• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frozen Synapse |OT| The Thinking Man's Shooter

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Ferrio said:
Ah... Red usually does'nt mean link...

Red is usually: "READ THIS, ITS IMPORTANT" :p

And I thought that line is self-explanatory ;)

Flayer

Rhinoceros graciously accepted my request for a remap and the following 2 games resulted.

Game 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_zS0CpBvzk
1 Rifle 1 Grenadier 1 Rocketeer match.
Result:
Flayer 3 Rhinoceros 0 - Flayer wins!
A quick game that snowballed when Rhinoceros lost his Rifle, leaving his explosive units vulnerable to flanks.

Game 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_k762IIJFo
3 Rifle 1 Rocketeer match.
Result:
Flayer 3 Rhinoceros 3 - Draw!
Rhinoceros doesn't fall for my triple stacked Rifles at the start kills a Rifle on the next turn, putting himself a man up with a strong positional advantage. Tactical maneuvering follows over the next 5 turns, leaving it at 4-3 to Rhinoceros going into the final turn. Despite defensive retreating from Rhinoceros I manage a kill in the last second of the 8th turn and tie it up at 3-3 for a stolen draw.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Corto said:
Loved my games with Instro. Learnt something on both of them. Now I need to control better the interface of the game.

Thanks Instro! ;)

I mean.. just look at that:

jvVeCl.jpg

*jitters*

Thats one Gaffer I'd like to avoid as long as possible.

(Updated everything so far)

Toma

Palmer_v1 said:
Stacked brackets confirmed!?

Nah, dont worry. Everything will be randomized. If I meet him in the first KO phase I got the chance to dispose of him for the good of all of us! :p

On second thought..

Kalnos

Banned
I did finish one of the games with Soktos.

Rhinoceros vs Soktos: Match 1.

Rhinoceros
Wins: 1
Losses: 0
Draws: 0
Soldiers Killed: 3
Soldiers Lost: 0

Soktos
Wins:
Losses: 1
Soldiers Killed: 0
Soldiers Lost: 3

Instro

To be fair corto and Gerhalt hadn't played much prior to our games, so I had a pretty good leg up on them going in. That 2nd match with corto was really fun though, was definitely in a tight spot early on.

Hanzou

Instro said:
To be fair corto and Gerhalt hadn't played much prior to our games, so I had a pretty good leg up on them going in. That 2nd match with corto was really fun though, was definitely in a tight spot early on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bmQcS4l2Tk

Take a look at our first game here. Is it just me or did you shotgunner shot my machinegunner through the wall there on the right hand side?

Morphis

Hanzou said:

Take a look at our first game here. Is it just me or did you shotgunner shot my machinegunner through the wall there on the right hand side?

It's because of the perspective in the vid. It can be deceiving at times, when playing you should either zoom in and look at the walls, or press and hold 'V' to show an aiming line from your unit or waypoint. Or in this case, your opponent's.

This evening I showed a friend of mine around in the turorial and I found it a glaring omission that they don't tell you about the aimling line you get while holding 'V'.

Hanzou

Morphis said:
It's because of the perspective in the vid. It can be deceiving at times, when playing you should either zoom in and look at the walls, or press and hold 'V' to show an aiming line from your unit or waypoint. Or in this case, your opponent's.

This evening I showed a friend of mine around in the turorial and I found it a glaring omission that they don't tell you about the aimling line you get while holding 'V'.

V gives you an aiming line? Good to know! Yeah I noticed the angles can be funny as there was another time where It looked like I was shotting through the wall but on closer inspection I was clear, I still think based on where his guy is and mine, I am behind the wall.

RyanDG

Hanzou said:

It looks like you were just slightly outside of the cover of the doorway/wall there. The game is pretty precise when it comes to when you are 'in sight' or not and you gave it just that sliver needed to be counted as being in sight.

Morphis

Hanzou said:
V gives you an aiming line? Good to know! Yeah I noticed the angles can be funny as there was another time where It looked like I was shotting through the wall but on closer inspection I was clear, I still think based on where his guy is and mine, I am behind the wall.
Like I said, the V thing not being in the tutorial is a shame.

RyanDG said:
It looks like you were just slightly outside of the cover of the doorway/wall there. The game is pretty precise when it comes to when you are 'in sight' or not and you gave it just that sliver needed to be counted as being in sight.
Exactly, looks to me that you're just a bit away from the 'safe place' in this scenario. The game is indeed pretty precise in this regard, the enemy unit only has to 'see' a pixel of your unit to be able to take aim and shoot.

Hanzou

Instro said:
Yeah I thought that looked a bit weird myself when I saw the video, but looking at the actual replay the back half of your guy is sticking out just enough.

Boo. You killed me with a shotgun shell to the butt!

BigAT

How do you go about challenging an opponent to a game? No one in Group P (cramen, Anilusion, Volodja, darksagus) has challenged me yet and clicking Challenge in the multiplayer menu says I have to specify someone from the list of players currently online.

CzarTim

Group G

CzarTim versus gregor7777

gregor7777 wins with four kills and no casualties
CzarTim loses with no kills and four casualties

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uGiJYy1DxE

I did not have the best start position, but man that was an abysmal performance. Made some sloppy decisions, though my rocket launcher just missing his shotty at the end was bad luck.

Neki

BigAT said:
How do you go about challenging an opponent to a game? No one in Group P (cramen, Anilusion, Volodja, darksagus) has challenged me yet and clicking Challenge in the multiplayer menu says I have to specify someone from the list of players currently online.
Under Multi-player tab, there is a Create Game function. you want to use that.

CzarTim said:
Group G

CzarTim versus gregor7777

gregor7777 wins with four kills and no casualties
CzarTim loses with no kills and four casualties

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uGiJYy1DxE

I did not have the best start position, but man that was an abysmal performance. Made some sloppy decisions, though my rocket launcher just missing his shotty at the end was bad luck.

My first win! :) I felt like I had an advantageous spawn.

Morphis said:
Just had my first match of the tourney with TheExecutive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5F6vjuDmHE

Killed 4, lost 0.

The game was really over when I killed his RL and one of his MGs with a guess which turned out lucky :)

Will play more games tomorrow probably.
Yep got beaten pretty bad there. I didn't see the incoming possibility of the rocket as I couldn't replicate it. I will not be playing any more tournament matches while drinking but I will say that the rocket placement was nothing short of incredible. After that I had very little options as your mg was well placed as well. Great game.

Kalnos

Banned
Updated for both games against Soktos.

Rhinoceros vs Soktos:
Match 1.
Match 2.

Rhinoceros
Wins: 2
Losses: 0
Soldiers Killed: 6
Soldiers Lost: 1

Soktos
Wins: 0
Losses: 2
Soldiers Killed: 1
Soldiers Lost: 6

vocab

I'm having a problem uploading to youtube. I don't know if it is server specific. I uploaded one on Texas fine. But on UK, there's massive slowdown on record, and I either crash at the end, or it finishes recording, but fails to convert on youtube. Any ideas?

Edit: apparently when I run it in a window with 800x600 there's no slowdown. And the video uploads fine. WTF.

Hanzou

Can anybody tell me in this match here why my machine gunner on the bottom left towards the end does not shoot the guy in the window? He was walking right towards him with line of sight and for some reason does not fire until he gets to his final position but its too late. I am confused as to if I did something wrong.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmz4PPVrUJ0

Kalnos

Banned
Hanzou said:
Can anybody tell me in this match here why my machine gunner on the bottom left towards the end does not shoot the guy in the window?

I went in-game to look, but unfortunately I can't see what commands you had on your unit for whatever reason. I'm guessing it's just because his guy wasn't fully in your line of sight, it looked he stopped to shoot one of your other units briefly before moving a bit more and sighting your mg.

kunu

Having a crazy long game (on the 8th turn?) with CzarTim. I'm hoping it goes to a draw because frankly I'm bound to lose soon :<

I love the long games though, especially when it's down to reduced units. Makes it much more tense and exciting.

Hanzou

Kalnos said:
I went in-game to look, but unfortunately I can't see what commands you had on your unit for whatever reason. I'm guessing it's just because his guy wasn't fully in your line of sight, it looked he stopped to shoot one of your other units briefly before moving a bit more and sighting your mg.

Yeah I checked my commands and it was just on regular "attack when in sight". In the game I zoomed in and almost half of his body was visible in the window so I don't know what happened. Maybe it was just a glitch because he should have fired as my enemy there killed 2 guys before my guy started firing at him. Weird.

By the way, is there any chance that someone still have unredeemed gift-key for Frozen Synapse? Really want to recommend the game to one of my friends.

James-Ape

show some balls, man
It's so annoying when you have a guy, who is standing still, see a moving enemy come in and out of view only for the enemy to end up behind cover and kill him. Even though the enemy wasn't aware of my position in the first place :(

zlatko

Banned
Just curious did anyone not use their extra copy code and want to hook me up? I'm curious about this game, but not $24.99 curious. :p

Toma

The_Player said:
welford, where are you, my man? Go challenge me!

Write him a PM. :)

Maybe they didnt see the tournament starting.

Everything updated so far btw.

James-Ape

show some balls, man
i'm welford, i was waiting for you to challenge me. I've already played a game against RyanDG. I'll be on again in a few hours

Top Bottom