• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frozen Synapse |OT| The Thinking Man's Shooter

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
InfectedZero said:
Toma are we going to wait for all the quarter finalists to finish before we move on to round two?

Nope. You are free to start your matches of round two as written in the Tourney post.
I was waiting for everyone to finish to post the next round again, though. But go ahead :)

Toma said:
most of us play on UK2. You arent, right? :( Couldnt add you a minute ago.

Ah I'm on UK1, will swap to UK2. I think its pretty crappy that your server choice stops you playing those on others :(

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Meatpuppet said:
Ah I'm on UK1, will swap to UK2. I think its pretty crappy that your server choice stops you playing those on others :(

Well, consider the other option where everyone can join and play with each other but you can only reach them 30 minutes a day because they are hopelessly overloaded. I am actually glad we have all those servers because the game started out with only one a few days ago.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Just got this game the other day. Playing through the campaign missions now.

Is it just me, or is this game very difficult? I failed the very first mission several times, and even though I'm starting to get an idea of what to do, I can still easily lose multiple units in a turn if I'm not careful or if I guessed something wrong.

Pretty cool so far, though.

Toma

Akuun said:
Just got this game the other day. Playing through the campaign missions now.

Is it just me, or is this game very difficult? I failed the very first mission several times, and even though I'm starting to get an idea of what to do, I can still easily lose multiple units in a turn if I'm not careful or if I guessed something wrong.

Pretty cool so far, though.

Once you get the hang of it, it will get way easier in single player. Multiplayer is always challenging though and definitely the best part of the game.

But everyone struggles in the beginning, you need to accustom to the basics of searching good positions by every means you can think of and then having the patience to defend this place.

Unicorn said:
Hmm. Youtube uploads not working for anyone else?

I just tried myself and it worked flawlessly for me. I had some problems earlier this morning, but a pc restart sorted that out for me.

Awesome, got gifted the game via a friend that wasn't even aware of that aspect ahead of time! No time to play now though, will jump in later and still buy the OST direct somewhere down the line.

Gonna follow this game's continued development like a hawk, maybe try to jump in modding wise....

Sectus

One thing I'd love to see added to the game are grenades (ie, grenades you throw, not the grenade launcher). Maybe each machine gun guy could have 1 grenade each, it doesn't need to be lethal either, just a flash grenade would do. I think that would be a great way to advance on machine gun guys camping.

Camping is my only complaint about the game right now. It's very effective tactic if there's no grenade launcher or rocket guys, but it's such a dull one.

n0b

Unicorn said:
n0b won game 2 and 3.

Some nail-biting for the planning phases, for sure.

Definitely. I was prepared to admit defeat on the first turn, but then I ended up getting two kills out of it.

Wow, that Gauntlet level has been hard. The "friendly NPC" killing my own people with rockets didn't help too much.

Game crashed when I tried to upload the video to youtube :(

Toma

Aaaand server down. Damn, NIN and me were just having an awesome match.

Well, i feel confident enough to play others on here now. My in-game handle is the same as my GAF name. I take it most play on the UK2 server? Please add me, challenge, or whatever if you find me online.

Toma

MrCompletely said:
Well, i feel confident enough to play others on here now. My in-game handle is the same as my GAF name. I take it most play on the UK2 server? Please add me, challenge, or whatever if you find me online.

Added. I need to sleep but feel free to start a match witch me. I'll join tomorrow.

(and yes UK2 was correct)

Moobabe and chicken_ramen are still missing one match right? Not that I missed it.

rockchalk

Neo Member
Hey, I have an extra copy of Frozen Synapse(not the soundtrack one) that I want to trade for a copy of Cities XL on steam.

Add me on Steam or pm me here, I also posted this in the buy/sell/trade thread, but just in case people don't check that.

Just got this game, and it's amazing so far. The satisfaction of pulling off a smooth turn is fantastic. The procedural levels are really cool too; even failing a level repeatedly is still pretty interesting since you don't have to deal with the same level design every time.

How does the campaign scoring work? I just had (what I thought was) a near-perfect run on the third level and it gave me a score of 1.

My game ID is rohlfinator, though I don't think I'll be diving into multiplayer until I feel a bit more confident with the campaign.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
rohlfinator said:
How does the campaign scoring work? I just had (what I thought was) a near-perfect run on the third level and it gave me a score of 1.

Yea this I haven't figured out yet. I had a level where I eliminated every enemy without taking casualties and got like a 5 score and another where I got butchered but squeaked out a win with my last dude in 10 turns and got like a 94.

Maybe lower is better.

rohlfinator said:
Just got this game, and it's amazing so far. The satisfaction of pulling off a smooth turn is fantastic. The procedural levels are really cool too; even failing a level repeatedly is still pretty interesting since you don't have to deal with the same level design every time.

My game ID is rohlfinator, though I don't think I'll be diving into multiplayer until I feel a bit more confident with the campaign.

I got 5 levels into the campaign, tried MP, and haven't looked back. I just love this type of game, the turn based pace works so well for my lifestyle, not being pressured by time to sit at the PC for hours on end.

I've only played two nights, but Im getting some nice victories. ID = MrCompletely

MrCompletely, by name and nature, never does anything by halves! An utter defeat at his hands with no losses on his side.

Sir, I tip my hat to you.

Well, I clearly had a much stronger position. It was a fun game, I look forward to many more!

youtube fail, it was unable to encode. I'll try again tomorrow.

Sinatar said:
Maybe lower is better.
That's what I was thinking... but I've had others where I thought I did pretty well and got mid-80s. And the one I bombed gave me a 16 or something.

I'm starting to wonder if it's factoring in time, and I just sat idle for a while in some of those games.

Toma

rohlfinator said:
That's what I was thinking... but I've had others where I thought I did pretty well and got mid-80s. And the one I bombed gave me a 16 or something.

I'm starting to wonder if it's factoring in time, and I just sat idle for a while in some of those games.
At least in mp time is definitely a factor. If you win last turn you get 10 Points, while winning earlier nets you more points.

Yeah i have no idea how the scoring system works. I seem to get just as many points for my losses as i get for my wins.. If i win by having more guys left after turn 8 i always get 10 points though. But getting my last guy killed in the last round actually gives me more points, even though i lost.. Seems pretty bugged.

Does anyone know if active games ever get cancelled? I have like 15 active games since day one that will most likely never be finished..

Sectus

rohlfinator said:
As far as I know, it's all about time. The faster you complete a mission, the higher the score.

Toma

pappakenoo said:
Yeah i have no idea how the scoring system works. I seem to get just as many points for my losses as i get for my wins.. If i win by having more guys left after turn 8 i always get 10 points though. But getting my last guy killed in the last round actually gives me more points, even though i lost.. Seems pretty bugged.

Does anyone know if active games ever get cancelled? I have like 15 active games since day one that will most likely never be finished..
The Points you can see behind the matches are not your points, but the points the player gets who started the game(the first one mentioned in the match description)

And I believe they'll get cancelled after 2 weeks.

Morphis

Does anyone recognize this?

I log in, check if I have any games requiring turns. I have one game that does. So I go there, only to see that it was just as I left it, still waiting for the opponent to prime his turn. Though, it appears as if I haven't committed my turn yet, as I can still select 'prime'. When I do this however, whether I've changed any of my orders or not, the game gives an error saying I can't give out any more orders. Which makes sense since I already primed them in an earlier session.

Doing this removes this game from my 'Needs turn' list, untill I login again. Then it's the same all over again.

Edit: to clarify, I do love the game, only I'm puzzled by the above events.

Morphis said:
Does anyone recognize this?

I log in, check if I have any games requiring turns. I have one game that does. So I go there, only to see that it was just as I left it, still waiting for the opponent to prime his turn. Though, it appears as if I haven't committed my turn yet, as I can still select 'prime'. When I do this however, whether I've changed any of my orders or not, the game gives an error saying I can't give out any more orders. Which makes sense since I already primed them in an earlier session.

Doing this removes this game from my 'Needs turn' list, untill I login again. Then it's the same all over again.

Edit: to clarify, I do love the game, only I'm puzzled by the above events.

It sounds to me that it's an issue arising from the server sharding. The worst thing that'll happen is you might have to forget that game (set it to "hide") and start over.

Also, from today or tomorrow, our stats will carry over between the servers. Good stuff!

Wow, the starting positions can get extremely unfair sometimes. I'd say i had about 10% chance to win my last game against an evenly skilled opponent. I had a maze in my corner that took over 2 full turns to get out of. He just took positions with his two mg's covering pretty much all angels and starting bombarding me with rockets and grenades. I could not shoot a rocket that would hit his starting position for the first 2 turns.

Oh well, the game is fantastic 99% of the time so i'll forgive the random generator for fcking up sometimes.

So, 95% of my games have been Dark Extermination. I played a game of 'Dark Secure' and some other mode I can't remember; they seemed interesting, but one game isn't enough to get a real flavor. Has anyone here spent time with the other modes?

Sectus

pappakenoo said:
Wow, the starting positions can get extremely unfair sometimes. I'd say i had about 10% chance to win my last game against an evenly skilled opponent. I had a maze in my corner that took over 2 full turns to get out of. He just took positions with his two mg's covering pretty much all angels and starting bombarding me with rockets and grenades. I could not shoot a rocket that would hit his starting position for the first 2 turns.

Oh well, the game is fantastic 99% of the time so i'll forgive the random generator for fcking up sometimes.
According to the developer blog, the game will change the scoring if the map is imbalanced. It'll check all previous games played on the same map, and if your side kept losing, then your opponent will gain less point and you lose less points if he wins. You'll still get a loss, but at least the score loss shouldn't be high.

Jintor said:
If we're making suggestions, I'd love to see someone layer an XCom metagame over the top of this... :p
Yeah, that would be great. I'd love to see this game become open source so mods like that would be possible to make, but it looks like only small mods will be possible to make.

I dunno, I think it's great fun and really helps your overall game when placed in a tight situation. Really emphasises environment and vector awareness, as much as it does the use of continuing on sight and stance.

Toma said:
At least in mp time is definitely a factor. If you win last turn you get 10 Points, while winning earlier nets you more points.

In Extermination the point system is:
+10 if you kill an enemy
-10 if one of your soldiers is killed
+20 if you kill all the enemies before the end of the last turn

If the last turn ends and you have a soldier more than your foe, you win with a 10 points score. If you have 2 soldiers more, it's 20 points. And so on.
Since you start with 3 or 4 soldiers, max score for an Extermination match is 60.

@pappakenoo
look at your match history: if your name is the first one (e.g. pappakenoo vs. J.Doe) the score is positive if you win and negative if you lose. If your name is the second one (e.g. J.Doe vs. pappakenoo), the score is negative if you win and positive if you lose.

Jintor said:
Oh, so other game modes are worth more points? I swear I've seen a 150 pointer or so...

I rarely play them, so I never checked the point system, but probably is something like this: base points for winning and killing remain the same, but in charge you get more points if you set your goal farther, in secure it's the number of boxes you, well, secure, in hostage the number of hostages you free...

Jintor

Yeah, I got almost all the keys in one Secure match, so that was a big windfall. Man, it really sucks how everyone just plays Extermination, but it's ont like you can't just challenge randoms to Secure or Charge or whatever.

Morphis

Pylon_Trooper said:
It sounds to me that it's an issue arising from the server sharding. The worst thing that'll happen is you might have to forget that game (set it to "hide") and start over.

Also, from today or tomorrow, our stats will carry over between the servers. Good stuff!

Yeah, I thought it would probably be caused by that. It was just a bit dissapointing, seeing 'new turn' and then not getting to play :) But, enough potential games still. Good news about the stats carrying over btw.

Got my game vs Pylon up on Youtube. I had a better position, and dug in to his more aggressive rush. After i killed the first three dudes, I thought the MG was going to flank around bottom, but luckily still had a shotgunner up top. Had no idea what to do with the grenadier but randomly fire to blind spots.

http://youtu.be/HMoQzs52Nlk

Top Bottom