• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FurryGAF |OT| They should have sent a veterinarian

Oh wow, that message. Interesting that the site probably wouldn't have got taken down had FA not gone down and people started looking around more.

edit: Top of the page~

2f8.jpg

The_Kid

I like to secretly imagine some sort of conspiracy by Furry Network. I mean, the source code was handed out at the same con that Furry Network announced and launched their gigantic site upgrade at, and like two days later FA is down.

I know it's just a coincidence, but it's absurdly strange.

brian577

Banned
I like to secretly imagine some sort of conspiracy by Furry Network. I mean, the source code was handed out at the same con that Furry Network announced and launched their gigantic site upgrade at, and like two days later FA is down.

I know it's just a coincidence, but it's absurdly strange.

Had the same thought just today. It's almost too much of a coincidence, especially the code getting handed out at BLFC.

I dunno - I'd imagine that taking down FA would help every other site that isn't FA, not just FN.

Unless we're talking about furry collusion. A false flag operation carried out by infosec furs to promote moving to more secure sites, under the guise of wanting to be the Facebook to FA's Myspace

I think I'll probably just use what I use anyway. Until nobody uses it.

I tend to give a lot of Pokémon my own headcanon... usually involving things I really love, like Noivern (heh).

Anyway, on a different topic, at what point would something stop being "furry" and just be a monstrous humanoid thingy?

Probably when it loses sapience, or no longer resembles either a human or a familiar animal/creature in any way, or both.

Hmm... heh.

Makes me ponder about some interesting character concepts that might stretch the definition.

Lately I've caught myself noivern noi-ing IRL... I think I better get it looked at.

Hey, so uh...I had been thinking a lot lately. In recent years there have been a number of things that I really liked that have anthros in them. Zootopia, Freedom Planet, Dust: An Elysian Tail. And hell, I've always been a fan of Star Fox.

It made me wonder. I'm not aroused by anthro characters. And I have no desire whatsoever to own or wear a fursuit. Yet I do have a fondness for such characters. Is that enough to make me a Furry?

Having just read the OP, I guess that's the case though. Huh. How about that. 😮

The_Kid

Furry is what you make it. It's kind of a self described label that no one can give you except yourself. You can like anthro characters without being a furry. Why do you think creators use animals in the first place? Because they like them.

But if you think you're a furry. Welcome. x3

Hey, so uh...I had been thinking a lot lately. In recent years there have been a number of things that I really liked that have anthros in them. Zootopia, Freedom Planet, Dust: An Elysian Tail. And hell, I've always been a fan of Star Fox.

It made me wonder. I'm not aroused by anthro characters. And I have no desire whatsoever to own or wear a fursuit. Yet I do have a fondness for such characters. Is that enough to make me a Furry?

Having just read the OP, I guess that's the case though. Huh. How about that. 😮

Furry is what you make it. It's kind of a self described label that no one can give you except yourself. You can like anthro characters without being a furry. Why do you think creators use animals in the first place? Because they like them.

But if you think you're a furry. Welcome. x3

*hugs with cuddly Noivern wings*

Welcome, welcome! If you think you're one, well, why not stay here for a while? Heck, even those that aren't can sometimes be found talking here. We're pretty much open to all.

MayMay

Banned

Having just read the OP, I guess that's the case though. Huh. How about that. ��

There's definitely no need to be aroused by anthro characters or have a fursuit to be a furry!

Welcome and nice to meet you~ :>

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
that feel when your favorite bara artist draws Zootopia fanart that is not the tiger dancer posse

Sounds like we all need to be the change and get posting, then! Um, not that I have anything to talk about, though, aside from a cool commission that's almost done. :c

I'm just over here playing Overwatch and Bravely Second.

I want that wolf legendary for Hanzo, but I don't really play him that often :p

Meanwhile in Second, I'm at Chapter 1. Game's pretty fun so far :)

Ever since that password reset on FA, my autolog hasn't worked. Can't for the fucking life of me remember my username since I only logged in to view the "ew this is gross. check it out!" pictures.

And sometimes
other stuff

not sure if I should try and figure out what it was or just make a new account or ignore the place for good.

Sounds like we all need to be the change and get posting, then! Um, not that I have anything to talk about, though, aside from a cool commission that's almost done. :c

Right? I guess I'm the same - always mean to post in / contribute to this thread but can never think of much to say. I definitely wish the thread were more active too, but as long as there's an active chat, I guess it's inevitable that it will be a little slow.

Not a lot to talk about on my part - mostly just been playing Bayonetta and Resident Evil 4 + some shmups.

So, where to start.

I'm currently in London on account of business. I had all of today to explore the city, etc. but had already exhausted most sights. After going through the whole of the British Museum's Collection, I found myself wondering towards St. Paul's Cathedral, when what should I stumble across but a gaggle of individuals wearing tails and a whole bunch of full on mascots. This is the first time I had encountered furries in the wild. As such I was struck with curiosity and couldn't help but approach a few individuals to inquire about what "this" was and why. Since it was by far the most interesting thing I had seen in London, one thing lead to another and I found myself making pleasant conversation with some very friendly people while simultaneously observing and occasionally interacting with the aforementioned mascots. I was extremely impressed by the craft many of them had while also befuddled by certain choices (lensless glasses kill me now). In the end I found myself enjoying a slice of London life eating dinner in a Witherspoon's with an entirely unconventional but still very human group. Though a few people are altogether a bit too... bawdy (and what's with the excessive touching?), y'all are alright.

Also I think I kinda get the appeal of fursuits. They are a more tangible form of escapism that also provide the benefit of relative anonymity and the associated boost in confidence.

IE internet avatars IRL.

FoxSpirit

Also I think I kinda get the appeal of fursuits. They are a more tangible form of escapism that also provide the benefit of relative anonymity and the associated boost in confidence.

IE internet avatars IRL.
Yeah, but the regular cartoonheads are a major turnoff for me. They simply aren't cool to me. Like badly done cosplay.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I've actually known a couple of people who build costumes and have sometimes worked on the fursuit type character. As I understand it, one reason for the iconic mascot style head is that it's easy to build for the average fan crafter. The blueprints are by this point foolproof, so it is what most builders are familiar with.

I will admit I don't really care for the aesthetic myself, but understand the practical concerns. When it comes to animal people cosplay, I tend to prefer sculpted character heads closer to this sort.

4wwU85I.jpg

Yeah, but the regular cartoonheads are a major turnoff for me. They simply aren't cool to me. Like badly done cosplay.
I definitely saw the whole gamut. It's not impossible to make something that looks pretty good.
Though more often than not people's choice of accoutrements can still make it look dumb.

Argonians are popular among some of the more talented costumers.

VMJgv3B.jpg

That looks amazing. Love it when people put so much work in a costume. :)

The mage outfit looks authentic too.

I... I want one. Or something similar... they just look so good, but I think they're probably just too far away for me to get, be it in skill, price, or probably just personal connections...

Discord is where all the cool kids are. ;)

Makes it extra painful for Windows Phone people like me :p Discord is completely unusable, even the web version just messes up.

ALRIGHT, I'm all out of ideas and this was the next place on my list to ask the question (I can't make threads, else I would!).

Animals. Specifically, ones that stand like this:

85bf6a82c9aa407be17b93203022be9e.jpg

What are they called? I'm looking for a scientific term used to describe standing with this '3 point' kinda stance thing? Like how an anthropomorphic bipedal goat may stand, like a Satyr.

Aurongel

A lot of the look is lost when you don't give your characters that kind of feet, anyway. It just looks really strange to have perfectly normal feet.

Does it really though? Just about every design under the sun uses fully human-like hands complete with opposable thumbs and no one bats an eye. It seems weird that having different legs would stick out more to someone.

DonMigs85

What I like about Zootopia is that their hands had fingers but still looked like paws, complete with pads. And the ungulates had just 3 digits. And they all walked plantigrade style.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
What I like about Zootopia is that their hands had fingers but still looked like paws, complete with pads. And the ungulates had just 3 digits. And they all walked plantigrade style.

it's more like a cartoony feet

like the feet paws are wide enough to look like feet of digitigrade but the structure makes it look like plantigrade

Does it really though? Just about every design under the sun uses fully human-like hands complete with opposable thumbs and no one bats an eye. It seems weird that having different legs would stick out more to someone.

Probably because things would get super weird then. Perception is odd.

digitigrade

plantigrade is the "use human-style foot on anthro"

planti > digi

Especially for anthros, where planti doesn't make much sense at all.

A lot of the look is lost when you don't give your characters that kind of feet, anyway. It just looks really strange to have perfectly normal feet.

I never thanked you all for your responses, so thank-you! I snatched the info right outta your hands and made off into the night, as needs must. So apologies.

In return, here's some kewl alternative universe(?) Tracy Butler artwork that sees her loveable Lackadaisy cats take on a canine form:

1466360791.jpg

Wanderer5

Übermatik;207701633 said:
I never thanked you all for your responses, so thank-you! I snatched the info right outta your hands and made off into the night, as needs must. So apologies.

In return, here's some kewl alternative universe(?) Tracy Butler artwork that sees her loveable Lackadaisy cats take on a canine form:

These designs are so lovely.

Top Bottom