• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 |OT| Forza turns 10

gragy10

Got my league time down to a 2:05.285 - chances of me falling asleep during the race 50/50 after getting up at 4.50am to catch the GP :/

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Got my league time down to a 2:05.285 - chances of me falling asleep during the race 50/50 after getting up at 4.50am to catch the GP :/

Hah, it was 1am for me. Ferrari fucked themselves by not changing tires during the red flag.

Anyway, got time down to 2:07.372.

Devildoll

t1458500400z1.png

zorbsie

A small group today, but great races with everyone. Had a crazy tight battle with Shortt. Almost had him near the end but messed up a turn. lol. Thanks for coming out everyone.

Do we need to send out flares for Soundscream? It's been two weeks and haven't heard from him. Has he...has he switched over to #Driveclub?

gragy10

A small group today, but great races with everyone. Had a crazy tight battle with Shortt. Almost had him near the end but messed up a turn. lol. Thanks for coming out everyone.

Do we need to send out flares for Soundscream? It's been two weeks and haven't heard from him. Has he...has he switched over to #Driveclub?

Just as much of a blast as the last few weeks despite the small field :)
I completely missed the green light while swapping out my mic for headphones, bumped Jello at nearly all of the first 6 turns (sory Jello :/), spent the race chasing Scr0ne, then when I finally passed him I forgot how to drive and got over the line less then a tenth ahead. Bring on Prague!
(also, the Group C's at night after were legit terrifying)

So after one virtual race as part of Formula E events taking place in rFactor 2 (it's hard to watch, maybe don't) and only getting bad press, they had "race off" in Forza 6 against a gamer (on Rio, and not on a Formula E race weekend) and there is news that Forza 6 will have Formula E challenges starting tomorrow. There will be 4 Rivals events starting with Long Beach, where the next Formula E race will take place as well. Thing is, all the other tracks Formula E races on are not in Forza.
No news whether they ditched rFactor 2 or the entire format or will use Forza from now in the pre-race virtual counterpart... and on entirely different tracks.

zorbsie

week19_headerjisav.png

The changes we made to car selection was a huge success. Nice to see a broader selection of cars on the grid last week. This weekend we're going to Prague, in reverse.

Question: I just realized this is Easter weekend for some of us. Might be a bad time to have a race weekend. For the regulars, is this going to be an issue? We can always move the date to Saturday this weekend or move it to next Sunday. What do you guys think?

Here are the up to date standings. P3tran is way ahead. I've already made plans to send his trophy to Greece. :)

Standard info for new comers:
Race day schedule:

We will have a 4 lap practice race with collisions off. You will try to get your best time in this race. The real race will use best lap times in ascending order for grid placement. Collisions will be always on, make sure to turn off sim damage on your end.

As always the lobby will be up at 3:00pm Eastern Sunday. The race should take 15 - 20 minutes to finish. After the race feel free to stick around and do more races with the group.

Can't make it on Sunday? Join in the fun by doing this weeks time trial. Post your best time on this weeks track before the race on Sunday to be included. Points will be given on time trials as well as the actual race.

Sunday race will be Prague Full - Reverse
Don't forget that the car you use in time trial is the car you use on race day. Also the car you pick is the car you keep for the whole series.

Who can join?
Anyone on GAF is more than welcome to join. Just picked up FM6? leave me your GT and I'll send you an invite on race day. Simple as that.

Questions/Suggestions? I'm all ears.

I won't be able to make it because of Easter Sunday. Going to my dad's and going to try to not be an asshole around all the religious folks there...

Its the greatest game of the generation. Jesus arouse with the sole purpose of ensuring he could inspire future generations to strive to create perfection in video game form......#DRIVECLUB!

zorbsie

Looks like I'll be busy Sunday too. I like Devildoll's suggestion of doing 2 races next week. Tomorrow night will be the cut off for prague times.

SoundScream, good to see you back. As amazing as #Driveclub is, I knew it couldn't keep you away.

Finally picked this up! Got the ultimate edition on sale for $60. Got tired of playing forza 5 and I'm really looking forward to getting into the Porsche DLC.

zorbsie

week20_header4ms4a.png

We will be doing 2 races this weekend. First will be Prague and then Yas Marina Full. You can start posting times for Yas now.

I haven't added peoples Prague times but here are the up to date standings anyway.

Standard info for new comers:
Race day schedule:
We will have a 4 lap practice race with collisions off. You will try to get your best time in this race. The real race will use best lap times in ascending order for grid placement. Collisions will be always on, make sure to turn off sim damage on your end.

Car class: R865 Modern GT (Our definition for Modern is anything made after 2000)

As always the lobby will be up at 3:00pm Eastern Sunday. The race should take 15 - 20 minutes to finish. After the race feel free to stick around and do more races with the group.

Can't make it on Sunday? Join in the fun by doing this weeks time trial. Post your best time on this weeks track before the race on Sunday to be included. Points will be given on time trials as well as the actual race.

Sunday race will be Prague Full - Reverse and Yas Marina Full
Don't forget that the car you use in time trial is the car you use on race day. Also the car you pick is the car you keep for the whole series.

Who can join?
Anyone on GAF is more than welcome to join. Just picked up FM6? leave me your GT and I'll send you an invite on race day. Simple as that.

Questions/Suggestions? I'm all ears.

frontieruk

Well as we suspected after the Forza Apex announcement :

Microsoft Build keynote said:
The gaming portion of the keynote started out with an announcement that Forza is going to be created as a universal app going forward

More sales = more cars and tracks to play with for us.

And if the game sells well on PC = more chances that Forza keeps alive as a Franchise, I dont know if you guys have been keeping the count on MS franchises but they are very good killing them when one or tittles doesnt sell as they expect, may I remind you of Project Gotham, Conker, Mech Assault and now it seems Fable (of their last important franchises)

And if the game sells well on PC = more chances that Forza keeps alive as a Franchise, I dont know if you guys have been keeping the count on MS franchises but they are very good killing them when one or tittles doesnt sell as they expect, may I remind you of Project Gotham, Conker, Mech Assault and now it seems Fable (of their last important franchises)
I always believed 3 and 4 did really well, but I've let myself be educated not long ago, since 2 they all only sold about 2-3 million copies... in that regard Forza 6 is doing fine, they probably never sold more DLC than with 6.

I wish the Win10 store had something like steam forums populated with the samee kind of mix of gamers posting there. Super curious about the hands-on impressions and reactions to Apex.

ShamePain

Banned

Nah, T10 is their most valuable first party dev right now, I believe forza has solid sales and smartly managed budget along with regular releases keeps costs in check, plus it currently has better goodwill than say Halo which has been on the decline.
The first Rio race leaderboard shows 2.25 mil entries, so I think it's doing well, plus it keeps charting in the sales thread, while Halo 5 dropped long ago.

Would be nice if I could get into GAF races here, my GT is SimTourist. Do you guys use party chat?

zorbsie

Would be nice if I could get into GAF races here, my GT is SimTourist. Do you guys use party chat?

We have league races on Sunday. Details are a couple posts above this. Have a car ready and we'll make sure you get an invite into the races. We find party chat works better than in game chat. It's great that the online can have 24 players, but the voice chat is broken. We tend to be a chatty bunch so bring a mic. :)

I always believed 3 and 4 did really well, but I've let myself be educated not long ago, since 2 they all only sold about 2-3 million copies... in that regard Forza 6 is doing fine, they probably never sold more DLC than with 6.

I wish the Win10 store had something like steam forums populated with the samee kind of mix of gamers posting there. Super curious about the hands-on impressions and reactions to Apex.

Forza 3 and 4 are the best selling games of the franchise, Forza 5 in other hand didnt sell near as well, Forza Horizon sold decent and I dont think Forza Horizon 2 sold that much. Forza 6 probably havent reach 2 millions copies sold yet.

So if you take that in the count Forza is not as solid as it used to be, I would say racing games in general, GT 6 is another case.

MS has an history of closing down studios and dropping franchises without much oportunities. So, anything that improve Forza sales is good in my eyes.

Forza 3 and 4 are the best selling games of the franchise, Forza 5 in other hand didnt sell near as well, Forza Horizon sold decent and I dont think Forza Horizon 2 sold that much. Forza 6 probably havent reach 2 millions copies sold yet.

So if you take that in the count Forza is not as solid as it used to be, I would say racing games in general, GT 6 is another case.

MS has an history of closing down studios and dropping franchises without much oportunities. So, anything that improve Forza sales is good in my eyes.

I really don't want to get into sales discussions any more (why did I start this-.-), but if you have sales data for 3 or 4, I'd be very interested.

ShamePain

Banned

Forza 5 was bundled to hell and back, Horizon 2 and Forza 6 did well too in the long term, the games have good legs, people pick them up when the prices go down a bit. There's really no need to worry. Forza 6 has 2.25 mil people on the first leaderboard that everyone has to post time to, it's doing well, having a lot of shared assets like cars, sounds, engine, ui, etc. helps T10/PG keep costs in check. Cars and tracks are usually the most expensive assets to acquire.

Forza 4 had more than 5.5 million users on the leaderboards last time I check, Forza 3 had a lot too, Forza 5, 6, Horizon and Horzon 2 are not close of that, theres a decline in the sales, I dont believe anyone can say the contrary. And doesnt mean Forza is not a success but is not a good in sales as before. I would love to believe Forza is absolutely out of any risk in the future but I not so sure. Is for that being release on PC too is a good thing for Forza in my eyes.

ShamePain

Banned
Forza 4 had more than 5.5 million users on the leaderboards last time I check, Forza 3 had a lot too, Forza 5, 6, Horizon and Horzon 2 are not close of that, theres a decline in the sales, I dont believe anyone can say the contrary. And doesnt mean Forza is not a success but is not a good in sales as before. I would love to believe Forza is absolutely out of any risk in the future but I not so sure. Is for that being release on PC too is a good thing for Forza in my eyes.

90 million Xbox 360 userbase vs 20 million Xbox One userbase, it's simple.

Sales GAF is insane. There were people on this board calling Forza 4 a flop when it came out, now it's being trumpeted as the pinnacle of Forza sales. You can't look at sales in a vacuum, there are factors which inflate #s ( install base, bundles...). Hell the FM5 # jumped above 5 million when they did the free weekend.
Forza 6 is not even a year old and over 2 million people have played it, it's fine. Plus they have a solid DLC model which generates income for them. They don't really on the GT method of selling 10+ million to be successful.

Castaway

Time plays a factor in number of players who have entered times on leaderboards. Newer games with fewer total leaderboard posts does not mean a slide in unit sales - older games continue to scoop up new players, just like the newer games will over time. Forza sales don't take off at launch like shooters...it's more of a slow and steady burn.

• Forza 3 (released in 2009) has had over 6 years' worth of new players posting leaderboard entries
  • Forza 4 has had 4 1/2 years
  • Horizon, 3 1/2 years
  • Forza 5, 2 1/2 years
  • Horizon 2, 18 months
  • Forza 6 only about six months.
Also consider that the larger number of players you see in older titles is influenced by other factors: older games are more likely to be passed down to family or friends, bought used, sold at discount, rented, etc., picking up even more players. But with the exception of discounts, none of those players equals a unit sale.

Any game franchise that manages to release a new title every year that steadily sells over 2+ million units within its first couple of years (and even more over its lifetime) like Forza appears to is a healthy franchise - especially a console exclusive. It's not hard to imagine this growing even more with PC releases as well.

Gran Turismo 6 only sold a little over a million units in the first months and is now at almost 5 million sales. Even GT5 still sold another 230,000 units after 2013.

It's bad that people are not willing to pay full price for top tier console racing games, but on the other hand it's great that such a broad audience at least has some interest in these titles and will buy them when the price and time is right.

ShamePain

Banned
Yeah, I don't see any reason to be down on Forza, T10/PG always meet deadlines, meet sales and critical reception projections, plus Forza serves to plug software holes when halo and gears are not around. I think the franchise would benefit from a 3 year dev cycle per series, PG could develop a larger world and more interesting events, T10 could add even more cars and tracks and maybe develop a new large scale feature, they haven't had one since Forza 3's cockpits.

Time plays a factor in number of players who have entered times on leaderboards. Newer games with fewer total leaderboard posts does not mean a slide in unit sales - older games continue to scoop up new players, just like the newer games will over time. Forza sales don't take off at launch like shooters...it's more of a slow and steady burn.

• Forza 3 (released in 2009) has had over 6 years' worth of new players posting leaderboard entries
  • Forza 4 has had 4 1/2 years
  • Horizon, 3 1/2 years
  • Forza 5, 2 1/2 years
  • Horizon 2, 18 months
  • Forza 6 only about six months.
Also consider that the larger number of players you see in older titles is influenced by other factors: older games are more likely to be passed down to family or friends, bought used, sold at discount, rented, etc., picking up even more players. But with the exception of discounts, none of those players equals a unit sale.

Any game franchise that manages to release a new title every year that steadily sells over 2+ million units within its first couple of years (and even more over its lifetime) like Forza appears to is a healthy franchise - especially a console exclusive. It's not hard to imagine this growing even more with PC releases as well.

In my opinion you guys are way to optimistic about the sales of the games after Forza 4. If you dont take base my opinion in leaderboards and the ******** (I know its not accurate but they can atleast show the tendency). and this https://www.gtplanet.net/racing-games-are-better-than-ever-so-why-arent-they-selling/
Im not saying Forza 6 is not solid on sale, just that Forza franchise as a whole seems to be selling less and if the trend continues the future could be not so good for out beloved saga.

I hope Im wrong and Forza have a solid future both on console and PC.

Top Bottom