• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

ivysaur12

Banned
I was a bit disturbed how little Nina seemed to care about the other world being destroyed by the machine. That seemed out of character.

bathala

Banned
its cool they answered some of the mythos question, but the love thing :S

I'm waiting for Peter to say: "We have to go back, Walter

Solo said:
I think its foolish to think there won't be more to it than WHICH OLIVIA DO I WANT TO BONE, DERP

In other words, I find the lack of faith from many in here disturbing. This isn't LOST.
I'm just a little alarmed is all. I mean really, the vague pseudoscience stuff did have me thinking of Lost. It's a curveball I wasn't expecting, so yeah, I'm interested to see how they follow it up

Either way, they're clearly going to commit to the whole love triangle thing for a while, a thread that I already felt was getting kind of tiresome earlier on in this very episode before the big reveal. Just a little disappointing

Solo

My personel take is that Nina's line is being misconstrued. I don't think its so much a case of her meaning whichever Olivia Peter wants he will sacrifice the other world for. Rather, I think she was basically saying that Peter is the only person with the ability to destroy one of the universes, and obviousy, if one were forced with having to make such a decision, ones feeling and loyalties would obviously come into play.

ivysaur12

Banned
evlcookie said:
I don't think it will honestly come down to peter picking which Olivia he wants to keep, Unless he can pick both then hell yea go Pete.

The poster who mentioned back in S2 with "don't trust sam weiss" on the blackboard, I feel this could be an important part to it all.

If you look at what each side wants then to me it seems like Sam is the one who really wants the destruction of either world, Which is why i guess we shouldn't trust him.

Observers wants to fix shit so there's at least a hint of balance.
Our world wants to fix shit so neither gets blown up.
Alt world wants to simply survive, to stop the damage being done. If they can do this through balance then so be it however they have no issues with the other being destroyed.

Three of the parties want balance while Sam seems to suggest that the only way this will stop is with peter picking one Olivia.

If there was to be a cheesy love triangle ending then i would go with Peter not picking either and sacrificing himself for the good of both worlds.

Or a theesome. Saves both worlds.

Jexemad

Guys, I seem to remember a scene in which a girl chases a firefly. Was it on the show or was I dreaming? Cuz I can't seem to find it in any episode.
I'm almost certain that I saw it in an episode's opening. When I saw The Firefly, the Observer's talk reminded me of it.

Help please! :(

big ander

UraMallas said:
That's what most were saying by the end of Season 3 of Lost, too. But that's just my cynical side. I agree with you, they have earned my trust. I just don't like how that scene went down, it doesn't sit well with me.
I get it not sitting right with people right now. I'm not perfectly comfortable with it myself. But in every interview Pinkner and Wyman have ever done, they seem to know exactly what the audience is thinking and they know intelligent ways to handle sci-fi themes like these without being ridiculous.

ivysaur12 said:
Just started the episode now, but... this isn't so good.
Damn...let's hope it ticks up a bit or stays level.

HeySeuss

Finally caught this on tivo. Great episode and I'm excited to see the bowling guy Sam back in the storyline. My guess is he was somehow chosen as a worthy human to pass on the knowledge of the first people or their history. And in exchange he has access to certain technology.

Personally I don't mind the love-triangle story arc. It adds realistic suspense and puts genuine doubt into the decision he will make. Plus Olivia hasn't exactly done anything since she's been back to make him forget about fauxlivia. It's no wonder he still gas feelings for her. Plus, really, what does that sentence really mean? Of course he has feelings for her still. Just what feelings exactly is the question.

Epcott

Solo said:
My personel take is that Nina's line is being misconstrued. I don't think its so much a case of her meaning whichever Olivia Peter wants he will sacrifice the other world for. Rather, I think she was basically saying that Peter is the only person with the ability to destroy one of the universes, and obviousy, if one were forced with having to make such a decision, ones feeling and loyalties would obviously come into play.

Ha, I love this man's posts.

I had the same feeling.

Seems to me that Nina feels a little helpless, since ultimately it's up to Peter's infatuations. In the past, Nina has had at least some control over the outcome of events, or at least she may have felt she had an influence over them (she's still smug and accepts herself as a manipulator even though her role has been significantly scaled back a bit as it had been from season 1). In this case, her "control" and her ability to foresee an outcome is clouded, since it's not in her power to control matters of the heart, well... Peter's, as it were.

Solo

Epcott said:
Ha, I love this man's posts.

I had the same feeling.

Seems to me that Nina feels a little helpless, since ultimately it's up to Peter's infatuations. In the past, Nina has had at least some control over the outcome of events, or at least she may have felt she had an influence over them (she's still smug and accepts herself as a manipulator even though her role has been significantly scaled back a bit as it had been from season 1). In this case, her "control" and her ability to foresee an outcome is clouded, since it's not in her power to control matters of the heart, well... Peter's, as it were.

And I'd still wager my Universe B left nut that neither universe will be destroyed. We will find out that you really can't trust Sam Weiss, and that both universes will need to form a shakey alliance to combat the First People.

Fireblend

Banned
Solo said:
And I'd still wager my Universe B left nut that neither universe will be destroyed. We will find out that you really can't trust Sam Weiss, and that both universes will need to form a shakey alliance to combat the First People.
I wouldn't expect the First People to ever be an enemy. I think in that case (if both sides have to eventually agree to fight a common threat) it'd be more plausible to see a final confrontation between Universe A and B's Fringe divisions and an enraged, insane Walternate that blindly seeks the destruction of Universe A (when both could be saved).

Solo

That would work too. I guess my point simply is that I don't see any scenario in which one universe actually gets destroyed.

I think it actually makes complete sense how the love triangle is supposed to decide the fate of both universes. It's mostly just a cheesed up way of saying that whichever universe Peter feels (subconsciously and genuinely) he has deeper affinity for, will survive. Being that the machine is linked biologically to him, it's only natural that his innermost feelings can and will determine which world will be destroyed; that is, again, based on which he feels he'll need to save, because of the people in it, i.e. either of the two Olivias.

He says that the machine can be used as a a device for creation or a tool of great destruction. I don't think either Universe will be destroyed.

Larson Conway said:
I think it actually makes complete sense how the love triangle is supposed to decide the fate of both universes. It's mostly just a cheesed up way of saying that whichever universe Peter feels (subconsciously and genuinely) he has deeper affinity for, will survive. Being that the machine is linked biologically to him, it's only natural that his innermost feelings can and will determine which world will be destroyed; that is, again, based on which he feels he'll need to save, because of the people in it, i.e. either of the two Olivias.
I agree. It's not like it's a machine that runs on love, love just happens to be the primary emotion which is tugging Peters emotions between the two worlds.

ivysaur12

Banned
Larson Conway said:

I'm more ok with it after reading this. Bravo.

big ander

Larson Conway said:
Yep, this is what I've been saying. People aren't taking the time to think about what it is Weiss said.

I think we're going to end up with Universe AxB.

So Weiss theories: do more people think he IS one of the First People? Or is he just a carrier of their knowledge?

Solo

Larson Conway said:

This is what I said, just said differently. So naturally I agree ;)

Solo said:

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Solo said:
This is what I said, just said differently. So naturally I agree ;)
Yep. Nothing wrong with the idea, but the exposition about it at the end of this last episode was sloppy and weak. That's where the problem lies. Hopefully any future explicit discussions of this will be better written.

Thinking back on the episode some more, did it seem to everyone else that Walter was more like season 1 Walter? It was almost as if he devolved (side effect of chimp serum? I am kidding) in the writers' room. He didn't seem to be quite as sharp and together as he has been this season, if you could call Walter "together." He just seemed more "wacky, crazy, awesome scientist." I dunno, it felt like some of the newfound warmth in Walter was gone.

PhoncipleBone said:
Thinking back on the episode some more, did it seem to everyone else that Walter was more like season 1 Walter? It was almost as if he devolved (side effect of chimp serum? I am kidding) in the writers' room. He didn't seem to be quite as sharp and together as he has been this season, if you could call Walter "together." He just seemed more "wacky, crazy, awesome scientist." I dunno, it felt like some of the newfound warmth in Walter was gone.
Character development brah. Walter ain't so happy right now and is nervous. Parallels with his personality when he was first released from the psych ward.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
PhoncipleBone said:

He was withdrawn for most of the episode because he was having to stare the consequences of his experiments directly in the face.

It didnt feel like character development this episode. It felt like character regression. Walter dealing with the effects of his experiments was handled wonderfully in White Tulip.

HeySeuss

PhoncipleBone said:
I noticed that as well, but I contributed it to the acceptance of what Peter is capable of from last weeks episode. I think that has changed Walters outlook on things as that innocence of Peter is now gone and he is evolving into something that could be sinister.

Not to mention he is probably struggling with whether he should keep the secret or tell someone.

Shick Brithouse said:
I noticed that as well, but I contributed it to the acceptance of what Peter is capable of from last weeks episode. I think that has changed Walters outlook on things as that innocence of Peter is now gone and he is evolving into something that could be sinister.

Not to mention he is probably struggling with whether he should keep the secret or tell someone.
Yet Peter seemed like his normal self this week and not "weaponized" like he was last week. I guess the characters felt like they belonged in an earlier episode except Olivia, who did seem to be the most progressed character.

HeySeuss

PhoncipleBone said:
Yet Peter seemed like his normal self this week and not "weaponized" like he was last week. I guess the characters felt like they belonged in an earlier episode except Olivia, who did seem to be the most progressed character.
They had a couple of awkward moments. The scene where they squatted down over the first victim and Walter and Peter exchanged an uncomfortable look at each other. It's subtle right now, but its definitely there.

Solo

Dan said:
Yep. Nothing wrong with the idea, but the exposition about it at the end of this last episode was sloppy and weak. That's where the problem lies. Hopefully any future explicit discussions of this will be better written.

Without a doubt, the execution could have been a lot better. I feel pretty confident that will be rectified in the future.

big ander

Shick Brithouse said:
They had a couple of awkward moments. The scene where they squatted down over the first victim and Walter and Peter exchanged an uncomfortable look at each other. It's subtle right now, but its definitely there.
The part with Peter telling Walter what a bad bad man he was overdid it, but otherwise I thought Walter was fine in this ep.
As long as there is at least one scene of him eating/drinking something in a "scientific" pursuit, I'm content.

big ander said:
Yep, this is what I've been saying. People aren't taking the time to think about what it is Weiss said.

So Weiss theories: do more people think he IS one of the First People? Or is he just a carrier of their knowledge?

It is somewhat more likely that he is a carrier as the Observers already appear to be made by the first people and are probably a stable kind of shapeshifter. Also, their ability to bypass the laws of physics (as according to the show) already demonstrates that they are not actually part of the universa they observe.

It would be really wierd if the First People were able to just tranfer over to another universe without breaking whatever elementary barrier it was that Walter broke.
Unless you assume that their universe is somehow more real than any that they created using the Vacuum, but that's really just kind of lazy logic for a writer to use... imo.

I'm really not that happy with the whole 'First People' plotdevice. I'm kind of hoping that they do not really exist, but are a sort of echo the creation / destruction cycle (since Peter was predestined to be the machine's user, it is clear that these 'fake' universes undergo some sort of cycle) uses to legitimize this event. Basically like a constantly reproduced error of some sort.

big ander said:

The universes are ingredients in a melting pot and Peter is the Sous Chef stirring. He's going to remove the bits he doesn't like and let the rest blend into something delicious?

Friday finals are in, and Fringe stayed the same in ratings. Didn't go up, didn't go down. Let's hope the DVR numbers bump as much as they did the last two weeks.

mm04

I really hope that the ratings dip was directly related to the Superbowl commercial show. The Superbowl is a huge event, so I'm not surprised people tuned into a related show that only happens once a year. But it sucks that I'll be thinking about the ratings releasing on Saturday while I watch the show on Friday night. This season has been brilliant and it's a shame that the show is so underrated in the ratings. If we don't get a season 4, it'll be a tragedy.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
My guess is that there weren't supposed to be two universes, but somehow a split was caused by the First People at some point. Through the Observers they were able to determine a path by which their error could be rectified, and they created an incredibly roundabout path of resolving it by creating a machine that could be used only by one person in their distant future. That was why the Peters were so important to the Observers. Walternate has somehow gained limited knowledge of this scenario, perhaps through his attempted creation of a artificial Observers? Walternate obviously doesn't know about the machine's selection criteria though, otherwise he likely would have left Fauxlivia in our universe and just killed Olivia.

big ander

Fringe Bosses: There's More To the Rest of Season Than Peter, the Olivias and The Machine
But don't click that link. It's Michael Ausiello's site, and he's dumb. Just read it here.
Doesn't spoil anything specific at all. Just non-spoilery gives an idea of how Pinkner and Wyman are thinking about this season. Spoilered anyway.
If it seems too simple that the final 10 episodes of Fringe‘s third season will revolve around Peter, the two Olivias and the ultimate purpose of The Machine… well, that’s because it absolutely is. “We’re full of wrinkles,” executive producer Jeff Pinkner promises TVLine. “We’re like a pair of corduroy pants.”

One wrinkle the size of the San Andreas fault comes at the end of this Friday’s episode, which is set in the other universe. But even beyond that, Pinkner and fellow EP J.H. Wyman say that things will get increasingly labyrinthine as the Season 3 finale draws closer.

“Largely this season has been about the march to war, and it will continue to be so, driven equally by the relationship of Peter and the two Olivias,” Pinkner notes. “But we’ve got more stuff coming.”

Adds Wyman, “We can definitely guarantee that the last stretch [of episodes] is going to be very complicated, because you’re going to understand our show in a different capacity. It’s going to stretch your mind and make you think, ‘I never saw that coming.’”

No small feat from a show whose bread-and-butter is “Never saw that coming.”

So regardless of whatever rumors or spoilers you may have come across, “We have a few cards to lay down that I don’t think anybody expects,” Wyman teases. “That’s what we feel we owe the fans.”

What’s it all leading to? Well, just as Season 2 thrillingly teed up Season 3 by trapping our Olivia “over there,” this cycle’s finale will drop your jaw and then leave you immensely anxious for Round 4.

This May’s finale “will be as much as anything about setting up next season,” says Pinkner. As Wyman puts it, “It’s like when you read a great novel and you finish a chapter, you’re like, ‘Oh my gosh, something happened that’s going to propel me forward!’ That’s something we desire to emulate.”
The *ACTUAL SPOILERS FOLLOW*
bomb-shell at the end of this week has to be Fauxlivia being pregnant. Which is good, I was thinking that might be a finale thing. Now that it's not, I don't really know anything for the rest of the season :D

Arment

Tried the show again from episode 1 about a month ago and now I'm all caught up.

Season 1 and 2 both started slow and ended on high note but Season 3 is some damn amazing television. I'm hooked now.

Good news is Friday is almost here.

mm04

I just rewatched all of Season 1 this week and it reminded me of how much I missed Charlie. I was bummed about him in Season 2, but at least we have Alt-Charlie now.

Solo

Its amazing how much sexier Fauxlivia is. Those bangs! And Torv does a great job of playing her as much more relaxed, free, and sexual than Olivia.

Red titles are much cooler than green, also.

big ander

Oh godddd roaches
Mmmmmm bolivia...
Guest Star Joan Chen!! That must be the Twin Peaks alum that's on tonight that twitter was hyping up!
Solo said:
Its amazing how much sexier Fauxlivia is. Those bangs! And Torv does a great job of playing her as much more relaxed, free, and sexual than Olivia.

Red titles are much cooler than green, also.
They're blue :p

The Big Rig said:
Jesus, can't Cage be in a good movie?

Back to Fringe.
Drive angry looks really fun and stupid.

big ander

Walternate not experimenting on kids is an awesome character trait. He's still heartless compared to Walter now, but it shows how bad losing Peter affected Walternate.

My guess for the ep: the villain has a family member who needs an enzyme that only those beetles make.

Top Bottom