• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fuller House |OT| A Netflix Original Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
genuinely shocked by how much I enjoyed this first season (and by how much of the original show I actually remembered). focusing more on the women in season 2 would be for the best honestly. the kids are fine but the best moments of the show so far have definitely been the adult stuff.

oh and Candace Cameron >>>>>

Slacker

This was the scene I was talking about. Best part of the whole series. I was laughing for a good 60 seconds.

https://youtu.be/HxeAF_xiWlk

I'm old enough to know that humor is very very subjective, but I have to admit, the positive reaction to this show is baffling to me. There are no jokes in this clip. I'm Stephanie, I have big boobs. You could take the laugh track out of this clip and put in one of those sitcom sad "aww" noises and it would work as well or better.

I'm glad the show seems to be finding an audience as I do think these are talented actors, but it's just not for me. The only enjoyment I've gotten out of it is watching a couple of my super-conservative friends get mad on Facebook after they discovered how risqué the show is while watching with their kids. Candace had been their conservative Christian hero, but no so much any more.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
the glove slap has been my favourite laugh out loud moment so far

28fffb29ce.gif

daydream

Banned
watched the first episode and could barely stay interested. i really have a hard time understanding how i endured four episodes of the original back-to-back as a kid

Crazyorloco

It's corny, but im loving it. I like that the show knows the audience (old fans). My GF cried at the end of the first episode. I hope there will be a season 2.

mrkgoo

In on episode 12 and really liking it. I mean sure it's lame and cheesy as was the fashion at the time, but there are some genuine laughs and moments.

I actually really liked Jackson.

So how about saved by the Bell. Mark and ac look fine and barley look older than thier college ages. I imagine Lisa and jess look good too and not sure on the rest. Obviously screech won't make it but I assume a new need is easy to find along with some beef cakes.

Could a Married With Children revival work using the Netflix model? Most of the cast have gone on record as saying they'd be open to it. Get some talented writers behind a 12 episode season. It could be the flipside of Fuller House for those who aren't hip to the wholesome fare offered on that show.

strafer

Could a Married With Children revival work using the Netflix model? Most of the cast have gone on record as saying they'd be open to it. Get some talented writers behind a 12 episode season. It could be the flipside of Fuller House for those who aren't hip to the wholesome fare offered on that show.

Nah, Al Bundys jokes wouldn't fly today and without those the show is nothing.

Lingitiz

Finished in a day. Liked it a lot after the first episode. Found the cast to be really endearing and the relationships between everyone in the house well developed through the course of the episodes. Looking forward to season 2 which I hope isn't too far off.

Calcium

Banned
I knocked out 9-10 episodes in my initial sitting, but I have no interest in going back to view the rest. I think I might be done. Thanks for the trip down memory lane at least, Fuller House.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

I don't think most of the jokes would work.

And have most the cast said they'd be up for it? Most of them have done really well for themselves since Married with Children. I don't know if they could get them all back. Fuller House benefited from a cast that was pretty much doing nothing.

It really was a perfect set up for them that I don't know if they could replicate.

I doubt they could bring back Roseanne. Roseanne would want full control probably, and that really hurt the show in the later seasons. Lots of bridges were burned in that last episode too.

They might be able to bring back Home Improvement. I wouldn't mind seeing Grandpa Tim Taylor.

Family Matters could probably be brought back, but the show is close enough to Full House that it might feel too repetitive.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I can barely remember Family Matters toward the end. Didn't it get really out there?

Yeah, not a lot of people saw the final season anyway. Family Matters and Step by Step got moved from ABC to CBS in their final seasons. I think it ended with Urkel in space, might have even been a cliffhanger. I can't remember. I know that Laura and Steve finally got together.

Family Matters was always super weird for a family sitcom. It was grounded early on and then they just went nuts with the sci-fi elements. Clones, robots, time travel, personality formulas.

Tigress

I can barely remember Family Matters toward the end. Didn't it get really out there?

Don't get me started. And then the BS that all the sudden Laura falls for Steve just threw me over the edge. Yeah, let's show people that endlessly harassing some one who keeps outright telling you no works in the end. And it made no sense.. She just magically goes head over heels for him cause they wanted her too.

Wasn't there a bunch of odd behind the scenes stuff too, like characters getting recast for the final season? Wonder if too many bridges were burned for a reunion to happen.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Even Dukes of Hazzard started doing stories with aliens.

"Visitahs!" as Boss Hogg said.

Goliath

Have to say, I was really impressed with the show. It was funny to me with all my nostalgia and even my wife enjoyed it who had no real memories of the original series. Was a little disappointed with the love triangle story arc though and the final episode.
I mean she is a single mom actively hooking up and stringing along two guys at the same time. They only know of each other by accident and that didn't stop it. Then on the final episode she promises to decided between them only to chose "herself" which basically means dating and stringing these guys along for even more episodes. Man they made guys look bad on this series. None of the guys have enough self esteem to say, screw you? One gives away 50% of his company to a girl he isn't even dating exclusively and the other just chases her like a puppy dog. I hope they lay off of this next season or at least allow them to find someone else. Maybe let Steph get Max.

gazele

Banned
Can't say I have a lot of nostalgia for the original but after watching all but the finale, the best part is the little boy, really like him, the older brother is pretty terrible though

I really want to know what makes this so good? It's not just nostalgia either.

It's almost unanimous at work too, everyone loves it and some of these dudes are hard asses.

I can't stop watching it's so refreshing

jman2050

Yeah, not a lot of people saw the final season anyway. Family Matters and Step by Step got moved from ABC to CBS in their final seasons. I think it ended with Urkel in space, might have even been a cliffhanger. I can't remember. I know that Laura and Steve finally got together.

Family Matters was always super weird for a family sitcom. It was grounded early on and then they just went nuts with the sci-fi elements. Clones, robots, time travel, personality formulas.

It's such a weird relic, I'm not even sure how it got to the point it did. It started as The Not-Cosby Show and then turned into a literal cartoon series.

Honestly looking back, it was kind of charming in a way, a show trying to marry a grounded lesson-of-the-week 90's Sitcom format with constant total nonsense. The writers definitely had some fun with it, that's for sure.

Kevtones

This show just feels so good. The nostalgia is real but the writing and story are just on-point as hell.

Too many fucking dance numbers lol.

scoobs

Wait are you guys actually really positive on this show? All the reviews have been real bad, maybe I should give it a try?

Wait are you guys actually really positive on this show? All the reviews have been real bad, maybe I should give it a try?

The pilot is really cringy.. It finds its footing after that. Did you enjoy full house at all? This show has some kind of weird "make you feel like a kid again" magic mixed with modern sitcom humor and it all works.

You feel like an asshole laughing at the jokes at first, like that shit was so lame I shouldn't laugh at that, then you let go of your cynicism and realize the show knows this shit is corny.. that's the point it's Full House.

Oh and the woman in this show are fine as hell.

The only things that aggressively sucked were the pilot and when Jesse sings to Becky (in the pilot and elsewhere). Some other bits can be lame, but that's mostly where I cringed. Everything else was enjoyable.

scoobs

The pilot is really cringy.. It finds its footing after that. Did you enjoy full house at all? This show has some kind of weird "make you feel like a kid again" magic mixed with modern sitcom humor and it all works.

You feel like an asshole laughing at the jokes at first, like that shit was so lame I shouldn't laugh at that, then you let go of your cynicism and realize the show knows this shit is corny.. that's the point it's Full House.

Ahhh now I understand. I did see that grown up DJ Tanner is an absolute babe.

dejay

Banned

I watched half the pilot (if that) and noped it out of there. I might give it another shot.

I watched half the pilot (if that) and noped it out of there. I might give it another shot.

Maybe watch episode 2 and 3 and see if things grow on you. I can understand why critics don't like it. At the same time I feel like this show has captured that TGIF magic that sitcoms today have lost. I have been laughing pretty hard at some of the jokes, Kimmy continues to crack me up.

Here's the thing, it's not a great show in the same sense that Daredevil or House of Cards are great shows--but it's important to remember it's not trying to be. The charm of the original was that it was a--at times--campy story about a big family with a healthy dose of lesson learning and on the nose character growth. It was cheesy, it was at times predictable, but it had a very charming cast that experienced real problems and were in a real "we'll make it work" situation.

The problem as I see it, is people are directly comparing it to modern family sitcoms--this show is less Malcolm in the Middle or Modern Family, and more Boy Meets World. It's a healthy dose of nostalgia, with a focus on showing a difference between the two generations. The first episode is literally just drawing parallels and showing each versions equivalent characters. The second episode is where it finally starts expanding on the actual characters, and by the third episode they have started to really build.

I think of the few episodes I've watched, Episode 3 is really the most important. The way it shows
Joey at first being out of touch with the kids, and eventually locking up their electronics
is really important for getting how they approach the show, and also starts the ball rolling on building up
DJ\Steph\Kimmy as the new group to focus on
. The show continues to find a nice balance between the After School Special feel of the original show and building up the characters in a way that definitely outshines the original. One of my favorite scenes so far was
Kimmy explaining how she couldn't punish Ramona because she didn't want Ramona to hate her and run off to her father--DJ finally drops it on her that "You're her mother, not her BFF"
. It was incredibly cheesy, but also very endearing.

Also you know, Jodie Sweetin is my new crush.

Just watched episode 3 and all I've got to say is goddamn is DJ smoking hot in that dress!!!!!!! Much hotter at 39 than she ever was at her late teens/early 20s!

Kevtones

I'd say Fuller House is a wise show. It knows what it is, says all the right things, and manages to surprise you before telling you something you already know and wish you had known.

I really want to know what makes this so good? It's not just nostalgia either.

It's almost unanimous at work too, everyone loves it and some of these dudes are hard asses.

I can't stop watching it's so refreshing

Everything is cynical and real these days. So this stands in contrast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom