• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gabby Douglas' mom weighs in on hair controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riggs

Banned
Oh, truly what a crime I committed. I am terribly sorry Mr.Count.
It's not a crime. But so fast to make it racial .... When its black women saying this shit. Then its oops my bad I didn't even read the article. You already had one guy agree with you almost instantly.

Chuckl3s

New job posting for the Olympics: Hair stylists for medalists...

MstAj.jpg

She should apply.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Can people post some examples of her unkempt hair or something? I watched nearly all of the Olympic events, but never even noticed anything remotely wrong with her hair.
Or is that the punchline?

It's not a crime. But so fast to make it racial .... When its black women saying this shit. Then its oops my bad I didn't even read the article. You already had one guy agree with you almost instantly.

What do you want me to do? Crawl around in the dirt and throw ashes on myself and beg for forgiveness? Give me a break.

It's okay. It was amusing.

I'm happy that I can make you laugh.

CrankyJay

Banned
So far this Olympics:

1. US Olympians not patriotic enough
2. Serena Williams crip walk offensive
3. Gabby's hair

Am I missing anything?

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I had a huge crush on Dominique Dawes when I was young.

Woulda smanged until my 13yr old penis fell off. Likely even rubbed one out.

Edit:

Recent pic?

dominique-dawes-1.jpg
That's what happens when Uncle Karolyi stops feeding you his special PB&J.

Riggs

Banned
What do you want me to do? Crawl around in the dirt and throw ashes on myself and beg for forgiveness? Give me a break.

I'm happy that I can make you laugh.
Uhmmm ok then ....

Did I ask any of that? Your attitude sucks I can certainly recommend changing that. Doubt you will do that though.

I don't get it. What's wrong with her hair?
Nothing.

So what we have here is a worthless handful of Twitter users that have something to say about a hair style.

Why is the fact that a handful of nobodys had something to say about her hair even newsworthy? Let alone noteworthy enough for a dumbass reporter to ask her fucking mother about it? The shit doesn't even dignify comment. Bringing it up gives it credibility that it doen't deserve.

Gorillaz

I remember yahoo and a few news outlets reported this one. Its a shame that within the black community the first reaction we have is about her hair instead of her medal. Of all things that mattered hairstyle was more important then winning a gold medal.

MIMIC

Banned
Nothing.

So what we have here is a worthless subset of Twitter users have something to say about a hair style.

Why is the fact that a handful of nobodys had something to say about her hair even newsworthy? Let alone noteworthy enough for a dumbass reporter to ask her fucking mother about it? The shit doesn't even dignify comment. Bringing it up gives it credibility that it doen't deserve.

This. All of this.

IT BOGGLES MY MIND

Riggs

Banned
Of course not, lol

edit: Holy shit people I was kidding
Sad part everyone claims racism in 2 seconds its hard to tell you were joking lol sorry man.

Btw at pic below it looks fine rofl. Better then those nasty fake ass weeves I see.

Can people post some examples of her unkempt hair or something? I watched nearly all of the Olympic events, but never even noticed anything remotely wrong with her hair.

And yes, hair is a huge fucking deal in the black community (especially female). I'm not particularly surprised (slightly ashamed but not surprised) to see someone use that nice little soapbox known as Twitter to criticize or belittle Gabby and her achievements because her hair didn't look perfect.

I am surprised that the major media outlets are giving this story such legs. Why are the media concerned with the sentiment from an extremely small minority of Twitter users in the first place?

CrankyJay

Banned
Sad part everyone claims racism in 2 seconds its hard to tell you were joking lol sorry man.

My point is her hair looks fine. You don't think it's possible though that some her critics are nitpicking her because of her color?

I hope people weren't thinking I was saying that.

eznark

Banned
And yes, hair is a huge fucking deal in the black community (especially female). I'm not particularly surprised (slightly ashamed but not surprised) to see someone use that nice little soapbox known as Twitter to criticize or belittle Gabby.

I am surprised that the major media outlets are giving this story such legs. Why are the media concerned with the sentiment from an extremely small minority of Twitter users in the first place?

What do these lunatics want her hair to look like?

mg_377214.jpg

Is this what the critics think is better?

And yes, hair is a huge fucking deal in the black community (especially female). I'm not particularly surprised (slightly ashamed but not surprised) to see someone use that nice little soapbox known as Twitter to criticize or belittle Gabby and her achievements because her hair didn't look perfect.

What is her hair supposed to look like, according to these people?

Samara

gabby-douglas-hair.jpg

What people dont like is that her roots are kinky and that she's due for a perm. (hence why she has the bobby pins)

If she didn't have time she should've went for a full weave/wig, to hide the shame

Riggs

Banned
My point is her hair looks fine. You don't think it's possible though that her critics are nitpicking her because of her color?
I think her hair looks good. Better then fake weeves. And well I thought the ppl talking shit were black chicks themselves, but anything is possible probably some whites to I guess. Hair , SERIOUS BUSINESS.

So what exactly is the controversy about her hair? The first I read of it was an article about her having straight hair. So at this point I have no idea if the criticism is from white people about her using relaxer, white people about her having 'natural' hair, black people about her having 'white' hair, etc.

Do people just think it's unattractive? Any particular group of people? I'm completely lost.

Don't see the big deal about her hair. She's a gymnast, she can't have her hair flapping all over the place.

Case in point:

J4yYr.jpg

So what exactly is the controversy about her hair? The first I read of it was an article about her having straight hair. So at this point I have no idea if the criticism is from white people about her using relaxer, white people about her having 'natural' hair, black people about her having 'white' hair, etc.

Do people just think it's unattractive? Any particular group of people? I'm completely lost.

The article explains everything.

I had a huge crush on Dominique Dawes when I was young.

Woulda smanged until my 13yr old penis fell off. Likely even rubbed one out.

Edit:

Recent pic?

dominique-dawes-1.jpg

Edit 2: Also had a huge crush on Summer Sanders. Wow, I am really old.

I had something to say but you posted this pic and... man.

Chris Rock made a movie about hair in the black community

The main focus in the film is the extreme lengths that black women are willing to go through in order to look a certain way. A common ideology in the American culture is that the straighter the hair, the prettier the woman. On the contrary, a woman wearing her hair naturally (with no chemical processing) is viewed as unkempt or unprofessional. Black women are willing to spend thousands of dollars on their hair, even if they cannot afford to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom