• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frozen Synapse |OT| The Thinking Man's Shooter

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
oh no! My first multiplayer game and I go into the in-game chat, while waiting for my opponent's move and the game hangs! Does this drop the game? I don't want to look like a rage-quitter in my first match. :c

Brobzoid said:
oh no! My first multiplayer game and I go into the in-game chat, while waiting for my opponent's move and the game hangs! Does this drop the game? I don't want to look like a rage-quitter in my first match. :c

It won't drop your opponent's turn, and if you submitted your turn before it froze (ahem), then it should be fine. The worst that can happen is you having to redo your setup/turns. This game is meant to be played at the same frequency if the opponent is there or not. Fear not.

Brobzoid

how common are rocket launchers in multi? I haven't gotten to that part in the campaign yet so I was a bit flimsy at the start of this match, but I'm shaping up!

Brobzoid said:
how common are rocket launchers in multi? I haven't gotten to that part in the campaign yet so I was a bit flimsy at the start of this match, but I'm shaping up!

The luck of the draw, I suppose. The units are incredibly well-balanced. Though, there's nothing more fearsome than a shotgunner. So fast, best to leave off the aim vectoring and just let them clean house.

Brobzoid

can a rocket hit a dude if he's not near a wall?
I only have one shotgunner and a rocketeer left!

Brobzoid said:
can a rocket hit a dude if he's not near a wall?
I only have one shotgunner and a rocketeer left!

Nope, Bazookas can only kill via splash damage when hitting walls. Don't forget to use them in conjunction with MGs or Snipers, too; have either in position, then start punching holes with rockets. Hopefully a visual opens up and they can tag someone.

My advice, if worse comes to worst, use that bazooka as bait, get the enemy in close, then get the jump on them with your shotgunner. Of course, it's hard to suggest as much without seeing the map, or what's left of it.

Brobzoid

what! I lost my rocketeer and tried to maneuver around the last two remaining troops, but a wall I intended to hide behind blew up and I lost? My guy didn't die! And I can see one of his guys so I don't know what conditions for victory was, is it a set number of rounds(8)?

My first match. my first loss. ;_;

edit: game locked up again in the in-game IRC chat. playing on a mac book pro; anyone know if this is an issue or am I just lucky like that?

Send an email to Mode7, or if you see nervous_testpilot or Omroth in the IRC channel (they're two of the devs and co-founders of Mode7), tell them what's up.

Are you playing windowed?

Brobzoid

Pylon_Trooper said:
Send an email to Mode7, or if you see nervous_testpilot or Omroth in the IRC channel (they're two of the devs and co-founders of Mode7), tell them what's up.

Are you playing windowed?
I am playing windowed, yes.

Another question. From all the videos i've seen you see the enemies positions at all times, is that always the case when in game?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
pappakenoo said:
Another question. From all the videos i've seen you see the enemies positions at all times, is that always the case when in game?

It is during the campaign, haven't tried multi yet. It would be pretty hard to plan your movements without some idea as to where your enemies were.

Sinatar said:
It is during the campaign, haven't tried multi yet. It would be pretty hard to plan your movements without some idea as to where your enemies were.
You can play light or dark versions of the different modes, in dark you only see the enemy prior to the first move and with line of sight.

pappakenoo said:
There's also a dark mode in multiplayer where you can only see enemies that your units can actually see.

Moobabe

Is there a way of seeing which of your friends are online? Or do they automatically get put to the top of the online players list?

Also - does anyone want to play right now?

PuppetSlave said:
Is the singelplayer campaign worth it alone? I doubt I will play multi much.
I'm enjoying it a lot and so far I've only played the single player campaign. There are 55 missions which will last you a while.

Moobabe said:
Is there a way of seeing which of your friends are online? Or do they automatically get put to the top of the online players list?

Also - does anyone want to play right now?

That's how it used to work, friends being placed at the top of the online list.

I'll send a challenge your way, Moobs. We'll have an Ashes tour of sorts.

mrgone

Buying through Steam, is the free copy just like any other multi-pack purchase, where it shows up as a gift in your Gifts and Guest Passes box? Also, if you buy the soundtrack version is the second copy also the soundtrack version? I'm like a hair's width away from picking this up, but I'm hoping to two-pack it with someone :)

Moobabe

mrgone said:
Buying through Steam, is the free copy just like any other multi-pack purchase, where it shows up as a gift in your Gifts and Guest Passes box? Also, if you buy the soundtrack version is the second copy also the soundtrack version? I'm like a hair's width away from picking this up, but I'm hoping to two-pack it with someone :)

I don't know about the soundtrack version - but with the double pack I created an account and then you create your friend's account in game and give them the details. It might be different on steam though.

mrgone

Moobabe said:
I don't know about the soundtrack version - but with the double pack I created an account and then you create your friend's account in game and give them the details. It might be different on steam though.
Nabs said:
On Steam it's like any other gift copy.

Nice! Thanks :)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Thanks to the generous Gaffer who gifted me this. :) I didnt even knew this game a few seconds ago, so I am eager to see what its about.

Make sure you let us know if you want to be added to the FS GAF multiplayer list. Nothing like waking up in the morning, having a fresh cup of Joe and a few challenges in your inbox to content with.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Pylon_Trooper said:
Make sure you let us know if you want to be added to the FS GAF multiplayer list. Nothing like waking up in the morning, having a fresh cup of Joe and a few challenges in your inbox to content with.

Challenges in the inbox?

Edit: anyone know whether there is a key for zooming in and out? (not the mouse wheel)

Toma said:
Challenges in the inbox?

Asynchronous multiplayer. Folks can challenge you to a particular mode even when you're not there. You get an email when someone has challenged you OR submitted a turn to a game you're currently playing. Anyway, check it out.

Single player is terrific, too.

Median

Just want to mention that I got a response about my issue relatively quickly after I contacted the folks at Mode7 through the Frozen Synapse site and they managed to suggest a fix that worked perfectly. If anyone is having hard system crashing issues shortly after starting the game, try going into an offline game (if you haven't already managed to sign up for an account), go into the options, and disable menu backgrounds.

Toma

Pylon_Trooper said:
Asynchronous multiplayer. Folks can challenge you to a particular mode even when you're not there. You get an email when someone has challenged you OR submitted a turn to a game you're currently playing. Anyway, check it out.

Single player is terrific, too.

Ah nice! Will get back to you if I like the singleplayer. Just starting the first mission.

TheExodu5 said:
When I create orders in a timeline, how can I delete specific orders?

Backspace to delete sequentially in reverse, or simply select the order and create another order that cancels it out on top. That usually does the trick.

E.G. Initial order - Duck

If you don't want to duck, add a "Stand" atop of that. It *might* cause a bob, but I'm not sure. Usually, I end up deleting back to the previous movement node and redoing the order list.

EDIT: Ghst, if and when you do your "Hear ye, dolts, hear ye!" thread for FS, throw a link in here in case I can't find it. Because it's going straight to the OP upon creation!

Toma

Does the AI see in the planning phase what I see? Meaning, when I am covering an entrance, they wont walk through it?

Toma said:
Does the AI see in the planning phase what I see? Meaning, when I am covering an entrance, they wont walk through it?

Nope, your plan is yours alone. The AI will operate on its own agenda, planning in much the same way as you. It's a cunning AI, too.

Toma

Pylon_Trooper said:
... It's a cunning AI, too.
Thanks, and I noticed THAT too after finally managing to tackle the first level after 10 tries.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Pylon_Trooper said:
EDIT: Ghst, if and when you do your "Hear ye, dolts, hear ye!" thread for FS, throw a link in here in case I can't find it. Because it's going straight to the OP upon creation!

i'm sorta kinda maybe hoping for some kind of free trial version/demo for the discerning masses to shove their snouts into before i start shepherding attention for this game, something like a limited version of skirmish mode with the initial tutorial.

evangelising is made so much easier when all you need convince people to do is click a download button.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
filipe said:
Anyone looking to split on this for the free gift copy?
I'm up for it if you're still looking for someone. Up for sharing a pack if anyone is interested.

Top Bottom