• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frozen Synapse |OT| The Thinking Man's Shooter

RyanDG

gregor7777 said:
Is there a round limit? I had two men left and lost, presumably because my opponent had three when the match ended. Round 7 or 8.

8 rounds. After that round, whoever has the most guys remaining wins.

Zomo

Alright so
Group G
Gregor7777 vs Doolez

Turn 8 came along and both my machine gunner and rocket guy were still standing when the results come up saying you are victorious so then i go to upload the video and in turn 8 it actually shows my machine gunner and my rocket dude dying? Whats the go? It still says i won and when it said i was victorious my guys were still standing...

Edit: Same thing happened in my game against Vlodril. When everyone was confused as to why i won. My grenadier was not dead when it said i was victorious but then when you re-watch it in round 8 his machine gunner kills my grenade dude. This is really annoying. The game says one thing and shows one thing then its like it adds a few more seconds in the video.

Zomo said:
Alright so
Group G
Gregor7777 vs Doolez

Turn 8 came along and both my machine gunner and rocket guy were still standing when the results come up saying you are victorious so then i go to upload the video and in turn 8 it actually shows my machine gunner and my rocket dude dying? Whats the go? It still says i won and when it said i was victorious my guys were still standing...

It isn't uploading, the game is 127750 if someone could please upload :)

Edit: Same thing happened in my game against Vlodril. When everyone was confused as to why i won. My grenadier was not dead when it said i was victorious but then when you re-watch it in round 8 his machine gunner kills my grenade dude. This is really annoying. The game says one thing and shows one thing then its like it adds a few more seconds in the video.

I believe you had 3 men left when it ended, but I was confused as to why it was ending when it did. I thought it ended after 7 rounds. I don't think I got to see what happened in round 8.

Zomo

gregor7777 said:
I believe you had 3 men left when it ended, but I was confused as to why it was ending when it did. I thought it ended after 7 rounds. I don't think I got to see what happened in round 8.

Just to show everyone else

Doolez vs gregor7777
This is the end of the game screenshot when its at the end of the timer on round 8.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10igpic.jpg

Doolez vs Vlodril
This is the end of the game screenshot when its at the end of the timer on round 8.
http://i52.tinypic.com/dwpcw2.jpg

Doolez vs gregor7777
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiHfyEENoDU

CzarTim

I've randomly run into a problem where my videos will upload to youtube, but then are "Unable to Convert". I didn't have any problems before today, and what's weird is it let me watch the video briefly before it went offline again. Anyone else see this?

Zomo

Its just a bit annoying because what it shows my opponent and I is what the result should be. Our group is very close and it will probably come down to K/D and the results are going to be based on the videos which isn't actually how the games played out. Sorry for complaining.

BigAT

BigAT vs. cramen, Match 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83yCJ3vsrBw
BigAT
win
Soldiers Killed: 3
Soldiers Lost: 0

cramen
loss
Soldiers Killed: 0
Soldiers Lost: 3

We finished up match 2 as well, but I'm having trouble getting it to upload (Failed (unable to convert video file)). I'll try again tomorrow, but for now the results are below:

BigAT
win
Soldiers Killed: 2
Soldiers Lost: 0

cramen
loss
Soldiers Killed: 0
Soldiers Lost: 2

Ok, I thought I was getting somewhere. I was able to log into the UK1 server with no issue today. I didn't want to start my matches immediately so I shut down my computer expecting to get to it tonight. Some windows (7 x64) updates started loading, then unloading as it didn't install correctly :(.
So I finally get to on my computer and start the game, log onto the main server and pick UK1 from the dropdown. I am able to connect (I think) but the dropdown pops back up asking me to choose a server. This menu overlays over the previous message and despite however many times I choose any server and click to logon the same happens. I have to restart a couple times until I am able to actually get started. If anyone knows any potential fixes I will be grateful.

Group F I just started our first matches, all of them. Sorry about being so late. If anyone wants to play realtime I am usually online around 10pm PDT.

zlatko

Banned
I watched the tutorials and played the tutorial itself. I'm trying to do the first level of the campaign but I can't ever win. I've had numerous moments where my guys are looking right where the enemy will walk into the line of sight, but my guys just don't engage.

How many actions per turn do I get across my guys? Is there a better tutorial then the in game one someone can link me to, because I feel all it does is just tell you the controls which is fine, but I have no clue how to properly execute what it is I'm thinking in my head.

Example: Game starts, 1 guy is in a hall way by himself turned around. One of my guys is on the wall behind him. I want my guy to come around the corner and shoot this fuck dead if he's still in that hall way in front of him. I'll get shit like guy walks out around corner and gets shot, or my guy walks around corner, the other guy started walking the other way with his ass turned, but my guy just won't shoot him.

:/

Edit: First turn. AI has an enemy in a room with only one entrance. It's a small area. I have two guys on the first turn right outside the room. I tell one of them to look right at the door, engage on sight, and focus on the bad guy. Second guy I have him move for a clear view of the doorway, aim in that area, engage on sight, focus on enemy. I go prime after the other commands for my other guys, but the enemy walks out of the room and kills both of my guys who I told to engage on sight and to focus on this guy... WTF AM I DOING WRONG!?!?!?!?

I don't think I'm suited for tournament play. I have a lot of fun with friends because we both are moving and attacking but in this kind of situation defensive players who just lay back and sit tight have a huge advantage. Which is surely fair but I can't do it. Having a decent time this tourney but I'll probably just stick to buddy play after this is done. I'm not complaining about my opponents, I sat in a single spot in that match against Nish for the whole 2nd half too knowing I couldn't afford another loss. Maybe I just need to learn a better offensive skillset or be more patient and lay back also.

Codeblue

CE_Blah_Blah, check out that second game between Meister and I. I sat back and defended while his shotgun destroyed me.

Regarding the draw we had, I certainly learned my lesson about telling a rocketeer to shoot at the end of one round and beginning of the next. That sucked. Meister is an awesome player though, so I can't feel bad about the loss.

CzarTim

cr_blah_blah said:
I don't think I'm suited for tournament play. I have a lot of fun with friends because we both are moving and attacking but in this kind of situation defensive players who just lay back and sit tight have a huge advantage. Which is surely fair but I can't do it. Having a decent time this tourney but I'll probably just stick to buddy play after this is done. I'm not complaining about my opponents, I sat in a single spot in that match against Nish for the whole 2nd half too knowing I couldn't afford another loss. Maybe I just need to learn a better offensive skillset or be more patient and lay back also.
Yeah, the tournament has made me start playing extremely defensively like this where no one wants to move from the starting positions.

I will say this though, it has made me learn the advantages of each position a lot more thoroughly. When one of my guys dies now, I know exactly why. And I go into scenarios with a better risk vs reward evaluation.

Instro

Zomo said:
Alright so
Group G
Gregor7777 vs Doolez

Usually at the end of the game you can see what happened if there had been one more turn by clicking the play button, so I imagine that might get tacked on at the end of a video.

-Mikey-

Played through some of the campaign tonight and realized that I could have 3 guys to the AI's 1 dude and lose and vice versa.

May be cheap actually but I really like that about this game. I'll see my terrible spawns and think I'm fucked and pull out a victory. So sweet.

CzarTim

Group G
Vlodril versus CzarTim
Game Two

Vlodril wins with two kills and one casualty
CzarTim loses with one kill and two casualties

Game 129198 -- tried uploading several times, but it failed.

Vlodril

I have two finished games with Koonal and CzarTim but i suddenly can't upload. It says its finished and uploading in youtube but nothing comes out in my channel. Its weird. Anyone who wants to get them and upload them would be nice.

Zomo

Instro said:
Usually at the end of the game you can see what happened if there had been one more turn by clicking the play button, so I imagine that might get tacked on at the end of a video.
So do I still count my casualties that show up at the end of the video? That seems kind of unfair. I technically shouldn't have had the casualty in my game against Vlodril if that's the case.

zlatko

Banned
zlatko said:
I watched the tutorials and played the tutorial itself. I'm trying to do the first level of the campaign but I can't ever win. I've had numerous moments where my guys are looking right where the enemy will walk into the line of sight, but my guys just don't engage.

How many actions per turn do I get across my guys? Is there a better tutorial then the in game one someone can link me to, because I feel all it does is just tell you the controls which is fine, but I have no clue how to properly execute what it is I'm thinking in my head.

Example: Game starts, 1 guy is in a hall way by himself turned around. One of my guys is on the wall behind him. I want my guy to come around the corner and shoot this fuck dead if he's still in that hall way in front of him. I'll get shit like guy walks out around corner and gets shot, or my guy walks around corner, the other guy started walking the other way with his ass turned, but my guy just won't shoot him.

:/

Edit: First turn. AI has an enemy in a room with only one entrance. It's a small area. I have two guys on the first turn right outside the room. I tell one of them to look right at the door, engage on sight, and focus on the bad guy. Second guy I have him move for a clear view of the doorway, aim in that area, engage on sight, focus on enemy. I go prime after the other commands for my other guys, but the enemy walks out of the room and kills both of my guys who I told to engage on sight and to focus on this guy... WTF AM I DOING WRONG!?!?!?!?

Anyone? I'm super lost here and I want to give this game a chance, but I'm not finding any real answers.

Also, I made the mistake of clicking that red button in the lower left hand(not sure what it did), but it auto put me into 2 games with people? I went into the first and on the first turn I took out all but one of his men, and this guy has over 200+ games, but then he wouldn't do the next turn? He keeps inviting me, but I don't know how to message him to ask him to please finish up the first game before I would accept another.

As for my second invite I keep going to it, but the game won't load up. It's just stuck on the versus screen and shows his name and rank/score as well as mine.

PLEASE GAF HELP ME OUT HERE! :(

zlatko said:
Anyone? I'm super lost here and I want to give this game a chance, but I'm not finding any real answers.

Also, I made the mistake of clicking that red button in the lower left hand(not sure what it did), but it auto put me into 2 games with people? I went into the first and on the first turn I took out all but one of his men, and this guy has over 200+ games, but then he wouldn't do the next turn? He keeps inviting me, but I don't know how to message him to ask him to please finish up the first game before I would accept another.

As for my second invite I keep going to it, but the game won't load up. It's just stuck on the versus screen and shows his name and rank/score as well as mine.

I haven't played single player at all so I can't help with the specifics of that scenario (and it's late here!), but don't worry about the game you started. If you have killed more than him and 2 weeks (I believe) have elapsed then you'll get the win. Games don't need to be finished to count as long as a single turn has been made and the time period has elapsed. If you don't both make your first turn the game won't count and you can just delete it from your list and not worry about it (the one that won't load)

For "actions per turn" you get as many actions as you can fit into the 5 second window. Make sure to always run as many simulations as you need to figure out for sure if you'll shoot the guy and it'll play out exactly like you want. You can move the enemies in the sim to do what you think they'll do (the same as when you're moving your guys except you click the enemies instead), so you can simulate the exact scenario you're imagining in your head on the screen. That'll help you immensely since you can then figure out what you're mechanically doing wrong.

There's a link to hints and base knowledge floating here somewhere also.

zlatko

Banned
cr_blah_blah said:
I haven't played single player at all so I can't help with the specifics of that scenario (and it's late here!), but don't worry about the game you started. If you have killed more than him and 2 weeks (I believe) have elapsed then you'll get the win. Games don't need to be finished to count as long as a single turn has been made and the time period has elapsed. If you don't both make your first turn the game won't count and you can just delete it from your list and not worry about it (the one that won't load)

For "actions per turn" you get as many actions as you can fit into the 5 second window.

Ah, bless you! I'll probably have more questions later, but I'm happy you cleared that up. :)

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Questions:

How do you disengage enemies?

Can you stop explosive classes from firing?

No concede option?

What is the objective of Disrupt?

_tetsuo_ said:
Questions:

How do you disengage enemies?

Can you stop explosive classes from firing?

No concede option?

What is the objective of Disrupt?

You can "ignore on sight" or, I believe, right-click an enemy and pick "ignore enemy". If you're in a firefight you're going to lose then "ignore on sight" and he'll stop attacking any enemy in sight (he'll go back to engaging on sight at the next block movement) so you can move him quickly away from danger.

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking but you can just not fire with your grenadier or rocketman.

If you're losing then, like I mentioned above, you can just stop playing and eventually the game will end and they'll get the win. You could just leave them a message in-game you're doing that or just run out and get your guys killed.

Can't help with disrupt.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Heyhey, sorry for not updating for a while. I needed an extended period of sleep. I will update everything so far now.

GROUP N:

Quantum Bro is "hmecey" on UK1, I changed this in the tourney table and in the contact link.

Myke Greywolf said:
If it makes you feel better, from my point of view, it clearly shows your first machine gunner getting hit with a bullet. I'll upload the video later.

It's cool, I assumed he was dead no matter what but then got my hopes up when I thought I could get away. Only to see that shot down through a wall! There's still a little jank here in there in the game, so it's not a big deal.

Volodja

Just cut the legs to my chances of winning the first game against cramen getting my Rocket Launcher killed because I didn't move him like I should have.
Now I have to hunt 2 Granade Launchers and a Rocket Launcher with 1 GL and 1 MG in plain sight with the enemies at the other side of the map. Unless my MG does some unreal granade dodging I don't see this happening.

cr_blah_blah said:
It's cool, I assumed he was dead no matter what but then got my hopes up when I thought I could get away. Only to see that shot down through a wall! There's still a little jank here in there in the game, so it's not a big deal.

From my experience, if the killing shot is fired just before the end of a turn, no matter what you do in the following turn, the "doomed" man will always die. The shot is lethal as soon as it comes out from the weapon.

Sectus

zlatko said:

About the first campaign mission:
All your units have shotguns and all the enemy units are using machine guns, you have to utilize that advantage. Avoid any mid to long range encounters. Focus on running between rooms (and maybe peeking out a few windows if there's an enemy close by) and avoid staying in corridors for very long. You shouldn't have to worry about any hold fire or aim commands, just focus on blitzing through rooms.

It's worth mentioning that the first campaign mission is actually harder than the following missions, so once you beat it you'll have an easier time with the next handful of missions.

zlatko

Banned
Sectus said:
About the first campaign mission:
All your units have shotguns and all the enemy units are using machine guns, you have to utilize that advantage. Avoid any mid to long range encounters. Focus on running between rooms (and maybe peeking out a few windows if there's an enemy close by) and avoid staying in corridors for very long. You shouldn't have to worry about any hold fire or aim commands, just focus on blitzing through rooms.

It's worth mentioning that the first campaign mission is actually harder than the following missions, so once you beat it you'll have an easier time with the next handful of missions.

Oh wow I had no clue. I thought it was just 5 on 4 and that I was issuing shitty commands. It explains why they were able to hit me sometimes from so far away even though I'd be looking at them ready to attack before the action takes place. Thanks for the tip now I know to engage in close quarter engagements in that mission. :)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Versipellis said:
From my experience, if the killing shot is fired just before the end of a turn, no matter what you do in the following turn, the "doomed" man will always die. The shot is lethal as soon as it comes out from the weapon.

That seems to be correct.

Owensboro

I tried looking in the OP but couldn't find anything, and the search function on NeoGAF has never really been kind to me, so I'm just going to ask:

Are there any good "How to Play" articles and or videos out there that explain basic things in the game? I'm looking for things like "Optimal distance to keep a machine gunner at" an such. I keep loosing them to enemies and I'm confused as to why. I usually have them aiming in the correct direction but they never get the first shot off.

Toma

Owensboro said:
I tried looking in the OP but couldn't find anything, and the search function on NeoGAF has never really been kind to me, so I'm just going to ask:

Are there any good "How to Play" articles and or videos out there that explain basic things in the game? I'm looking for things like "Optimal distance to keep a machine gunner at" an such. I keep loosing them to enemies and I'm confused as to why. I usually have them aiming in the correct direction but they never get the first shot off.

Here is something i wrote up for the current tournament, plus a link to the official post regarding that in their forums. My hints are more basic and focussed, you might want to start with them.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29242383&postcount=1368

Oh and feel free to post a screen or preferably video if you got a question about a certain situation.

Nishastra

Banned
Not a tournament match, but I wanted to post a video of this match I had with n8BitMan the other day :p

Two rocket guys per team. Absolute destruction.

On a related note, I've noticed that the screen that says who's in the match at the start often has the colors wrong if the video's done from match history rather than from within the match right when it ends. I think it picks the colors there based on who challenged who to start the match, but the actual colors shown are from my perspective, so it's only right if I challenged.

Dascu

Toma, I fear you made a little mistake in the spreadsheet. In Group B, you put two youtubes for Dascu vs Dutfish and Dutfish vs Dascu. They're both the same match though. We have yet to fight our second match.

Top Bottom