• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga | Trailer

Oberstein

- Anya Taylor Joy just bugs me for some reason

Yep, I love her in The Witch or The Northman, but I feel like this is a bad casting choice. She doesn't have that rage in her eyes, she's too mannered... in the trailer, it doesn't work.
There's too much CGI, too, compared to the first film, which is quite shocking.

You've got to give the product a chance, but I'm not feeling it right now. And the costume design looks cheap.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
No Mel no watch.

YJCy8AK.gif

Sybrix

At last!!

Mad Max Fury Road was probably the best cinema experience I've ever had.

Can't wait to see this.

Hopefully they show Fury Road again in cinema's when this comes out!

Kadve

What made Fury road great was its refusal to do CG (IIRC, the only CG effects were some applied to Furiosa's arm aswell as the dust storm scene). This is just a kick in the face.

I can believe this having just a fraction of Fury Road's budget. Still doesn't justify the fact that i doubt anyone asked for it.

FunkMiller

Naaaaah… What the fuck is this shit, mate?

Tons of fucken CGI? What you doin’ George, ya drongo?

…I’ll give this a go when it hits digital, but this feels so far away from all of the other Mad Max movies. This is the corporate version, and I’m really not here for that.

EDIT: also…….

mad max GIF

……….can some of you mother fuckers stop referring to Fury Road as ‘the first film’ please? It’s the fourth movie… AND NOT EVEN THE BEST ONE.

Last edited:

ShadowNate

There's always a danger for with these movies (and the big budget TV shows), when they cast a fashion-model-looking female with sparkling white teeth in the action role within a dystopian primitive world, that it will end up way too much reminiscent of Xena the Warrior Princess --which had its time, and its highs, but it had completetly different tone and weight, and this should not be like that at all.

I am specifically reminded of Xena's nemesis here, the blonde one who smiled a lot and seeked revenge. I forget her name.

winjer

Gold Member
They are using way too much CGI and it looks very fake. Fury Road use CGI to enhance real life special effects, so it looked amazing.
I'm tired of seeing Chris Hemsworth in every other movie. To make it worse, in a couple of scenes, he just looks like Thor.
Anya Taylor-Joy instead of Charlize Theron is a massive downgrade. And I never liked her work as an actress.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Online discourse about Fury Road before this trailer dropped:

"Fury Road is a fantastic example of a director using practical FX and stunt work as much as possible!"

Online discourse about Fury Road after this trailer dropped:

"Nah! Fury Road was loads of CGI too. This ain't no different!"

Iron Man Eye Roll GIF

thefool

Gonna echo the same sentiment. It looks wonky, plastic, weightless, composites look dogshit (but this will certainly improve).
I understand making this type of film is very hard, but that's what makes it different from the rest of the crowd.

And stop being pussies and bring Mad Mel back.

Last edited:

thefool

They took Bane from us but the song leading to the names is Bane's theme slowed down. Funny.

Last edited:
this is what fury road looked like btw. it too had cg but it didnt feel like it.

1401807816032418708.gif
That's what the trailer looked like. The last shot is not even complete - in the final movie the truck is surrounded by cars and dudes.

Online discourse about Fury Road before this trailer dropped:

"Fury Road is a fantastic example of a director using practical FX and stunt work as much as possible!"

Online discourse about Fury Road after this trailer dropped:

"Nah! Fury Road was loads of CGI too. This ain't no different!"

Online discourse in being wrong shocker...
Every shot on the road has digital terrain, skies and often digital cars and people.
The VFX breakdown starts with CGI Tom Hardy slowly rolling on a bike...

ahtlas7

I see potential if they stick close to the previous Fury Road’s presentation. I don’t mind new characters if they are interesting, complex and come with a story to match. I don’t know who the actress is but I’ll give her a chance AND I’ll suffer a Hemsworth for George Miller.

Here’s an interesting video regarding the difficulties involved in making Fury Road. These type films are difficult to make.

FunkMiller

Online discourse in being wrong shocker...
Every shot on the road has digital terrain, skies and often digital cars and people.

as. much. as. possible.

People are now overplaying the role CGI had in Fury Road to justify this new trailer - which seems to feature a lot more entirely or mainly CGI sequences.

It'll still probably be a great movie (I get my Australian citizenship taken away if I say any different) but there's a definite move towards a more CGI palette, which is disappointing.

Also.... 45 years after the collapse? What the fuck? Civilisation collapses between Mad Max 1 and 2. Max and Furiosa are roughly the same age.

Ryan Reynolds Wtf GIF

Last edited:
I don't mind Taylor Joy, but after Charlize Theron it is a downgrade. This and too much CGI dampened my exitement. But I think that I will still go see it in a cinema. It deserves a chance.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm down for it. It does look overly cartoony but I'm hoing maybe those are prelim shots rushed out for this sizzle reel.

Love love love ATJ but I"m not sure she is 100% the best for this, but will see. Damn though, I so want her to be Lady Amalthea in an epic live action The Last Unicorn, those eyes would totally sell that role as the fae fades and the humanity sets in. But she is ageing out of consideration, get on it Hollywood!!!

I thought I was going nuts cause it looked like shit to me, good to see it's not just my eyes. That CGI is HORRID, what the fuck is this.

Also they downgraded Furiosa heavily.

Last edited:
CGI looks like it was made for TV series rather than for the movie.

One of the main reasons of MM success is the quality of CGI and effects. This looks like a streaming version of it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
He's not wrong.
Composites, coloring, crowding is not the same as having fake cgi cars wobbling through the desert.

Precisely. They used cg to fill in the gaps in 2016. here they are using CG to create everything.

its clear as fuck that the movie was not shot on location, but in a green screen. I saw very few shots that seemed like they were shot on location. id say 50% of the trailer has a green screen feel to it.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Looks horrible to me. Way too much cgi and depth of field....Looks a million times inferior to the previous Mad Max.

fKETswT.jpg

Dafuk is this garbage lmao?
This shot looks like shit, like they aren't even lit for a daytime shot. It's not so much a case of "bad CG," this is on the director.

Most of the rest of the trailer looks pretty good though. Fury Road was one of my favorite action films, so this gets some good will going in.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I really didnt care for the first one honestly. 2015 was all about The Revenant for me. Tom Hardy's superior role and movie.

This looks fun though, CGI or not.

Only a few directors nowadays will shoot everything on location, cherish them.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
fuck yeah!!!!!!!!!! George Miller is doing it !!!
Fury Road is the best god damn movie of 21st century. So happy to see this happening!!!

Is Thor the fat guy bullet king from fury road?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I loved Furiosa in Mad Max. Charlize was my favorite aspect of the movie. Replacing her with Anya Taylor Joy, who I like, really hurts my interest in this. I get it's an origin story, but won't be the same with a new actor portrayal.

FunkMiller

Precisely. They used cg to fill in the gaps in 2016. here they are using CG to create everything.

its clear as fuck that the movie was not shot on location, but in a green screen. I saw very few shots that seemed like they were shot on location. id say 50% of the trailer has a green screen feel to it.

Apparently they filmed around Broken Hill again... which begs the question, why is it all smeared in CG colour grading that makes it look fake as shit? I'm smelling some of that legendary studio interference...

Last edited:

Woggleman

ATJ is a great actress and was great in The Menu but she is too waif like for this role. She doesn't that kind of grit and that bald cap is almost laughable. Charlize Theron committed to actually shaving her head so why couldn't she? Maybe she will surprise everybody though and it will be great.

winjer

Gold Member
ATJ is a great actress and was great in The Menu but she is too waif like for this role. She doesn't that kind of grit and that bald cap is almost laughable. Charlize Theron committed to actually shaving her head so why couldn't she? Maybe she will surprise everybody though and it will be great.

They probably decide to do something cliché, like having her shave her hair near the end of the movie, to symbolize she has become stronger, or some non-sense like this.

SJRB

Gold Member
Wow, hat was not good. Has an extreme b-movie vibe.. Every other shot looked like it was green screened.

Also doesn't help that I feel that this movie is unnecessary. I don't care about Furiosa enough to want to see an origin movie. Wish he'd just done a new Mad Max.

ATJ also has like 25% of the grit and on-screen presence of Charlize Theron. What a downgrade.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

As pretty much everyone had said here, very off putting with the CG galore. Fury Road is one of th best action films of all time and this looks like sub par fan fic. Anya and Chris are great castings and I hope I'm wrong, I will see it in theater, but damn, no hype for this after the trailer. George Miller wtf are you doing?

CGNoire

There's always a danger for with these movies (and the big budget TV shows), when they cast a fashion-model-looking female with sparkling white teeth in the action role within a dystopian primitive world, that it will end up way too much reminiscent of Xena the Warrior Princess --which had its time, and its highs, but it had completetly different tone and weight, and this should not be like that at all.

I am specifically reminded of Xena's nemesis here, the blonde one who smiled a lot and seeked revenge. I forget her name.
Callisto

MayauMiao

They still have enough time to fix the CGI.

What's the ratio for likes/dislike for the trailer? I gave it a (y)

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
From what I understand, as awesome as Fury Road was with it's usage of practical effects and stunts, filming it was an absolute nightmare. Like it was legit one of the most difficult to shoot action films in history. So my guess is that 78 year old George Miller didn't have it in him to go through that again.

The noticeable CGI effects are a disappointment, but I can appreciate that the film looks highly stylized which could make up for that.

Retirement is ok. I'm guessing he isn't hurting for cash.

Top Bottom