• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

Olivia ratings reactions ready! (This shall be a new weekly thing... Torv better keep on a rollercoaster of emotion!!!!)

x6h9ht.jpg

Ratings Down

e6twjq.jpg

Rating Stays Levels / Goes Up

SolidusDave said:
If you haven't noticed, bug girl is Julie McNiven.
U0cze.jpg

I wonder if she will return. I liked her in Supernatural and Stargate Universe and I'm usually not even into red heads.
Haha, really? I didn't recognize her at all. (only know her as Anna from Supernatural)

Nice to be back in the other universe, that was a great episode.

SolidusDave said:
If you haven't noticed, bug girl is Julie McNiven.

I wonder if she will return. I liked her in Supernatural and Stargate Universe and I'm usually not even into red heads.

David Lynch said it best, redheads are the wildcard.

Eek! Ratings are down to 1.4 preliminary.
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/02/12/fringe-ratings-drop-friday/
Image Credit: Image Credit: Liane Hentscher/Fox Nooooo! Is the Friday death slot curse tightening its grip on Fringe?
After two weeks of maintaining its Thursday ratings in its new Friday time period, the Fox drama slipped 16% last week. Last night, it slipped 13% further — to 3.7 million viewers and a 1.4 in the preliminary adult demo. Lead-in Kitchen Nightmares (3.7 million, 1.5) dropped 12%.
The CW’s Smallville (2.3 million, 0.9) and Supernatural (2.0 million, 0.9) took a mild hit too, both down 10% from last week.
Friday night wasn’t very kind to the second episode of CBS’ The Defenders (7.9 million, 1.1) in its new time period either. The legal drama fell 15% from last week and its tough to imagine CBS bringing back the show for another season if it remains near this number. At 9 p.m., CSI: NY (9.7 million, 1.5) was down 21% from last week’s episode that aired at 10 p.m. and had a stronger lead-in.
The second week of NBC’s Who Do You Think You Are (6.6 million, 1.4), with Tim McGraw as the celebrity guest, went against the downward stream and improved a tenth. Dateline (5.7 million, 1.4) followed. ABC aired 20/20 (6.4 million, 1.6).

CrankyJay

Banned
See what happens when you move to Friday you dumb FOX fuckers? What's next? You gonna give Summer Glau a permanent role on the show to finish it off?

Solo

CrankyJay said:
See what happens when you move to Friday you dumb FOX fuckers?

I don't blame it on the Friday move. They effectively killed the show before that when they moved to Thursdays in a timeslot they would never have succeeded in. Thats where they went wrong. Should have kept in on Tuesdays.

CrankyJay

Banned
Solo said:
I don't blame it on the Friday move. They effectively killed the show before that when they moved to Thursdays in a timeslot they would never have succeeded in. Thats where they went wrong. Should have kept in on Tuesdays.

I agree.

*flails arms*

Solo said:
Just look at how well Human Target has done this past few works for proof this is correct.

Solo

I'd like to have been a fly on the wall at FOX during that meeting after S1.

Exec: "folks, it looks like we have a big hit on our hands with Fringe. What should we do to ensure continued success?"
Underling: "how about we advertise the hell out of it and build Tuesday's programming around it?"
Exec: "I've got a better idea, lets move it to Thursday and put it against CSI in the toughest timeslot on television!"

CrankyJay

Banned
Solo said:
I'd like to have been a fly on the wall at FOX during that meeting after S1.

Exec: "folks, it looks like we have a big hit on our hands with Fringe. What should we do to ensure continued success?"
Underling: "how about we advertise the hell out of it and build Tuesday's programming around it?"
Exec: "I've got a better idea, lets move it to Thursday and put it against CSI in the toughest timeslot on television!"

To be fair, isn't that the goal of any television network? To gain advertising dollars on the most competitive of nights? It speaks volumes that FOX thought the show was solid enough to move to Thursdays, but in the end it just didn't work.

It seems FOX is looking for the next big show to groom for that Thursday night slot and therefore has given up on Fringe.

Solo said:
Show seems DOA. Fuck you, FOX.

It's in season 3. I guess DOA for fridays? but this is the 4th of what 12-13 episodes on fridays. I wouldnt call 1/3rd of the days it will be there arrival either.

I just hope the writers have prepared for the finale. I don't think we are gutting a season 4, and it doesn't sound like they are writing it for a series end in season 3.

FRINGE movie? Wrapping it all up would be nice, hopefully they don't screw it.

CrankyJay

Banned
Well, the ending will be characters from both universes will meet up in a multi-denominational church and smile at one another and be glad for the time they spent together.

Both Walter and Walternate will get together and create the ultimate strawberry milkshake.

Peter will have an epic threesome with both Olivia's.

The end.

Solo

CrankyJay said:
Well, the ending will be characters from both universes will meet up in a multi-denominational church and smile at one another and be glad for the time they spent together.

Bwuhahaha

ivysaur12

Banned
HenryGale said:
It's in season 3. I guess DOA for fridays? but this is the 4th of what 12-13 episodes on fridays. I wouldnt call 1/3rd of the days it will be there arrival either.

I just hope the writers have prepared for the finale. I don't think we are gutting a season 4, and it doesn't sound like they are writing it for a series end in season 3.

FRINGE movie? Wrapping it all up would be nice, hopefully they don't screw it.

They have not. They've stated there's no way they can really finish up their plotlines in the next 9 episodes. Maybe another 13-episode truncated 4th season...

CrankyJay said:

Both Walter and Walternate will get together and create the ultimate strawberry milkshake.

The end.

The First People are Jesus and the 12 Apostles.

big ander

BlueTsunami said:
Whats nearly just as bad is the comedies they're trying to build around Glee on Tuesday look f'n awful.
Well, Glee has gotten awful but it still pulls good ratings. However, Raising Hope is actually really great. Traffic Light's first episode was supposed to be bad compared to the rest of the season, and it seemed like a lot of people liked it.
I'd still rather have Fringe though.
CrankyJay said:
To be fair, isn't that the goal of any television network? To gain advertising dollars on the most competitive of nights? It speaks volumes that FOX thought the show was solid enough to move to Thursdays, but in the end it just didn't work.

It seems FOX is looking for the next big show to groom for that Thursday night slot and therefore has given up on Fringe.
Yeah, I mean that's their goal, but it would have been nice in season 2 if they had realized right away how ill-fated that plan was and had looked for a different solution.
Drealmcc0y said:
http://jeremyrowe1.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/noose.jpg[MG][/QUOTE]You're a fucker.[QUOTE=CrankyJay]Well, the ending will be characters from both universes will meet up in a multi-denominational church and smile at one another and be glad for the time they spent together.

The end.[/QUOTE]
:lol
If we end this season, I'm sure we'll get an epic cliffhanger and it will hurt. The way Pinkner and Wyman talk about it, everything to come in season 3 is building up to a season 4. :(

Clevinger

Image Credit: Image Credit: Liane Hentscher/Fox Nooooo! Is the Friday death slot curse tightening its grip on Fringe?
After two weeks of maintaining its Thursday ratings in its new Friday time period, the Fox drama slipped 16% last week. Last night, it slipped 13% further — to 3.7 million viewers and a 1.4 in the preliminary adult demo. Lead-in Kitchen Nightmares (3.7 million, 1.5) dropped 12%.
The CW’s Smallville (2.3 million, 0.9) and Supernatural (2.0 million, 0.9) took a mild hit too, both down 10% from last week.
Friday night wasn’t very kind to the second episode of CBS’ The Defenders (7.9 million, 1.1) in its new time period either. The legal drama fell 15% from last week and its tough to imagine CBS bringing back the show for another season if it remains near this number. At 9 p.m., CSI: NY (9.7 million, 1.5) was down 21% from last week’s episode that aired at 10 p.m. and had a stronger lead-in.
The second week of NBC’s Who Do You Think You Are (6.6 million, 1.4), with Tim McGraw as the celebrity guest, went against the downward stream and improved a tenth. Dateline (5.7 million, 1.4) followed. ABC aired 20/20 (6.4 million, 1.6).

Everything did bad. The only things that did better were by like one or two points. Though I guess that doesn't matter?

ivysaur12

Banned
Clevinger said:
Everything did bad. The only things that did better were by like one or two points. Though I guess that doesn't matter?

No, not really. It really just points to all of the networks' inability to program on Fridays, sadly.

big ander

Clevinger said:
And as long as there's stuff ahead it's in trouble. You don't need to be the best show to survive, just not the last.

Averon

I never understood why Fox moved Fringe from Tuesdays to Thursdays, where it had much tougher competition. It was either overconfidence in Fringe's ability to compete for viewers or foolishness. I vote the latter. Knowing they fucked up moving Fringe off Tuesdays and the Tuesday slot now filled with other shows, they moved it to Fridays. The only thing that will save Fringe is the lowered standards execs have of Friday viewing numbers. If Fringe don't fall too low, it may eke out a final 4th season.

mm04

Well, that's depressing. We can only hope that the 18 to 49 box office pull was strong on Friday and that had an effect on all the shows dropping some this week. I guess we can pray that it goes up a tick in the final ratings, but I'm not optimistic. I hate that everyone has access to these numbers almost immediately, because cancellation becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Like these Nielsen viewers don't see these numbers or something. They'd be just as likely to jump off a sinking ship if that's the perception.

big ander

Drealmcc0y said:
I was just joking.

We gave Erigu too much credit, all I did was write 6 words and one image and people are baited.
You can't blame me for being high strung. Fringe is inching closer to death with no sign of future reanimation.

Epcott

Hay FOX, if Glee is such a hit, have it trade places with Fringe and move it to Fridays (so it can snag that young hipster crowd sitting at home bored on Friday nights). Then move Fringe back to Tuesday, everybody wins!

FOX... Fooooooox, are you listening?

I'd rather see Glee die on Fridays

The show has to go back to a 1.9 for us to hold out any hope.

Ha, yea right, let's just enjoy this final season. I already despise the LTTP threads post series cancellation.

Clevinger said:
Why? It's doubtful those people will have had Nielsen Boxes.

So? Don't you talk to other people about the shows you love? The more people that watch it in general is good for the show, whether they have a box or not. It's bound to happen that someone knows another person that's part of a Nielsen family.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
FYI this is part of the reason I watch Fringe and other bubble shows I like on Hulu or another (legal, sanctioned) online streaming source.

I'm not a Nielsen family so my TV viewing isn't counted. But online, every single person that watches a show is counted.

Does this make a difference? Probably not. There is absolutely 0 stories of a show pulling a 1.4 on TV, but being "saved" because a lot of people watched it on Hulu. But I figure... it can't hurt. At least my view is COUNTED, this way.

Plus, I would imagine online viewership is not an insignificant amount of money, at this point. A little back of the envelope math:

If ~300,000 people stream each episode of Fringe, and there are four paid 30-second commercials (assuming one unpaid), that is 1.2M paid spots per episode. If those spots are sold for $30 CPM, then that is $36,000 per episode, or $792,000 for the season. Not much, but not exactly chopped liver.

& of course it is possible twice that many people stream, Hulu CPMs are $50 not $30, there are 8 paid commercials (2 per break) etc.

GDJustin said:
FYI this is part of the reason I watch Fringe and other bubble shows I like on Hulu or another (legal, sanctioned) online streaming source.

I'm not a Nielsen family so my TV viewing isn't counted. But online, every single person that watches a show is counted.

Does this make a difference? Probably not. There is absolutely 0 stories of a show pulling a 1.4 on TV, but being "saved" because a lot of people watched it on Hulu. But I figure... it can't hurt. At least my view is COUNTED, this way.

Plus, I would imagine online viewership is not an insignificant amount of money, at this point. A little back of the envelope math:

If ~300,000 people stream each episode of Fringe, and there are four paid 30-second commercials (assuming one unpaid), that is 1.2M paid spots per episode. If those spots are sold for $30 CPM, then that is $36,000 per episode, or $792,000 for the season. Not much, but not exactly chopped liver.

& of course it is possible twice that many people stream, Hulu CPMs are $50 not $30, there are 8 paid commercials (2 per break) etc.

Didn't Dollhouse do higher than a 1.4 on Fridays? Damn hope they get a final season next year.

ElRenoRaven

Goddamn it. I can't say I didn't see this coming. Another show I love put on a shitty night for tv in general left to die. It will end on cliffhanger and I'll never get to see how this awesome show would have ended. I swear when they kill Fringe I'll never watch Fox ever again. I swear to fucking god I won't.

I've done it once with NBC and won't think twice about adding Fox to my boycott list. They're already close to it after Dollhouse and Sarah Conner Chronicles.

Top Bottom