• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

big ander

Tiger uppercut said:
this episode was a mindfuck from not watching last weeks.. I didn't understand most the episode till the last ten minutes.
Why would you even do this. Especially with a show that's heavily serialized now, like Fringe. That's just a horrible idea, really.
Dany M said:
so...are we going to alter from future to current now?
I think we'll visit it again, no doubt. I don't think we'll alternate. Peter's choice made a new future, and I'm sure we'll explore it, but I don't think it'll be a regular thing.
brucewaynegretzky said:
Official New Name Confirmed.
I agree, because this will effectively force Team Fauxlivia to come over to Team Bolivia to avoid confusion. And everyone knows Bolivia is the proper name.
BenjaminBirdie said:
Lost will always have the edge production-wise, so it's not really a fair (or even that sensible) a comparison.
And I love it for that: it had amazing cinematography, better music. And while I definitely love a higher percentage of Fringe characters, there were more characters to love on Lost. There are pieces of each that I'm absolutely head-over-heels for, so comparing them just doesn't make sense.
Let me in said:
Definitely agree with this. There was no setup for it and there was also no consequence hence no impact.

Not sure I agree that the last episodes were disappointing, but I do feel like they're sort of careening down a story arc at high speed towards the end here. Guess it makes sense considering they're trying to close out the season, but I think the beginning of S3 was definitely more compelling and more in line with Fringe's true nature in terms of slowly revealing mysteries and gently nudging the 'A' story forward while doing investigatory/procedural 'B' stories.
As I said already, there was plenty of consequence. It caused a rift in the very fabric of time. As for impact, we didn't know at the time whether that future would be true or not. Sure, it's implausible that Olivia would die, but how did you know Bolivia wouldn't show up? Or that she wouldn't inhabit someone with soul magnets? Just because it resulted in an ending that prevented Olivia from dying and Walter from going crazy and the universe from breaking down, doesn't mean that those weren't meaningful at the time. When a character seems in danger but they escape it, it doesn't make the danger less real.
brucewaynegretzky said:
Ok so I've never watched Lost, but I always found it weird that a sci-fi show got such a big budget and mass audience promotion. I know people who watched that show who never watched sci-fi otherwise. What was the hook that got the mass audience? Fringe tried the police procedural route, but it seemed to only work to a certain extent. What did it for Lost? Hot girls in ripped up clothes? Promotion as a drama? I have no clue. I watched part of the first episode once, but I wasn't amazed or anything.
While I think Fringe takes that brainier crime procedural route, Lost took more of an action-adventure route. Also, it had a very low concentration of sci-fi overall.

big ander said:
And I love it for that: it had amazing cinematography, better music. And while I definitely love a higher percentage of Fringe characters, there were more characters to love on Lost. There are pieces of each that I'm absolutely head-over-heels for, so comparing them just doesn't make sense.

Yeah, Fringe is just differently focused. More intimate.

Also, and I'm sure this is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I think Lost just had better writers. I keep going back to the commentary on the Fringe S2 finale and the showrunners (not me) were talking about how great Jackson was at delivering (swear, they said this) their terrible dialogue and I was like "Shit, man. Don't say something like that." Not that Lost was Deadwood or anything, but when the showrunners themselves are talking about what shitty writers they are, it's....yeah.

big ander

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yeah, Fringe is just differently focused. More intimate.

Also, and I'm sure this is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I think Lost just had better writers. I keep going back to the commentary on the Fringe S2 finale and the showrunners (not me) were talking about how great Jackson was at delivering (swear, they said this) their terrible dialogue and I was like "Shit, man. Don't say something like that." Not that Lost was Deadwood or anything, but when the showrunners themselves are talking about what shitty writers they are, it's....yeah.
I agree that Lost had better writing, but Fringe has some damn good wordsmiths. Akiva Goldsman, Wyman, and Pinkner are all fantastic.

I'm so glad at the way this has become one of my favorite shows. It's my new Scrubs or Lost or Arrested Development, where I can just start talking about it and never stop. <3 fringe.

squicken said:
Who was the black haired girl they gave the flag to at Olivia's funeral? Her niece?
Yeah, Ella was all through the episode. She talked to Walter for a while. We followed her in the Fringe office. Out in the field.

Which reminds me, where's Rachel in the future?

Let me in

big ander said:
As I said already, there was plenty of consequence. It caused a rift in the very fabric of time. As for impact, we didn't know at the time whether that future would be true or not. Sure, it's implausible that Olivia would die, but how did you know Bolivia wouldn't show up? Or that she wouldn't inhabit someone with soul magnets? Just because it resulted in an ending that prevented Olivia from dying and Walter from going crazy and the universe from breaking down, doesn't mean that those weren't meaningful at the time. When a character seems in danger but they escape it, it doesn't make the danger less real.
Maybe lack of consequence was a poor way to put it, but emotionally it didn't have an impact on me. It was rushed, first of all. There was no time for that tension and danger to build up. Walternate threatens the death, we all know who it's going to be instantly and then it's done. I really tried to feel moved by that scene with everyone crying but it just wasn't there. Too much going on in the background for it to feel meaningful.

As an audience member, if I wasn't convinced by the portrayal of the death then the show didn't do it's job and it doesn't matter what I knew or what I thought would be true at the time.

It's worse than Spock being revived on Genesis, but at least at the end of ST2 the culmination of the movie in his death was thematically relevant and consistent with the story.

It's really picking nits because I like the episode a lot, but this part sticks out as badly done imo.

big ander

Let me in said:
Maybe lack of consequence was a poor way to put it, but emotionally it didn't have an impact on me. It was rushed, first of all. There was no time for that tension and danger to build up. Walternate threatens the death, we all know who it's going to be instantly and then it's done. I really tried to feel moved by that scene with everyone crying but it just wasn't there. Too much going on in the background for it to feel meaningful.

As an audience member, if I wasn't convinced by the portrayal of the death then the show didn't do it's job and it doesn't matter what I knew or what I thought would be true at the time.

It's worse than Spock being revived on Genesis, but at least at the end of ST2 the culmination of the movie in his death was thematically relevant and consistent with the story.

It's really picking nits because I like the episode a lot, but this part sticks out as badly done imo.
Fair enough. Personally, I felt the slow way they handled the aftermath made it count. The rest of the episode definitely went at a breakneck speed so that Peter could take all this in and then go back and merge the universes by the end. But the silent funeral, with everyone crying, followed by Peter falling into depression and looking at the picture: all of that made it hit me hard.
I do see what you're saying though.
Bisnic said:
From the way Walter was talking to Ella, i'm pretty sure Rachel died when Peter used the machine.
I got this feeling too but I didn't know if I was reading into it too much. Also, at that point Olivia had already died so I thought maybe Walter was just referring to her. But his apology could also be for both.

big ander

TripOpt55 said:
Ella being in the future parts was cool. Also, I really liked the new opening and the darker location markers for the future.
The opening is here if anyone wants to watch it again. I did.
The fringe-science concepts:
Cellular Rejuvenation
Thought Extraction
Cryptozoology
Neural Partitioning
Brain Porting
Temporal Plasticity
Dual Maternity
Chaos Structure
Clonal Transplantation
Water
Biosuspension
Hope

Heh, and according to Fringe Television the glyphs said "No More". Dope.

ivysaur12

Banned
Woah.

Okay, so... If Astrid and co. are the First People, how did the machine get in both universes? And how is there a manuscript about it? And who actually made the machine?

And yeah, not sure how I felt about Olivia's death. Or Nina's hat. And everyone I watched it with agreed that Rachel probably was dead.

TripOpt55

big ander said:
The opening is here if anyone wants to watch it again. I did.
The fringe-science concepts:
Cellular Rejuvenation
Thought Extraction
Cryptozoology
Neural Partitioning
Brain Porting
Temporal Plasticity
Dual Maternity
Chaos Structure
Clonal Transplantation
Water
Biosuspension
Hope

Heh, and according to Fringe Television the glyphs said "No More". Dope.
Thanks for the list. I went back to watch it afterwards and was pausing to look at all the different concepts. I was going to write them down at some point. Really cool stuff.

DSN2K

it doesn't make entire sense, and I think thats the point perhaps, there are only 2 consistencies for me in Fringe, the Machine and Observers. They are the issue here.

"served his purpose' also implies they were in control of the whole situation...

mm04

I don't even know what to say about the finale. My mind is blown. Dunno WTF is gonna happen with no Peter (at least at first) and how they're going to re-introduce him back. I agree with a lot of what big ander had to say, but I'm still trying to digest what actually happened. What a ride this season was.

I am open to complete craziness now. I am ready for crazy episodes

SEASON 4:

- Peter and Olivia go back in time, with machine prices, bury them.
- They cannot get home, so bone.
- They have a baby, and they call him Sam
- He is the first Sam Weiss
- They teach him of the future
- He now knows lots of stuff, and Weiss is German for "Knows"
- He tells his descendants
- Books are written
- He tells them again
- More books
- Again, again, again
- The last Sam Weiss mets his Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Grandchildren
- PRESENT DAY
- LOST

DSN2K

Peter is the new Sam beckett;

quantum_leap.jpg

lost in time because he fixed the problems that meant he didn't exist.

big ander

This is getting some awful reviews from TV critics. But one is from Memles, who has always seemed to dislike the show. He may claim that's not true, but I've always really felt that from his reviews. The other, more surprising one is from Jace Lacob of televisionary, who also had the false emotion complaint. I'm think that he was overthinking it and was too close to the actual mechanics of the show to buy into it. People who work so close to the shows in that way may not be able to buy into a flashforward, even if it has the potential to be real.
TripOpt55 said:
Thanks for the list. I went back to watch it afterwards and was pausing to look at all the different concepts. I was going to write them down at some point. Really cool stuff.
I think the most interesting one is "hope". That's some bleak stuff.

DSN2K said:
it doesn't make entire sense, and I think thats the point perhaps, there are only 2 consistences for me in Fringe, the Machine and Observers. They are the issue here.

"served his purpose' also implies they were in control of the whole situation...
I don't think they were controlling it, but they saw that if this path was followed, Peter would have "served his purpose" and would disappear. What does that mean? We don't know yet ^_^

Fireblend

Banned
So, someone on reddit mentioned the
half dollar coin from the previous episode being the plot device used to clue everyone in on Peter's disappearance next season
. It makes perfect sense to me, though I'd mention it here.

Holy shit at the whole episode. It didn't bring as much closure as I expected it would, unless I'm not getting some things. I mean, if they don't remember Peter, how the hell do they justify the fact there's perfect replicas of each other standing in front of them? It can't even begin to be explained without Peter. I can't wait to see exactly what's going on, because we definitely don't have enough information right now.

It felt a bit rushed for sure though, I would have liked the "future" arc a lot more if it had lasted 2 or 3 episodes instead of dropping all bombs on us in the span of a single episode.

maruchan

love this ep.. but did anyone get bill and teds excellent adventure.. When bill still stills his dad's key in the past so he can jailbrake his time pals..

walter sends the machine through the worm hole that lead to dinosaur age, so they can dig it up in the future and then alter it..

Did anyone catch the Rocket Poppeteers poster in the episode tonight? Made my family pause the show just so I could look at it.

(References the upcoming Abrams film "Super 8" and the ARG that accompanied it.)

Memles

big ander said:
This is getting some awful reviews from TV critics. But one is from Memles, who has always seemed to dislike the show. He may claim that's not true, but I've always really felt that from his reviews.

Fair enough.

I will readily admit that my lack of patience for this episode's narrative failures (which I will argue exist independent of one's enjoyment) is entirely based on the fact that I've never fallen for the show as hard as many others - while episodes like "White Tulip" are incredibly strong, and the early parts of this season were buoyed by the dual Olivias and a strong centering performance from Anna Torv, I have never been engaged with the kind of paradox-puzzling and theorizing that the show has engaged in. Frankly, I think the show's more interesting when it's playing around with procedural structure than when it's indulging in this type of story, and if that counts as "disliking" the show then I think that's a perfectly fair reason to contextualize my critique in this light.

That being said, I know Ryan McGee is a much bigger fan of the show than I am, and had most of the same complaints: http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/monkeys-as-critics/posts/recap-fringe-finale-the-day-we-died. I would hope that his review wouldn't be so easily dismissed out of hand.

Eteric Rice

Solo said:
Peter merging the universes I saw coming - I think most of us have for a long time (well, technically he didnt merge shit - there is still Universe A and Universe B, but theres also a bridge between them now), but Peter then disappearing into thin air and Observers talking about him as a non-entity? DID NOT SEE THAT COMING!

Also, First People!

First people seem to be our ancestors... So they're actually the second people.

My brain is full of fuck.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So, when should we hope to see Season 3 on DVD/Bluray? Hopefully not 1 week before Season 4 starts...

big ander

Fireblend said:
So, someone on reddit mentioned the
half dollar coin from the previous episode being the plot device used to clue everyone in on Peter's disappearance next season
. It makes perfect sense to me, though I'd mention it here.

Holy shit at the whole episode. It didn't bring as much closure as I expected it would, unless I'm not getting some things. I mean, if they don't remember Peter, how the hell do they justify the fact there's perfect replicas of each other standing in front of them? It can't even begin to be explained without Peter. I can't wait to see exactly what's going on, because we definitely don't have enough information right now.

It felt a bit rushed for sure though, I would have liked the "future" arc a lot more if it had lasted 2 or 3 episodes instead of dropping all bombs on us in the span of a single episode.
I'm thinking that, somehow, their entire memories were reworked around Peter.

PigSpeakers said:
Did anyone catch the Rocket Poppeteers poster in the episode tonight? Made my family pause the show just so I could look at it.

(References the upcoming Abrams film "Super 8" and the ARG that accompanied it.)
Hah, nice catch.

Memles said:
Fair enough.

I will readily admit that my lack of patience for this episode's narrative failures (which I will argue exist independent of one's enjoyment) is entirely based on the fact that I've never fallen for the show as hard as many others - while episodes like "White Tulip" are incredibly strong, and the early parts of this season were buoyed by the dual Olivias and a strong centering performance from Anna Torv, I have never been engaged with the kind of paradox-puzzling and theorizing that the show has engaged in. Frankly, I think the show's more interesting when it's playing around with procedural structure than when it's indulging in this type of story, and if that counts as "disliking" the show then I think that's a perfectly fair reason to contextualize my critique in this light.

That being said, I know Ryan McGee is a much bigger fan of the show than I am, and had most of the same complaints: http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/monkeys-as-critics/posts/recap-fringe-finale-the-day-we-died. I would hope that his review wouldn't be so easily dismissed out of hand.
It's fair that you think that, I suppose.
I did read Ryan's review, and after going through that and talking with Jace Lacob on twitter for a bit, I can't really figure out what exactly has people on such opposing sides. In his recap/review, Noel Murray seems to feel that the future plot was formed well enough to allow investment. I agree with that. I don't see Fringe as the kind of show to bring something in simply as a plot device. I can't see this one episode being the only instance of the future being shown, and I doubt we'll only see time travel used this once to prevent a bleak future from happening. Mr. Lacob said that revisiting the future often was completely implausible, but the more I watched the episode the more I believed it was very doable. The make-up wasn't too extensive. The sets weren't loads more elaborate. It seems all of these practical elements outside the narrative stopped some from investing in it. In my case (and the case of many others, going by the fan reaction) I trusted this future would not be just a MacGuffin on the way to season 4, but an area much like 1985 or Red Universe that would become a major part of the program. With that, I took Olivia's death seriously, I felt horrible for Ella, and I was intrigued in Broyles' new position of power. I bought into the future. If, from this point on, the future is never touched on and the 2026 diversion is shown to be just that, a diversion, I'll be right there with the critics saying "the season 3 finale was disappointing in the end". For now? I'm along for the ride and still smiling/crying the whole way.

Fatalah

Following the Central Park explosion with Fulivia, the camera pans from the sky surveying the Fringe crew laid out on the ground. Familiar shot -- did the bodies spell out something again?

Replicant

Oh my poor brain. I did expect some of the things to happen the way it happened but I didn't think my brain will be fucked so thoroughly by the finale.

I need some time before I can say something else.....

Fireblend

Banned
big ander said:
I'm thinking that, somehow, their entire memories were reworked around Peter.
And that would be the biggest indication we have of Peter coming back within the first ~5 episodes of next season. They'll not last long in "stupid mode" either completely skipping around the issue or "unconsciously" avoiding it like their consciousnesses have been brainwashed/wired to not see anything wrong with all the inconsistencies in front of them. Right now the show is a huge plot-hole/paradoxes generation machine, and the only way to fix it is by bringing back Peter. Which makes me really confused about what it is exactly the Observers think they "fixed.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
zychi said:
Page back.

I've read the last two pages and they don't say anything. Other than one other poster asking the same question.

You can't just answer...?

TripOpt55

PigSpeakers said:

I saw this poster, but didn't know what it was.

mm04

Fireblend said:
And that would be the biggest indication we have of Peter coming back within the first ~5 episodes of next season. They'll not last long in "stupid mode" either completely skipping around the issue or "unconsciously" avoiding it like their consciousnesses have been brainwashed/wired to not see anything wrong with all the inconsistencies in front of them. Right now the show is a huge plot-hole/paradoxes generation machine, and the only way to fix it is by bringing back Peter. Which makes me really confused about what it is exactly the Observers think they "fixed.

I agree with you. Peter is going to make a return in one way or the other, somehow. Now, we really just need to have faith that the writers will do a great job of tying it back together. IMO, they haven't let us down so far, so I don't have any reason to believe that we won't get some satisfactory resolution. What they did succeed in doing is making a lot of people say WTF?! and I'm sure it'll generate some buzz. I'm betting the Comic-Con panel is going to be fairly anticipated.

On another note, I don't know how Peter just didn't punch Walternate in the face when he got outa the machine. Sure, I would've explained myself as to what I had done to merge universes etc, but I would've beaten Walternate's ass six ways till Sunday before that. Hell, I may have just destroyed that punk ass' universe 2 times in a row.

As to the whole no consequence/dream sequence analogy, I don't buy it. We already know that Emily Meade (Fringe Ella) is going to be a recurring character. I think what we're going to see are episodes of she, Walter and Astrid and possibly Peter, figuring out how to send the machine back. I mean, I guess it gets into semantics on what you personally consider for something to have real consequences, but I didn't have a problem with the time jump at all.

GDJustin said:
I've read the last two pages and they don't say anything. Other than one other poster asking the same question.

You can't just answer...?

I believe it was just an easter egg of sorts that Walter had a stroke at some point over the last 15 years.

Fatalah

big ander said:
The make-up wasn't too extensive.

I was very impressed by the makeup decisions made. Not at all heavy handed, just enough tweaks to be believable. I also love how Peter ends up with his father's hairline.

(Oh and Fulivia looked damn attractive. Oh that Anna Torv...)

mm04

Fatalah said:
I was very impressed by the makeup decisions made. Not at all heavy handed, just enough tweaks to be believable. I also love how Peter ends up with his father's hairline.

(Oh and Fulivia looked damn attractive. Oh that Anna Torv...)

I liked the makeup work, as well.

As for an aged Olivia, I have a crush on her now like I had for Dana Scully back in the day.

Al-ibn Kermit

Maybe they just gave him 20 years of make-up wrinkles. If you have a stroke, won't that also affect the way you walk also? Or can it only affect a specific part of the body?

My thoughts on this episode is that the observers weren't being literal in what they said about peter. Obviously he always existed since he's the reason Walter first crossed over and caused all the problems. Also it wouldn't be that popular if they cut him out of the show from now on.

Awesome episode though, it's really amazing that they waited a few years to reveal this twist to us. It would suck if this show didn't have 22 episode seasons, we would have to wait 9 months for the next season to begin.

mm04

Al-ibn Kermit said:
My thoughts on this episode is that the observers weren't being literal in what they said about peter. Obviously he always existed since he's the reason Walter first crossed over and caused all the problems. Also it wouldn't be that popular if they cut him out of the show from now on.

I think you're right, as far as the Observers being so literal about something. In the past, the writers have tried not to spell something out so blatantly for the viewers, and if they did, it wasn't always truthful. Peter's existence is what caused Walter to cross over to begin with. It's kind of like the time machine paradox. You can't change the event that caused you to build the time machine to begin with. It's gonna be a long 4 months...

squicken

Alright so I never rewatch shows, but just did. And I still don't understand the whole Walter sending the device back in time. Why does he have to do that? And pulling Peter's conscious forward to show him the mistake?

So future, in prison Walter built the machine? Or did the observers build it and Fringe folk just found it?

And he sent it back in time to pull Peter forward to show him the error of destroying one universe with the very machine he sent back?

And he had no choice but to send the machine back since he tore the fabric of both universes apart at the lake, so something had to heal the universes, so it had to be Peter and the machine?

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Jesus.

Anyway, judging by that interview, one of the keys to the whole Peter situation is the consequence of Peter knowing the future. Walter and Peter discuss how huge the reprecussions could be, I think Peters disappearance is linked to that.

squicken said:
Alright so I never rewatch shows, but just did. And I still don't understand the whole Walter sending the device back in time. Why does he have to do that? And pulling Peter's conscious forward to show him the mistake?

So future, in prison Walter built the machine? Or did the observers build it and Fringe folk just found it?

And he sent it back in time to pull Peter forward to show him the error of destroying one universe with the very machine he sent back?

And he had no choice but to send the machine back since he tore the fabric of both universes apart at the lake, so something had to heal the universes, so it had to be Peter and the machine?

OK I was thinking about this too. I think the time in between when Peter got in the machine and the future never happened. The only "settled time" is what we've seen+past and the future while Peter is there. Therefore, Walter "has" to send the machine back because it's been settled that it has to be there. But the catch is that after Peter sees that he can go back to where he came from and change the future because the time in between hasn't "settled."

squicken

brucewaynegretzky said:
OK I was thinking about this too. I think the time in between when Peter got in the machine and the future never happened. The only "settled time" is what we've seen+past and the future while Peter is there. Therefore, Walter "has" to send the machine back because it's been settled that it has to be there. But the catch is that after Peter sees that he can go back to where he came from and change the future because the time in between hasn't "settled."

I think I worded my initial question wrong. I don't think future Walter built that machine while in prison. I have no idea who constructed it. But future Walter realizes his universe is in peril and so sends the machine back in time so that it will pull Peter forward so that he (Peter) can see his error and instead of destroying one universe, he should merge them?

I thought future Walter mentioned something like there would be ramifications for pulling Peter's conscious forward. Like when I first saw it, and even on the second viewing, Olivia's death meant nothing to me. I knew it wouldn't matter.

But future Walter talking about ramifications means that the future timeline is and was real and has an impact? Or maybe the impact is that Peter will go back and undue it's existence? Or that Peter will undue his own existence?

Also why is Peter able to see the mistake he made and reverse it, but not able to see how the merging plays out? And if future Walter sent the machine back, how did he know Peter's initial choice wouldn't be permanent? That he could undue it?

zychi

Banned
I might just be over thinking it, but I think Peter disappeared because he and our world Peter had to be in the same place since the universes became tied together. Every main character that was in the room that ties the universes together was with their counterpart. Walternate's Peter(main character we've seen all along) had to go wherever Walter's dead son Peter is. I think both Peter's are just at dead Peter's burial site right now.

I can't give myself an answer to what the Observers said was fixed, but I'm pretty sure it was just stopping the worlds from destroying each other.

oatmeal

Banned
What I thought was funny is that...they supposedly dropped their budget when they moved to the Friday slot, but things just got bigger and bigger.

Icicle

I wish that
the man that Olivia saw in LSD was the one who killed her, despite the emotional poignancy of Walternate being the one who did it
. It seems kind of ridiculous that she would see her
future attempted assassin, but not the one that actually killed her

Top Bottom