• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gabby Douglas' mom weighs in on hair controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.

charsace

4582764369_515876548a_o.jpg

Looks nice, but a lot of places would disqualify her if she went to a job interview with her hair like that. Its sad to say, but true.

CrankyJay

Banned
People were not accusing you of suggesting that she should be white with straight blonde hair. They were accusing you of not reading the article and jumping to That'sRacist.gif.
The people criticizing her hair are largely black females.

Oh, thanks for clearing that up.

Monocle

Another embarrassing faux controversy manufactured by morons with nothing better to do. The girl looks totally normal.

As a former track sprinter, I ain't even surprised. It's serious business in the black community. I've dodged too many shitty fallen weaves on the track that I've lost count. Either you perming or rocking that weave or you basically tribal trash to some. The rants I had to endure by some of those lost souls, just face palms. The fact that this is got so much attention however, is downright embarrassing. Though I'm not surprised the media is running with this at all. Fuck the media, fuck the hateful jealous haters that started this, just fuck man. This is why we can't ever have nice things.

This, this so much. It's embarrassing to see black women knock other females for having their hair anywhere close to natural when so many black females would look better rocking their own hair natural.

Seguin

Banned
While this is true. Racism turned inwards is just as bad. A lot of women(black women specifically) get their hair straightened out and it's a topic that I've discussed time and again with many* black women. A lot of them do it to fit in and do not believe that thier natural hair is attactive due to "The standard of beauty" as we know it.

Which is weird because black women with afro's especially are ridiculously attractive.
4582764369_515876548a_o.jpg

I like all sorts of women, but finding a girl with hair like that is terribly impossible.

Well it also helps that she's an incredibly attractive woman. She'd look great with a weave, too

Well it also helps that she's an incredibly attractive woman. She'd look great with a weave, too

True. But I think afro's just suit black women better overall. It just looks so damn nice and it's also different. I don't understand how there can be a "standard of beauty" when we're all so different! As long as you clean yourself well, smell nice, dress nice, keep fit. I'm there.

I despise weaves and straighteners etc. The amount of pain and torment these women put themselves through from a young age just to have "silky hair" is ridiculous.

Another embarrassing faux controversy manufactured by morons with nothing better to do. The girl looks totally normal.
indeed.

Yeah this is normal behavior. Bitches stay hatin' on each other. It's sad, but its reality.

No, it's not normal behavior. It's outlier behavior from outlier-grade people. I'll thank you to not subtly suggest that most of us even care, much less suggested something wrong with this girl. The problem is lazy journalists and stupid people on Twitter.

Some black folks think if your hair ain't straight and flowing looking all like wonder woman, then it's shit. Misguided hate is all.

I wouldn't say misguided hate. They know exactly what to hate on. The general black perception of beauty is light skin with long/good hair.

I go through it everyday with my daughter. Unfortunately she did not inherit her mothers good hair and has low self esteem of sorts as a result of that. Especially as she gets older her desire to have good hair is close to obsessive. I compliment her daily but is that really enough? Are daddy's compliments the solution or do we need a overall restructuring of the black women view on beauty?

Levyne

Banned
This is such a non-issue that calling it a non-issue is too much attention. It shouldn't even register. Hell, entertaining the thought that it shouldn't have ever registered in the public mind is too much thinking on the subject.

Samara

doesnt mention that those ppl who are criticizing are exclusively black.

Pretty sure the majority of them are tho. I don't want to say "self hate", but the aspect of letting the world see that she has even an inch of nappy hair is a no no.

And what Lebron says is very true. Afro hair is considered bad. But I love my hair can't go without a day without people asking how come its so long.

ReiGun

I love that this has become the one of the main talking points about Gabby's historic Olympic win.

And by "love", I obviously mean, "hate with every cell of my body." It's bad enough that people are legitimizing Twitter stupidity, but the fact that Gabby and her mom are even talking about it is sad.

I wouldn't say misguided hate. They know exactly what to hate on. The general black perception of beauty is light skin with long/good hair.

I go through it everyday with my daughter. Unfortunately she did not inherit her mothers good hair and has low self esteem of sorts as a result of that. Especially as she gets older her desire to have good hair is close to obsessive. I compliment her daily but is that really enough? Are daddy's compliments the solution or do we need a overall restructuring of the black women view on beauty?
I'd say the latter. I had no idea this was such a huge issue with black women and it's sad and kinda pathetic. Standards of beauty in America are all kinds of fucked up but this seems like an extreme. Like they are ashamed of their heritage and want to cover it up.

You could start by not sounding like you're from the 50s, referring hair as "good" or "bad", along with the notion of long hair being "good" and inferring everything else is "bad". It's all just hair, but I don't know if you can teach her that with your choices in words. Maybe you should review the images of beauty laying around in your home to see if they are constructive or destructive to the message you're trying to communicate. Get her some posters of Esperanza or someone. lol

Your comment read like you were an extra in School Daze.

I think she looks like a really young, tiny version of Michelle Obama. Really cute kid. This controversy is as idiotic as the one Fox News tried to propagate yesterday by saying Gabby's outfit wasn't patriotic enough. These people need to fuck off.

Steelrain

Yeah my sister has been posting all about this crap on facebook. She said she's going all natural now because she was so disgusted by the story. I'm glad this became a story if it gets more women to think before destroying their hair. I don't know why people are upset that there's a thread on this though.

charsace

Whew, good thing she's an accomplished jazz musician.
Which has nothing to do with my comment. If a person went to interview for a middle class job with that hair styles employers wouldn't consider hiring her. Because her hair style isn't considered professional.

kunonabi

I didn't even notice the hair. I was more concerned with whether or not she stepped out of bounds and the olympic "judges" giving her the win by .2 points. Normally I wouldn't be so paranoid but the 2004 Olympics have made me incredibly distrustful.

Which has nothing to do with my comment. If a person went to interview for a middle class job with that hair styles employers wouldn't consider hiring her. Because her hair style isn't considered professional.

you are correct.

depending on how conservative the establishment is (say, IBM for example) men can't have long hair or facial hair (at least, not beards, iirc). So most certainly a wild afro wouldn't do. But she wouldn't have to perm her shit either.

Yeah, really.

I haven't seen anything posted that would make me change my mind on that either. Either way, I really don't care if a thread has the potential to upset me. I just won't post in it.

I can see why it wouldn't upset or irritate you. But you shouldn't have any problem understanding why others would be. You should be old enough and seasoned enough in life beyond youself to understand the answer to the question why without help, regardless as to whether or not the answer you derive is applicable to you personally.

Jezabel

she won gold and people are criticizing her hair?

I'd like to see what the people complaining have achieved with their lives

Riggs

Banned
Just watched Chris rocks good hair. Gdamn I learned some shit. Thnx for recommending.

Rather date a black chick with natural hair 100% more after seeing this.

I'm going to have to watch this... because this whole "controversy" has freaked me out a bit. I can't even vaguely grasp why anyone would give a flying fuck.

I'm watching it now (Good Hair), and so far it's absolutely mindblowing. I had absolutely no idea about how prevalent weaves were (I did know about hair relaxer). The attitudes towards natural hair are astonishing.

You didn't bold the most important part.
Douglas lives and trains in Des Moines, Iowa, with a host family, Hawkins reminded Fashionista.com. "She lives with a white host family and they don’t know anything about taking care of her hair," she said. "And there’s no black salons in their area — not one. We had to work really hard to find a stylist to come and do her hair..

YoungHav

Banned
when will black men go back to conches?

"Ooooh weee, it look white don't it!?" -- Denzel after putting his head in a toilet lmao.

2San

I'm watching it now (Good Hair), and so far it's absolutely mindblowing. I had absolutely no idea about how prevalent weaves were (I did know about hair relaxer). The attitudes towards natural hair are astonishing.
When the first lady has a weave you know somethings up.

Riggs

Banned
That film is crazy, all this hair comes from India. And they make it a religious thing like your sacrificing your hair so your not all about vanity. Then they just sell your hair and make big money while you think you are doing something spiritual. Hah fuckin hustlers man.

Riggs

Banned
You weren't going to date one anyway, Mel! :D

Well you know I had a bigggg thing for black girls man. Then I slept with one, and it fucked me up bad. I am not even joking. I remember the thread and why you saying that (pretty sure at least, or just messing w/ me about my avatar lol).

I want to changeeeeee. So many beautiful black women out there man, (Not Serena Williams though) and it's like I am shutting myself out. BECAUSE OF 1 CRAZY STUPID @#)$%*! THAT WORKED AT THE SHELL STATION. I am not going to let her ruin all black women for me, today I make a change. Today, I become a better person.

Not sure if the world will accept the new me, but I am not even trolling. I really had a thing for black girls then I did this massive 180 after that girl. I think I am over it now, I should make a thread about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom