• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frozen Synapse |OT| The Thinking Man's Shooter

Zomo

Sober said:
Same could be said about myself in our first game :p

Group O
tehsober vs. InertiaXR, game 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo1oAwVByOk

tehsober - 2 kills
InertiaXR - 1 kill

Do the last 5 seconds count? In that video it is my rocket killed while he kills Inertia's MG which is more of a turn 9 if-noone-makes-any-input thing. (the game technically ends and gave me a victory a second after my shotgunner kills his rocket)

Toma only counts games up to 40 seconds because thats the actual result. When the game goes to turn 8 the video shows what would have happened if there were an extra turn. Only count what happens until the end of turn 8 which is 40 seconds.

mclaren777

I have no desire to play this game, but I'm guessing that epic battles are rather fun to watch.

Are there any must-see videos floating around on Youtube?

Confidence Man said:
Do you remember who that was against, by any chance? I've run into a couple people that do this (group all their soldiers together in the same spot, move them all together, etc..)
Yeah, it was our third and last match with welford.

BTW, James-ape, are you gonna upload it to youtube or not?

Picked this up today on the strength of the comments in this thread and on the back of edges review (my first purchase on Steam aswell!) Looking forward to getting involved in some online action but is the general consensus in here that I should go through atleast some of the single player first before diving into the Multiplayer?

Looking forward to giving it a go tonight though and if there are any beginner uk players about that fancy a game at some point i'd be interested in playing.

awanderingsoul said:
Picked this up today on the strength of the comments in this thread and on the back of edges review (my first purchase on Steam aswell!) Looking forward to getting involved in some online action but is the general consensus in here that I should go through atleast some of the single player first before diving into the Multiplayer?

Looking forward to giving it a go tonight though and if there are any beginner uk players about that fancy a game at some point i'd be interested in playing.

No, not at all. Go through the tutorial though. Most intricacies of the gameplay are much better learned online.

awanderingsoul said:

Not at all, jumping right into multiplayer is the way to go. It's where the game is at it's best.

Read the tips linked in the tourney post. The tutorial will explain almost everything but it leaves out a few vital pieces like ducking rockets to hit cover, placing orders on top of the wait time line, holding v to see a line of sight and some others. Most aren't essential (crouched rockets hitting cover definitely is) but they're all useful.

Good luck :)

Kalnos

Banned
Group C: Game 1

Rhinoceros:
WIN
Killed: 4
Lost: 0

n0b:
LOSE
Killed: 0
Lost: 4

Felt lame, but I felt I had pretty good positions with a 3 shotgun game..

Group M

I'm back, and friggles is down to pad your stats if you're game!

Currently responding to the first 4 games in progress...

killrdht.gif

Nishastra said:
First was the worst I've ever done. Everything I attempted to do went wrong. I'm happy about killing the shotgunner, though.

Second was the opposite. Everything I did worked perfectly :p
I felt pretty awesome about that first one, even if I got cocky with the shotgunner.

That second game though... man. I blame my rocket guy & his mystery shot.

Your mind games got to him.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Toma said:
Yeah I was about to announce that:

EVERYONE TELL ME WHO ISNT RESPONDING TO HIS MATCH FOR MORE THAN 3 DAYS:

I'll write them a pm, and if they dont respond within another 2 days, the games are decided.

Code:
List of people pm'ed for MIA:

Finjitzu (1 day left to respond)
Anilusion (2 days left to respond)

Updated that list.

cackhyena

Can someone help me? I'm having trouble when starting up FS. It completely saturates my screen to the point of everything being so dark, I have to restart my computer. Is this a known problem? It's only with this game it seems.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Great, the spreadsheet gives me a server error. Hope the spreadsheet isnt dead now and will be back later.

Toma

Agent Icebeezy said:
This game sounds awesome. Is there a demo to check out?

Unfortunately not.. but if you like what you see and hear, you probably arent going to be disappointed.

But yeah, no demo is a bit stupid.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, count me out of that tournament, I'll be drunk tomorrow, away the weekend afterwards and haven't even completed one real match yet. I don't think I'll be up for anything the next few days, and I don't want to stop the whole tournament :)

I'll practice until next time, though!

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Group M

- Myke Greywolf vs. Friggles, match 1
-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FUcIrrpLTs
-- Friggles wins, with 4 kills and 2 losses.
-- Things got ugly for me when my #1 didn't perform his disengage order, and got shot. From then on, it was all downhill.

- Myke Greywolf vs. Friggles, match 2
-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3HrURDe5nE (sorry fot the chat box)
-- Draw (2 kills and 2 losses for each side)
-- Typical rocket fest ending, with no side managing to eliminate the other.

Nishastra

Banned
Myke Greywolf said:
Typical rocket fest ending, with no side managing to eliminate the other.
Yeah, gotta be careful not to lose your non-rocket guys, since rocket guys eventually lose the ability to kill each other :p

Myke Greywolf said:
- Myke Greywolf vs. Friggles, match 2
-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3HrURDe5nE (sorry fot the chat box)
-- Draw (2 kills and 2 losses for each side)
-- Typical rocket fest ending, with no side managing to eliminate the other.
That chat box and I sure had a shootout, and I can't believe you threaded the needle with that opening rocket. Nice shot.

Good games & thanks for the upload, I can't get the YouTube export to work online or offline :/

fresquito

fresquito vs WHOaguitarninja: fresquito wins. 3 kills, 0 losses.

I uploaded the video, but it's not working, I don't know why. I hope WHOaguitarninja can upload it. BTW, thanks for the game, I'll challenge you again in no time.

Zomo

fresquito said:
fresquito vs WHOaguitarninja: fresquito wins. 3 kills, 0 losses.

I uploaded the video, but it's not working, I don't know why. I hope WHOaguitarninja can upload it. BTW, thanks for the game, I'll challenge you again in no time.

Edit: fresquito vs WHOaguitarninja

fresquito (winner)
3 Kills
0 Losses

WHOaguitarninja (loser)
0 Kills
3 Losses

Hanzou

You can add Corto from Group K to the MIA list although since neither him nor I can make it to the next round the match is not necessary.

Volodja

I've finished my matches against korei8.

Match 1:

korei8
Loss
Units Killed: 0
Units Lost: 3

Volodja
Win
Units Killed: 3
Units Lost: 0

Match 2:

korei8
Loss
Units Killed: 1
Units Lost: 4

Volodja
Win
Units Killed: 4
Units Lost: 1

The matches are respectively number 133430 and number 137809 but I don't have a youtube account to upload them.

My last match against Anilusion is also basically over but he hasn't played his turn yet, as soon as it's over I'll post the results for both our matches.

fresquito

It looks like I've won my first match against Toma. There's a turn still lingering, but no matter what, he dies (a shot is right before his head).

Great game Toma.

Edit: Now it's official

fresquito (wins) Vs. TomaLexi (loses).

fresquito
Killed: 3
Losses: 1

TomaLexi
Killed: 1
Loses: 3

Video won't work. I don't know what's happening with videos. I've uploaded a handfull of them, some work, some don't.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
:lol I love committing suicide with rockets after losing two people in the first turn because I can't get out of terrible spawns without machine guns having long line of sights or rockets hitting my spawn and taking my two machine gunners out.

So... amazing.

Why am I playing the multiplayer? I'm terrible at it!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Nishastra said:
Uhh... Hmm.

Looks like something went wrong with the video export :p

No, that's actually how the turn played out. :lol We're still in the middle of the game, but the preview has neither of us winning the round.

fresquito

Second round against TomaLexi is over as well (I hope he uploads the video).

fresquito Vs. TomaLexi

fresquito (wins)
kills: 4
loses: 0

TomaLexi (loses)
kills: 0
loses: 4

I never expected to do this good ^__^

Nishastra

Banned
TheSeks said:
No, that's actually how the turn played out. :lol We're still in the middle of the game, but the preview has neither of us winning the round.
Ah, so then it's like what happened to my first game with n8BitMan, where the game is just screwed.

The game shows as complete in your match history, and does indeed end in round 2 if I load it.

Here's what it looks like for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Do3W-6A5OA

Toma

Anilusion officially conceded his matches, and woohoo the spreadsheet is working for me again as well.

Updated everything so far.

executesk7c.gif

Group M

▼

friggles vs. cr_blah_blah, game 1 #132574

friggles (win)
3 kills | 1 loss

cr_blah_blah (loss)
1 kills | 3 losses

I got a lucky spawn: two of cr_blah_blah's dudes in my rocketeers sights. With his lone machine gunner vaporized in turn 1, the match was mine.

▼

friggles vs. cr_blah_blah, game 2 #127810

friggles (win)
4 kills | 0 losses

cr_blah_blah (loss)
0 kills | 4 losses

I got another ridiculously lucky spawn here: everyone into cover and the shotgunner behind a doorway. Don't know how cr_blah_blah could have successfully assaulted me. Good games dude, sorry I had the shine.

▼

friggles vs. snoopeasystreet, game 1 #136002

friggles (win)
3 kills | 0 losses

snoopeasystreet (loss)
0 kills | 3 losses

Interesting game, my machine gunner #1 really earned his paycheck. Dude was untouchable.

▼

friggles vs. snoopeasystreet, game 2 #143858

friggles (win)
4 kills | 2 losses

snoopeasystreet (loss)
2 kills | 4 losses

Snoops nimble machine gunner foiled my opening. My initial plan ruined, I kept my gunners in cover and used the rocketeer to open new sight lines. Good games man.

Sorry for the lack of vids, YT export seems boned on my laptop.

Soktos

Not sure if n0b posted this or not:

Group C
Game 1: Soktos vs. n0b
n0b wins. Lost 2 men, 2 survives.
Soktos lost. Lost 3 men, 1 survives.

Was a hard fought battle, and lasts until turn 8.

At least I can say I am slowly getting the hang of the game. Still loving it!

Top Bottom