• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fuller House |OT| A Netflix Original Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
I soooo have to start watching this tonight. I am glad that once they decided to bring it back that the producers and team did such a good job of keeping the quality up... or at least not making the show a complete cash in/cash out.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
good lord it's TURN IT OFF bad.

I asked my wife to promise to never watch it again and she agreed and I caught her watching episode 2 pretty much immediately that day.

GOD this show is terrible.

good lord it's TURN IT OFF bad.

I asked my wife to promise to never watch it again and she agreed and I caught her watching episode 2 pretty much immediately that day.

GOD this show is terrible.
As we just spent a whole page discussing, the first episode isn't representative of the show as a whole. Everyone who made it past the first episode has liked what they saw. I would consider giving it another shot, or at a minimum, not trying to control what entertainment your wife chooses to consume.

Tigress

Wait, what? It makes no sense for it to be literally the same apartment; it was school housing that they left in the finale of Boy because they were no longer students.

(Forgive off topic reply; haven't had a chance to start Fuller House yet but hope to be in that conversation soon.)

If you look st it, it's the same apartment dressed up. To be fair maybe it isn't supposed to represent the same apartment and they just used the same set and dressed it up hoping to make it look different and people wouldn't notice. But they failed then cause it still just looked like the same apartment just fixed up. You know, I'm just going to believe that cause that's less bothersome then them wanting me to believe they are in the same apartment but fixed up.

Tigress

You should have seen past episode 1. You'd realize how silly your post is.

I'm withholding my judgement on the whole series until I see a few episodes. Though the first episode was bad and I'm allowed to say that after watching it (and I love cheesy sitcoms). I was responding to some one who didn't want to watch it if it didn't have the three original adults and I was using the pilot episode as to why it's good they are just going to be guest stars. Read my post in context thankyouverymuch.

Matticers

I just watched the first two episodes and... it's pretty good. I like it. Some lame or cringe worthy lines at times but that is to be expected from a show like this. It's still pretty humorous overall. I like what I see enough to watch the rest of the episodes.

For some reason, I thought Kimmy would be one of bad parts of this show but she has to be one of the better parts of it. I didn't think her character would fit in or "age well" or whatever but it still works. The little brother's bad acting is great too. I like that kid. And the show needs more Steve so hopefully he's around more.

If you only watched the first episode of this and turned it off because you didn't like the constant nostalgia train, give at least the second episode a chance. Personally, I didn't mind the first episode and it was cool to see them all again but I can see why some people would hate that.

Davey Cakes

I actually enjoyed the pilot, as "forced" as some of the nostalgia seemed to be. Had some laugh out loud moments even.

If it gets better then I guess I'll continue watching. Never would've thought I'd be on board like this, but here we are.

Penguin

With the first episode, I believe a reviewer nailed it... it's the series finale that the show never properly got.

It's the adults moving on with their lives... even if it doesn't make as much sense since seem like stunted for like 20 years

Tobor

Second season seems like a no brainer at this point. Everyone I know IRL and on line is talking about this and watching it.

It's safe to say Netflix has another big hit on its hands. ABC executives must be furious they didn't get this.

I feel like I'm in an alternate universe. This is really, really bad. Like unwatchably bad. Oh well, this is all subjective and I'm glad other people are enjoying it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I was planning on watching the entire season, but I'm not sure if I can go on after the pilot. On the other hand, Jesse & co not being there constantly could be a good way to let the show breathe. May check out a few more eps this evening.

border

It's safe to say Netflix has another big hit on its hands. ABC executives must be furious they didn't get this.

I'm not sure if this show would really work on broadcast television. This kind of comfort food nostalgia is something people want to sit down and binge on for a Saturday afternoon.....not watch week after week at a specific time on a specific day. The show just launched so of course there's online buzz, but it can't sustain itself over the course of a television season.

Slacker

Watched five episodes, and I'm with the people on the hate side of the fence. It's decently acted, but it's so formulaic, silly, and contrived. I personally haven't found it funny at all.

And call me Mr. Fuddy Duddy but I think it's way too risqué for a supposed family show. Who is this for? The non-stop cheesy jokes make it seem like it's for kids, but there are a lot of jokes I would not like to try to explain to my young'ns. It's like a vegetarian place handing out free steak with every purchase. I understand the idea of including some humor for the adults, but (again just my opinion) it's too much here.

Somewhere out there I can picture the conversation after the plumber scene in episode 5. (not a plot spoiler, just explaining the joke)
"Mommy, why was that man confused?" "Well honey remember how in episode 1 you asked me why Aunt Becky was tired from the night before and I explained how Uncle Jesse crawled up on her and went to town? Well, in this episode, that man came over to do the same thing to DJ, but she thought he was a plumber there to fix the toilet. So when she said to get started on the toilet, she was talking about him fixing it. But of course, he wasn't the plumber and didn't know that, so he thought maybe she wanted him to sit on the toilet while she put his weenie in her mouth. I'm so glad we have something to watch together as a family!"

The only bright spot is Jodie Sweeney, who actually seems to have some genuine acting talent. Otherwise the whole mess is a big thumbs down from me.

Tobor

I'm not sure if this show would really work on broadcast television. This kind of comfort food nostalgia is something people want to sit down and binge on for a Saturday afternoon.....not watch week after week at a specific time on a specific day. The show just launched so of course there's online buzz, but it can't sustain itself over the course of a television season.

Yeah, thats certainly part of it. That said, I still think network execs are kicking themselves. Jeff Franklin agrees with me.

Interview with the creator said:
“I knew that this kind of excitement was going to be there, but nobody else seemed to get it,” he continues. “I was pitching to networks that ‘Full House’ reruns were beating every night — we were airing 40 times a week and getting millions and millions of viewers. For some reason, a whole bunch of networks didn’t understand the hunger that was out there for this show. It was baffling me. Netflix finally stepped up, and that’s why it’s happening now. It could have happened seven years or eight years ago, but it didn’t.”

Reflecting on the announcement that broke the Internet (when news of “Fuller House” leaked this past April, the show was trending on Twitter and Facebook for days) with a laugh, the creator says: “I hate to say, ‘I told you so,’ but at every single pitch meeting I’ve had over the years, I’ve tried to explain to the buyers how much excitement there would be for this show. This was the biggest no-brainer of all time, and they didn’t get it. I’m sure they’re looking back thinking, ‘Wow, maybe we should have thought about that a little more closely.'”

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/fuller-house-netflix-jeff-franklin-interview-1201715028/

Maybe this is just the way it is now, though. Netflix can do a better job than a traditional network at gauging interest in something like this. They have better data, better marketing, they don't need to sell ads, and binging lends itself well to nostalgia projects(to your point).

I'd rather any project like this I care about wind up at Netflix at this point.

Penguin

This show seems to have an oddly high number of dance sequences

I can think of at least 4 so far and only on episode 10...

Neverwas

i remember the originals saccharine sweetness grating my nerves growing up, but this is apparently just the right amount of nostalgia and meta humor.
that alanis morissette joke lol

RBH

I've watched the first 5 episodes, and I'm enjoying it.

It's an easy watch, and it feels good to experience a family sitcom in this day and age.

Just finished the last 4 episodes this morning.

Steve pretty much steals the show the last half of the season. Even Jackson got a little less generic, but J-Money got some honey!

Max and Cosmo are seriously hilarious, there were a few scenes with them that had me in tears last night. Cant believe people are judging the show off the first episode. Feels good to watch a 90s style sitcom again.

Bladenic

While I enjoyed the first episode, it kinda seemed almost like a self-parody at parts, like the 4th wall break. Kimmie and Steph are the highlights so far, but Rebecca was charming as ever.

lenovox1

This would have done well on and for ABC Family with the exact same humor. Makes me wonder why they would have invested sooner.

2 episodes in, the kid who plays Max is really funny. Classic sitcom character that writes itself really.

Yeah that kid owns. Nicest surprise is that all the kids are pretty solid. Max being the standout of course. Classic middle child champion.

Stephanie was the best in the original too.

Meowster

Just finished the first episode and there were a few cringey moments but I do like watching it. The three ladies are a great choice to revolve the show around. They are similar to the original three men but I think the dynamic is really strong between the three and unique in its own way. Kimmy is as great as ever.

daemonic

Banned
Show isn't for me. The first couple episodes were cringe worthy and the plots are so nonsensical. It's like I'm watching a kids show on the Disney channel but then they oddly inject adult themed jokes at random times.

The female cast is also painfully overdressed in every scene. With all the excessive makeup and jewellery, it's as if they're constantly attempting to prove how attractive they are. Honestly this would have been better suited as a one time reunion skit, not a full-fledged show.

God I just love Jodie Sweetin so much. She's so amazing.

Omg Danny's Sofa Blazer in Episode 8. Stephanie re-confirmed best sister

Pilgrimzero

So did Joey and the original dad just never get married or something?

Though I can see that happening for Joey since he's a 50 year old man who wears onesie pajamas.

border

This would have done well on and for ABC Family with the exact same humor. Makes me wonder why they would have invested sooner.

The reason this show has the buzz it does is because it's on a totally ubiquitous international service like Netflix. Everybody has an account (or is borrowing one from a friend) and logs in on a weekly or daily basis. How many people actively tune in to ABC Family or some other random family-friendly cable network? Would you even know what channel number it was if you wanted to watch?

That's not to say that the show wouldn't have been a good pickup for Nickelodeon, ABC Family, or Disney Channel......but it certainly gains the broadest possible audience on Netflix IMO. If it were dumped on basic cable it probably would have just been another Girl Meets World that not a lot of people took notice of.

JSevere

Enjoying this so far, it's unfiltered 90s cheese. The whole cast just seems like they're having fun doing this, and even the kid characters are adorable.

I finished the pilot and that was enough. 2 things:

Whats up with Dannys voice? Sagats voice sounds totally differen.

And Jodie Sweetins boobs. Howd that dress get approval for Full House? Wow!

border

Show isn't for me. The first couple episodes were cringe worthy and the plots are so nonsensical. It's like I'm watching a kids show on the Disney channel but then they oddly inject adult themed jokes at random times.

I don't really know what to make of all the dirty jokes and double entendres (and the occaisional sexy outfits for the leading female characters). Stephanie's dress in the pilot was way, way too much.

A lot of that stuff seems really bizarre, out of place, and off-tone. At the same time, it's mostly adults who are interested in this show and it feels kind of appropriate for them to slide in some humor for parents that will go over a kids' head. My memory of Full House though is that they never did that sort of thing at all though.....sex was never even implied in this slightest of ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom