• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frozen Synapse |OT| The Thinking Man's Shooter

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
First of all:

I decided to throw in a small steam gift, 5-10€, for the winner of this tournament.

Additionally Inertia is giving away something in the same price range for the winner of the match for 3rd place.

It will be a surprise game that not even I know about yet. I'll probably look through the stuff you have and decide what you might like. No blaming me if its not perfect, I'll try my best ;)

Feel free to sponsor any price for anything, like:

-most kills
-least losses

basically anything you can come up with, if you wish, or just sponsor prices for place 1-4.

Secondly:

Sorry for the lack of updates during the last few days, tiny bit busy with other stuff. I am currently uploading and updating everything so far.

Third:
Major thanks to Zomo for uploading matches others couldnt upload. Saves me a lot of time with the mass uploading of stuff thats missing.

InertiaXr

Toma said:
I decided to throw in a small steam gift, 5-10€, for the winner of this tournament.

It will be a surprise game that not even I know about yet. I'll probably look through the stuff you have and decide what you might like. No blaming me if its not perfect, I'll try my best ;)
I will also give away a Steam gift, $5-10, to the winner of the 3rd place match. If you got something picked out you want I will of course do that, or random based on your other games Toma-style, your choice.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
My two games with Fresquito (which I both lost):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XajXJAfIvwU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gthy5dM2dsc

Volodja said:
I've finished my matches against korei8.

The matches are respectively number 133430 and number 137809 but I don't have a youtube account to upload them.

My last match against Anilusion is also basically over but he hasn't played his turn yet, as soon as it's over I'll post the results for both our matches.

Uploaded:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuTSDQc6gGE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xISmmg_i1cw

Soktos said:
Not sure if n0b posted this or not:

Group C
Game 1: Soktos vs. n0b
n0b wins. Lost 2 men, 2 survives.
Soktos lost. Lost 3 men, 1 survives.

Was a hard fought battle, and lasts until turn 8.

At least I can say I am slowly getting the hang of the game. Still loving it!

Uploaded:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukrK8aEW2wU

blazinglazers said:
Sorry for the lack of vids, YT export seems boned on my laptop.

Massively Uploaded:
blah-friggles 1
blah-friggles 2

snoop-friggles 1
snoop-friggles2

Dutfish said:
Group B:

Dutfish vs. Tegris: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXR8T3jmT4E

Dutfish 4 kills 1 loss

Tegris 1 kill 4 losses

Correct me if I am wrong, but havent you already played 2 games with each other?

Toma said:
Yeah I was about to announce that:

EVERYONE TELL ME WHO ISNT RESPONDING TO HIS MATCH FOR MORE THAN 3 DAYS:

I'll write them a pm, and if they dont respond within another 2 days, the games are decided.

Code:
List of people pm'ed for MIA:

Corto (2 days left to respond)
Vcassano (2 days left to respond)
kunu (2 days left to respond)
kryptikjoker (2 days left to respond)

Finjitzu hasnt responded, so his games are gone now, meaning Group H is done.

Updated everything else and send MIA messages to Corto and vcassano.

Toma

Oh and something else:

Group L is probably going to get kicked because no one played any game there yet. Which means I'll try to determine the two best "losers" out of everyone who fell out of the tournament to fill up the K.O. phase.

Instro

Toma said:
First of all:

Mystery prize?! I must win. :p

Shame about Group L btw, did any of them respond to pm's or what?

Toma

Instro said:
Mystery prize?! I must win. :p

Shame about Group L btw, did any of them respond to pm's or what?

I havent send out pm's to them up to now. I was sorta hoping everyone who had interest in the tourney would check the FS thread once in a while, I mean its almost two weeks now.
If I pm'd them now it might take another 2 weeks for them to finish their group, which is why I consider just cancelling their games alltogether to move to the k.o. phase.

Your opinion on this?

Edit: and dont overlook Inertia's post. You can also win by being 3rd now ;)

Instro

Oh yeah you should definitely just scratch their group at this point, unless they have already played some matches just havent posted in the thread...which seems highly unlikely.

BigAT

Instro said:
Oh yeah you should definitely just scratch their group at this point, unless they have already played some matches just havent posted in the thread...which seems highly unlikely.
I'm in agreement. If they can't take the time to get a single game in through 2 weeks, there's no way any of them deserve a spot above someone that is clearly more deserving.

BigAT said:
I'm in agreement. If they can't take the time to get a single game in through 2 weeks, there's no way any of them deserve a spot above someone that is clearly more deserving.

Yeah, I felt bad for missing a day of potential turns when I was playing. I kinda feel like the pools stage should have ended by week 1.

Tegris

Toma said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but havent you already played 2 games with each other?

No, I've played two games against Dutfish:

Game 1 (Dutfish (Green) vs Tegris (Red))

Dutfish: Win
Kills: 3
Deaths: 1

Tegris: Loss
Kills: 1
Deaths: 3

and

Game 2 (Dutfish (Green) vs Tegris (Red))

Kills: 4
Deaths: 1

Kills: 1
Deaths: 4

And two games against Dascu:

Game 1 (Dascu (Green) vs Tegris (Red))

Dascu: Win
Deaths: 0

Kills: 0

and

Game 2 (Dascu (Green) vs Tegris (Red))

Dascu: Loss
Kills: 2

Tegris: Win
Deaths: 2

I'm yet to finish a game against Eiskalt.

I think Broseybrose's withdrawl resulted in some mistakes in Group B (specifically, my results).

Toma

Spirit of Jazz said:
Yeah, I felt bad for missing a day of potential turns when I was playing. I kinda feel like the pools stage should have ended by week 1.

I am trying not to be too harsh about it since its about fun anyway, and some people cant stand more than one turn in one game a day.

But yeah, this group is about to get kicked off as soon as I found out whether there are any on going matches at all.

Toma

Tegris said:
No, I've played two games against Dutfish:

I just saw its me being stupid. Trying to hold those results in mind is a bad idea and makes you mad. Anyway, everything should be fine with yours now. If you find any specific mistake let me now, though.

And I apologize for any mistakes I've made, and any I am still about to do. Just in case.

Palmer_v1

Toma said:
I havent send out pm's to them up to now. I was sorta hoping everyone who had interest in the tourney would check the FS thread once in a while, I mean its almost two weeks now.
If I pm'd them now it might take another 2 weeks for them to finish their group, which is why I consider just cancelling their games alltogether to move to the k.o. phase.

Your opinion on this?

Edit: and dont overlook Inertia's post. You can also win by being 3rd now ;)

I don't have a problem with it.

Also, grats to Deraldin in group H. My matches against him were his first time in multi, but he's moving to the next phase with a 3-1 record.

Purchased this in the online sales and didn't even realise I got an extra copy. Up for grabs if anybody wants it or has a buddy who would like it.

Corto

Sorry to my group mates. I thought that my matches were already done (lost every single one of them hehehehe) and I was on a small holiday for the last 4 days. I will try to answer my challenges in a few hours though... Sorry for the inconvenience. :)

Toma

PjotrStroganov said:
I think it's about time people finished up their matches. I'm itching play on.

Yeah, I know, which is why I am slowly forcing the non-playing players out now.

Toma

EVERYONE TELL ME WHO ISNT RESPONDING TO HIS MATCH FOR MORE THAN 3 DAYS:

I'll write them a pm, and if they dont respond within another 2 days, the games are decided.

Code:
List of people pm'ed for MIA:

Vcassano (2 days left to respond)
kunu (2 days left to respond)
kryptikjoker (2 days left to respond)
Conceptor (2 days left to respond)
hmecey (2 days left to respond)
Label (2 days left to respond)
Updated, and public Service Reminder:

There are now prices to win! a steam game 5-10€ for the 1st and 3rd place, sponsored by me and Inertia respectively. Feel free to sponsor any price for any feat or position.

Additionally, we have now officially 2 open spots for the K.O. Phase. I'll determine the 2 best losers of the group phase for that.

Zomo

Exciting stuff :) I really hope Kunu has his go. Because if I win the match I should be going through. I'm kinda winning the match right now but it could still go either way.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
PjotrStroganov said:
I think it's about time people finished up their matches. I'm itching play on.

Well, you destroyed me Wed or yesterday. ;)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
PjotrStroganov said:
Haha, was surprised by the speed of it. Though it looked like you don't really use much 'continue on sight' and aiming while walking.

I'm terrible at the game. \o/ It's why I don't play multiplayer at all.

Corto

Me and Gerhalt just finished our last game. I won with 1 loss against 3. I tried to upload the video but though the game didn't gave me any error message when I entered my youtube account I had an error message stating that there was a conversion failure. Is there ant way to recover the video?

Kalnos

Banned
Corto said:
Me and Gerhalt just finished our last game. I won with 1 loss against 3. I tried to upload the video but though the game didn't gave me any error message when I entered my youtube account I had an error message stating that there was a conversion failure. Is there ant way to recover the video?

Go to match history and double click on the match, all match history is saved.

Also, n0b has responded and we have finished one match, but I don't know if everyone is going to want to wait. It has been like 2-3 days since his last turn and the first game took us about a week to finish because of that, I'm guessing this one will take like another 5-7 days. (Not to mention that n0b and Flayer haven't even begun their games against one another).

Zomo

Corto said:

Heres the vid for this game.

corto vs Gerhalt

corto (winner)
Killed: 3
Lost: 1

Gerhalt (Loser)
Killed: 1
Lost: 3

Atrophis

Toma said:
I am confused, the video shows a game against vcassano but you mentioned that Ultimo lost.
And have you seen -Mikey- or is he regarded MIA?

Sorry that was just me forgetting to change the post i copy-pasted. Its a win against vcassano (who can be taken off the afk list now).

I have played one game against -Mikey- that i should have already posted. Got the second game under way at the moment.

Group D

Atrophis vs Brazil game 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mVg8NlKims

Atrophis - Draw

Kills = 3
Deaths = 3

Brazil - Draw

Kills = 3
Deaths = 3

Morphis

898, sent you a PM, I've started our final match of the group phase.

That's also the only game I still have to play, after that I'm done with the group phase.

Toma

Dascu said:
Is Broseybrose accepted back into the tourney? If so, I played my two matches with him.
As soon as he made a list with all the games he played, I'll put him in again. Don't have the time to search the complete thread for his games ATM.

mug

Is there any way to back out of a game? I've been waiting for an opponent to make their move for a few days now and I'd like to just end the game.

Toma

mug said:
Is there any way to back out of a game? I've been waiting for an opponent to make their move for a few days now and I'd like to just end the game.

Nope, it should end automatically after a while but there might be a bug that leads to that not happening. You can hide the game though. I do this often with games that are incomplete.

fresquito

Group N

fresquito vs Conceptor

fresquito (loses)
kills: 1
deaths: 2

Conceptor (wins)
kills: 2
deaths: 1

fresquito vs hmecey

fresquito (wins)
kills: 4
deaths: 2

hmecey (loses)
kills: 2
deaths: 4

I don't seem to be able to upload videos :-/ If you're willing to upload them, thanks.

So far I've got 4 victories, 1 defeat and I'm yet to finish three games. Not bad so far. I expected much worse.

Broseybrose

Toma said:
As soon as he made a list with all the games he played, I'll put him in again. Don't have the time to search the complete thread for his games ATM.
Ok here's the list as it stands 7-25-11 5AM EST. Looks like Im gonna lose any way hehe. I still love this game and Im getting better at it. All thats left is my last game with Tegris. Score is at it appears in my match history. Do you need me to write down the kills /losses?

Eiskalt vs Broseybrose
Broseybrose: Loss
Eiskalt: Win
score: 10

Broseybrose vs Eiskalt
Broseybrose: In turn 4
Eiskalt: In turn 4
score: 0

Broseybrose vs Dutfish
score: -50

Broseybrose vs Dutfish
score: -30

Dascu vs Broseybrose
Dascu: Win
score: 60

Broseybrose vs Dascu
Broseybrose: Draw
Dascu: Draw

Broseybrose vs Tegris
Tegris: In turn 4

Broseybrose vs Tegris

Tegris

Broseybrose said:
Broseybrose vs Tegris
Tegris: In turn 4

I've finished this game now:

Tegris (green) vs Broseybrose (red) (despite what the video says...):

Tegris: Win
Deaths: 3

Kills: 3

Our last game is now in progress, as are both my games with Eiskalt, although he hasn't responded in about 3 days.

BTW Toma, my results still look a bit strange... I should be at 2 wins, 3 losses, with 10 kills and 16 deaths. :)

Sectus

After playing the game for quite a bit (Ive played around 100 matches total), there's some things which is starting to really bug me about the basics of the game. I'm curious what other people think.

-Camping. This is mainly about matches where you have machine gunners vs machine gunners only (although the same thing is possible if there's only shotguns guys left too). If you stand still in a small room where you can look at each entry point, absolutely nothing can kill you. Even if multiple guys enter the room at the same time, it's likely one machine gunner will multiple before dying.

It's annoying that such a simple tactic is undeniably the best one. And this type of situation isn't that uncommon. Sometimes you'll get matches where both sides have only machine gunners, or the match will evolve into a situation where both sides only has machine gunners left.

I'm not sure how this could be fixed, but there's probably multiple options. Maybe let each machine gunner spawn with a single flash grenade. Works like normal grenades except its range is shorter (both the throwing and explosive range), and instead of killing it stuns a unit for 1-2 seconds. That would be an effective way of reducing the advantage of camping.

-Micromanagement. Some certain type of orders is a hassle to set up. For instance if you want 2 or more units to move at the same in a turn (ie, they both move up to a wall independently, and then you want to them to enter a room at the same time), you'll need to fiddle with the timer until it's perfect for both units. Similar thing if you want repeated orders during the same turn (like a unit periodically ducking and standing, or periodically looking in 2 different directions).

I have no idea how to simplify those things though, but it would be a godsend to have some kind of UI function to make those kind of orders quicker to set up.

-"Late" grenades. This isn't a major issue, but I think it limits how you can use grenades. As far as I know, there's a set timer of 5 seconds after each grenade where you can't shoot any grenades. This means if you shoot a grenade very late in the turn, it won't explode in the same turn (making it very easy to avoid). It also means that you get the same problem next turn unless you decide to not fire at all for the full turn.

I think this limits what you can do with grenades as the only effective time to shoot grenades is early in a turn. Maybe they could consider resetting the 5 second down time (or reducing it) if it's at the start of a new turn.

-"Check". This is a very minor complaint, but what's the point of ever using it? The unit looks in the direction for way too long. And you can manually order a unit to look in a direction super fast instead. I think it'd work better if the check order only lasted 0.1s or so.

I wish the game was moddable as people could try to implement solutions to potential imbalances that way.

Edit: There's one more thing, which I'm guessing is a bug or flaw. Sometimes the simulation is not correct. I've had a few simulations where X kills Y, but after hitting the prime and the exact same orders happens, then Y kills X.

Top Bottom