• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

mm04

Damn it sucks I can't watch this with you all since I'm a West Coaster, but wow that episode. The brilliance of the show and the introduction of the Red Universe is that I actually care about these people. I care about Faux, Charlie (who I STILL miss in Blue) and Lincoln.

I thought the baby delivery scene was really well done. I totally got sucked into it and even though I truly never thought Faux was going to die, they made me believe it for a minute! The guy who plays Lincoln really sold it for me.

Quick tidbits...I agree that I think Lincoln and Charlie are going to eventually turn on Walternate. That's the sense I got when they were talking about AltBroyles. Also, I must be crazy to think that the reason Walternate and Brandon stole that blood sample is they're going to do a switcheroo on that baby. That's essentially the identifier, isn't it? That was my initial reaction, but I suppose that's not it.

I agree with Solo that somehow they keep elevating this show to ridiculous levels. I'm so damn happy we're getting a fourth season to see if they can continue the upward trajectory of the quality of the show. I read an interview that the show-runners always shoot to have a mind-blowing finale each season, so I have high hopes. Especially since I listened to the Jasika Nicole interview on the Fringe podcast and she was hyping it.

mm04 said:
I thought the baby delivery scene was really well done. I totally got sucked into it and even though I truly never thought Faux was going to die, they made me believe it for a minute! The guy who plays Lincoln really sold it for me.
That is what sold it for me as well. He did such a good job selling the scene that I actually bought that they might kill Fauxlivia.

Ken Tucker's recap and thoughts on "Bloodlines."

Hollywood Reporter interview with Pinker and Wyman about the 4th season renewal.

live-feed said:
THR: Did you have to push for a full 22-episode order?
Pinkner: It's not really our job to push. It's our job to tell the best stories we can in the best fashion we can. Trust the marketplace, trust that the fans are there, trust that the studio and the network recognize that. This is such a hard moment in time to get people to commit to anything. We were saying to each other a couple days ago, when you go to a movie, you already know that there's an end. You might not like it, but you know when you leave the theater, you will have seen the end of the story.

So much TV these days doesn't make it to "the end," whatever the storytellers have in mind, or there is no end in place. It's hard to get people to commit and showing loyalty to an audience, which is obviously what Fox is doing here, really gains a lot of value for Fox. It's like, "Watch these shows we're putting on the air because we're going to stand behind as you do."

Wyman: They're saying, "Hey, we believe in this program and we want to be the purveyor of programs that are critically acclaimed and purveyor of programs that people are really responding to and really embracing," which sounds obvious but there's a lot of critically acclaimed shows that have gone by the wayside in the past. There's something to be said about that decision. It's gutsy.

Still awaiting ratings.

ivysaur12

Banned
Ratings are a 1.5. Decent.

I hate, hate, HATE this director. He also did "Concentrate and Ask Again". I think I said it in this thread for that episode but it deserves to be said again: His constant use of dutch shots is stupid and makes the entire thing look terribly cheap.

WillyFive

ivysaur12 said:

I hate, hate, HATE this director. He also did "Concentrate and Ask Again". I think I said it in this thread for that episode but it deserves to be said again: His constant use of dutch shots is stupid and makes the entire thing look terribly cheap.

I didn't even notice it.

Nowhere near as bad as Battlefield Earth and Batman and Robin.

mm04

I'm actually kind of happy about that 1.5. It shows they got back the people they lost last week thanks to the first weekend of the NCAA tourney, daylight savings etc. I think for the rest of this season, that's pretty much what we can expect. Maybe it goes up a bit for the final 2 episodes or so, but it did go back up this week. So that's good.

ElRenoRaven

Well while 1.5 isn't as good as the 1.6 it was doing, it's a hell of a lot better then the 1.3 it was the week before. Also there was basketball playoffs again so that's amazing that it went back up to a 1.5 considering.

So I'm ok with that rating. More so since we know it has another season at least.

Mindlog said:
LSDmt!

Bringing Bubbles back before baby Bolivia's birth may have been a bit of a stretch, but it was still nice.
I thought it was nice to see him again. It showed Olivia had an affect on her, and it would be a little awkward when he ran into her and she didn't recognize him. My only complaint was that they didn't show Fauxlivia and "Henry" meet (unless they did and I have no recollection of it).

big ander

Veidt said:
wait, i thought charlie drowned?
dude we were talking about Lost season 1 and a different event, you really really should cover that with tags for anyone who hasn't watched lost
mm04 said:
Quick tidbits...I agree that I think Lincoln and Charlie are going to eventually turn on Walternate. That's the sense I got when they were talking about AltBroyles. Also, I must be crazy to think that the reason Walternate and Brandon stole that blood sample is they're going to do a switcheroo on that baby. That's essentially the identifier, isn't it? That was my initial reaction, but I suppose that's not it.
Lincoln and Charlie are totally going to turn.
ivysaur12 said:

Alright, 1.5. Good enough.
I noticed all of the Dutch angles too, but I didn't hate them at all. In fact, I even said earlier that the one in the birth scene was really awesome.

Raxus

PhoncipleBone said:
1.5 is not amazing, but it is an improvement.
It still is going up against basketball and it is nice to see a huge improvement, especially after the news of the renewal.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
big ander said:
dude we were talking about Lost season 1 and a different event, you really really should cover that with tags for anyone who hasn't watched lost
Lincoln and Charlie are totally going to turn.

Alright, 1.5. Good enough.
I noticed all of the Dutch angles too, but I didn't hate them at all. In fact, I even said earlier that the one in the birth scene was really awesome.

Lost has been over for a year now. I don't think it'll matter.

But I will, regardless.

big ander

For that pessimistic take on last nights episode and where the show will go in season 4, head to Memles blog.
My concern, though, is that the writers will lose their sense of scale due to budget cuts and think that the solution is to replace depth with volume. Instead of having a more complex and intriguing overarching storyline, one which enables diverse forms of storytelling and unique character building opportunities, they’ll simply spend more time on serialized plot but from a narrower perspective. What I loved so much about the “Over There” storyline is how it used the procedural structure to its advantage, giving us time to see the structure as both a serialized element and as a new twist on the show’s more episodic structures. Whatever the show moves onto next, I worry that it will exist purely in the realm of “mythology,” and that its lack of concrete form will result in a less interesting series.
Veidt said:
Lost has been over for a year now. I don't think it'll matter.

But I will, regardless.
Twin Peaks came out 20 years ago and I'm still not going to post who the killer is without spoiler tags. :p

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Yeah once Charlie & Lincoln learn everything about what Walternate did, i'm sure they wont cooperate anymore with him, and maybe help our Fringe Division.

Ceebs

So it would be safe to assume that Baby Bishop got juiced up with Cortexiphan right? At least that is what the ending seemed to be implying.

I thought it was pretty obvious that Walternate knew that accelerating the pregnancy would counteract the condition Olivia had which would normally kill both of them, had she carried it for the whole 9 months. I figured he had to be secret because he figured she wouldn't agree to do it willingly

gdt

ThLunarian said:
I thought it was pretty obvious that Walternate knew that accelerating the pregnancy would counteract the condition Olivia had which would normally kill both of them, had she carried it for the whole 9 months. I figured he had to be secret because he figured she wouldn't agree to do it willingly

That's how I saw it.

mm04

Yep, I agree as well. Fauxlivia is into her own self-preservation. I doubt she wanted the kid at any point prior to its birth. She pretty much admitted that to her mother. Walternate wanted to be sure she didn't go and get an abortion.

ivysaur12 said:
V7Eii.gif

anaron

I stopped watching around the middle of season one and have checked out some episodes this season due to the buzz.

It's nice to see what the show has become since its rather middling start. And Walter and Astrid are still the best characters, so there's that too. :p

deim0s

Ceebs said:
So it would be safe to assume that Baby Bishop got juiced up with Cortexiphan right? At least that is what the ending seemed to be implying.

Seems like it... I thought the wALTer was redeemed somewhat of not doing tests to kids, can't trust the peeps on the other side, I guess. Well except for Lincoln and Charlie - which to me seems pretty much a straight arrow.

Q: Would the Lincoln on the other side join the Fringe division (from last ep)?

~Kinggi~

Banned
So was season 3 good? Just ordered season 2 blu ray since its on sale at amazon and have watched a bit of the season 1. I kinda liked what i saw of season 1.

It being renewed for a season 4 is good news. I dont like investing in TV shows that end in a few seasons.

anaron said:
I stopped watching around the middle of season one and have checked out some episodes this season due to the buzz.

It's nice to see what the show has become since its rather middling start. And Walter and Astrid are still the best characters, so there's that too. :p

If you stopped at the middle of season one, then you stopped just an episode or two before things stepped up big time (episode 13 is where things started coming together good, and even retroactively made those early episodes better by explain a load of stuff). There is another small lull at the start of season 2, but things step up again bit time a few episodes into that season, and have not really stopped since.

~Kinggi~ said:
So was season 3 good? Just ordered season 2 blu ray since its on sale at amazon and have watched a bit of the season 1. I kinda liked what i saw of season 1.

It being renewed for a season 4 is good news. I dont like investing in TV shows that end in a few seasons.

Early season one and early season two really are the only bad bits of the show (but there is still loads of good stuff in there). The back end of season one and two are AMAZING TV. Season 3 has been fantastic throughout, without any slow start that was seen in the other two seasons - but yet it still seems to be getting better as we get towards the end.

If you like Season 1, and have yet to see Episode 14 "Ability" then you will love what is to follow right up to what to what was shown last night

mm04

~Kinggi~ said:

So far, Season 3 is the BEST of the 3 seasons IMO. To me, the quality has been incredibly consistent all season long with very few if any "throw away" episodes.

LQX

~Kinggi~ said:

But you already invested in two seasons....and with how dramatic season 2 ends I don't see how you could not be interested in season 3.

~Kinggi~

Banned
LQX said:
But you already invested in two seasons....and with how dramatic season 2 ends I don't see how you could not be interested in season 3.
Yeah i guess it was a bit of a risk picking it up without really knowing lol

Solo said:
Spotless is off his rocker, letting his LOST hatred blind him. There was nothing alike between the two scenes. One involved swelling Giacchino music and a man literally slugging away on another man's chest while Evangeline brings dem tears in the background. This one was simply a birth scene in which Lincoln confessed that which we've known all along (under the impression that Faux was a goner), which was touching and nice.
I find Lincoln incredibly boring, which adds to my reaction. I don't particularly care for The Other Side versions of the characters (Broyles was the only one to be infinitely more interesting than his counterpart) and find myself wishing it would switch back over so i could get some Walter/Astrid scenes.

Bubbles return was very welcome though!

big ander

Spotless Mind said:
I find Lincoln incredibly boring, which adds to my reaction. I don't particularly care for The Other Side versions of the characters (Broyles was the only one to be infinitely more interesting than his counterpart) and find myself wishing it would switch back over so i could get some Walter/Astrid scenes.

Bubbles return was very welcome though!
I sure do. The multiple MOTW episodes over there this year made them feel like real characters.

saunderez

Teh Hamburglar said:
Why does Alternate Astrid act like a robot?
I don't think she's acting like a robot, I just think she takes her job very seriously and as such is almost always showing a high level of professionalism.

Coeliacus

Teh Hamburglar said:
Why does Alternate Astrid act like a robot?
I think as the youngest character she is supposed to represent how messed up things are on the other side growing up through all of it. That is probably more symbolic than actual fact though, because you don't get aspergers through trauma.

Very nice catch. I like it.

I also like how dates are European style in America on the other side, and that the US is also on the metric system. As it should be.

Top Bottom