• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza - updated car list and new screens

Redbeard

Banned
From The Cars of Forza Part 2.

Mid and High Level Sports Cars
1984 Ferrari 288GTO
1997 Honda NSX-R
2004 Honda NSX-R
2002 Lotus Esprit V8
2000 Ford Mustang Cobra R
2003 Dodge Viper SRT10 (top up)
1993 Ferrari 512TR
2004 Ferrari 360 Modena F1
1998 Ferrari F355 Berlinetta F1 hardtop
1998 Ferrari F355 Challenge
2004 Ferrari 360 CS (Challenge Stradale)
2005 Ferrari 612 Scaglietti
2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
2005 Chevrolet Corvette C6 Coupe
2003 Porsche 911 (996) GT3
1995 Porsche 911 (993) GT2
1999 Shelby Series 1
2001 TVR Tuscan R

forza-motorsport-20040804070215197.jpg
forza-motorsport-20040804070218635.jpg
forza-motorsport-20040804070219135.jpg
forza-motorsport-20040804070220041.jpg
forza-motorsport-20040804070221494.jpg
forza-motorsport-20040804070221010.jpg
forza-motorsport-20040804070220494.jpg
forza-motorsport-20040804070219588.jpg

Insertia

ah, the Lotus model looks great, the others not so much so. The bland lighting is really holding Forza back.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
BeOnEdge said:
sweet jesus

forza-motorsport-20040804070219135.jpg

too bad GT will own this game saleswise. i dub thee "flopza"

it's got one sale right here, and that's all i care about. Stop bashing the game and comparing it to GT because it's getting really old now.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
the detail in the cars and backgrounds is astounding... there is no way forza will be 60fps

Subitai

Polyphony's artists are just more experienced at this point. That's why it still looks more realistic with less detail.

Gek54

Subitai said:
Polyphony's artists are just more experienced at this point. That's why it still looks more realistic with less detail.

LOL Polyphony more experienced than every other developer? Hmm.

op_ivy

belgurdo said:
forza-motorsport-20040804070219588.jpg

Is this one of those color changing paint jobs? That'll look so awesome

yeah, you can kinda see it in the other shot as well. the same paint job was in pgr2, but it looks much more convincing here

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
DopeyFish said:

dopey when's the game cumming out and can you give us any details on the rumored FF wheel being bundled with the game?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
forza is only 30fps. read the new XBN... i wrote a feature on it from my visit the other month.

as for the wheel... they're not saying one way or the other but they're hinting that a deal is in the works. :p

----

http://chespace.1up.com

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Forza was on Cinematech the other day... I believe the clips they showed were just the trailer that's been downloadable... the environment and environmental effect looked great... the reflections on the cars and the cars themselves look a bit washed out though.

op_ivy

chespace said:
forza is only 30fps. read the new XBN... i wrote a feature on it from my visit the other month.

as for the wheel... they're not saying one way or the other but they're hinting that a deal is in the works. :p

----

http://chespace.1up.com

and GAF cries.

meanwhile, i enjoyed the shit out of pgr2, and forza at e3, so i'll pick it up regardless.60fps is just another graphical feature, it is by no means a necessity (puts on flame suit)

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
chespace said:
forza is only 30fps. read the new XBN... i wrote a feature on it from my visit the other month.[/url]

Let the bitching commence. Personally, the only thing that makes me wish it was 60 is that every, single thread about it from now on will quickly devolve into some kind of fps pissing contest.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Yep, all intrest = Gone

God I wish PGR2 was 60fps, the game would have looked so much better then the blurry mess it is now... oh well

WHY OH WHY MS DO YOU PUT GRAPHICS OVER FRAMERATE!!!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
DarienA said:
Forza was on Cinematech the other day... I believe the clips they showed were just the trailer that's been downloadable... the environment and environmental effect looked great... the reflections on the cars and the cars themselves look a bit washed out though.

Darien can I ask what is Cinematech? Is that a TV show? What channel and time does it come on?

60 fps is the standard in this day and age. There's no excuse for a 30 fps racing game at this point in time. Especially on the superior Xbox. If their goal isn't 60 fps, they need to just stop right now. GT4 is a must-buy, if Forza wants to be even considered then they have to at least match GT4's framerate. All the pretty high res textures don't mean shit when they stutter by at 30 fps, so they can cut whatever they need to to achieve 60 fps first.

Rallisport 2 already proved you can make an amazing looking racing game on Xbox and still keep a solid 60 fps. These guys have no excuse. PGR2 was such a disappointment thanks to the 30 fps. That game looked awesome on my 51" hdtv when I froze it, but in motion it looks like dogshit.

jedimike

Suikoguy said:
Yep, all intrest = Gone

God I wish PGR2 was 60fps, the game would have looked so much better then the blurry mess it is now... oh well

WHY OH WHY MS DO YOU PUT GRAPHICS OVER FRAMERATE!!!

All the pretty high res textures don't mean shit when they stutter by at 30 fps

You guys crack me up... since when is 30 fps a blurry stuttering mess?

60fps is just another graphical feature, it is by no means a necessity

exactly. Besides, joe gamer can't tell the difference, doesn't know there is a difference, and could care less if he did know there was a difference.

Unfortunately joe gamer has also never heard of Forza... but he has certainly heard of Gran Turismo.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
You guys crack me up... since when is 30 fps a blurry stuttering mess?

Has been for me since I started gaming in 60fps.
Sudeki is blurry during scrolling too, however its not too bad cause your not moving really fast.

In racing things are constantly moving, therefor 60fps makes a world of difference.
30fps PGR2 was bad enough, but when I put it on my 100inch screen... *cries from eyes bleeding*

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
the game is due out on the Xbox anniversary. (11/15/04) according to ebgames, anyways.

I have not heard a thing about a wheel, doesn't mean they won't bring one.

Ranger X

Oh yeah and can someone explain to me why there's no fucking Ferrari in GT4 but there is some in Forza?? Microsoft is paying big bucks that Polyphony don't have for that?? ??

Hellraizah

I wonder if Gran Turismo 4 will run in progressive scan. I also wonder how many people will be able to race at one time, online, in a circuit.

Idem for Forza.

Suikoguy

Hellraizah said:
I wonder if Gran Turismo 4 will run in progressive scan. I also wonder how many people will be able to race at one time, online, in a circuit.

Idem for Forza.

I'm not quite sure what point your trying to make
I'd take 60fps over Progressive scan anyday.

However since you mention it, It would not surprise me if GT4 is progressive scan since the majority of sony's first party releases have been Proscan

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Kaz has already commented on Proscan on GT4 and that he won't use it. Basically, he said alot of the effects had to be turned off because of 480p.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/515/515023p1.html

But with all the eye-candy going on there will be no progressive scan mode. It was stated that the game actually looks worst in progressive scan as many of the effects have to be turned off to make the mode work.
He could have changed his mind or not by now.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
This 30 fps nonsense needs to stop. It's funny to hear people claim that us 60 fps lovers are silly for barking about the framerate being too low, like we're being stuck on graphical features instead of seeing the actual game. When in fact the ones whoring about graphics aren't really us, but the people who decided to have this game running at 30 fps in order to add more graphical details!

How could a developer of a "serious" racing game choose pretty graphics over a "feature" that, IMO, enhances the gameplay feeling? Are they even aware of the difference between 30 and 60 fps in a racing game? I mean, if they're racing fanatics, I just don't see it. If they (as in the higher-ups, the developers, or whoever decided this) want to make more money by showing off better graphics however, I see the point with their decision. Although I do not approve of it all, of course. :p

FightyF

Banned
forza-motorsport-20040804070215197.jpg

forza-motorsport-20040804070220494.jpg

I think those two look great.

All of these shots look like they are from the same track. It looks like they were trying to achieve a hazy look to the track.

IJoel

I wish they would've designed it with 60 fps in mind.

As for progressive scan, don't undermine how good it makes a game look. Nowadays there's no excuse for having games not supporting progressive scan. If MS gets the flak for not having Forza run at 60 fps, Sony should also get it for not having GT4 support progressive scan.

op_ivy

Kiriku said:
This 30 fps nonsense needs to stop. It's funny to hear people claim that us 60 fps lovers are silly for barking about the framerate being too low, like we're being stuck on graphical features instead of seeing the actual game. When in fact the ones whoring about graphics aren't really us, but the people who decided to have this game running at 30 fps in order to add more graphical details!

ummm, if your willing to completely dismiss any racer cause its *gasp* 30fps... you have problems.

How could a developer of a "serious" racing game choose pretty graphics over a "feature" that, IMO, enhances the gameplay feeling? Are they even aware of the difference between 30 and 60 fps in a racing game? I mean, if they're racing fanatics, I just don't see it. If they (as in the higher-ups, the developers, or whoever decided this) want to make more money by showing off better graphics however, I see the point with their decision. Although I do not approve of it all, of course. :p

i'll agree that 60fps is better. i'd take a 60 fps forza with toned down visuals over what they've decided... but i'm not gonna talk all kinds of shit and refuse to give the game a chance because its 30 fps.

op_ivy

and just like pgr2, the reason the game has a fake look has mostly to do with fucked up color balance.

forza-motorsport-20040804070221494.jpg

i probably made that to blue, but you get the idea. it certainly looks quite a bit more realistic to me.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
op_ivy said:
ummm, if your willing to completely dismiss any racer cause its *gasp* 30fps... you have problems.

I can play 30 fps racers, just as I can watch movies on VHS instead of DVD. ;)

Suikoguy

i'll agree that 60fps is better. i'd take a 60 fps forza with toned down visuals over what they've decided... but i'm not gonna talk all kinds of shit and refuse to give the game a chance because its 30 fps.

If i'm finished with GT4, and there are no better choices when Forza releases I may check it out.

FightyF

Banned

I agree, the arguement is backwards. The ones not minding it at 30 fps are the graphic whores, and the ones who want it at 60 fps are the ones who just want to play the game, and don't care about having the absolute best in graphics.

Personally I'm sort of stuck. I'm a graphics whore so I want these types of jaw-dropping visuals. Though as a racing fan, I realize that 30 fps (even when controlling at 60 fps, like PGR2) does affect your reaction time, and when you're going 150 mph approaching a chicane, timing is everything. Turning in a 1/4 of a second too late, can ruin the turn!

But if I could offer any advice to MS, it would be that if they release this game at 60 fps, it could be known as the GT killer (that is, if the gameplay is as good as the feature-list makes it out to be). If it remains at 30 fps, it's going to be another gorgeous Xbox racer, that will always be considered a good effort but not good enough to be considered the best racing game. Being crowned as either "GT Killer" or "Xbox's own GT" would do so much more for sales than a gorgeous looking 30 fps game.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Kiriku said:
I can play 30 fps racers, just as I can watch movies on VHS instead of DVD. ;)
That analogy will hold when movies start being released on VHS only.

op_ivy

Fight for Freeform said:
I agree, the arguement is backwards. The ones not minding it at 30 fps are the graphic whores, and the ones who want it at 60 fps are the ones who just want to play the game, and don't care about having the absolute best in graphics.

bullshit. its just a different kind of graphic whorism.

FightyF

Banned
op_ivy...now aren't you whining about bad art? ;) I kid!

I remember doing that to a couple of PGR2 pics long ago...and someone posted it on Bizarre's forums without telling me. *looks over at BOE* :)

Funny thing is, op_ivy, I just did the same to another screenshot, but I'll do it to the one you chose and I'll post it. What I did was increase the contrast, because GT's contrast is pretty high.

Top Bottom