• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
This... this fucking episode!!!

130249827557.gif

Solo

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
See this is why I don't think the show is anything like Lost, every season where received explanations for what occurred. Hell, it was far more than the X-Files ever did.

Comparing it to LOST, despite the similarities of mindfuckery/"WTF!?" moments, is frankly an insult to Fringe, and I say that as a big LOST fan. The creative team of LOST had no fucking idea where the show was headed and kept pulling crazy shit out of their ass and trying to patch it together. The creative team of Fringe pulls out even crazier shit, but its all meticulously planned and payoffs are constant.

Fringe > LOST

WillyFive

Original reality:

New reality:

The new reality doesn't have to go reconnect with the original one, so you don't need Peter to have ever existed in the new timeline, since he existed before already in a previous timeline.

But I guess I'm still mentally stuck with Back to the Future's time travel, which caused problems for me understanding Lost's time travel. If Fringe's time travel is more like BttF (despite Walter fearing it may not be), then it's not that hard to grasp.

DoctorWho said:
I hate to bring up Doctor Who again but isn't this similar to the Doctor freeing himself by giving Rory the sonic screwdriver? He couldn't have given Rory the screwdriver if he was initially trapped.

Exactly. But the Doctor did it with a fez and a mop.
Fez's are cool

Glad to know my idea for the season 4 thread title was accurate.
Colbert-ICALLEDIT.gif

PhoncipleBone said:
This is probably a more accurate version of what will happen tonight:
SCANNERS-GIF-01.gif
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27651202&postcount=4131
WHOO!

This summer will be fun for the speculation. Glad to see they have gone for the timey wimey on the show.

The great thing is that the universes are not merged, just bridged. Kind of like one is Asgard, the other Midgard, and Liberty Island is the Rainbow Bridge between them. People (Lincoln and Charlie) will cross over now and then to help, so now we will get both universe themed episodes but with different characters.

Seriously awesome finale.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
If there was no Peter that means no baby for Fauxlivia. I was hoping for the jealousy from Olivia about that. I guess not. :(

PhoncipleBone said:
Exactly. But the Doctor did it with a fez and a mop.
Fez's are cool

Glad to know my idea for the season 4 thread title was accurate.
Colbert-ICALLEDIT.gif

WHOO!

This summer will be fun for the speculation. Glad to see they have gone for the timey wimey on the show.

The great thing is that the universes are not merged, just bridged. Kind of like one is Asgard, the other Midgard, and Liberty Island is the Rainbow Bridge between them. People (Lincoln and Charlie) will cross over now and then to help, so now we will get both universe themed episodes but with different characters.

Seriously awesome finale.
That has me really excited.

TripOpt55

I really loved this episode. I remember last week I wondered how they would top that episode's cliffhanger. I guess this is how.

gdt

Solo said:
Comparing it to LOST, despite the similarities of mindfuckery/"WTF!?" moments, is frankly an insult to Fringe, and I say that as a big LOST fan. The creative team of LOST had no fucking idea where the show was headed and kept pulling crazy shit out of their ass and trying to patch it together. The creative team of Fringe pulls out even crazier shit, but its all meticulously planned and payoffs are constant.

Fringe > LOST

Well, now sure. But I've recently been watching some S1 stuff, and alot of threads come up that where clearly wrong and/or never mentioned again. I'll allow it though, I guess, they got their whole plan together by the end of S1/S2.

Basically, they learned from all of Lost's mistakes, which is fitting.

Edit: And I don't know about crazier shit :lol.

Side note, during this ep, I kept thinking of S3 finale flashforward. Just the inner Lost geek I guess.

Solo said:

Fringe > LOST

That's why I never had any interest in LOST and why I have stayed with Fringe. They let us know early on we we're going to get vague shit all the time.

gdt5016 said:
Well, now sure. But I've recently been watching some S1 stuff, and alot of threads come up that where clearly wrong and/or never mentioned again. I'll allow it though, I guess, they got their whole plan together by the end of S1/S2.

Basically, they learned from all of Lost's mistakes, which is fitting.

This is definitely true. Her original boyfriend was implied to be something much bigger than he was.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
gdt5016 said:
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT THE FUCKIN FUCK.

Damn, that was Lost levels of awesome. The whole episode. What the hell happens now? If Peter never existed, how will he work himself back in? Is he just with the Observers now?

No reason to even theorize right now, damn.
I'll admit, I'm utterly theory-less.

Those bastards stumped the hell outta me. Don't even no where to begin, I'm still just taking it all in right now.

MUST RE-WATCH.

There are plenty of dropped threads on Fringe, but unlike Lost the dropped threads are not really directly tying into the central mystery of the show. Fringe is planned out MUCH better than Lost ever was. The producers are pacing out the answers perfectly. They keep enough going to make us want to come back, but they answer enough to make us happy. Things keep getting more fucked up and weird, but only during or after the resolution of previous mindfuckery.

Dany

Banned
Solo said:

Fringe > LOST

I'm only going to say this once in this thread but I think the creative team on Lost knew exactly what they were dealing with. With the end of the show being announced in early season 3 for another three season was a ballsy move on ABC but it did lend the creators to do something no one else has, finish a show properly.

They knew exactly what was going to happen at the instance they brought something up in the show. They did not have clear intentions of answering it, as evident to the 'heart of the island' but the ambiguities of the show is what makes it great, they did tie some knots, answer some questions but still, I'd think they knew what was happening ever since early season 3 and 'course corrected' to make everything make sense, which i believe it did.

Anyways, it was a great finale, glad to know its renewed for season 4 or else this would have been the send fox red liquorice campaign

gdt

PhoncipleBone said:
There are plenty of dropped threads on Fringe, but unlike Lost the dropped threads are not really directly tying into the central mystery of the show. Fringe is planned out MUCH better than Lost ever was. The producers are pacing out the answers perfectly. They keep enough going to make us want to come back, but they answer enough to make us happy. Things keep getting more fucked up and weird, but only during or after the resolution of previous mindfuckery.

I don't think anyone sane would argue that.

Solo

That was a fantastic episode capping off a fucking spectacular season which was easily the best of the series yet, and one of my favorite seasons of television ever. Season was almost perfect. I love how truly and confidently they followed through on the season's arc, and how the puzzle pieces are now arranged for the future. The writers now fully know these characters and the actors now fully encompass them. The chemistry is so great on this show with everyone, but especially beteen Jackson and Noble. Fitting since Peter and Walter's relationship is the heart of the show. Their scene tonight where Peter had finally forgiven Walter was so cathartic and so touching. Its something that has been creeping up for a while with me, but I think now after S3, Fringe has become my favorite show currently airing on television. So fucking awesome, week in and week out. S4 will be even more boss than Peter Bishop.

brucewaynegretzky said:
This is definitely true. Her original boyfriend was implied to be something much bigger than he was.

The Pattern, the ZFT, and the FBI agent from Season 2 are bigger dropped threads. I don't think Olivia's boyfriend was a plothole or anything.

Matt

Dany M said:
I'm only going to say this once in this thread but I think the creative team on Lost knew exactly what they were dealing with. With the end of the show being announced in early season 3 for another three season was a ballsy move on ABC but it did lend the creators to do something no one else has, finish a show properly.

They knew exactly what was going to happen at the instance they brought something up in the show. They did not have clear intentions of answering it, as evident to the 'heart of the island' but the ambiguities of the show is what makes it great, they did tie some knots, answer some questions but still, I'd think they knew what was happening ever since early season 3 and 'course corrected' to make everything make sense, which i believe it did.
No, that's what should have happened, but it didn't. The show was a complete mess at the end.

Solo

John was explained in S1. Nothing dropped there. ZFT is the glaring omission in Fringe.

Basileus777 said:
The Pattern, the ZFT, and the FBI agent from Season 2 are bigger dropped threads. I think don't Olivia's boyfriend was a plothole or anything.

The Pattern was solved. Jessop was a misfire which the creative team wisely realized quickly and canned.

Dany

Banned
Matt said:
No, that's what should have happened, but it didn't. The show was a complete mess at the end.

I feel bad for derailing this but, I disagree. I thought the final season of Lost was really well done, sure it was hyped as 'answers to all of your questions" but whatever. It was great drama, great mysteries and great characters and actors. Not the best of lost but it was still great. I personally loved that finale.

Also, what about the ZFT? It was written by walternate and was used as the guide for the main enemy in Season 1, what else?

WillyFive

TripOpt55 said:
I really loved this episode. I remember last week I wondered how they would top that episode's cliffhanger. I guess this is how.

Season 1's ending is still the best one though. Really iconic and unexpected.

This episode's really big parts were not in the ending, but all the stuff we find out leading up to it.

Solo said:

Fringe > LOST

In that specific aspect, at least (and even then, Lost's terrible time travel logic managed to make sense by the end of the season).

But I would rather not compare Fringe to Lost, because even though the Fringe characters cry, emote, and mourn in a lot more convincing and realistic fashion than in Lost, it didn't make you as attached to what was happening.

For example, when Walter was crying here I was thinking "Why in the world hasn't he won his Emmy for Fringe yet?" instead of "Oh no she's dead! *sobs*" like in Lost. But the music and emotional investment may be responsible for that.

TripOpt55

Man I love this show so much. Seeing everyone in the future was really cool. I mean once Olivia got shot, I knew we'd be out of there at the end of the episode, but it was still cool to see all of that stuff. I did not however have any idea that that ending was coming. So crazy.

Solo

Willy105 said:
But I would rather not compare Fringe to Lost, because even though the Fringe characters cry, emote, and mourn in a lot more convincing and realistic fashion than in Lost, it didn't make you as attached to what was happening.

Speak for yourself. For me, after 3 seasons, Im more invested in Peter and Walter than I was any LOST character, and my Locke fanboyism is the stuff of legend.

The cool thing with this episode is it was NOT a "Five Years Gone" or "Days of Future Past" type episode. It was not a dream. It actually happened in another parallel timeline because Walter had to figure out to send the machine back through that wormhole, and he had to get Peter into the machine somehow to bring his consciousness to the future and know to combine things.

Them going full blown multiverse or multi-timeline is the only logical explanation to it.

gdt

Solo said:
Speak for yourself. For me, after 3 seasons, Im more invested in Peter and Walter than I was any LOST character, and my Locke fanboyism is the stuff of legend.

I love this show so much right now, but I could never say that. Not even close for me. But yeah, Peter and Walter have been developed wonderfully. Walter and Astrid too. And, Olivia really came into her own this season. So much better than the cardboard stand in she used to be.

Solo

I wonder if people would have a more "emotional" attachment if there was a Giacchino score blasting out during all those scenes. Not detracting from LOST, but you have to admit that the music took most of that stuff up a few notches. I mean, picture Walkabout's climax without "Locke'd Out Again".

EDIT: Im not dragging LOST through the mud. I posted more in the S6 threads than anyone else, and Im a huge fan regardless of my issues with S5 and S6. I just happen to feel that Fringe has sidestepped almost every mistake LOST made, and is going to be looked back on as the better show when all is said and done.

Speaking of mindfucks...Broyles lets think of his original character arc and how it changed. Could anyone have EVER called that. I never figured out why they did that, but I'm always grateful they did.

Solo said:

Second only to your Bond fanboyism.

I loved Lost. I truly did. I loved most of the characters on it as well. The sheer amount of fantastic characters was phenomenal. The mystery and the journey to the end was amazing, but the destination itself was a major letdown. They say that getting there is half the fun, but with Lost it was 90% of the fun. The ending was a major disappointment to me. Certain aspects of it I really liked, but there was way too many unresolved things that they still dragged out in the final season and never answered. If it was something dropped in season 2 and never brought back up it would have been one thing, but they kept things dragging until the end and never adequately explained them.

As for Fringe, the only real dangling thread for me is ZFT. Other stuff, such as Peter's mysterious past and people trying to kill him, are not as important. And they also brilliantly got rid of that problem tonight by erasing Peter from existence.

Solo said:
I wonder if people would have a more "emotional" attachment if there was a Giacchino score blasting out during all those scenes. Not detracting from LOST, but you have to admit that the music took most of that stuff up a few notches. I mean, picture Walkabout's climax without "Locke'd Out Again".

EDIT: Im not dragging LOST through the mud. I posted more in the S6 threads than anyone else, and Im a huge fan regardless of my issues with S5 and S6. I just happen to feel that Fringe has sidestepped almost every mistake LOST made, and is going to be looked back on as the better show when all is said and done.

Yup. Well said. (brofist)

Yaweee

I'm going to have to come down on the LOST side of the fence, for now. It had better characters and more consistently enjoyable and satisfying episodes, but at the expense of definitive mythological payoff.

At this point in LOST history, we had just seen "We have to go baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!" This episode was fantastic, but no Through the Looking Glass.

WillyFive

Solo said:

Yeah, but Locke wasn't that interesting. He was right, and was the subject of the best episode ever, but Lost Spoilers:
Locke dying
wasn't anywhere as big a deal to me as Greatest Hits.

Walter is definitely a more interesting character than Locke. I see nothing to care about with Peter, but you obviously do, so that is good.

Yaweee said:
At this point in LOST history, we had just seen "We have to go baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!" This episode was fantastic, but no Through the Looking Glass.

Oh yeah. But I would say Fringe Season 1's ending was better than Season 2 and Season 4's ending combined.

Yaweee said:
I'm going to have to come down on the LOST side of the fence, for now. It had better characters and more consistently enjoyable and satisfying episodes, but at the expense of definitive mythological payoff.

The difference is that at this point in Lost, there were next to no explanations for anything. Just question after question, then they drop that cliffhanger on you.

With Fringe, we have had answers to almost everything presented so far, just to have another HUGE mystery dropped on our lap.

Solo

Yaweee said:
This episode was fantastic, but no Through the Looking Glass.

That is 100% true, but at this point in LOST, there was a subpar S2 and first half of S3. I think its a fair comment to say that after 3 seasons of each show, LOST had higher highs (and much lower lows) while Fringe has been much more consistent. LOST never had a SEASON AND A HALF STRAIGHT run of greatness like Fringe has, but Fringe has yet to have its Walkabout/TTLG/The Constant moment.

Willy105 said:
Yeah, but Locke wasn't that interesting. He was right, and was the subject of the best episode ever, but Lost Spoilers:
Locke dying
wasn't anywhere as big a deal to me as Greatest Hits.

Walter is definitely a more interesting character than Locke. I see nothing to care about with Peter, but you obviously do, so that is good.

Locke's death and subsequently it making Locke ultimately a huge loser in life (aside from being a boss on the island) annoyed me. His death didn't affect me like Charlie's did on that show.

Yaweee

Solo said:
That is 100% true, but at this point in LOST, there was a subpar S2 and first half of S3. I think its a fair comment to say that after 3 seasons of each show, LOST had higher highs (and much lower lows) while Fringe has been much more consistent. LOST never had a SEASON AND A HALF run of greatness like Fringe has.

I don't know, I've found plenty of Fringe episodes to be pretty boring.

As for specific characters, I will agree that no character is as interesting as Walter. However, LOST had so many good characters with full and satisfying six-season arcs. Jack, Locke, Ben... their arcs by the end of the show were all just goddamn amazing.

Top Bottom