• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom Wars |OT| Vita's imprisonment for million years

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to post for a couple of months, but I just wanted to say great work on the OT! ^_^ Played a bit, however, my Vita's left trigger is no longer functional, so I'm looking to have a PlayStation TV by the end of the month in hopes of knocking this game out before... 2015. XD

mstevens

Asking for new page:

Where do I get Ruined Cables: High Quality? All I can find online is info for Ultra High Quality. Need these to level my weapon to level 9.

Asking for new page:

Where do I get Ruined Cables: High Quality? All I can find online is info for Ultra High Quality. Need these to level my weapon to level 9.

AFAIK they are field stuff that appear randomly on 3 specific retributions. Very Very rare. Best to join a group farming them and hope for the best.

mstevens

AFAIK they are field stuff that appear randomly on 3 specific retributions. Very Very rare. Best to join a group farming them and hope for the best.

I think that is for Ultra High Quality (which I assume I'll need to go from 9-10) but for now I just need High Quality... Just not sure where to find it. Maybe one of the special missions?

I think that is for Ultra High Quality (which I assume I'll need to go from 9-10) but for now I just need High Quality... Just not sure where to find it. Maybe one of the special missions?

Hmm Special Ops then, yes. You can see what resources each Op has with SELECT. (It's not listed on any of the SpeOps I have).

Edit: Apparently the same retributions drop both the High and Ultra-high quality. http://www.gamefaqs.com/vita/715590...48-where-can-i-find-ruined-cable-high-quality

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
aarrggghh.
i hate those freaking bondage chains :(

edit: thanks for the help luffy ( i don't remember your gaf name) but thanks for helping me out with those few missions

On CODE 7. Just like planned I should be able to finish the campaign before Dragon Age drops, and with that I will have cleared all of the game's campaigns that I wanted. So far with the story here I have more questions than answers, and the major consensus is that the actual ending sucks and doesn't answer any of them. I'll have to wait and see for myself, at least I'm reasonably prepared for it, and my expectations are very, very low. The ride was fun at least, and I don't regret the purchase one bit.

I would easily recommend this game to anyone with a Vita. Sure it has its shortcomings (end game from what you all say is a mess) but the actual story from CODE 1 to 7 is very fun, and has a ton of mission variety that keeps things interesting. The game isn't a graphical showpiece like KZ Mercenaries, but it is really pretty and pretty stable for a game that has so much going on/so many characters on screen.

I haven't finished, but I would give this game an 8/10 based on my 30hrs with it. Good game, tons of fun, with some stuff that can be changed with a sequel.

kewlmyc

This might seem like a random question, but I just got the game. Can you change your character's eye color, hairstyle, and hair color after you've created your character?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
This might seem like a random question, but I just got the game. Can you change your character's eye color, hairstyle, and hair color after you've created your character?

Yep. If there's one thing I love about this game, it's that it gives you full freedom to change anything about your character, all the way down to gender and name, at any time you want (after a certain point in the story, relatively early). More games with character creation need to do this.

people

A question for the Heavy Melee weapon users: Which one do you prefer/recommend?

Using lvl10 Barbara's + Exodus 7500 is getting a little ..easy, because it makes most missions rather trivial. I already made a 'cutting knife' to get that feeling of excitement from early CODEs back, but it seems an inefficient way to spend time. Maybe I spoiled myself by using BEB that much though. So now I'm looking to give heavy melee a try.

Caliburn seems an obvious choice looking at the damage/power numbers, but I'd prefer the upward spiral charge attack like Aftershadow/TB-32/H; does the TB-32/H stay behind the Caliburn at high (8-10) upgrade levels?

A question for the Heavy Melee weapon users: Which one do you prefer/recommend?

Using lvl10 Barbara's + Exodus 7500 is getting a little ..easy, because it makes most missions rather trivial. I already made a 'cutting knife' to get that feeling of excitement from early CODEs back, but it seems an inefficient way to spend time. Maybe I spoiled myself by using BEB that much though. So now I'm looking to give heavy melee a try.

Caliburn seems an obvious choice looking at the damage/power numbers, but I'd prefer the upward spiral charge attack like Aftershadow/TB-32/H; does the TB-32/H stay behind the Caliburn at high (8-10) upgrade levels?

TB-32/H is weaker than the Caliburn but also has much faster attacks. Caliburn's single charge attack is pretty meh and keeps you frozen like 2-3 seconds afterwards, but it's compensated by the power of the double charge one. It's a perfect second weapon to use when the abductor is down while the Aftershadow/TB-32H are more suitable for a primary sword. I'm not a fan of the upward attack though as half of it gets wasted against short enemies like Ramosa and Paradoxa so you'll have to revert to single charge attack or another weapon to fight those.

HomesIice

Yo! Just bought this and signed up for the Sydney Panopticon
Still trying to find my way around the game but the visuals are amazing imo!

Is there a tips/FAQs thing anywhere?

Scher

I'm never going to get a high quality ruined cable! The game has not been giving me retributions lately, and everytime I find a room with a ret 100,101, or 106, I can never get in. I may very well hit 0 years before I can even get my weapon past level 7.

I'm never going to get a high quality ruined cable! The game has not been giving me retributions lately, and everytime I find a room with a ret 100,101, or 106, I can never get in. I may very well hit 0 years before I can even get my weapon past level 7.

Well I did reach 0 sentence with both my weapons still at level 7. You rarely find rooms doing retributions these days because everyone discovered the save scum trick to farm them and are doing so in private lobbies. I also think that because of the save scumming the game's servers are seeing a big number of retributions not done yet so they decided not to broadcast any new ones yet (didn't receive any in the past 2-3 days).

Apparently if you host a room and press Ready before everyone else (mission won't start no matter what if this happens) you get locked into it and can't do anything short of pressing the HOME button and closing the game.

The CODE 7 final battle
s
... Who in the world thought this was a good idea, this is a pain in the fucking neck. No checkpoints either?! URGH. Almost had the thing down, get wiped, gotta start everything all over again...

baekshi

Banned
The CODE 7 final battle
s
... Who in the world thought this was a good idea, this is a pain in the fucking neck. No checkpoints either?! URGH. Almost had the thing down, get wiped, gotta start everything all over again...
If you go online, you can do each one and come back with non failure ticket to progress.

mstevens

I'm in the same boat. I'm missing a High Quality one to get to level 9... Let alone the Ultra High Quality I'll need for level 10. Are retribution missions the only type that carries either of those items?

MattyG

Banned
I may be getting this tomorrow for $15! Is this a game that can be soloed relatively easily, or is it difficult? If it's too much, I may just have to team up with some Gaffers.

And is it recommended that you join the panopticon nearest to you in real life, or do you just join whichever? Any benfits to one over another?

mstevens

So... I need to get Will’O Engine: Artillery Mk 4 for my weapon. I'm reading online I can just do the showdown until the pod bursts for the first time, and then there is a chance it will drop.

I've done it 11 times now and no luck. Really worried I'm not doing this right and will end up wasting several hours doing the wrong thing. Need 3 of these damn things.

people

So... I need to get Will’O Engine: Artillery Mk 4 for my weapon. I'm reading online I can just do the showdown until the pod bursts for the first time, and then there is a chance it will drop.

I've done it 11 times now and no luck. Really worried I'm not doing this right and will end up wasting several hours doing the wrong thing. Need 3 of these damn things.

This is how Engine drops work, unfortunately. I couldn't remember being short on Mk4 Engines, but I just got one on my 4th try of Showdown GO808. So yes, you just have to get lucky.

Good luck with Red Rage Mk2 Engine!
It took me probably over 30 times last night to drop a single one, good thing it can be done quite fast.

Shengar

My brother!
Not actually fond of loli party member, but since she act totally opposite of that, I like her instead.
I wish the game gave me more of Nina...
Why not both?
My main party member is Beatrice, Nina, and Elfriede
Break (crack, actually) the legs. Check this handy spredsheet made by someone from /r/freedomwars. Good stuff. People there compiled a lot of info recently, making it easier to find than the gfaqs board.

Thanks! This'll be really useful

people

Well I did reach 0 sentence with both my weapons still at level 7. You rarely find rooms doing retributions these days because everyone discovered the save scum trick to farm them and are doing so in private lobbies. I also think that because of the save scumming the game's servers are seeing a big number of retributions not done yet so they decided not to broadcast any new ones yet (didn't receive any in the past 2-3 days).

To explain 'save scumming', it's really more 'swipe scumming':

Assuming there is a chance to be given a Retribution every 5 (co-op) missions.

1. Do 5 (or more) missions, return to your Cell.
  2. The game will save upon leaving the lobby; don't save manually.
  3. Hit PS button and swipe/close the game.
  4. Restart to see if you enter on red-ish screen;
  5. Repeat [3-4] until you have the Retribution you want.
Note that you can gamble to get the specific Retribution mission you want e.g. 101, 103, etc. In other words if you get 109 you can repeat steps [3-5] ;)

Like many other things in this game, it's up to you if think it's worth spending your time to try to get what you want this way.

Edit: I just put in some time to confirm/verify this:
- 5 missions, solo co-op online
- swipe x8 -> Retribution 108
- swipe x4 -> Retribution 102 (kept this)
- 5 missions, offline
- swipe x1 -> Retribution 104
- swipe x4 -> Retribution 104
- swipe x8 -> Retribution 100 (kept this and told myself to stop doing this)

I'm not convinced there is an actual quotum for outstanding Retributions, but that's impossible to (dis)prove without further data ofc.

I think I've got about as far as I can with this game now, the terrible weapon modification system has just turned it into a boring and annoying grind. I cannot for the life of me beat 8-1 with the gear I currently have, but I can't unlock 8-2 to farm for the materials that I need to continue upgrading my Aftershadow + until I beat 8-1. Vicious cycle.

I hope this gets a sequel, but I hope to god that they go back to the drawing board with weapon upgrading because it's an insurmountable barrier for all but those who are invested in the game enough to trawl forums and Japanese wikis for obscure info and then spend tens of hours grinding and save scumming to overcome all the RNG.

mstevens

This is how Engine drops work, unfortunately. I couldn't remember being short on Mk4 Engines, but I just got one on my 4th try of Showdown GO808. So yes, you just have to get lucky.

Good luck with Red Rage Mk2 Engine!
It took me probably over 30 times last night to drop a single one, good thing it can be done quite fast.

Luckily I don't need Red Rage. I have all the items I need to upgrade to 10... Just missing those damn artillery mk 4 engines. Still haven't had one drop.

I've finally reached CODE 8 but now I'm stuck. I talked to
Julien about planting the seed and he told me to talk to a bunch of people.
I've talked to everyone in Zakka, the Fueling Station and Natalia but I still can't progress. Please help.

I think I've got about as far as I can with this game now, the terrible weapon modification system has just turned it into a boring and annoying grind. I cannot for the life of me beat 8-1 with the gear I currently have, but I can't unlock 8-2 to farm for the materials that I need to continue upgrading my Aftershadow + until I beat 8-1. Vicious cycle.

I hope this gets a sequel, but I hope to god that they go back to the drawing board with weapon upgrading because it's an insurmountable barrier for all but those who are invested in the game enough to trawl forums and Japanese wikis for obscure info and then spend tens of hours grinding and save scumming to overcome all the RNG.

i think i'm the only person who enjoys upgrade system, i usually upgrade something and go online and help out people while reducing my sentence and earning gp, at times i just go do HW and when i return oh its ready lol. However, i do understand folks who want to just upgrade and keep it moving. If we get an expansion i feel a lot of the minor errors should be corrected, the series has potential.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Decide to talk to everyone in after finishing code 8.
Some of the info are interesting...
Julien wife is just imaginary? She probably died during retribution attack, or she probably didn't even exist
Also, is there list of item trading with NPC?

Xeteh

I may be getting this tomorrow for $15! Is this a game that can be soloed relatively easily, or is it difficult? If it's too much, I may just have to team up with some Gaffers.

And is it recommended that you join the panopticon nearest to you in real life, or do you just join whichever? Any benfits to one over another?

This is pretty much my first game in this genre and I finished the story to the credits (there's a bit(?) after it) without much issue and completely solo. Some battles are harder than others but nothing I had to do was impossible to solo.

As for the panopticon location... I don't know if it matters, I just went with the closest.

mrjohill

I've finally reached CODE 8 but now I'm stuck. I talked to
Julien about planting the seed and he told me to talk to a bunch of people.
I've talked to everyone in Zakka, the Fueling Station and Natalia but I still can't progress. Please help.

You have to decrease your sentence by 10000 or something then go talk to Julien again

maouvin

Decide to talk to everyone in after finishing code 8.
Some of the info are interesting...
Julien wife is just imaginary? She probably died during retribution attack, or she probably didn't even exist
Also, is there list of item trading with NPC?

About the spoiler: well, it's a rumour. He's a real bro, lets give him the benefit of doubt!

And for trades: https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=3372B848FAAC96FA!111&app=Excel&authkey=!AG7ep5gIdU8M1is (again by someone from the subreddit).

mstevens

I'm so tired of the disconnects. I've wasted probably a total of 3 hours over the past couple days with groups members either being kicked or me being disconnected several minutes into a retribution.

Got my sentence down to 586 and I've been stuck there with 5 fail missions in a row. Can't wait to get to 500k and be done.

Online bugs are getting funnier by the day. First there was this guy who tried to seize a weapon and froze there until the mission ended. We couldn't even get him to die as he didn't take any damage. Next we were doing this retribution where you have to fight a a-Paradoxa and two a-Dionea in a small zone. Everything was fine until the second Dionea appeared. I was clinging to him cutting his tail when the game glitched and we went BEHIND the invisible wall. Thankfully for me he killed me and I respawned but the poor thing got stuck there. The only way to hit him was to wait for the split second when his head or tail passed through the wall to our side. At about 50% hp he went into rage mode and broke through the wall, except he went UNDERGROUND. Well technically only his image was underground while the real hitbox was invisible. We managed to beat him in the end thanks to our accessories' ability to see ghosts, but yeah that was BS.

Some screenshots of the phantom-Dionea (notice the accessory shooting upwards):

F26hZZg.jpg

ckP9tKZ.jpg

A guy clinging to the ghost:

tl;dr: Online is getting buggier and buggier.

baekshi

Banned
Online bugs are getting funnier by the day. First there was this guy who tried to seize a weapon and froze there until the mission ended. We couldn't even get him to die as he didn't take any damage. Next we were doing this retribution where you have to fight a a-Paradoxa and two a-Dionea in a small zone. Everything was fine until the second Dionea appeared. I was clinging to him cutting his tail when the game glitched and we went BEHIND the invisible wall. Thankfully for me he killed me and I respawned but the poor thing got stuck there. The only way to hit him was to wait for the split second when his head or tail passed through the wall to our side. At about 50% hp he went into rage mode and broke through the wall, except he went UNDERGROUND. Well technically only his image was underground while the real hitbox was invisible. We managed to beat him in the end thanks to our accessories' ability to see ghosts, but yeah that was BS.
Well I have seen people falling under the map and not being able to hit the dionea. oddly it was in this map also with dionea's. what happens is that you can't hit them anymore, yet on others screen the character will stay on the top ground .

FIVE hosts in a row have been disconnected after 10+ minutes into each mission.

Horrible

I haven't had matches this horrible, always look at rooms bar before entering.

Finally got a vita today and picked this up. I've put a couple hours into so far and it feels really claustrophobic. But that might also be in part to me not being used to the Vita in the first place. It seems like it definitely gonna take a bit to get used to the sticks.

I'm only on the third mission, the one where you fight one of the large monsters that has a civilian trapped inside. I've replayed it like five times just trying to get a feel for the movement and controls. It was definitely a little tougher after the first time because I didn't have the 2 story characters in it with me.

I have a few questions for you veterans:

1. Do light weapons have to be used for the "sever" command to appear on a section of the monster that can be removed? And is this even worth doing?

2. Is it worth exploring the map for resources before completing the objective or is getting the max evaluation more important?

3. Is it ever worth taking rarer materials at the end of a mission and taking the increased sentence?

Any input would be appreciated.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Finally got a vita today and picked this up. I've put a couple hours into so far and it feels really claustrophobic. But that might also be in part to me not being used to the Vita in the first place. It seems like it definitely gonna take a bit to get used to the sticks.

I'm only on the third mission, the one where you fight one of the large monsters that has a civilian trapped inside. I've replayed it like five times just trying to get a feel for the movement and controls. It was definitely a little tougher after the first time because I didn't have the 2 story characters in it with me.

1. Do light weapons have to be used for the "sever" command to appear on a section of the monster that can be removed? And is this even worth doing?

2. Is it worth exploring the map for resources before completing the objective or is getting the max evaluation more important?

3. Is it ever worth taking rarer materials at the end of a mission and taking the increased sentence?

1 yes only light blade weapons can sever, item called flame blade? can be used in its place. higher level versions are available but are 1 time use. pretty sure exploit with it was patched. also higher weapon base damage stats gives more severing power for light blades.

more parts severed = more items acquired after the mission.

2 yes get all the resources on the nap if possible you can set the accessory to assist with this. but also depends if you are looking for something in particular

3 this is also situational. but generally you dont need to do this unless there is something you specifically need.

people

ad 1. You can also equip a Combat Item called 'Flare Knife' without the need for a Light Melee weapon (buy from Zakka for 1000EP). Early on severing parts is worth doing and certainly exciting, later on you may find that applying raw damage can achieve the same result (faster) i.e. destroying a part or pod.

ad 2. It's probably a good idea to get to know the map layouts and resource spawn locations; map variety is limited though so don't expect amazing discoveries wandering about.

ad 3. Probably not, since those penalties can be severe. Also, reducing your sentence is typically a condition for moving up in CODE level. You probably wouldn't be able to use the higher level materials for anything yet anyway.

Edit: Btw, when (re)playing missions (offline) you can press Square on the briefing screen to select Comrades (AI) to take with you.

Top Bottom