• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Dust |OT| Eric Chahi is the new Molyneux

Question: they may have said but I forgot. Sometimes there are areas, particularly I notice around villages, that aren't sand, rock, or vegetation. They're almost burned or scorched looking, not black but like dark brown and green patches. What is this and how can I get rid of it? Thanks.

Miggytronz

Neuromancer said:
Question: they may have said but I forgot. Sometimes there are areas, particularly I notice around villages, that aren't sand, rock, or vegetation. They're almost burned or scorched looking, not black but like dark brown and green patches. What is this and how can I get rid of it? Thanks.
thats land im assuming the animals killed off, more like desert. add fresh land to it.

PjotrStroganov said:
PC version can be pre-ordered from steam now. It comes with a free version of mask of the shaman in TF2.
That's cool. By the way, here's a picture of the Xbox avatar mask that unlocks as soon as you play the full version, if anyone hasn't seen it yet:

Mindlog

Beat the campaign. I'll be revisiting the last level a few times.

Really happy with the game.

Really impressed that I have passed some of the challenge levels I have. For any complaints people have with the controls some of the challenge maps require extremely precise and fast terrain crafting.

Sn4ke_911 said:
He could save himself a lot of grief if he moved his village totems:p That is one of my favorite levels. The scene transition after you capture the final totem is fantastic.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
This would probably be my favorite arcade game ever if the pathfinding AI was better. On the level I'm on now I literally had all the towns and made a path to the exit, that they WOULDN'T go to. It was getting flooded constantly so I made a giant wall out of lava surrounding it, and the villagers actually walked over it and tried to get down it, I made another path to it only a couple took. Then somehow my villages got destroyed because they took way too long, which I'm still not sure how that happened because I had repel water and fire on them. It is infuriating when you see the line they take go up a steep cliff when you have another path, which is a shame because otherwise everything else about this game is incredible.

Loam

From Dust's Steam page has it listed with "3rd-party DRM: Ubisoft Online Service". That's the one that requires you to be always connected to the web correct?

Sora

Wren said:
From Dust's Steam page has it listed with "3rd-party DRM: Ubisoft Online Service". That's the one that requires you to be always connected to the web correct?

Yup, you got it right.

Did you guys pre-ordered it on Steam?

Sora

Nabs said:
That's not the always-on DRM.

As there was no description about the DRM on Steam I thought it was the always connected one hehe.

It seems that the DRM-type is yet unknown, according to rockpapershotgun.

x3sphere

Wow, did anyone see the recommend specs on Steam?

Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.66 Ghz or AMD Phenom II X4 3.00 Ghz
Memory: 3 GB DDR3
Graphics: 512 MB / GeForce 9 or ATI Radeon HD 4000 series
DirectX®: 9.0c
Hard Drive: 4 GB
Sound: DirectX 9.0 –compliant sound card

Never seen an i7 920 recommended before, looks like this is the first game that will stress my processor other than GTA IV...

Salsa

PC requirements are bullshit 90% of the time

gonna be a bit heavy beacuse of the weather and fluid simulations, but it shouldnt be too bad.

Veritas_

Pre-ordered. Can't wait.

Here's the mask in TF2. Unfortunately it's Demo only, which sucks because I use the Samur-Eye (hat from Shogun 2).

w5qgc.png

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The three island, incoming tide level was fantastic. This game is perfect for long, relaxed sessions. If you're in a hurry, I could see thing thing being frustrating, but slowly reforming the land to ultimately achieve goals in the long term is super-enjoyable.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
wow @ the quicksand challenge. someone put it on youtube it, its EPIC

EDIT: 6:55 in. dat simulation :O
warning, spoilers

I love this game. There is just something so relaxing about directing lava/water.... Lovely, with a cup of tea. It would be fantastic if they could develop a fleshed out version as I miss this type of game, especially being console based at the moment.

I love the subtle music too. I couldn't help but think of this song whilst playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJhVM930YXY

I am enjoying From Dust -

It's very different than a lot of other games for Xbox - though there have been some frustrating moments along the way

Almak

elektrixx said:
Is it possible to beat that last level?
Last level of the campaign? Sure.
Make a mountain, put a totem on it, than plop the portal right next to that totem to maximize the speed at which the guys populate it.

Just beat the game over the weekend. A bit short but totally worth the 1200 msp pricepoint imo. Loved how the last level
allows you to essentially create your own land from scratch and destroy it however you please.

ultron87

I love it when you go away from a village for a couple minutes and then come back to them repelling their hearts out at this gigantic wall of lava that seemingly came out of nowhere.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
ultron87 said:
I love it when you go away from a village for a couple minutes and then come back to them repelling their hearts out at this gigantic wall of lava that seemingly came out of nowhere.

On one level this happened, and water started streaming over there as well. I avoided them for awhile and later saw the water dried all of the lava and the town was literally encased in a giant crater.

This game is so damn great.

Phreaker

Rez said:
The three island, incoming tide level was fantastic. This game is perfect for long, relaxed sessions. If you're in a hurry, I could see thing thing being frustrating, but slowly reforming the land to ultimately achieve goals in the long term is super-enjoyable.

Totally agree. I was just listening to Weekend Confirmed and I feel Jeff got it so wrong. I was never frustrated by the campaign and I hate timed levels in games. I spent a long time doing each of the last few levels, but I was never frustrated by knowing how long it would be before the next tsunami or volcano eruption, etc. Plus what he "really wants" he will get if he
finishes the game.

FerranMG

I'm absolutely loving this game too.
Sure there are some frustrating moments, like when I can't place the camera where I'd like to (I always play with the zoomed out camera, and I wonder why can't I move perspective...), or like when some dumb villager finds himself surrounded by lava because he couldn't find a better way.

But controlling the elements is so damn satisfying!
Once I've opened the door to finish the level, I usually spend a while messing around with everything.
- The other day I built a mountain in the middle of the sea with Infinite Sand.
- I put so much sand and water on top of a volcano, that it took a while until in the end the lava found an exit.
- I built an enormous wall with lava so I could change completely the path of a river (of water, and another one of lava).
- I tried to build a wall with sand at the limits of the scene, so no sea water could come in, but it was destroyed after a while.

Very much awesome. :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished it. Two things:

- the trees never felt natural, I didn't like them at all
- I wish there was more

I had so much fun. I can't believe how little content there is, though. It felt like things were just starting to get interesting and then it was over.

The last 'real' level was fantastic. Choosing which areas to rush to, and narrowly getting the lava repellent in time was hilariously thrilling, for a game like this.

I guess I "want DLC", but what I really want is more game for the money I already spent

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Rez said:
Just finished it. Two things:

- the trees never felt natural, I didn't like them at all
- I wish there was more

I had so much fun. I can't believe how little content there is, though. It felt like things were just starting to get interesting and then it was over.

The last 'real' level was fantastic. Choosing which areas to rush to, and narrowly getting the lava repellent in time was hilariously thrilling, for a game like this.

I guess I "want DLC", but what I really want is more game for the money I already spent

have you fired up the challenges yet? they are short, but fun, and there are lots of them. many are surprisingly clever

Almak

Sat down yesterday and finished all the challenges. The Descent took me a solid couple of hours. It seems perfectly designed to be completed just a step short of complete failure.
Saw the guy carrying repel water just make it to the last totem a split second before the tsunami completely engulfed it.

Lima said:
The last challenge is a complete bitch. I FUCKING hate it. That is all.

Have a look here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZEG73tuJMk

Start at 4:07.
It is doable, but you have to be very fast and precise. Also a modicum of luck is required (the AI pathfinding screwed me more than once here).

ultron87

Tsunami bearing down on unclaimed idol. My dudes run up and claim it to give me the infinite earth power. I instantly use it to erect a giant tsunami proof wall and save the village.

Fucking awesome.

Haunted

From the RPS writeup:
So it’s not the grand god-game I thought it was from the trailer, it’s not the Populous sequel we’ve waited so long for and it’s certainly not another Another World – at least, not yet. I hear tantalising talk the last level finally opens up its sandbox veins fully, which is something I shall absolutely persevere for. It is often, however, a pleasant waking dream of a game, and one that rewards the careful observer, thoughtful designer and measured experimenter far more than it does the wannabe old testament deity. It is much smaller in scope and less dramatic than perhaps I’d hoped, but from what I’ve seen it is a game whose existence I entirely welcome and from which I expect to derive far more than my so far rather superficial experiments have yielded.
Looks like I'll have to dial down my expectations a good notch.

Maybe they can incorprate this tech into a big scale project in the future.

I don't know what RPS was expecting. Every preview I read pretty much outlined the mechanics of the game.

Anyway beat it last night, what an amazing game. Even with the AI pathfinding niggles, and not having 100% control over camera zoom, I had a great time with it. I even found the story and ending strangely touching, despite the lack of a whole lot of exposition.

As for the last level/sandbox mode, it is a lot of fun but my god what I wouldn't give for the ability to save and share levels.

Also I will buy literally any DLC they make for this game. I need more, damn it!

Game is doing fairly well for Ubisoft apparently. From my email this morning:

Ubisoft press said:
Hello –

Today, Ubisoft is pleased to share with you that From Dust™ on Xbox LIVE® Arcade for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft has broken record digital sales for Ubisoft after launching worldwide on July 27, 2011. The game had the highest first day sales of any Xbox LIVE Arcade game that Ubisoft has ever released with sales approximately 45 percent higher than Ubisoft’s previous best-selling XBLA release. The pre-orders for From Dust on Windows PC are also tracking very well with a significant number of orders on UbiShop and via other digital channels. From Dust on Windows PC is slated to release on August 17, 2011 and From Dust on the PlayStation Network will be available soon.

Hubba hubba @ those renders.

What I wouldn't give for infinite time and money. I just can't justify adding another mountain to my backlog at this point as I know I'd end up spending 2 weeks on this alone.

ultron87

The volcano level is so good.

Is there any way to get your totems Repel Water/Fire in the sandbox level? I keep "accidentally" tsunaming them.

ultron87 said:
The volcano level is so good.

Is there any way to get your totems Repel Water/Fire in the sandbox level? I keep "accidentally" tsunaming them.
Somehow my villages got the two kites automatically at a certain point.

Ubisoft: From Dust PC will not require constant internet connection

You can expect Ubisoft's PC DRM scheme to remain in the news for as long as it requires a consistent online connection to play, and for as long as its implementation remains inconsistent. The upcoming PC version of Driver: San Francisco will require an importunate online link if you want to keep going, but world-shaper From Dust will not.

Speaking to Joystiq, a Ubisoft representative confirmed that the PC version of From Dust, which should be out on August 17, won't have the DRM cranked to maximum level. "Constant internet connection won't be necessary when playing From Dust's campaign and challenge mode on the PC."

You'll note the specific language there, which may refer to a potential multiplayer mode that was mentioned by From Dust designer Eric Chahi last year. For now, though, we're happy to report that you can keep playing god, even if your connection to our modern deity has faltered.
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/04/ubisoft-from-dust-pc-will-not-require-constant-internet-connect/

see5harp

I am actually finding this game to be pretty fantastic. Once you realize that most of the later levels are almost puzzles it becomes a lot more satisfying. If you are doing it the "right" way I don't suppose the achievement for 5 or less deaths is very hard. I replayed Raging Earth like 3 times until I started thinking critically and figuring out the pathways. This game is going to look so great in high resolution on PC.

see5harp

One of the coolest things I've done (randomly) is turn a tsunami tidal wave into jello to give the repel water guys enough time to get there, then switch quickly to absorb a section of the wave in the town's path. The rest of the wave will continue moving but if you take enough water out your town will survive.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Heh, of you jellify right as the wave first starts you can stop the wave entirely.

Mindlog

Is Sacrifice everyone's favorite challenge map or just mine -_-

That map is going to lose something when completed in 20 seconds on PC.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished all the challenges. Other than the last one and the one called "Nitro", I -- much like the real game -- enjoyed myself way more than I thought I would.

There's something about the action/reaction loop in this game that just does it for me. I'd really, really love to see this concept expanded upon more.

Top Bottom