• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Funny (Old) Nintendo quotes about GCN and GBA on IGN Cube tonight

ManaByte

Gold Member
http://cube.ign.com/articles/556/556814p1.html

June 2000; former Nintendo president Hiroshi Yamauchi

[The Dolphin] will have a function to access the Internet. We are entering the market as a latecomer so the console will have to outperform Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 2. We are planning to introduce an Internet business next March or April. The first step will be online sales of a brand new type of Pokemon cards.

[Game Boy Advance's] performance will be similar to that of the Dreamcast.

# November 2000

Q: What about Internet games?

Hiroshi Yamauchi: There are people who are in fact enjoying Internet games, and I'm sure they are enjoying them, but in the end, this is a fad thing. We don't think that this will turn into a multiplying game genre. There are reports that only a portion of the many Net games are actually selling, and that this is only a phase. We wouldn't bet our company's luck on such games.

February 2004; Hiroshi Yamauchi

I have been saying this for some time, but customers are not interested in grand games with higher-quality graphics and sound and epic stories.

olimario

Banned
Nintendo says the focus needs to be brought back to games that are simple in design and that are consistantly fun. A new age tetris, if you will.
They're working to do this with the NDS and the Revolution, but they know that those can't be the only titles they make. You will still see Zelda and Metroid titles out of Nintendo. Grand adventures with cutting edge graphics and great story lines.

yamauchismall.jpg

Aaaah... Yamauchi. How we've missed your crazy crazy talk...

ferricide

Che said:
Yamauchi really pisses me off sometimes with his infinite stupidity.
stupid? no. stubborn? yes.

i would love to see a breakdown of just who's profiting -- and how much -- off of online gaming. sure, SOE, square enix, and NCsoft are raking in the cash, but the bit players? what about them?

ManaByte

Gold Member
ferricide said:

i would love to see a breakdown of just who's profiting -- and how much -- off of online gaming. sure, SOE, square enix, and NCsoft are raking in the cash, but the bit players? what about them?

I don't know about Squeenix or NCsoft in the US (I know whoever handles Lineage in Korea is rolling in the cash, Lineage II ain't doing so well here), but the only MMORPG company making a profit that I know of is Mythic (which is why they can easily give out free months for people referring others to the game). And they've made a profit each year for the three years DAoC has been out. SOE has only had one profitable month since EQ launched.

SOE rakes in the cash from EQ, but that money is put into the ungodly expensive development of EQII and games like PlanetSide, EQOA, and stuff they are working on in secret.

Che

Banned
ferricide said:

If THAT:

I have been saying this for some time, but customers are not interested in grand games with higher-quality graphics and sound and epic stories.

...doesn't show stupidity what does? I know people are just calling him stubborn (there's a trend) but I consider him a pure and plain idiot.

Yamauchi is my idol. I respect him very much. He doesn't budge on his agenda unless HE says so. And he'll just piss in your mouth and fuck your wife while you're tied to the chair watching because he doesn't give a shit. This man, I respect. I admire. I will become.

Socreges

Banned
Yamauchi's problem, besides being stubborn, is that he has a very Japan-centric perspective.

But Manabyte, post full quotes:

I have been saying this for some time, but customers are not interested in grand games with higher-quality graphics and sound and epic stories. Cutting-edge technologies and multiple functions do not necessarily lead to more fun. The excessively hardware-oriented way of thinking is totally wrong, but manufacturers are just throwing money at developing higher-performance hardware.

If you put "only" between 'not' and 'interested', he starts to make much more sense. Otherwise he contradicts himself in the second sentence by qualifying with "not necessarily".

Where's the quote where old Hiroshi was apolgozing for the available line-up, but said they were working on a game that was amazing and revolutionary (They can't release any information, of course, because it would be stolen before they released it) and he was just hoping Nintendo could be competitive till they were able to release this? Because it would change everything. I think this quote was early in the launch and I've never seen anything that even comes close to this (Unless the project was scrapped and formed the basis for Revolution).

Edit: And even though this logic was used for not showing SMS, the actual quote made it sound like it was an original project and had nothing to do with any known franchises.

olimario said:
Nintendo says the focus needs to be brought back to games that are simple in design and that are consistantly fun. A new age tetris, if you will.
They're working to do this with the NDS and the Revolution, but they know that those can't be the only titles they make. You will still see Zelda and Metroid titles out of Nintendo. Grand adventures with cutting edge graphics and great story lines.

I love Nintendo as much as you do, and unlike you I did not get an Xbox :D
but you must agree the quotes are shameful and sad just to be a Nintendo fan

Pellham

Banned
...doesn't show stupidity what does? I know people are just calling him stubborn (there's a trend) but I consider him a pure and plain idiot.

What, because he's saying that people are sick of Final Fantasy-like games? Because he's saying that people are fed up with the biggest and best graphics that you can push? Maybe he's right. Isn't the video games market stagnating in Japan? There's a reason for it, you know.

Firest0rm

Che said:
If THAT:

He's still right, prime example Enter the Matrix or any of the many worthless 3rd party trash that consumers go for. They prove that you don't need the best graphics and the most grand game to sell.

jarrod

Banned
Insertia said:
:lol
Nintendo doesn't exaggerate the power of their hardware.
Well they can't control crazy Yamauchi... but at least they're honest on spec sheets, using real world, in game figures.

Link316

Banned
Pellham said:
What, because he's saying that people are sick of Final Fantasy-like games? Because he's saying that people are fed up with the biggest and best graphics that you can push? Maybe he's right.

I guess he is because more people bought the PS2 instead of the GC

Pellham said:
Isn't the video games market stagnating in Japan? There's a reason for it, you know.

its just Nintendo's marketshare that's stagnating

Link316 said:
I guess he is because more people bought the PS2 instead of the GC

"Meanwhile the Japanese firms can no longer rely on their home market to quickly recoup their investments in new games: console-software sales have shrunk from $3.4 billion in 1998 to $2.2 billion last year, a 35 percent drop. "We need the U.S. in order to be profitable," says Namco vice president Yoichi Haraguchi."

No. The entire market is in the crapper. 35 percent drop in the entire Japan market in the last 6 years is horrible. People are becoming disallusioned with games and how boring they are. I guess if Japan weren't such a one console country they might not be so jaded, but that's not really the point. The point is, the market sucks.

Deku Tree

Link316 said:

Here are some JPN console software sales numbers from MSNBC:

console-software sales have shrunk from $3.4 billion in 1998 to $2.2 billion last year, a 35 percent drop. "We need the U.S. in order to be profitable," says Namco vice president Yoichi Haraguchi.

Any1

Video games industry as a whole has been growing over the last 5 years. This holiday is gauranteed to be the biggest we have ever seen.

Yet Nintendos console market share decreases at an alarming rate. My, how the mighty have fallen. Maybe Ninty can turn it around and the Revolution will be their 1st console (since the NES) to actually make market share gains.

Che

Banned
Pellham said:
What, because he's saying that people are sick of Final Fantasy-like games? Because he's saying that people are fed up with the biggest and best graphics that you can push? Maybe he's right. Isn't the video games market stagnating in Japan? There's a reason for it, you know.

Last time I checked Final Fantasies were selling like crazy. What pisses me off is that he's not saying his opinion he's dictating what others should do.

Leviathan

Banned
Nintendo is smart.

GBA is the 800 pound gorilla of handheld gaming.

DS is the most innovative portable console ever created.

Gamecube is profitable.

Nintendo's profits are increasing.

Profits > everything.

Money talks.

Bullshit walks.

Yamauchi is a billionaire pimp.

jarrod

Banned
Link316 said:
No, it's actually the whole market, PS2 included. GBA software's doing better than GBC/WSC/NGPC were though I think.

Geez, and some of you people call Yamauchi stubborn.

Don't call Yamauchi stupid though, if it wasn't sure him the industry wouldn't be where it is today. He is a very smart business man. Business men don't always see things clearly as a consumer who wants everything for nothing. So shut the fuck up, please!

NohWun

Hey, he's probably right, for a certain segment of console customers.

Does the average 8-year-old want higher-quality graphics, sound, etc?

snaildog

He is right I think. Final Fantasy is a big exception, but even that hit its peak with FF7. The average consumer DOESN'T particularly care about graphics, and epic stories are definitely not mainstream. What's stupid?

Top Bottom