• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gabby Douglas' mom weighs in on hair controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well you know I had a bigggg thing for black girls man. Then I slept with one, and it fucked me up bad. I am not even joking. I remember the thread and why you saying that (pretty sure at least, or just messing w/ me about my avatar lol).

I want to changeeeeee. So many beautiful black women out there man, (Not Serena Williams though) and it's like I am shutting myself out. BECAUSE OF 1 CRAZY STUPID @#)$%*! THAT WORKED AT THE SHELL STATION. I am not going to let her ruin all black women for me, today I make a change. Today, I become a better person.

:D

my man.

Riggs

Banned
Was 100% serious in that post btw, and does Michelle really have a weeve? I don't even care, she rocks that shit well. Some girls look funny, but god damn if weeves really cost $1,000-$3500 it better look fucking real.

what's a weave..?

-clueless northern european

Dude you should watch "Good Hair" that Chris Rock documentary. Shit is crazy, but a weeve (weave?) is like hair extensions, fake hair. They can do it a bunch of different ways. Like bun all your real hair up, then take the weave and glue it on. They can corn roll your hair and use tracks. There is another way also but I forgot.

what's a weave..?

Basically a woman's natural hair is braided into cornrows, then a net is placed over the scalp and fake hair is either pinned or braided into that net. The more expensive the weave, the better the hair and the more intricate the braiding process so that the hair looks and moves more naturally.

2San

does Michelle really have a weeve?
I don't think it's ever officially confirmed, but Chris Rock mentioned this in an interview.
xhy0R.jpg

I mean come on son. ;O

Though it seems more like extensions then a full on weave.

Lebron

what's a weave..?

Fake hair women add to their own natural hair to change the look. Ever see Beyonce rocking that long flowing wonder woman looking hair? That's weave. Also, the picture posted above. That's not natural black hair.

Jburton

Banned
Fake hair women add to their own natural hair to change the look. Ever see Beyonce rocking that long flowing wonder woman looking hair? That's weave. Also, the picture posted above. That's not natural black hair.

What is the big obsession with hiding their natural hair?

Saw that Chris Rock doc about hair, little girls with chemical burns on their scalps from a chemical stripper!

Insane.

Riggs

Banned
dat brainwashing

This chick I worked with, she had a BF and everything. We were 100% friends from the jump. But man I was attracted to her, and first thing I noticed was her hair. She just had a fro, but she rocked the shit out of it. And her personality / attitude was very awesome. Every single other black chick, and there were a lot of them at this call center, now that I think about it all had their hair relaxed / perm'd etc. Seems like so many black girls are afraid to go natural, and the sad thing is I NEVER noticed this before today. Now I am just thinking back in time.

This chick I worked with, she had a BF and everything. We were 100% friends from the jump. But man I was attracted to her, and first thing I noticed was her hair. She just had a fro, but she rocked the shit out of it. And her personality / attitude was very awesome. Every single other black chicks, and there were a lot of them, now that I think about it all had their hair relaxed / perm'd etc. Seems like so many black girls are afraid to go natural, and the sad thing is I NEVER noticed this before today. Now I am just thinking back in time.

Natural means "nappy", it means looking less professional, it means being taken less seriously and being called ugly. It's more than just black girls are afraid, they are basically encouraged into doing it by other black women, celebrities who don't balk at the standard and of course racism.

Veezy

que?
Brainwashing?

White American culture has deemed "attractive" to mean a pretty specific thing. In addition, natural black hair can be deemed "unprofessional" and can even get you fired at certain jobs.

A ex and I had a talk about why she spent so much money on getting weaves put in when I thought she looked sexy with her afro (and, I didn't mention, having to have sex certain ways got aggravating). I had no idea, as a White dude, the bombshell of a question I was asking.

Lebron

Brainwashing?
Not like literally, but others have explained what I meant.

But the straight and long look is seen as more desirable than keeping it natural by some. So either they perm it, or get some sort of extension to achieve that. Then you got the ones that take it further and dye their shit blonde. It is what it is.

Satch said:
michelle doesnt have a weave
Yeah you're right, my mistake.

Riggs

Banned
Ya Devo I just watched and already forgot that part =/

That is beyond fucked up, never even thought about that.

lenovox1

What is the big obsession with hiding their natural hair?

Saw that Chris Rock doc about hair, little girls with chemical burns on their scalps from a chemical stripper!

Insane.

Beyoncé and pop stars in general do it because weaves and wigs are easier to manage than natural hair. Especially when she's on tour or promoting. And because of the look longer hair can give.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Man... this whole thing just makes me kind of sad. How shitty can be people get?

White American culture has deemed "attractive" to mean a pretty specific thing. In addition, natural black hair can be deemed "unprofessional" and can even get you fired at certain jobs.

A ex and I had a talk about why she spent so much money on getting weaves put in when I thought she looked sexy with her afro (and, I didn't mention, having to have sex certain ways got aggravating). I had no idea, as a White dude, the bombshell of a question I was asking.
It's funny my brother (black) and his ex-girlfriend (white) had a somewhat similar discussion during the whole "Nappy headed hoes" controversy. She didn't know the significance of 'nappy' hair in some black communities/culture and had her eyes opened up to the whole 'black people and hair' thing. How it was (and still is to some) a reflection of your 'class' AKA how well you blended in with white people.

Lebron

Beyoncé and pop stars in general do it because weaves and wigs are easier to manage than natural hair. Especially when she's on tour or promoting. And because of the look longer hair can give.
The maintenance part is also true. The Spalding look is not easy to maintain at all.

Hell even for black guys it's like a sin in the black community to not take extremely good care of your hair. Either hair cuts every 2 weeks or going for braids or something.

Preachsuh

Banned
People saying black women perm their hair merely to emulate white womens hair and because its ugly, must arrive at these conclusions without consulting black women personally.

Natural hair takes work to get into a presentable form.
That woman whose picture is being requoted?
Thats an insane amount of work to perfect from the moment of rising from bed to walking out the door.
If you've got a team of stylists prepping you for photoshoots, fine, do you.
But if you're rolling out of bed, showering, grabbing something to eat and then rushing out the door to get to work on time, its asking a terrible lot to have that picture perfect crimped look.

A perm is just easier.
Having slept with many women from college onward, a simple wrap before bed, and then the next morning merely unwrap, comb and out the door.
Ever wonder why you see mostly sistas with the hair wrapped up via a scarf in homegrown/amateur flicks?
Because it allows them to have a life outside their hair.

I'd prefer if all black women maintained natural hair, absent harmful chemicals.
It looks the best, easily.

But as a guy who can roll out of bed, remove skull cap, add carrot oil, brush and then shiny 360 waves (POW!) and thats it, i'm not going to harass them like a militant atheist at dennys on sunday afternoon for taking the path of least resistance when it comes to their hair and overall appearance.

People saying black women perm their hair merely to emulate white womens hair and because its ugly, must arrive at these conclusions without consulting black women personally.

Thats an insane amount of work to perfect from the moment of rising from bed to walking out the door.
But if you're rolling out of bed, showering, grabbing something to eat and then rushing out the door to get to work on time, its asking a terrible lot to have that picture perfect crimped look.

A perm is just easier.
Having slept with many women from college onward, a simple wrap before bed, and then the next morning merely unwrap, comb and out the door.
Ever wonder why you see mostly sistas with the hair wrapped up via a scarf in homegrown/amateur flicks?

I'd prefer if all black women maintained natural hair, absent harmful chemicals.

But as a guy who can roll out of bed, remove skull cap, add carrot oil, brush and then shiny 360 waves (POW!) and thats it, i'm not going to harass them like a militant atheist at dennys on sunday afternoon for taking the path of least resistance when it comes to their hair and overall appearance.

Who decides what's presentable?

A perm is just easier.

good post.

natural hair takes a lot of time and effort to manage.

perm/relaxer makes life easier.

we should strive to have good hair

you sonofabitch

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire

A perm is just easier.

That is SUPER cultural dude

Women do what they do with their hair because they and their friends like it and that what was pass down to them.

Gorillaz

Yup, a lot of self hatred. It's funny all of these black women talking shit and worrying about their hair wondering why they can't get married.

Damn talk about a low blow.

Marriage and dating in the black community is a pretty..tangled...issue. Tho not all the haters talking about gabby have that problem.

lenovox1

Who decides what's presentable?

Waking up with half of your hair matted and the back of your head locked and going out of the house that way is never "presentable" in any culture or race.

With hair as long as Esparanza's, she has to twist that stuff every night and wake up in the morning to do her Miss Jesse's routine. That takes time!

Hell, even with a weave you can just wrap it up, sprits your hair in the morning, then just walk out of the door. That's a huge factor for many women.

.GqueB.

Banned
I personally don't like natural hair because of all the shit they still have to put in it. Smells weird and stays in my clothes. At leas the women I've been with. It's very goopey.

Not even 100% sure people know what they are referring to when they say "natural". There's nothing "natural" about that picture being requoted over and over again as some great example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom