• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 |OT| Forza turns 10

Lima

Isn't that tantamount to cheating though? Surely a big part of the decision to forego ABS is the extra challenge involved in threshold braking, carefully modulating the pressure to tread the fine line between arresting your speed and locking the wheels. If you are going to use a mechanical crutch so you can blindly "slam the trigger" to bypass that challenge without any skill whatsoever then you might as well just activate ABS and be done with it, getting a more realistic experience in the process.

Unless of course the real reason for disabling ABS is to maximise the XP/credit payout at the end of the race and not to make the game more realistic or challenging (and ultimately more immersive and a lot more fun). To me it seems pointless to disable ABS only to jam a brick under your brake pedal in case you press it a little too hard.

*shrugs*

Generally I agree with you but here are my issues.

Forza on Xbox One has such sensitive braking coupled with the poor triggers of the pad that I really like comfort wise and aesthetically but they have such a weak resistance that finer movements of the trigger become really hard to pull off.
It's a step back from the 360 controller where I never had any issues playing Forza.

The other thing is that either the triggers have a weird deadzone or the game doesn't have linear trigger travel for braking which means pressing the trigger 10% already applies 20% braking force for example. You can test this with the Elite if you play around with the trigger deadzones.

All in all yeah I could get just get gud and used to it, enable ABS or use my solution that works on a pad I paid fucking $150 for.

Okay you party pooper? ;)

frontieruk

Isn't that tantamount to cheating though? Surely a big part of the decision to forego ABS is the extra challenge involved in threshold braking, carefully modulating the pressure to tread the fine line between arresting your speed and locking the wheels. If you are going to use a mechanical crutch so you can blindly "slam the trigger" to bypass that challenge without any skill whatsoever then you might as well just activate ABS and be done with it, getting a more realistic experience in the process.

Unless of course the real reason for disabling ABS is to maximise the XP/credit payout at the end of the race and not to make the game more realistic or challenging (and ultimately more immersive and a lot more fun). To me it seems pointless to disable ABS only to jam a brick under your brake pedal in case you press it a little too hard.

*shrugs*

I wasn't going to say anything but as you seen to take everything as a personal attack I'm going to see this as an attack and call you out on it...

I don't actually have any sense of touch in my fingers after an accident 3 years ago, so modulating anything on the brakes is sheer guess work, with the accelerator I get a pretty good visual representation of what is going on via the speedo but braking not so much so its almost impossible for me to drive without abs as I either don't brake hard enough or to hard but by the time I realise its too late so anything that'll help is a god send, but if this offends your sensibility's perhaps gaming isn't really your thing seeing as everyone is always looking for an advantage.

You know what really disappoints me about your posts though Mascot??? FORZA GAF was the community that brought me back to gaming, I never told anyone why I locked up the brakes here, or missed the braking point there they didn't care, you to me ruin this thread by taking everything so personally and being passive aggressive leading to this thread derailing.

/rant and I'm out.

RawNuts

*shrugs*
I think we all realize by now just how shit braking is on a controller and it's why we typically tune brake pressure settings in 5 and 6 (there has been multiple discussions here about this); I don't blame someone if they choose to limit the trigger when like 50% of the travel is going to result in locking up the brakes. It's a lot better to set the limit so you can lock the brakes if you need to, without wasting all that trigger travel trying to find the sweet spot.

No need for personal insults, son. Keep it civil or keep it shut.
Also, in no way is that a personal insult. Calling what someone said dumb does not mean they're calling the person saying it dumb.

Honestly, Turn 10 is to blame for this damn braking discussion here.
The ABS in the game works like it's from the early 80s. You see a lot of tyre lock-up with ABS. The ABS in the game should be unrealistically ideal so that it adjusts the lengths of brake/roll phases to current speed and road surface as well as any changes made to the car by the player like wieght, suspension (weight-shifting), tyre compound, profile-height etc.

Or even better: They should give us traction control and ABS that are realistic on a per car basis (like some manufacturers allow more tcs slip than others or have smarter systems) with maybe options for sport, race and drift and then, when we ruined the original setting by upgrading the car, give us ABS and TCS tuning sliders. PCARS and Gran Turismo (for over 10 years now btw!) have sliders for those, why not Forza?

terrible

Banned

*shrugs*

How do you feel about the brake mod for the T3PA pedals? Similar kind of idea. If it makes the game more fun for someone then that's kind of all that matters.

Mascot

Generally I agree with you but here are my issues.

Forza on Xbox One has such sensitive braking coupled with the poor triggers of the pad that I really like comfort wise and aesthetically but they have such a weak resistance that finer movements of the trigger become really hard to pull off.
It's a step back from the 360 controller where I never had any issues playing Forza.

The other thing is that either the triggers have a weird deadzone or the game doesn't have linear trigger travel for braking which means pressing the trigger 10% already applies 20% braking force for example. You can test this with the Elite if you play around with the trigger deadzones.

All in all yeah I could get just get gud and used to it, enable ABS or use my solution that works on a pad I paid fucking $150 for.

Okay you party pooper? ;)

Ah, that does make sense. I also struggled with the Bone triggers when playing FM5 and FM6 but thought it was probably due to going back to a joypad after mostly using a wheel and pedals in FM2, 3 and 4. If the Elite controller effectively lets you tweak the deadzones then that's an awesome feature. Can the deadzones for the controller also be adjusted in-game like for FFB wheels/pedals?

I wasn't going to say anything but as you seen to take everything as a personal attack I'm going to see this as an attack and call you out on it...

I don't actually have any sense of touch in my fingers after an accident 3 years ago, so modulating anything on the brakes is sheer guess work, with the accelerator I get a pretty good visual representation of what is going on via the speedo but braking not so much so its almost impossible for me to drive without abs as I either don't brake hard enough or to hard but by the time I realise its too late so anything that'll help is a god send, but if this offends your sensibility's perhaps gaming isn't really your thing seeing as everyone is always looking for an advantage.

You know what really disappoints me about your posts though Mascot??? FORZA GAF was the community that brought me back to gaming, I never told anyone why I locked up the brakes here, or missed the braking point there they didn't care, you to me ruin this thread by taking everything so personally and being passive aggressive leading to this thread derailing.

/rant and I'm out.

Sorry to hear about your fingers. That must be rough. Absolutely no idea how or why you took my post as a personal attack though - I was genuinely curious, and Lima provided a very eloquent explanation. I'd love to know in what way I take 'everything so personally' as you claim, apart from not liking my posts being called 'dumb' when all I was doing was opening a discussion about the mechanics of braking. Think you might be pre-judging me a tad?

Also, in no way is that a personal insult. Calling what someone said dumb does not mean they're calling the person saying it dumb.

I guess it could be taken either way. It did feel aggressive to me at the time.

Noobcraft

I could stick a small children's book under my brake pedal and achieve the same inability to lock my wheels in real life. There's nothing wrong with using an elite controller and adjusting the dead zones to make braking easier lol.

And @mascot, you spend an awful lot of time in this thread for someone who hasn't even played Forza 6 or Horizon 2.

Mascot

I could stick a small children's book under my brake pedal and achieve the same inability to lock my wheels in real life. There's nothing wrong with using an elite controller and adjusting the dead zones to make braking easier lol.

And @mascot, you spend an awful lot of time in this thread for someone who hasn't even played Forza 6 or Horizon 2.

Who said there was anything wrong with it?

And I've played both a fair bit, just not on my Xbone (as I don't own it any more). I was playing FM6 yesterday, actually. I'll remain a big Forza fan. Have been one for over a decade. Does that answer your concerns?

terrible

Banned
If the in-game economy felt like it was geared towards microtransactions I'd be pissed but it's not. The fact is I have to grind less for cars in Forza 6 than I ever did in things like Gran Turismo 4 or whatever before microtransactions were even a thing. I recall having to run like 30 races on Suzuka in my Sunfire just to get enough money to buy an R32 Golf when I first started GT4 lol.

Stevey

Yeah the amount of money the game and Forza Hub throws at you, I cant see anyone needing to use micro transactions.

RawNuts

I'm from the future, there is no time to explain. I came with a warning.
I think the fact (regardless of how it affects this game) that this can be done after release is something worthy of discussion, I don't think it's stupid at all.
Our prophet tried to warn us, but we didn't listen! When the Forza economy was adjusted so much that tokens became the only form of progress, it was too late and all we could do was hopelessly dish out more money and continue buying Forza games.
We should have known that the non-invasive implementation of tokens into Forza 6 was nothing more than a ruse, a trojan horse strategy, and now it's simply too late to do anything about it! There is no halting the onslaught of the great microtransaction war machine; Turn 10 has us by the balls!

I think the fact (regardless of how it affects this game) that this can be done after release is something worthy of discussion, I don't think it's stupid at all.

It's really just the Groundhog Day element I have fun with.

Also, same thing happened with FH2. That thread only made it to two pages, though. You must have been busy that week.

15tYblG.gif

2 months since release and it is still impossible to do any sort of drag racing without paying for live.

This is literally a spit in the face at this point.

Just out of interest, and I know this doesn't excuse it, but why don't you have Gold?

I honestly do not care for playing in multiplayer, this is a car sandbox for me, I buy cars, tune them, tweak them, test them and that's my whole fun in this game. Been doing that since the original Forza. Hell, the original Gran Turismo.

Lima

Any of you Driveclub lovers played The Crew or plan on getting it with the Wild Run edition?

Thinking of picking it up.

Things were getting a tad Real Housewives earlier, but I, for one, am glad Mascot is around to say what needs to be said or just generally stir the shit. This thread would be utterly impoverished without him.

I honestly do not care for playing in multiplayer, this is a car sandbox for me, I buy cars, tune them, tweak them, test them and that's my whole fun in this game. Been doing that since the original Forza. Hell, the original Gran Turismo.

*high-five*

What keeps me coming back to Forza, warts and all, is that I play games because I love cars, and Forza simply gives me more of the ones I'm into to fuck around with than anyone else. The series' shortcomings and stagnation are certainly no secret 'round here, but fuck it; until and unless someone offers a greater breadth of metal, Turn 10 has my money.

*high-five*

What keeps me coming back to Forza, warts and all, is that I play games because I love cars, and Forza simply gives me more of the ones I'm into to fuck around with than anyone else. The series' shortcomings and stagnation are certainly no secret 'round here, but fuck it; until and unless someone offers a greater breadth of metal, Turn 10 has my money.

Thing is, I can't test my car's acceleration anymore.

Turn 10 won't have my money next time unless this is fixed.

If at least they would add drag rivals for each car class, I could test and tune them in there, and a lot of people would be happy to have those.

Mascot

Things were getting a tad Real Housewives earlier, but I, for one, am glad Mascot is around to say what needs to be said or just generally stir the shit. This thread would be utterly impoverished without him.
Aw, that's awfully nice of you to say, Spiff. I love all of ForzaGAF, even if I'm no longer a card-carrying member. Being on the outside does give me a more objective perspective these days as I'm no longer financially invested in the franchise. I'll always remain emotionally invested though. ForzaGAF always has been a very tight community and it doesn't take much for the wagons to form a circle, and as I've always been one of Forzas harshest critics I expect a bit of occasional flak here and there. The criticism is born from frustrated love though - FM is always nearly my perfect driving game. Who knows, maybe one day it will be.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Any of you Driveclub lovers played The Crew or plan on getting it with the Wild Run edition?

Thinking of picking it up.

I realllllly did not like the Beta for The Crew. Cars handled like shit. I don't know if anything changed since then

I'm having fun with The Crew so far.

The handling is a bit rough. Not sure if that's the RPGness and me still being a noob.

I've played with the settings and gotten it a lot better, but I still feel like I'm getting crazy exit oversteer at times.

Aw, that's awfully nice of you to say, Spiff. I love all of ForzaGAF, even if I'm no longer a card-carrying member. Being on the outside does give me a more objective perspective these days as I'm no longer financially invested in the franchise. I'll always remain emotionally invested though. ForzaGAF always has been a very tight community and it doesn't take much for the wagons to form a circle, and as I've always been one of Forzas harshest critics I expect a bit of occasional flak here and there. The criticism is born from frustrated love though - FM is always nearly my perfect driving game. Who knows, maybe one day it will be.

See this shit, you bastards? Mascot has feelings, too! Remember that the next time the man says what's up.

You can take the Forza out of ForzaGAF, but you can't take the GAF out of ForzaGAF. No one here has shit that doesn't stink, and like it or not, we've all been branded for life.
Even you, Xanadu

willbsn13

ShamePain

Banned
The decline is pretty apparent with Forza, FM6's community is already half-dead, which is a shame because it's easily the best FM game imo.
I guess we'll see how MS views this franchise and whether it will continue on @ next E3, if all is going well then we'll see Horizon 3 in 7 months.

Mascot

The decline is pretty apparent with Forza, FM6's community is already half-dead, which is a shame because it's easily the best FM game imo.
I guess we'll see how MS views this franchise and whether it will continue on @ next E3, if all is going well then we'll see Horizon 3 in 7 months.
This could easily be the last FM we see on current hardware. T10 could simply keep adding and expanding to 6 until better hardware facilitates dynamic weather and ToD without the compromises that T10 are unwilling to make.

Maybe it's time to open the door to a PC version? FM isn't the crown jewel system seller it once was.

https://twitter.com/BlackPanthaaYT/status/666910036044722176

Just saw somebody re-tweet this on twitter, have no idea if this guy knows his shit or has sources (just tweeted at him for a source) but that is seriously bad if true.

EDIT: Lol he used Chartzzz nvm - https://twitter.com/BlackPanthaaYT/status/666913482336559104

And this is why YouTube "personalities" aren't taken seriously. Forget that that # would mean that double the amount of people who bought the game at retail have played it, which is not realistic no matter how many games were bought used. Never mind the fact that in the UK bundles count as sales and Driveclub was bundled with almost all PS4s in the UK, and every week GAF commented in the UK sales thread the exorbitant amount of used copies they saw in game stores.

And also who is taking Mascot seriously? He's had a stick up his ass about Forza for years, don't take it personal its just what he does. You can't blame a dog for being a dog, or Mascot for making a stink about something Forza related.

ShamePain

Banned
This could easily be the last FM we see on current hardware. T10 could simply keep adding and expanding to 6 until better hardware facilitates dynamic weather and ToD without the compromises that T10 are unwilling to make.

Maybe it's time to open the door to a PC version? FM isn't the crown jewel system seller it once was.

I doubt lack of dynamic ToD/Weather is the reason for low sales. Market saturation is more like it, as good as FH is, people are kinda sick of yearly Forza games. There's hardly been any excitement for Forza 6 from both the press and games. A lot less interviews than for previous games.

There's no doubt 6 is the best Forza yet but I just can't face it right now.

It's got a great car list but I'm just not buying some of the simulation aspect and force feedback, certain car/track combinations can feel great but the vast majority I'm not digging at all. The stalling when using a clutch is also stupid, it's done much better on PC sims, frustrating and silly. The whole thing needs a shake up before I get excited for the next FM.

Mascot

I doubt lack of dynamic ToD/Weather is the reason for low sales. Market saturation is more like it, as good as FH is, people are kinda sick of yearly Forza games. There's hardly been any excitement for Forza 6 from both the press and games. A lot less interviews than for previous games.

ToD and weather might be a factor now that other games are doing it more comprehensively (albeit with associated performance issues). FM6's night and weather are kind of half-assed purely due to hardware limitations, but you are right - the franchise is stagnating and could do with a shake up. It'll be very interesting to see how GT Sport is received, as a more motorsports-focussed iteration is exactly what I've been wanting from FM for several years. If GT Sport gets a lot of plaudits I can easily see a similar spin-off for FM, even if that would potentially give us three versions in the franchise and lead to greater saturation and congestion in the release schedule. FM seems to have been the architect of its own demise in trying to be every (racing) game to every man when a little more focus is probably called for. The whole experience seems to be getting more and more diluted somehow. The sim physics are still present and correct but they are increasingly wrapped up in an arcade game structure.

Castaway

https://twitter.com/BlackPanthaaYT/status/666910036044722176

Just saw somebody re-tweet this on twitter, have no idea if this guy knows his shit or has sources (just tweeted at him for a source) but that is seriously bad if true.

EDIT: Lol he used Chartzzz nvm - https://twitter.com/BlackPanthaaYT/status/666913482336559104

This is complete B.S. - the guy is quoting retail sources, which are dubious at best, and do not reflect the massive growth in digital sales / games on demand across the industry, which are not tracked in these reports at all.

When you see 1 million+ unique players in FM6 just two months from release, and 2.3 million+ unique players in Horizon 2 a year from its release (not even counting 360), and make the faulty assumption that a large number of those users are shared profiles on the same box, you're smoking the drapes - that's a very low % of Xbox One owners. For a platform exclusive franchise, Forza is doing very well.

terrible

Banned
Thing is, I can't test my car's acceleration anymore.

Turn 10 won't have my money next time unless this is fixed.

If at least they would add drag rivals for each car class, I could test and tune them in there, and a lot of people would be happy to have those.

The lack of free play mode options in general is pretty laughable imo. How hard would it be to let us set up a race weekend, choose our opponents cars, or even set grid positions? This is super basic shit.

ShamePain

Banned
ToD and weather might be a factor now that other games are doing it more comprehensively (albeit with associated performance issues). FM6's night and weather are kind of half-assed purely due to hardware limitations, but you are right - the franchise is stagnating and could do with a shake up. It'll be very interesting to see how GT Sport is received, as a more motorsports-focussed iteration is exactly what I've been wanting from FM for several years. If GT Sport gets a lot of plaudits I can easily see a similar spin-off for FM, even if that would potentially give us three versions in the franchise and lead to greater saturation and congestion in the release schedule. FM seems to have been the architect of its own demise in trying to be every (racing) game to every man when a little more focus is probably called for. The whole experience seems to be getting more and more diluted somehow. The sim physics are still present and correct but they are increasingly wrapped up in an arcade game structure.

There really is no correlation with what GT is doing and what Forza should be doing. GT is a much much bigger franchise worldwide and anything PD puts out will blow Forza away sales wise. If anything a sports oriented Forza would sell like 50k copies tops.
I think in general interest for cars is pretty low among younger demographic, plus X1 isn't selling too well, so there you have what you have. I guess T10 could cut down on staff to counter low sales, so next Forza could have 5 new tracks and say 50 new cars, I think they've reached a point of having enough content with Forza 6 as far as tracks/cars go, so investing a ton of money into content doesn't make a lot of sense, especially considering how expensive licensing/workforce is.

Mascot

There really is no correlation with what GT is doing and what Forza should be doing. GT is a much much bigger franchise worldwide and anything PD puts out will blow Forza away sales wise. If anything a sports oriented Forza would sell like 50k copies tops.
I think in general interest for cars is pretty low among younger demographic, plus X1 isn't selling too well, so there you have what you have. I guess T10 could cut down on staff to counter low sales, so next Forza could have 5 new tracks and say 50 new cars, I think they've reached a point of having enough content with Forza 6 as far as tracks/cars go, so investing a ton of money into content doesn't make a lot of sense, especially considering how expensive licensing/workforce is.

What's frustrating is that FM could add features to cater for the more 'hardcore' crowd with relatively little work (eg collate times and *voila!*, turn practice laps into quali laps) which might attract more players. This needn't even interfere with the current structure of the game as it could all be hidden behind a totally separate mode. FM seems to get more 'casual' and arcadey with every release and that could be putting some customers off who are looking for a more serious motorsports experience.

danowat

Banned
What's frustrating is that FM could add features to cater for the more 'hardcore' crowd with relatively little work (eg collate times and *voila!*, turn practice laps into quali laps) which might attract more players. This needn't even interfere with the current structure of the game as it could all be hidden behind a totally separate mode. FM seems to get more 'casual' and arcadey with every release and that could be putting some customers off who are looking for a more serious motorsports experience.

Screw that.

MOR LIMOZ PLEZZE!!

Top Bottom