• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frozen Synapse |OT| The Thinking Man's Shooter

TxdoHawk

30% off finally pushed me to pre-order this. Wish I had bought it sooner, it's so deliriously good.

I love how the game encourages you to play at your own pace...and you never find yourself particularly aggravated if the other player is taking too long, because you can just pop open another game while you wait. Or, you can close the client and do something else...and they'll email you when the other player takes their turn.

I had no idea until after I bought this that a Mac client exists too. Truly a pleasant surprise. I do wish the devs would put in an option to bounce the dock icon for alerts though, especially turn update notifications.

TxdoHawk said:
30% off finally pushed me to pre-order this. Wish I had bought it sooner, it's so deliriously good.

I love how the game encourages you to play at your own pace...and you never find yourself particularly aggravated if the other player is taking too long, because you can just pop open another game while you wait. Or, you can close the client and do something else...and they'll email you when the other player takes their turn.

I had no idea until after I bought this that a Mac client exists too. Truly a pleasant surprise. I do wish the devs would put in an option to bounce the dock icon for alerts though, especially turn update notifications.

There's talk of taskbar notifications, but don't feel afraid to ask the devs directly. Good fellows and always willing to interact with their fans.

Terrific game, though, I agree.

Flunkie

Banned
Bought my copy a long way bak, still haven't played it! No time! Will definitely look into downloading the latest release and hitting you guys up.

I put the question to Paul in regards to Steam, with the reply of:

Thursday 26th May - i.e.....Thursday. if you buy direct from us, you can activate on Steam for free. And yep, it'll be available on Steam on the same date.

There you go, folks. We'll have to get a GAF league going. Lots of chin-stroking combat.

It WILL be a double pack at release; not confirming final price yet but likely to be almost exactly the same.

Hope that helps. For the initial release period, I'm sure a few GAFers could pony-up to split the cost of a double-pack.

Huh? Only selling it in double packs is a bold move. If anyone, preferably an American, needs someone to split a pack with I'm willing to pay you through PayPal. Send me a PM.

Thanks for answering my questions Pylon.

My pleasure, sir. Now for some new, or perhaps reaffirming updates.

Paul Taylor said:
Frozen Synapse will be available direct from www.frozensynapse.com AND from all of our other distribution partners this Thursday

If you're a hardcore strategy fan, you will have heard of Matrix Games - FS will be available via their store

Our other distribution partners are currently: Steam, GamersGate, Desura, GetGames and Impulse. All should release on Thursday as well.

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
Primate_Ryan is my nick in-game.

I prefer dark elimination (haven't played many of the other modes). Feel free to challenge me, but don't expect me to respond immediately or even within a couple of days. Sometimes I just don't feel like playing. That shouldn't be a problem though, considering the nature of the game.

Looking forward to some balance changes as well so that I can hopefully finish that elevator mission and continue the singeplayer, which I was enjoying quite a bit before hitting that point in the game.

dLMN8R

Any chance the friends list in the final game will use Steam friends? Or is that not possible since the game can be purchased a number of places, and isn't tied to Steamworks?

If the latter, what would be nice is if it could at least scan my Steam friends list for people who own the game and add them to my Frozen Synapse friends list.

I bought this some time last year and kind of forgot about after a while (I wasn't particularly good). Can't wait to play the finished version.

It's live on Steam (or at least the servers finally allowed me to download it). I'm past the tutorial and so far I'm liking it a lot.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
XiaNaphryz said:
For those of us who ordered pre-Steam, any word on when we'll be getting Steam codes?

just register the license key you got with your pre-order on steam

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The_Super_Inframan said:
just register the license key you got with your pre-order on steam
I meant if we ordered before it was possible to pre-order on Steam and got it direct from the dev - or are you saying our current licenses will work on Steam for that?

The_Super_Inframan

yep, i pre-ordered last month on the dev website and tried to register the license key on steam...it worked :)

edit: the game isn't even listed on steam yet

XiaNaphryz said:
I meant if we ordered before it was possible to pre-order on Steam and got it direct from the dev - or are you saying our current licenses will work on Steam for that?

The license key you get from them should work with Steam.

The_Super_Inframan

you must activate the gift copy in game, the e-mail address you enter will get sent another key

I didn't know this was ever coming to Steam! Awesome news just got it. Super excited to play it again now that it is more or less complete.

Ultrabum

Yeah, I bought this a long time ago and played some, its really fun!

I just downloaded it off of steam with the product code I had them E-mail me from forever ago, but the game crashes every time I log onto the server. In offline mode, I can make 1 or 2 planned moves... and then it crashes.

I have windows 7 sandy bridge 2500K, 6850.... Dunno what the problem is ><

Ultrabum said:
Yeah, I bought this a long time ago and played some, its really fun!

I just downloaded it off of steam with the product code I had them E-mail me from forever ago, but the game crashes every time I log onto the server. In offline mode, I can make 1 or 2 planned moves... and then it crashes.

I have windows 7 sandy bridge 2500K, 6850.... Dunno what the problem is ><

Shoot Mode7 an email with this issue.

Thanks to Stumpokapow for the title change! Welcome, dear friends, to the OFFICIAL THREAD.

Ultrabum

Ok, well I think I figured it out. Apparently it was happening whenever I scrolled out of the window. I now have it full screened, and this is no longer an issue :D.

Do also note that if you preordered the version with the audio-pack, you get the FS OST as soon as the game releases.

Which is, scientifically speaking, goddamn awesome. The soundtrack is phenomenal.

Daigoro

wow. missed this thread entirely.

this looks like it could be really cool. i love the fact that its turn based and correspondence based. thats fantastic.

im intrigued.

Pylon_Trooper said:
Let me know if any of you other guys want your name added to the OP for multiplayer shenanigans.
archnemesis / archnemesis

I probably won't play much online until I'm done with the campaign.

Moobabe

Ok, I couldn't wait any longer. I caved and bought the pack.

Edit

Also - I didn't but the soundtrack and now I wish I had. Is there anywhere else I can pick it up?

Is anyone else experiencing freezing issues? I'm enjoying the game, but I have to restart it every 15 minutes or so.

Edit: I'm also getting this message every now and then.

BVAgM.png

Moobabe

archnemesis said:
Is anyone else experiencing freezing issues? I'm enjoying the game, but I have to restart it every 15 minutes or so.

None for me yet, though one of my guys did disappear mid game...

Also - is there a colourblind mode? My mate struggles in a couple of the game types. AND a bump about the OST - can I get it even though I didn't buy that particular edition?

Moobabe said:
Also - is there a colourblind mode?
No, but you can use custom colors. It seems like it's normal RGB colors with 1 instead of 255 as the max value.

Edit: Yeah, this is currently unplayable for me. If the dev team is reading I'm running a AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.00 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD4890 1 GB with the latest drivers and Windows 7 64-bit. I'll go back to The Witcher for now. Looking forward to the first patch.

Moobabe

archnemesis said:
No, but you can use custom colors. It seems like it's normal RGB colors with 1 instead of 255 as the max value.

Edit: Yeah, this is currently unplayable for me. If the dev team is reading I'm running a AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.00 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD4890 1 GB with the latest drivers and Windows 7 64-bit. I'll go back to The Witcher for now. Looking forward to the first patch.

Thanks man. Also - both me and a friend tried to upload a game to youtube but there's no progress bar and it crashed the game for both of us after uploading for a while.

Otherwise - loving this so far.

archnemesis said:

The odd hiccup. But for 99% of the time, it's smooth as silk.

SalsaShark said:
i probably need to get this huh?

Without a doubt. The more, the merrier the bloodbath!

archnemesis said:

Man, get in touch with the devs. They'll help you out. One of the best customer service/tech support responses ever - given that they're the makers. Email, go to the forums, you'll get your answer.

TrojanBlade said:
Wow the music in the trailer is awesome! Anyone knows song name or the artist?

Indeed, Nervous_Testpilot is actually Paul Taylor, the artistic director and co-founder of Mode 7 Games. So, a man of many talents.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i love how desktop friendly this game is in window mode. minesweeper for a new generation.

i suggest integrating a "boss-is-looking" panic-button that instantly shrinks the game to an unassuming taskbar icon.

ghst said:
i love how desktop friendly this game is in window mode. minesweeper for a new generation.

i suggest integrating a "boss-is-looking" panic-button that instantly shrinks the game to an unassuming taskbar icon.

You know, I'll just put that to them! Sounds like something they'd find amusing and quite possibly patch it in!

EDIT: Ghst, Paul Taylor's response to both your analogy and suggestion:

Paul Taylor said:
boss key would be good! love the minesweeper thing!

Top Bottom