• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom Wars |OT| Vita's imprisonment for million years

Jimrpg

How's the game?

Are there any reviews so I can see how it plays and what you have to do?

Also the OP is super image heavy and its probably going to kill mobiles...

incpdo

i didnt play a lot yet but im loving all of it , im trying to get used to the controls yet.
Im guessing this game will sell well on western seas , if thats possible.

GReeeeN

When does co-op/ ad hoc play start?, I got a bunch of mates over and we've all been doing the tutorial for about an hour now

ramyeon

Failed my first op. The first one in Code 4 where you have to race the enemy to rescue citizens. Really hectic.

Edit: LOL and then I just beat it right away. Much easier if you command everyone to rescue civilians and just ignore attacking the enemies.

ramyeon

Anyone around and wanna play some co-op or PVP? Seems to be a bit hard to find rooms that aren't full at the moment.

Guymelef

Do you people use your real name on register? what name see the other people online? Name or last name?
I don't want to use my real name? should I use my nick on "Last name"?

elmars369

Unconfirmed Member
Do you people use your real name on register? what name see the other people online? Name or last name?
I don't want to use my real name? should I use my nick on "Last name"?
People online only see your first name. Unless you share your rap sheet with them, then, I think, they can see both.
Anyone around and wanna play some co-op or PVP? Seems to be a bit hard to find rooms that aren't full at the moment.
I'm a measly CODE 2 but if you want we could play.

Manac0r

Only CODE level 2 but here is my initial impression:

This game is 'dense' (heard a fellow GAFFer refer to FW in this way). There is a lot thrown at you from the start, so if you were hoping to pick up and play then I'm afraid you will have to be patient and soak up the ambience of the game.

Mechanically there is a lot to process with bindings, shooting and melee all part of the control scheme, and buttons having several functions depending on context. However this actually leads to a very rich repertoire while in combat, giving you 'freedom' on how you want to play including mobility/combat.

Graphically the game is gorgeous, with robust customisation and hardly a jaggy in sight. There are a lot of unlocks to keep you going and you can save load outs and style sets for quick changes.

At this price point it's definitely worth picking up, it may not feel accessible at the start, and it is heavy on narrative, but perseverance is rewarded. My main gripe is that combat feels great but I feel like I have spent more time in my cell, menus and surrounding area than on the battlefield. But I'm still learning the ropes....

Ohnonono

My impressions. Be ready to take it a little slow and enjoy the world they have built. I am Code rank 2, almost 3, and so far have really enjoyed all of the systems in the game (crafting factories, combining weapons, buying... freedoms, lol.) The gameplay itself is really fun BUT you will need to figure out the best control scheme for you. I still have not settled on what is best but it has a lot of options.

One of the coolest features (at least so far) is the varied missions. Rescues are fun. You don't have to kill the abductor(though I am sure you get more parts that way) and so there are multiple ways to take on any given situation. There are also even as early in as I am a new mission type where you are fighting other Sinners that really changes the way you play the game to win. I have played a ton of hunting games and it includes crushing every psp MH game. This and SS come very close as far as setting and innovation. In the end I think this wins out, especially once I really get the controls down. It is fun making you sinner look cool and weapon crafting so far has been fun, but the gameplay and jumping around pulling off cool moves really seem to be the focus.

I say good on it. Just note that it plays pretty differently from a lot of hunting games and the tone/story is VERY different. If you don't enjoy the world of the game I think you would lose a little something.

ramyeon

People online only see your first name. Unless you share your rap sheet with them, then, I think, they can see both.

I'm a measly CODE 2 but if you want we could play.
If you're still around I'm still keen. I can make a room with a password and whoever sees it can join. I got a couple of hours to kill before SMTIV comes out :p

So is rescuing civilians the only PvP mode?
That's all I keep getting.
Nope, never had that one myself. I only had team battles where you have to kill each other.

nampad

The start of this game annoys me so much. Yeah, let me do a fucking character creator back to back because I just want to play a game?
And does my fucking accessory stop to fucking blabber and let me save my fucking game?
Because your characters aren't saved automatically after you have done it. I learned the hard way and had to do it twice.

edit: handholding tutorial screens everywhere, yes, I have played a video game before...

ramyeon

The start of this game annoys me so much. Yeah, let me do a fucking character creator back to back because I just want to play a game?
And does my fucking accessory stop to fucking blabber and let me save my fucking game?
Because your characters aren't saved automatically after you have done it. I learned the hard way and had to do it twice.
So you'd rather not be able to customise your accessory?

Manac0r

Just note that it plays pretty differently from a lot of hunting games and the tone/story is VERY different. If you don't enjoy the world of the game I think you would lose a little something.

I concur whole heartily.

***Brrr, Brrr*** UNAUTHORISED CONCURRING WITHOUT PERMIT: 20 YEARS ADDED TO SENTENCE ***Brrr, Brrr***

nampad

Wait, only 1 character per Vita?

You're gonna have fun when you get to the start of Code 2 if you thought that hurt the pacing :p

I am just annoyed because I had to do the character creation again because I had to close the game yesterday and normally it should have autosaved it. And then before I can do anything I get bombarded by stuff. Heck, I can't even save when I want to, I have to earn that entitlement :p

This is such bad game design which added to my Vita database being corrupted, which is way I needed to restart.

Jams775

This game is amazing to me. I'm really digging the story so far which I am kind of surprised at. I think this is the first time in a long time I've pre ordered a game and had it be good. I actually vowed to stop pre ordering game all together. I guess I was desperate for another good game to come out on the Vita.

Question though. Anyone else finding the default fast blade and smg more enjoyable to use than any of the other weapons? I'm trying the lance weapon (or is it spear? I forget) and I was getting whooped in a practice run against AI sinners. Maybe it's just my play style fits that best since I love jumping on abductors slicing at them, jumping away right as they do an attack to shake me off. Then while in the air latching back on to them and continuing to slice. I feel like a bad ass while doing it.

Also loving the translation job. PRICK UP YOUR EARS!

F9YT0ynl.jpg

ramyeon

Just made a co-op room.

Password is 1389

Slogan is Percy Propa Appreciation Society.

Anyone from Code 2 up is welcome to join!

Finally got to play my copy yesterday. Enjoying the hell out of it.

Game looks great on DAT OLED screen

Controls are fun but will take time to master. I feel like really learning the scheme and strategy will make it more enjoyable.

I love the world and the story so far. Just passed my Code 1 exam and now in Code 2 so I'm not too deep.

The crazy amount of time you get for doing nothing is hilarious. I walked around my room soon after gaining full control and my damn accessory added 20 more years to my sentence. I went "Lol what?!?! What did I do?!?" In true RPG nature, I tried to just have a chat with her and BAM extended sentence.

I love everything about this.

Can't wait to dig in more later.

EDIT Also, NEW YORK was 9/50 when I checked the boards last night. Is that accurate? If it is, BOO YAAHHHHHH BABY

GReeeeN

so how does the co-op progress work?, i just did all the code 2 mission in co-op, but when i go back to my cell it only shows the first missions still.... and the others not even listed

in my inventory there's "proofs of operational non failure", for the missions I've completed but I cannot progress any further...

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
This game is amazing to me. I'm really digging the story so far which I am kind of surprised at. I think this is the first time in a long time I've pre ordered a game and had it be good. I actually vowed to stop pre ordering game all together. I guess I was desperate for another good game to come out on the Vita.

Question though. Anyone else finding the default fast blade and smg more enjoyable to use than any of the other weapons? I'm trying the lance weapon (or is it spear? I forget) and I was getting whooped in a practice run against AI sinners. Maybe it's just my play style fits that best since I love jumping on abductors slicing at them, jumping away right as they do an attack to shake me off. Then while in the air latching back on to them and continuing to slice. I feel like a bad ass while doing it.

Also loving the translation job. PRICK UP YOUR EARS!

F9YT0ynl.jpg

thats an actual phrase though. not used as much in the US though.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/289100.html

khaaan

Played a little bit more last night, I agree that the pacing is pretty bad but I'm hoping it's just because it's early and the game has to information overload you.

The first time I failed was actually during the first Code 2 rescue mission. I think I need to be more aware of my map and what the icons mean, I had a lot of trouble finding citizens and only after when someone from the other team grabbed someone and I could see the red icon on the screen is when I knew where to go. I also need to figure out the nuances of accessory commands and how the team as a whole works, there were a few instances where I told my accessory to pick up a citizen but he said he couldn't even though there was no apparent reason for him not to be able to.

I did have one question I was hoping someone could answer though. When talking to NPC's sometimes there will be an option to give them something. I tried it on one and nothing seemed to happen. What am I supposed to be doing in this scenario? Should I be giving/trading? My other less important question was about the eavesdrop option, I didn't pick it because I assumed I was going to get sentenced but I'll try it out later and see what happens.

Edit: Was also happy to see that Toronto had moved up in the rankings :D

Jusoni

Probably been asked a thousand times. Is the game very co-op centered? Will I be able to enjoy it fully even if I don't have any friends to play it with? Does it have somekind of "matchmaking" system to co-op with randoms? Or is the endgame only doable in co-op? Getting really hyped for this, unless it has somekind of required co-oping.

Only CODE level 2 but here is my initial impression:

This game is 'dense' (heard a fellow GAFFer refer to FW in this way). There is a lot thrown at you from the start, so if you were hoping to pick up and play then I'm afraid you will have to be patient and soak up the ambience of the game.

Mechanically there is a lot to process with bindings, shooting and melee all part of the control scheme, and buttons having several functions depending on context. However this actually leads to a very rich repertoire while in combat, giving you 'freedom' on how you want to play including mobility/combat.

Graphically the game is gorgeous, with robust customisation and hardly a jaggy in sight. There are a lot of unlocks to keep you going and you can save load outs and style sets for quick changes.

At this price point it's definitely worth picking up, it may not feel accessible at the start, and it is heavy on narrative, but perseverance is rewarded. My main gripe is that combat feels great but I feel like I have spent more time in my cell, menus and surrounding area than on the battlefield. But I'm still learning the ropes....

Great post! I agree wholeheartedly.

The beginning of the game is horribly paced, especially the start of CODE 2. If you're getting frustrated with too much not doing missions, just jump online and do some matches. You'll probably end up completing some of your future story missions which will let you skip them once you get to them.

Yeah I'm sticking with a heavily upgraded version of the starting sword right now, quick melee attacks and severing are so satisfying. I switched to a giant machine gun instead of the assault rifle though. It's perfect for unloading an entire clip or two from a distance then moving in to sever the limb you were shooting. I'm about to try out the flamethrower, though. I'm looking forward to that.

Probably been asked a thousand times. Is the game very co-op centered? Will I be able to enjoy it fully even if I don't have any friends to play it with? Does it have somekind of "matchmaking" system to co-op with randoms? Or is the endgame only doable in co-op? Getting really hyped for this, unless it has somekind of required co-oping.
Coop is not required, although I really encourage you to try it. It is easy and fun to find and play a match with randoms, and you should be able to easily hook up with other gaffers. PVP is also a blast. Like I said earlier in the game, it's a good singleplayer experience but if you're not doing multiplayer at all you're missing out on the best thing FW has to offer.

LX_Theo

Banned
The single player has AI for party members. Online lets you make or join rooms of players, with some search options available. Simple quick search functions can be used to do it quickly. There are also PvP modes

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Most of the people who played the Japanese version, myself included, cleared the whole game alone, since the online mp was added later.
Story is doable, post-story missions can be frustrating, but are also doable alone.

Jams775

Yeah I'm sticking with a heavily upgraded version of the starting sword right now, quick melee attacks and severing are so satisfying. I switched to a giant machine gun instead of the assault rifle though. It's perfect for unloading an entire clip or two from a distance then moving in to sever the limb you were shooting. I'm about to try out the flamethrower, though. I'm looking forward to that.

Just got the ability to make a hawkshadow that looks like a newer version of the starting weapon. I actually like the crafting. Can't wait to get the components to make it and upgrade it.

How are you guys feeling about the Thorn types? I tried the 3 but stuck with the attack one. I didn't find the shield one too useful since I like going on the offensive.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Just got the ability to make a hawkshadow that looks like a newer version of the starting weapon. I actually like the crafting. Can't wait to get the components to make it and upgrade it.

How are you guys feeling about the Thorn types? I tried the 3 but stuck with the attack one. I didn't find the shield one too useful since I like going on the offensive.

Shield is only really useful to raise your def and of your AI partners. Does help though. The actual wall skill is pretty useless.

I did stick to mainly the defense ibara towards the endgame stuff.

Top Bottom