• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frozen Synapse |OT| The Thinking Man's Shooter

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Confidence Man said:
Thanks for the upload, GG.

And Toma it looks like you put me down for a loss in this match.

Corrected.

Jeez, what a bad mistake :(

Tnx for the upload Toma!

Damn, just had a horrible start in my round against tehsober. Setting aim a few moments earlier would have changed everything.

Vlodril

I was sure I had you.

You did. As i said it was an extremely lucky shot. If we re do it 50 times doubt its going to go that way again. You shouldn't put your people close to a wall when there is a rocket around. Certainly not together too :p

BigAT

chicken_ramen said:
I would also like to take this opportunity to congratulate BigAT on our two games. I underestimated him twice and he had my number both times.
Thanks! I'm still very, very new to this game and I have a lot of little things to learn still, but I feel fairly well about how I've been playing so far. I can't say I was pleased to see you in my group after learning you had won the last tournament, so that makes me especially proud of my two victories.

Morphis

TheExecutive, I've started our second game. I have a feeling this could be an intense one :)
For the rest of Group F: I haven't started our second ones yet, don't really have time to input the turns right now.

Also, I was thinking about mods. Does anyone know if this game is moddable (probably, PC master race and all) and if anyone is making or planning to make a mod for it? Some ideas might be a second weapon or a (flash)grenade for some or all classes, or adding melee attacks of some kind.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Morphis said:
Also, I was thinking about mods. Does anyone know if this game is moddable (probably, PC master race and all) and if anyone is making or planning to make a mod for it? Some ideas might be a second weapon or a (flash)grenade for some or all classes, or adding melee attacks of some kind.

The only "mods" so far are custom designed maps basically. Yeah doesnt look that look to be honest. All my hopes are on the DLC they want to throw out of the door until the end of the year. Who knows what they might push out with that.

Kalnos

Banned
Toma said:
The only "mods" so far are custom designed maps basically. Yeah doesnt look that look to be honest. All my hopes are on the DLC they want to throw out of the door until the end of the year. Who knows what they might push out with that.

They're putting out a patch in August that will supposedly have some content. Team games would be interesting I have to admit.

Toma

Kalnos said:
They're putting out a patch in August that will supposedly have some content. Team games would be interesting I have to admit.

August has been announced now? The last I've heard was end of year. Good to know!

Morphis

Kalnos said:
Cool to hear that the devs are looking to put out extra content. I would buy all DLC for this game, not only because I want to support the devs but becasue I believe they can plobably think of great additions to the game.

And indeed, having co-op of some kind would make this already great game even better.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Kalnos said:

Will they let me level up on bots (even if it's only 1 EXP point per win) so I can take forever and level to 100 by myself without having many losses on youtube? ;___;

Edit: I also wouldn't mind having a cloud save for single player (though it's saved to their servers?) since it's the only Steam game I own that doesn't do Cloud Saves.

Kalnos

Banned
Toma said:
August has been announced now? The last I've heard was end of year. Good to know!

I'm not 100%, I know for sure the devs were planning bug fixes in August at least from what I remember reading on the forums. Honestly, I really don't need content, I would just like some server/UI improvements.

I doubt there will be huge amounts of content, but anything would be better than nothing.

11550788.png

Nice fuckin camping, bro.

Tegris

I'm sorry I've been so slack lately, Group B - I've been unexpectedly busy over the last couple of days, but I'm playing through my turns now and should have plenty of time over the next week for you to continue annihilating me. :)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Zomo said:
As in just one server?

TBH, there really is no reason for the multiple servers since at most the main one is getting 150 players peak, while the rest are about 20-55. Merging to one-two would be beneficial to their maintenance costs so long as the performance doesn't slow/falter.

I just hope they fix the "game is on a different server" issue. I can see other peoples games, but can't play them because they aren't on my server? What? :|

Zomo

TheSeks said:
TBH, there really is no reason for the multiple servers since at most the main one is getting 150 players peak, while the rest are about 20-55. Merging to one-two would be beneficial to their maintenance costs so long as the performance doesn't slow/falter.

I just hope they fix the "game is on a different server" issue. I can see other peoples games, but can't play them because they aren't on my server? What? :|

1-2 would be ideal. I hate going back and forth from servers.

Dascu

Group B
Dascu vs Tegris

Dascu: Loss (2 units killed, 4 units lost)
Tegris: Win (4 units killed, 2 units lost)

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNTRuMfs_lE

Man, Tegris got lucky a few times. One of my rockets (0:36) went right past the wall it was supposed to hit. Must've been right at the end of a turn simulation so I couldn't check if it actually hit the wall or not.

The_Player said:
11550788.png

Nice fuckin camping, bro.

Do you remember who that was against, by any chance? I've run into a couple people that do this (group all their soldiers together in the same spot, move them all together, etc..)

Also I never realized you can launch FS without Steam running.

Zomo

Confidence Man said:
Do you remember who that was against, by any chance? I've run into a couple people that do this (group all their soldiers together in the same spot, move them all together, etc..)

Also I never realized you can launch FS without Steam running.

This might sound silly but how?

Toma

Zomo said:
This might sound silly but how?

Open your steam folder, then:
Steamapps, Common, Frozen Synapse, FrozenSynapse.exe.

Just make a shortcut on your desktop or something.

Palmer_v1

Looking at the google sheet, I am missing one win. In group H, Tygell(me) should be 2-0 vs Moosetwik and 1-2 vs Deraldin, but I'm listed as 2-2 total right now.

Toma

Palmer_v1 said:
Looking at the google sheet, I am missing one win. In group H, Tygell(me) should be 2-0 vs Moosetwik and 1-2 vs Deraldin, but I'm listed as 2-2 total right now.

Will check that in a moment.
Edit: How can you be 1-2 vs Deraldin? You only have 2 matches each and you got 2 matches vs moostwik and 2 vs Deraldin.

Hanzou

When is the deadline for the end of the first round? I played one game with Corto in my group and sent him a challenge for game 2 like 4 days ago and have not heard back.

Toma

Hanzou said:
When is the deadline for the end of the first round? I played one game with Corto in my group and sent him a challenge for game 2 like 4 days ago and have not heard back.

Yeah I was about to announce that:

EVERYONE TELL ME WHO ISNT RESPONDING TO HIS MATCH FOR MORE THAN 3 DAYS:

I'll write them a pm, and if they dont respond within another 2 days, the games are decided.

Palmer_v1

Toma said:
Will check that in a moment.
Edit: How can you be 1-2 vs Deraldin? You only have 2 matches each and you got 2 matches vs moostwik and 2 vs Deraldin.

Oh, I think we misunderstood this phase. I thought we were playing until one of the two people had two wins.

Edit: Yeah, we reported it wrong. If you take only our first two games, like it should have been, Deraldin won the first, and I won the second. The third was played erroneously.

Toma

Palmer_v1 said:
Oh, I think we misunderstood this phase. I thought we were playing until one of the two people had two wins.

Well, there is the problem :p

But yeah, its 2 games with every member of your group, sorry if that wasnt clear enough.

Palmer_v1

Toma said:
Well, there is the problem :p

But yeah, its 2 games with every member of your group, sorry if that wasnt clear enough.

Nah, it's perfectly clear. We both just spaced out on it. Just have to adjust which two games you have recorded for us. I'll upload and post them again soon.

In regards to players MIA, Finjitzu in group H still hasn't shown up on UK1.

Toma

Palmer_v1 said:
Nah, it's perfectly clear. We both just spaced out on it. Just have to adjust which two games you have recorded for us. I'll upload and post them again soon.

In regards to players MIA, Finjitzu in group H still hasn't shown up on UK1.

Okay thanks :)

Finjitzu got pm'ed.

BTW: Updated everything so far.

Dascu

Toma said:

I'll write them a pm, and if they dont respond within another 2 days, the games are decided.
Broseybrose from Group B took his first turn, but hasn't continued since. It's been around 3 days by now.

BigAT

Toma said:

Is there any way to see when the last turn was taken in a game?

Toma

BigAT said:
Is there any way to see when the last turn was taken in a game?

I am not quite sure, try using fair judgement whether it might have been that long, if you are unsure, wait until tomorrow.

Code:
List of people pm'ed for MIA:

Finjitzu
BroseyBrose

Group F

TheExecutive Vs. mr_appleby

TheExecutive (Winner)
Killed: 4
Lost: 0

mr_appleby (Loser)
Killed: 0
Lost: 4

YouTube doesnt work for me so hopefully mr_appleby will capture it.

Broseybrose

I hate to do this but i have to forfeit. Good luck to all my competitors.

I probably would have lost in the first round anyway, so...

Morphis

Group F

Jigsama: WIN
Killed: 1

TheConfidenceMan: LOSE
Lost: 1

I can't seem to get the match to upload, gives the 'unable to convert video file' error. Strange, given that I was able to upload my four previous matches without any trouble. Anyhow, it's game no. 141863. If anyone would like to upload it, be my guest :) Otherwise I'll try to upload again tomorrow.

Anyhow, about the game. It was really tense. We started with 2 MGs and 1 GL. TheConfidenceMan lost 1 MG because of a bad call, which he himself admitted. It's hard to push with MGs. But the subsequent turns turned into somewhat of a castle siege, as I tried really hard to not make the mistake that would level the match. I wouldn't have been so campy if it hadn't been a tournament match, but eh, playing to win and all that.
I was able to ride out the storm of grenades and got away with the narrow W.

I really like that about playing this game in tournament form, the will to win it inspires in me. Normally, ranked scores don't mean so much to me, as I don't play the game enough. But this tourney really does it :)

Also, it's been said before but can't be said enough: Toma, you really are the man for organizing and keeping track of this whole thing!

Zomo

Morphis said:
Group F

Jigsama: WIN
Killed: 1

TheConfidenceMan: LOSE
Lost: 1

I can't seem to get the match to upload, gives the 'unable to convert video file' error. Strange, given that I was able to upload my four previous matches without any trouble. Anyhow, it's game no. 141863. If anyone would like to upload it, be my guest :) Otherwise I'll try to upload again tomorrow.

Anyhow, about the game. It was really tense. We started with 2 MGs and 1 GL. TheConfidenceMan lost 1 MG because of a bad call, which he himself admitted. It's hard to push with MGs. But the subsequent turns turned into somewhat of a castle siege, as I tried really hard to not make the mistake that would level the match. I wouldn't have been so campy if it hadn't been a tournament match, but eh, playing to win and all that.
I was able to ride out the storm of grenades and got away with the narrow W.

I really like that about playing this game in tournament form, the will to win it inspires in me. Normally, ranked scores don't mean so much to me, as I don't play the game enough. But this tourney really does it :)

Also, it's been said before but can't be said enough: Toma, you really are the man for organizing and keeping track of this whole thing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRUxt_kgAFA

Sober

PjotrStroganov said:
Damn, just had a horrible start in my round against tehsober. Setting aim a few moments earlier would have changed everything.
Same could be said about myself in our first game :p

Group O
tehsober vs. InertiaXR, game 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo1oAwVByOk

tehsober - 2 kills
InertiaXR - 1 kill

Do the last 5 seconds count? In that video it is my rocket killed while he kills Inertia's MG which is more of a turn 9 if-noone-makes-any-input thing. (the game technically ends and gave me a victory a second after my shotgunner kills his rocket)

BigAT

I can see why people don't care for games without a rocker or grenade launcher, it can too easily just become a stand-off. I guess I got a little too aggressive at the end going for the win instead of just settling for a draw.

Group P

BigAT vs. korei8 , Match :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmHiWqmkRJg

BigAT
loss
Soldiers Killed: 2
Soldiers Lost: 3

korei8
win
Soldiers Killed: 3
Soldiers Lost: 2

Sober

BigAT said:
I can see why people don't care for games without a rocker or grenade launcher, it can too easily just become a stand-off. I guess I got a little too aggressive at the end going for the win instead of just settling for a draw.
GLs make good area denial, because if you can toss a nade into a room, even if they see it coming into the next turn, it just means they have to avoid it and you can always cut off their plans for flanking or rushing or whatever.

Rockets I think are kind of fun, it makes people reconsider areas that are normally defensible and makes the game more mobile. If you expect a rocket then, strangely the importance of open ground I think becomes much more valuable with a rocket in play.

Top Bottom