• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

RPGamer92

Banned
Wasn't it confirmed to be
Future Prime Universe Walter after how he tells future Peter that he sent the parts back in time?

ivysaur12

Banned
PSFan said:
Wasn't it confirmed to be
Future Prime Universe Walter after how he tells future Peter that he sent the parts back in time?

But then that's a huge paradox. Where did the machine come from in the first place? Even if it's just sent back in time, Walter didn't actually build it.

And who made the First People manuscripts?

Make_XxxX

Banned
My mind is all:
pokerface.jpeg

in a good way

RPGamer92

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
But then that's a huge paradox. Where did the machine come from in the first place? Even if it's just sent back in time, Walter didn't actually build it.

And who made the First People manuscripts?

1. Maybe Walter in the future built the parts and sent them back and 2. Season 4 might show the future version of Walter, Astrid, and Ella writing the manuscripts maybe?

Why are we spoiler tagging things from an episode that has already aired? It has shown on every coast, and the next season is months away. There are no spoilers left to conceal until stuff starts to leak about the next season.

RPGamer92

Banned
I was just being safe and didn't know for sure what the policy was regarding spoilers. So we don't have to spoiler tag stuff from last night's episode then?

PSFan said:
I was just being safe and didn't know for sure what the policy was regarding spoilers. So we don't have to spoiler tag stuff from last night's episode then?

We don't have to spoiler anything till info starts leaking out for Season 4

ivysaur12

Banned
PSFan said:
1. Maybe Walter in the future built the parts and sent them back and 2. Season 4 might show the future version of Walter, Astrid, and Ella writing the manuscripts maybe?

Yeah, but they're written in weird strange language. Not to mention that those manuscripts influenced the First People books but there were still some "missing" manuscripts that Walter, Astrid, and Ella (henceforth, Wale) wouldn't have known about. Unless they found them in the 15 year time period. But then, WHO WROTE THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE?

My guess is on The Observers. Or the head Observer, Calender.

EDIT: Trying to do a writeup for last night's episode. I don't think I can. Ugh.

mm04

Did anyone count the number of Observers at the end? I thought I saw 10. We know that August is dead and the assumption is there's one for every month, so maybe the child Observer from season 1 would count and wasn't present?

AnkitT

Oh man, wow! I think i'll need some time to ruminate over this episode. Just really fantastic, and lived up to the hype.

Fatalah

Spoilers from last night below, steer clear.

So here's my understanding of last night's episode, hopefully we're all on the same page.

In 2026, our world is ending due to Walter's cross-dimensional experiments. At some point FutureWalter has a revelation -- if he can merge the two worlds at a critical point in 2011, both can be saved.

Enter the machine. FutureWalter creates it, and uses a wormhole to send the parts to the Palaeozaic era for safe keeping. (How did FutureWalter bury the parts? I suppose they were found underground for the same reason dinosaur bones are.)

Next, FutureWalter needs a force to drive the two worlds to the machine.

Enter Peter.

He creates and plants the idea of Peter, a huge emotional pull, to all parties involved. Once Peter's function is fulfilled, his program ends.

Items to clear up next season:
+ Walter's sudden memory loss.
Was this really due to William Bell? FutureWalter may have lowered his past self's intelligence to prevent realizing Peter.

+ Do they even exist?
William Bell, Nina Sharp.

+ The importance of Olivia.
Is Olivia merely a vehicle for cortexiphan? The drug was essential for the machine to run, cortexiphan was equal to a cog within the machine. Thus, essentially, Olivia was a cog in the machine built to save the world.

+ Agent John Scott's death
FuWalter's motive: Remove John Scott from Olivia's heart, replace with Peter.

More thoughts:
+ Peter, Olivia, and cortexiphan sitting in a tree... :
How many times did Olivia rely on motivation from Peter in order for her abilities to kick in?

ivysaur12

Banned
mm04 said:
Did anyone count the number of Observers at the end? I thought I saw 10. We know that August is dead and the assumption is there's one for every month, so maybe the child Observer from season 1 would count and wasn't present?

My favorite scene:

fringe.png

Love the blocking here, and how there's a clear lack of Over There Broyles.

PSFan said:

General spoiler guidelines for any show on GAF are that they are safe after the original airing. With Fringe it is safe to talk without spoiler tags once it has aired on the East Coast. A show like Doctor Who, it is safe after the UK airing.

RPGamer92

Banned
A cool little easter egg that they could have in season 4 IMO is that when Future Walter sent back the machine parts, he unknowingly "caused" the "Big-Bang" and killed the dinosaurs.

PSFan said:
A cool little easter egg that they could have in season 4 IMO is that when Future Walter sent back the machine parts, he unknowingly "caused" the "Big-Bang" and killed the dinosaurs.

That I think is going a tad too far, even for this show. But that is just me.

ivysaur12

Banned
PSFan said:

It was the Paleozoic era! Ooh, that's cool.

dork

Banned
Fatalah said:

So here's my understanding of last night's episode, hopefully we're all on the same page.

In 2026, our world is ending due to Walter's cross-dimensional experiments. At some point FutureWalter has a revelation -- if he can merge the two worlds at a critical point in 2011, both can be saved.

Enter the machine. FutureWalter creates it, and uses a wormhole to send the parts to the Palaeozaic era for safe keeping. (How did FutureWalter bury the parts? I suppose they were found underground for the same reason dinosaur bones are.)

Enter Peter.

He creates and plants the idea of Peter, a huge emotional pull, to all parties involved. Once Peter's function is fulfilled, his program ends.

Was this really due to William Bell? FutureWalter may have lowered his past self's intelligence to prevent realizing Peter.

+ Do they even exist?

Is Olivia merely a vehicle for cortexiphan? The drug was essential for the machine to run, cortexiphan was equal to a cog within the machine. Thus, essentially, Olivia was a cog in the machine built to save the world.

Thanks for this

Big Papa Husker said:
That has to be the image for the Season 4 OT.

Gonna wait for official pics to come out from it. I am already planning how to tweak what I did for the OP this season to fit for season 4. A more thorough description of spoiler policy for sure.

But until a better title comes along, I am planning the title to be "Fringe Season 4 |OT|: WTF IS GOING ON HERE!?"

ivysaur12

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:
Gonna wait for official pics to come out from it. I am already planning how to tweak what I did for the OP this season to fit for season 4. A more thorough description of spoiler policy for sure.

But until a better title comes along, I am planning the title to be "Fringe Season 4 |OT|: WTF IS GOING ON HERE!?"

Yeah, I like that one. Maybe "WTF IS GOING ON HERE and why aren't you watching?!"

I think I might bow out of TV show thread creations for next season. I'm currently 1 for 4 in getting them renewed (though I made The Cape one because I really just wanted to highlight the Summer Glau fail reel).

rossonero

How did you guys come to the conclusion that Ella is a big character and that maybe she will help with the machine or the manuscripts?

ivysaur12 said:
Yeah, I like that one. Maybe "WTF IS GOING ON HERE and why aren't you watching?!"

I think I might bow out of TV show thread creations for next season. I'm currently 1 for 4 in getting them renewed (though I made The Cape one because I really just wanted to highlight the Summer Glau fail reel).

Fringe will probably be the only one I make next year. And Supernatural if no one else calls it. The Community thread is just a little too over the top for me to stay active in, and I abandoned Glee this year.

RPGamer92

Banned
rossonero said:
How did you guys come to the conclusion that Ella is a big character and that maybe she will help with the machine or the manuscripts?
In the last few minutes before he vanishes, Peter explains to the present day Walters that the future version of himself, Walter, and maybe Ella and Astrid were the first people.

mm04

PSFan said:
In the last few minutes before he vanishes, Peter explains to the present day Walters that the future version of himself, Walter, and maybe Ella and Astrid were the first people.

And the fact that Emily Meade (Ella) was cast as a recurring character. So I doubt that's the last time we see her.

squicken

Fatalah said:

Enter Peter.

+ Do they even exist?

More thoughts:
How many times did Olivia rely on motivation from Peter in order for her abilities to kick in?

Nice post. This is what I was clumsily trying to grasp/question last night.

Sepinwall has posted a review. He also slammed it, with a mention of "what not to do" involving the very end. Seems the critics kind of hated it. I've always got the notion most critics dislike sci-fi, but I know Sepinwall is a genre fan. So his criticism holds a bit more weight for me.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-a...the-day-we-died-back-and-forth-and-back-again

Fringe is always hit and miss with me. Every episode usually has some big problems, often involving Sprint products. So I guess my expectations are never high enough for any single episode to get truly disappointed.

ivysaur12

Banned
Fatalah said:

Enter Peter.

+ Do they even exist?

More thoughts:

Okay. That makes a ton of sense, actually.

squicken said:

Sepinwall has posted a review. He also slammed it, with a mention of "what not to do" involving the very end. Seems the critics kind of hated it. I've always got the notion most critics dislike sci-fi, but I know Sepinwall is a genre fan. So his criticism holds a bit more weight for me.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-a...the-day-we-died-back-and-forth-and-back-again

Fringe is always hit and miss with me. Every episode usually has some big problems, often involving Sprint products. So I guess my expectations are never high enough for any single episode to get truly disappointed.

Product placement is just part of the show at this point. Might as well embrace it, it's what's helping keep the show on the air.

squicken

ivysaur12 said:
Product placement is just part of the show at this point. Might as well embrace it, it's what's helping keep the show on the air.

Of course. I'm not throwing my remote at the TV or anything.

It's a trade-off I'm willing to make to keep the show on TV. But of course the concept of a trade-off is that you have to swallow some amount of shit to get what you want. I was just noting that the show always has issues, including but not limited to the product placement, and how that makes it impossible for me to ever really get upset when they make a mistake, as several of the professional reviewers seem to be.

mm04

Well, it seems that the finale was divisive. Granted, I liked the episode and am a huge fan of the show, so I have bias. But here's at least a positive review from Ken Tucker. Not surprisingly, his thoughts mirrored mine. But maybe we're just fanboys!

Edit: beaten by 1 post!

ivysaur12

Banned
squicken said:
Of course. I'm not throwing my remote at the TV or anything.

It's a trade-off I'm willing to make to keep the show on TV. But of course the concept of a trade-off is that you have to swallow some amount of shit to get what you want. I was just noting that the show always has issues, including but not limited to the product placement, and how that makes it impossible for me to ever really get upset when they make a mistake, as several of the professional reviewers seem to be.

That's fair. Personally, I think that Fringe needs to start making huge game-changers before the last five minutes of an episode. There's a reason the show usually loses viewers at the half hours: the cliff-hangers are never good enough because the show always holds its card close until the very end. Space it out more. It's an hour long endeavor.

EDIT: Also, half hour breakdown:

Flashpoint: 1.1/1.2
Friday Night Lights: 0.7/0.8
Smallville: 0.8/0.8
CSI:NY: 1.5/1.6
Fringe: 1.2/1.1
Supernatural: 0.9/0.99
Blue Bloods: 1.5/1.4

Ugh. I was hoping for 1.3/1.2

Fatalah

squicken said:

Thanks! I forgot to add one critical point -- the purpose of the machine.

The machine doesn't have the ability to repair dimensional tears. The machine's only capacity is to transport the alternate team to our dimension. Next season, we can look forward to watching the opposing characters craft a solution.

ivysaur12

Banned
Fatalah said:
Thanks! I forgot to add one critical point -- the purpose of the machine.

The machine doesn't have the ability to repair dimensional tears. The machine's only capacity is to transport the alternate team to our dimension. Next season, we can look forward to watching the opposing characters craft a solution.

Wait, hold on. The machine was definitely tearing holes in our universe. At least, the other universe's machine was. And the machine was able to show Peter a glimpse of the future (remember, he mentions that he was from the past in the end of The Last Sam Weiss).

Then again, if Peter never existed, what's the point of sending him to the future? Or... ugh, hold on, I need to gather my thoughts about this.

Jarmel

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
That's fair. Personally, I think that Fringe needs to start making huge game-changers before the last five minutes of an episode. There's a reason the show usually loses viewers at the half hours: the cliff-hangers are never good enough because the show always holds its card close until the very end. Space it out more. It's an hour long endeavor.

That pretty much confirms next season is the last. There is no way in hell it's getting a season 5.

CCF23

ivysaur12 said:

People suck :(.

I think next season will have the two Walter's working together to find Peter. Peter will probably end up flashing through time at different moments with the Walter's having to go through time to find him.

Eteric Rice

I personally can't wait to see the two Astrids interact! I bet one will find the other impossible, or our Astrid will try to help the other with her dating life or something. XD

The girl that plays older Ella is cute, too.

ivysaur12

Banned
Teh Hamburglar said:
That was promising that Fox was asking questions. You'd think if they had written them off they'd be like "Whatever. Heres 500 bucks and a handycam. You have 12 episodes."

It's too early to make assumptions based on next season's ratings with what we have now, but Fox would be wise to cut to the order to 16 or 18 and air them all in order before Day Light Savings. Then move another one of their dying shows to Friday afterward.

CCF23

The constant hiatuses and moving of days and time slot absolutely killed any chance Fringe had of staying consistent in the ratings. It seems to have leveled off at "just good enough", but it angers me how FOX has mismanaged a show they apparently believe in because they gave it another season despite the numbers saying it should've been canned. Hopefully for season 4 they can stay consistent. Fewer hiatuses, better advertised. Let people become comfortable with 9:00 on Friday's being "Fringe time". It's a cool enough show that it should be generating better viewership, I just think the network has pretty badly mismanaged it.

ivysaur12

Banned
CCF23 said:
The constant hiatuses and moving of days and time slot absolutely killed any chance Fringe had of staying consistent in the ratings. It seems to have leveled off at "just good enough", but it angers me how FOX has mismanaged a show they apparently believe in because they gave it another season despite the numbers saying it should've been canned. Hopefully for season 4 they can stay consistent. Fewer hiatuses, better advertised. Let people become comfortable with 9:00 on Friday's being "Fringe time". It's a cool enough show that it should be generating better viewership, I just think the network has pretty badly mismanaged it.

Fox's advertising for Fringe have been impeccable. Getting rid of the hiatuses is a huge must, but that almost might require Fringe's order to be slashed a bit. I'm comfortable with that.

According to that interview, Brad Dourif was just aboard for one episode :/

Maybe a younger actor will may Moreau in the present timeline?

big ander

Napoleonthechimp said:
Haha, I figured it was a given.
Jarmel said:
http://www.tvline.com/2011/05/fringe-season-3-finale-review-answers/

^Explanation somewhat by the producers

Also seems to imply that we might be going Back to the Future and getting some answers about stuff like Detroit.
It was short, but here's what I found interesting. Some might consider them spoilers.
If Peter “Never Existed,” Wouldn’t That Mean No Feud Between the Walters, No Machine Activated, No 2026 Doomsday…? In a word, no. “Walter and [William] Bell were always trying to find a way to cross over, even before the Peter [abduction] incident,” Pinkner reminds. “So things may have happened differently.”

Is That It for Big Baddie Moreau? Sadly, yes. Played by Dune‘s Brad Dourif, Moreau and his End of Dayers threat was simply the Case of the Week for Fringe Team ’26.

Have We Also Seen the Last Of Grown-Up Ella (Boardwalk Empire‘s Emily Meade)? Yes, says Wyman — “for the time being
Basically, the Peter never existing thing won't just rework their memories, it's going to be something more and the consequences will be very far-reaching. Awesome.
Glad that Ella has the potential to return, but sad that this is all we'll get of Moreau :/
ivysaur12 said:
There are still a myriad of questions I have about The First People, however. But I'll wait it out for now.
Same, but I'm sure this is nowhere close to the last of them. In fact, this seemed like the event that would really push this plot to the front.
mm04 said:
Ratings at 1.2 last night. I really hope they can tie it all up in those 22 episodes.

Edited to include link.
Ugh. Audiences suck.
leroy hacker said:
Does anyone else think it's cool that the portal between worlds is on Ellis Island? I wonder if they had this in mind when originally choosing where to put the alternate Fringe division's base.
Separately, I'm skeptical of the way time travel is being used here. As far as things stand now, the machine was never invented by anyone, since Walter seems to simply be planning to send back the pieces that he dug up. And the same goes for the manuscripts written in the first people's language and script.
Also, did I miss something or did the fact that Fauxlivia took one piece of the machine from the original to the alternate universe have absolutely no significance? I thought that the first universe's machine would have been missing a piece and there would have been some consequence of that.
Finally, I'm hoping that the next season will have much more about the observers and the two major loose ends from the first season-the beacon and the apparent child observer-will have some real significance.
Yeah, the Ellis Island placement is sweet.
As for time travel, I like seeing the loop that way. For now, the machine arrives because it was sent back and it's sent back because it arrived. Walter will work around that problem or make it happen in season 4, I'm thinking.
mm04 said:
I bet that would make the kid from Inner Child January. Hope he comes back.

ivysaur12 said:
Fox's advertising for Fringe have been impeccable. Getting rid of the hiatuses is a huge must, but that almost might require Fringe's order to be slashed a bit. I'm comfortable with that.
I'd prefer it. This show would be so tight and godly if it was just 18 episodes.

mm04

CCF23 said:

I agree with this for the most part. What's weird is that they have such great online promos and teasers and most of them never see the light of day on TV. You either have to go to FOX.com or Youtube, where the hardcore are more likely to visit and most of us hardcore, are not Nielsen families.

CCF23

I'm not even saying the show should be pulling insane numbers, either, but I feel like it could easily be doing better than the 1.2's it has been pulling in in the latter half of this season. I understand that for the full 23 ep season it's going to be unavoidable, but they took 3 hiatuses in the final 14 episodes of the season. That's ridiculous in terms of wanting to develop any kind of consistent return viewership. Just as someone might've been getting into the show by watching 3 or 4 episodes in a row, they'd tune in on the next Friday at 9 and see a re run and then there would be 2 or 3 weeks with no new episode and the spark of interest would be gone. Or even for a casual viewer that has been following the show, to have it constantly taken away, put back, taken away, put back. It takes effort to actually find out when there's going to be a new episode. I'm sure at a certain point people just get tired of it and a show they'd otherwise probably watch gets left for something that's on every week.

If the show had been handled better I don't doubt they could be pulling in cosnsitent 1.7's or 1.8's which in their timeslot would likely be good enough to warrant consideration for a season 5.

Top Bottom