• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gabby Douglas' mom weighs in on hair controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
What do these lunatics want her hair to look like?

mg_377214.jpg

Is this what the critics think is better?

I saw her running on TV the other day. She's built like a tank.

Revenant

I mean why even win a gold medal if you can't look perfect while doing it.

We need to start banning people from twitter. Sorry you're too stupid to tweet.

Riggs

Banned
Am I just to stupid or something? Her hair looks good to me. I hate fake hair lol, but half the time my dumb ass can't even tell fake from real anyway. I complimented a girl at work on her nice hair , she looked at me like I was fuckin retarded and said "its weeve". I didn't know what to say.

The article explains everything.

The only thing the article explains is that Douglas has a ponytail, and that blacks have been criticizing her hair because it is "nappy." Black girls attack other black girls if they don't have fake hair? This is a strong enough opinion in the black community that Douglas is somehow betraying them by not wearing hair that probably came from an Indian woman? If it's just trashy black women that feel this way, why is it a top story on all of the mainstream news outlets? I still don't understand.

I'm just quoting the wikipedia page of the "Good Hair" documentary here:
To be fair, this is completely unknown territory for me too, so maybe i'm not the right person to weigh in on this.

I've actually seen this film, and it still leaves me confused on this particular issue since Douglas' hair seems straight to me.

Am I just to stupid or something? Her hair looks good to me. I hate fake hair lol, but half the time my dumb ass can't even tell fake from real anyway. I complimented a girl at work on her nice hair , she looked at me like I was fuckin retarded and said "its weeve". I didn't know what to say.

Don't compliment a woman on her hair if you don't know whether its real or not.

Sianos

Have any of these people complaining about her hair ever sweat or even mildly exercised? Jogged at a speed over five miles an hour?

Gabby accomplishes more during one day than these people will their whole lives.

NoRéN

Nice fake hair.

Hoo-doo

Banned

To be fair, this is completely unknown territory for me too, so maybe i'm not the right person to weigh in on this.

The main focus in the film is the extreme lengths that black women are willing to go through in order to look a certain way. A common ideology in the American culture is that the straighter the hair, the prettier the woman. On the contrary, a woman wearing her hair naturally (with no chemical processing) is viewed as unkempt or unprofessional. Black women are willing to spend thousands of dollars on their hair, even if they cannot afford to do so.

In Good Hair, Rock explains how a black woman’s hair can affect her daily activity (avoiding activities that may cause her hair to get wet and ruining her weave), wallets (weaves can cost thousands of dollars to purchase and hundreds of dollars per month to maintain), and sex lives (men are forced to accept a "hands-off” policy and often feel pressured into paying for women's hair care). Rock explains that because a black woman’s hair is such an investment, men are often not allowed to touch it during sex. Rock says, "...You are conditioned not to even go there. When I was a dating guy, I dated women from different races. Anytime I was with an Asian or a Puerto Rican girl or a white girl, my hands would constantly be in their hair. Like my hands were thirsty.” The type of hairstyle that a black woman has can sometimes act as a predictor of what she is willing to do.

The only thing the article explains is that Douglas has a ponytail, and that blacks have been criticizing her hair because it is "nappy." Black girls attack other black girls if they don't have fake hair? This is a strong enough opinion in the black community that Douglas is somehow betraying them by not wearing hair that probably came from an Indian woman? If it's just trashy black women that feel this way, why is it a top story on all of the mainstream news outlets? I still don't understand.

It answered the questions you presented in your first post.

It seems you have read it now, so that's good.

Honestly, I saw her and then after awhile noticed her hair and while it didn't look great I didn't really care.

And the clarify black woman are not upset that its natural (because its not), they are upset because its not exactly "picture perfect". I don't see why they should care though.

Riggs

Banned
Don't compliment a woman on her hair if you don't know whether its real or not.

Ya man that's some solid truth for anyone who doesn't know better in here. Learned my lesson lol.

NoRéN;40727503 said:
Nice fake hair.

Ya basically hah, I covered up pretty well but inside I am thinking wtf I gave you a compliment don't tell me its fake woman! She was really cool though so it could of been worse.

HoodWinked

its insane so relentless shes first black person to win all around so shes getting criticized to no end since people very much expected Jordyn Wieber to have won, and feel like Gabby may have "stolen" her spot for the all around finals. lulz has nothing to do with hair.

Gorillaz

My mom called me in from the other room because they were talking about it on MSNBC the day Gabby won gold.

Me: "Why did you make me watch that?"
Yea and I don't understand how the media was trying to really milk this one. Like what people said it was only a few people on twitter. Yet people were acting like it was all of the world lol.

its insane so relentless shes first black person to win all around so shes getting criticized to no end since people very much expected Jordyn Wieber to have won, and feel like Gabby may have "stolen" her spot for the all around finals. lulz
thats what all of my buds are saying too lol

To got further there was much of that in each sport. If Phelps or Lochte somehow would have both lost races to underdogs the media have found a way to criticize the winner

Riggs

Banned

Wtf I need to watch this ASAP. Sounds funny. During sex I love pulling chicks hair (sometimes they like it to!) I would be in a lot of trouble it seems hah.

Like my hands were thirsty lol man that is funny.

its insane so relentless shes first black person to win all around so shes getting criticized to no end since people very much expected Jordyn Wieber to have won, and feel like Gabby may have "stolen" her spot for the all around finals. lulz

I did not know that Ms Wieber was so popular in the black community.

its insane so relentless shes first black person to win all around so shes getting criticized to no end since people very much expected Jordyn Wieber to have won, and feel like Gabby may have "stolen" her spot for the all around finals. lulz has nothing to do with hair.

It was the other chick who stole her spot. This is all about black women hating on their own out of jealousy.

charsace

I'm not surprised that there are some who are dumb enough to harp on her hair. It was something that I said to myself as I watched gymnastics. "Some women are gonna talk about her hair." And its happening.

And this is racial. Black women have to have their hair kept in a way that is actually unnatural for their hair because of society.

Lebron

As a former track sprinter, I ain't even surprised. It's serious business in the black community. I've dodged too many shitty fallen weaves on the track that I've lost count. Either you perming or rocking that weave or you basically tribal trash to some. The rants I had to endure by some of those lost souls, just face palms. The fact that this is got so much attention however, is downright embarrassing. Though I'm not surprised the media is running with this at all. Fuck the media, fuck the hateful jealous haters that started this, just fuck man. This is why we can't ever have nice things.

Mudkips

Banned
Probably blond, straight, and preferably magically change her skin to white.

Of course not, lol

edit: Holy shit people I was kidding

My point is her hair looks fine. You don't think it's possible though that some her critics are nitpicking her because of her color?

I hope people weren't thinking I was saying that.

People were not accusing you of suggesting that she should be white with straight blonde hair. They were accusing you of not reading the article and jumping to That'sRacist.gif.
The people criticizing her hair are largely black females.

Walshicus

I'm not surprised that there are some who are dumb enough to harp on her hair. It was something that I said to myself as I watched gymnastics. "Some women are gonna talk about her hair." And its happening.

But seriously, why? What's actually wrong with it? I honest to gods just can't see what people would see as "controversial" about it.

Riggs

Banned
As a former track sprinter, I ain't even surprised. It's serious business in the black community. I've dodged too many shitty fallen weaves on the track that I've lost count. Either you perming or rocking that weave or you basically tribal trash to some. The rants I had to endure by some of those lost souls, just face palms.The fact that this is got so much attention however, is downright embarrassing. Though I'm not surprised the media is running with this at all. Fuck the media, fuck the hateful jealous haters that tstarted this, just fuck man. This is why we can't ever have nice things.

Man I am so white I had no idea it was like that ...

Personally real hair looks better then some of the weeves that I can tell are fake. I seen white girls with extensions to lol. Not sure if that is same thing as a weeve though. Always thought they were same at least. Fuck being a guy rocks. Walk into barber, hey Dan what do you want me to do? Cut that shit off what else?

Btw crush she is sexy as hell like that.

Also would love to see hellers opinion on this from prototype 2. Sorry been playing that game a lot lately. He does not fucking sugar coat.

Her mom states clearly who the majority of the critics are. They aren't white men.

While this is true. Racism turned inwards is just as bad. A lot of women(black women specifically) get their hair straightened out and it's a topic that I've discussed time and again with many* black women. A lot of them do it to fit in and do not believe that thier natural hair is attactive due to "The standard of beauty" as we know it.

Which is weird because black women with afro's especially are ridiculously attractive.
4582764369_515876548a_o.jpg

I like all sorts of women, but finding a girl with hair like that is terribly impossible.

Lebron

But seriously, why? What's actually wrong with it? I honest to gods just can't see what people would see as "controversial" about it.
Some black folks think if your hair ain't straight and flowing looking all like wonder woman, then it's shit. Misguided hate is all.

MIMIC

Banned
I want to call MSNBC and tell them to stop propagating this bullshit.

The less number of people that know about what some morons think on Twitter, the better.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Wait wait wait wait

Her hair is fucking how it's supposed to be and pretty much the same with all gymnasts? fucking hell

edit, I'm going to go with a jealousy theory from the people complaining, a lousy one at that

NoRéN

doesnt mention that those ppl who are criticizing are exclusively black.

Douglas lives and trains in Des Moines, Iowa, with a host family, Hawkins reminded Fashionista.com. "She lives with a white host family and they don’t know anything about taking care of her hair," she said. "And there’s no black salons in their area — not one. We had to work really hard to find a stylist to come and do her hair... It’s really been African-American women that have come out and attacked her. They don’t know about gymnastics. She has to keep her hair in a ponytail 28-30 hours a week."

It's not even a long article. Come on.

charsace

There's nothing wrong with it. But if you knew the lengths that american (and its mainly american black women) go to to maintain their straight hair then you could have seen this coming a mile away.

And the media will run with it because it makes black people look bad. Anything that makes blacks look in america will get some air time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom