• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

liked the finale. did not understand everything, but i guess i am not supposed to.
i wonder if noble is allright, the walter-character had a stroke, but i also thought that walternate looked weird as well in the dialogue with peter

Earl Cazone said:
i wonder if noble is allright, the walter-character had a stroke, but i also thought that walternate looked weird as well in the dialogue with peter
Since both universes are incredibly similar, couldn't it be assumed that they both had strokes? Noble is fine.

Frillen

So I just watched the finale and I'm in WTF state of mind right now. I probably missed lots of things as well. But one question. Why did Walter actually build the machine?

Dany

Banned
Frillen said:
So I just watched the finale and I'm in WTF state of mind right now. I probably missed lots of things as well. But one question. Why did Walter actually build the machine?

Walter did not build the machine. No one built it, it is a paradox. Walter is going to send the machine back through time for him and Massive Dynamics to find.

It's like the compass from Lost

Frillen

Dany M said:
Walter did not build the machine. No one built it, it is a paradox. Walter is going to send the machine back through time for him and Massive Dynamics to find.

Okay, that clears up some it. Thanks.

ivysaur12

Banned
Dany M said:

It sounds like they're actually going to address this. They mentioned as much in the twitter question answering.

Yaweee

Dany M said:

They don't definitively say that, though. LOST had "whatever happened, happened" single timeline. Fringe has alternate dimensions so it could be a temporal loop-de-loop rather than a closed circle.

So do we know where the machine came from? Who came up with this technology? I admit I haen't been paying much attention to the First People as Im trying to pick up on everything.

big ander

Teh Hamburglar said:
So do we know where the machine came from? Who came up with this technology? I admit I haen't been paying much attention to the First People as Im trying to pick up on everything.
We don't know.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
The finale blew my mind, literally.
WTF

I did enjoy the whole season so the wait for the next one is gonna be a very long one :(

Clevinger

So I started watching this and I'm up to episode 11 in the first season and I'm not too into it. Does the show get a lot better as it goes on? Does Olivia ever become interesting?

Angry Fork

Clevinger said:
So I started watching this and I'm up to episode 11 in the first season and I'm not too into it. Does the show get a lot better as it goes on? Does Olivia ever become interesting?
First half of the first season kind of sucks, but it really starts picking up in the 2nd half once they start to keep a main storyline in place. It doesn't match Lost for me (not even close) but the characters definitely get better and the show is good, sometimes great.

big ander

Clevinger said:
Yes and yes. Gets a lot crazier and more compelling overall. As for Liv, the writers have pretty much admitted they made her too bland in the beginning. She get pretty awesome.

ivysaur12

Banned
Clevinger said:

Yes and absolutely. First part of season one takes a really long time to get into, I had the same problem when I started. Don't spoil yourself and march on, it's a wild ride. 1x14 on is quality television, though I'm partial to some of the good MOTWs during season one. It doesn't really ramp up until the later half (I forgot Bad Dreams was season one...).

Mr Pockets said:
Maybe next season they'll expand on the 3rd universe stuff :)

It's not a third universe, just the blue universe when the other universe doesn't exist.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Clevinger said:

kind of.

if you're like me who didn't like her at all in season 1. You can count on any story/world centric episode to make her massively interesting and any of those filler episodes where they solve some crime or some shit to make her just as boring as before (but obviously walter much more interesting to make up for it).

Clevinger said:

Episode 14, Ability is where Fringe steps things up. From there on Season 1 is epic.

Season 2 has another small downturn at the start, but things pick up again

Mid season 2, all the way to the end, and all of season 3 is epic. (Yes, I think Brown Betty is good)

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
ivysaur12 said:
It's not a third universe, just the blue universe when the other universe doesn't exist.
I don't think so...

There are a lot of hints to a third universe (although there could be tons more...but well that is another thing).

Blue & Red we have seen, there are lots of hints of Yellow. If you look at a long of episodes, there are objects and painting with these three colors on them. Like teh painting in Walternates office, dream/vision sequences in "yellow" etc

Fringe website refers to it as well in one of the blogs...I'll see if I can find a link.

Mr Pockets said:
I don't think so...

There are a lot of hints to a third universe (although there could be tons more...but well that is another thing).

Blue & Red we have seen, there are lots of hints of Yellow. If you look at a long of episodes, there are objects and painting with these three colors on them. Like teh painting in Walternates office, dream/vision sequences in "yellow" etc

Fringe website refers to it as well in one of the blogs...I'll see if I can find a link.

A yellow glimmer is what a person with an ability sees if a person/object is currently inhabiting a universe it did not originate in.

Also, doing three universes means doing 6 possible timelines (now that time travel has been implemented into the show). That is a crazy amount, not only in terms of budget, but also for the audience to keep up with. It also devalues the current characters by creating yet another version of them.

Epcott

Hmmp, Fox needs to keep the show at a consistent time slot next year (and hopefully move it from Friday, I'm still griping about that, yup).

Episode was a real mind fuck at the end. I didn't expect Walternate to do that to Olivia, and sure didn't expect the ending when Peter merged the worlds and when Peter vanished. I can only guess that Peter will eventually stop Walter from stealing him in the past, leading to the reason he never exists. Either that or by some foolishness he becomes an Observer (or... could he Be the observer??? MNightshamalama.pic).

Ugh @ Lost comparisons... I love Lost, I just don't have the energy to post my favorite episodes as I've let it go (aside from wearing my Dharma shirt every now and then). But the last season really killed it for me. While I consider it one of my favorite all time shows (above Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, below Spartacus), the last episode alone retroactively takes the series as a whole down a few notches similar to the classic "Back to the Future" gif with Doc explaining the Spiderman movie series and how the third movie makes the whole series bad.

And I can't really blame the final episode too much, as Lost's entire final season felt "off", in which by that time the producers had the "Oh my shits!" Lost "mindfuck" moments down to a science: a big moment right before each commercial break, and in the last 5 minutes of every episode we get the "kabooooom", with the substance in between being damn near filler material. Hell, the Other's camp episodes and the whole "poisoned water" thing still makes me woozy.

I don't get that from Fringe... I get these nice little contained stories that meld into one cohesive well thought out plot (similar to GITS: SAC in structure), and a story that glides along smoothly into different themes (I'm amazed how we got here from ZFT, to Newton, to Walternate). I can watch an episode and feel engrossed or entertained, start to finish, have questions vital to the overall plot come up (and actually be answered!) and by episode's end there's a shock, but it's not what defines the entire episode, unlike many Lost episodes. Anyways, that's all I have to say on the Lost/Fringe matter. It serves as too much of a derail.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I just remember seeing something about a 3rd universe in a blog (which of course I can't find) so started looking for hints. I see that we have "blue" theme stuff for the normal world (or main if you prefer), and "red" for Walternate's world. There are lots of "yellow" things that don't quite fit all the time though so it makes you think.

And the painting I referred to is a blue box with a yellow and red on either side which is just interesting. Plus wasn't there an episode where Peter is just not right? he is a different Peter (meaner) ...possibly from Yellow ;P.

Well after doing some Google searches, I see I am not the only one going on about a "Yellow" Universe lol.

So I'll just leave it at that and just wait for the next season.

Epcott

Well in an old interview during the start of season 2, when asked about other universes, they never denounced the existence of a 3rd (or 4th or 5th...). They just said they would be focusing on those two. I guess there's always the possibility of a yellow.

I wonder, will season 4 be the last?

Dexa said:
great season finale :)

2 things remain:
when is s4 due?
and what do i watch in the meantime? ;(

Show should return in either late September or early October.

As for what to watch, my wife and I usually use summer to marathon shows we have not seen before or to rewatch entire series.

Last summer we did the entirety of Stargate SG-1 and the entire run of Farscape. Right now I am going through Veronica Mars and we are rewatching the entire run of Supernatural.

As others have said, watching Doctor Who could be a lot of fun if you have not seen that yet.

PhoncipleBone said:
Show should return in either late September or early October.

As for what to watch, my wife and I usually use summer to marathon shows we have not seen before or to rewatch entire series.

Last summer we did the entirety of Stargate SG-1 and the entire run of Farscape. Right now I am going through Veronica Mars and we are rewatching the entire run of Supernatural.

As others have said, watching Doctor Who could be a lot of fun if you have not seen that yet.

Are you into Eureka or Warehouse 13? Those are both summer shows that I love. Summer for me is Warehouse, Sanctuary, and Eureka. Sometimes Leverage too.

brucewaynegretzky said:
Are you into Eureka or Warehouse 13? Those are both summer shows that I love. Summer for me is Warehouse, Sanctuary, and Eureka. Sometimes Leverage too.

We missed season 4.0 of Eureka, and will be grabbing it when the DVD hits in a few weeks. Been watching it since it started.

Warehouse 13 we tried getting into, but I simply cannot stand the lead actress in it. Nice concept, just not thrilled with the show itself.

We also watch Being Human, both the BBC and SyFy versions. The SyFy one was actually quite well done. It used the same stories from the BBC, but became its own thing as it went on.

squicken said:
Joshua Jackson doesn't seem to be a fan of the love triangle thing, though that could be b/c the alt universe episodes are the ones where he never shows up.

Torv and Jackson both talked about how they didn't want Olivia and Peter to hook up on the show. I will say that they handled it wonderfully though. As for the triangle, it is over and done with now, so there is that.

Top Bottom