• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Game of the Year 2009 - Voting Thread - 3 POINT SYSTEM, rules updated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagabundo

Not many new games this year - but Dragon Age (PC) is waiting for me under my xmas tree, so I may update :

Modern Warfare: Reflex - 2

:D

EDIT: And I am expecting MP trilogy or NSM WII...

Shurs

Noshino said:
Why? Because the previous scoring system was more broken than this one, naming just one game with the 1-to-10 system gave a SINGLE game 10 freaking points

In the previous system you were required to list a minimum of three games.

I liked the old system better because it gave exposure to more games.

Rolf NB

Mar_ said:
I'd vote in it.

Not that I'm adverse to changing systems. I just need to know why it's changing. I'd like a clear explanation of why this system makes it better.
I think it's good that this one doesn't make you order everything. You can now name several games that you enjoyed as much as each other.

I don't get any of the complaints really. Individual voters will not be able to name a lot of titles. But that doesn't need to be. There's lots of people voting. The games that rise to the top are the ones that a majority agrees on, which really is the point.

expy

Banned
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 3
Dragon Age: Origins - 2
Demon's Souls - 2
Infamous - 1
Assassin's Creed 2 - 1
Resident Evil 5 - 1

Noshino

Shurs said:

1- MGS4
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
9-Halo 3
10-Uncharted

the difference in points between the first and second place is 8 points, that is a big difference, quite a bunch of points that was being taken advantage of.

Shurs

Noshino said:
1- MGS4
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
9-Halo 3
10-Uncharted

the difference in points between the first and second place is 8 points, that is a big difference, quite a bunch of points that was being taken advantage of.

Sure, if someone chose to vote like that, on the other hand, if someone listed 1,2,3 the difference between first and second place is one point. It's all relative.

Shurs said:

We are seeing more games get votes this time around since people feel obligated to spend all 10 points.

Also as said, before it just made it too easy for few games to get majority of the points and blow away the competition since people loaded up a handful of games with huge points. This new system promotes votes for more games and create more closer competition.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Quite possibly the easiest year ever when it comes to picking games for me.

Uncharted 2 - 3 points
Killzone 2 - 2 points
Infamous - 2 points
Demon's Souls - 2 points

Noshino

Shurs said:
Sure, if someone chose to vote like that, on the other hand, if someone listed 1,2,3 the difference between first and second place is one point. It's all relative.

The thing is, you don't have that problem with the new system.

Mihku

Uncharted 2 - 3
Assassin's Creed 2 - 2
Demon's Souls - 1
Killzone 2 - 1
Infamous - 1

KGKK

Banned
Uncharted 2 - 3 points
Demon's Soul - 2 points
Assassin's Creed 2 - 2 points
Killzone 2 - 2 points
Infamous - 1 point

Shurs

Noshino said:
The thing is, you don't have that problem with the new system.

But a new problem arises.

I've played well over twenty games this year. I want to give exposure to ten of those games, as I feel that ten bring something to the table that is worth mentioning. Now, in order to get ten games on the list, I have to pretend that I have no preference between the ten games and give them all one point. That's lame.

StuBurns

Banned
Shurs said:
But a new problem arises.

I've played well over twenty games this year. I want to give exposure to ten of those games, as I feel that ten bring something to the table that is worth mentioning. Now, in order to get ten games on the list, I have to pretend that I have no preference between the ten games and give them all one point. That's lame.
You can post whatever you like though. You can post 40 games, in the order you prefer, then just assign points as and where you see fit. I agree it's not as good as last year, but I don't see your point as an issue.

Shurs

stuburns said:
You can post whatever you like though. You can post 40 games, in the order you prefer, then just assign points as and where you see fit. I agree it's not as good as last year, but I don't see your point as an issue.

Sure, I can post 40 games, but I only have 10 points to disperse. In order to get 10 games onto the GOTY master list, I have to give an equal point to every game, and that is where the problem lies.

Lostconfused said:
I guess I am one of the few people that's happy about not having to mention 10 more games that everyone else already did.

Using the old system, you never needed to list ten games. You could list ten games, but you could also list three.

Machinarium - 3
New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 2
Uncharted 2 - 2
Little King's Story -2

Haven't played Demon's Souls yet but it's on the way. It sounds like it could possibly be a contender, too. Damn it :/

Shurs said:
Using the old system, you never needed to list ten games. You could list ten games, but you could also list three.
Well I guess that's my problem but I would end up listing those games anyways. Because they were pretty good. This point system made me think about which ones I had more fun with this year rather than just listing an ok AAA game.

Omikaru

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 3
Tales of Monkey Island - 2
Street Fighter IV - 2
The Beatles: Rock Band - 2
inFamous - 1

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Noshino said:
It isn't. Now the max score per game is 3, making votes count less per person. Meaning that niche games, which will be less voted for, are likely to have less points.

[...]

Why? Because the previous scoring system was more broken than this one, naming just one game with the 1-to-10 system gave a SINGLE game 10 freaking points
I believe we're saying the same thing :p
I said this system isn't perfect, it still has its flaws, but it's leagues better than the one from last thread, where people would just give Console Exclusive #1 and Console Exclusive #2 five points each and call it a day :p At least now people willing to spend all of their points (most, so far) will have to name at least five games.
It's true that this gives less power to a single user, but that's exactly the point: a single user being able to give Game A five times the points of Game B creates an extreme unbalance between the 3-4 top tier games that came out this year and everything else. With the current system, this unbalance is strongly reduced.

vareon

Ooooh it's that time of the year!

Tales of Monkey Island - 3 Points

Scribblenauts - 2 Points
Dragon Age: Origins - 2 Points
Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon - 2 Points

Muramasa The Demon Blade - 1 Point

How about this system - you get 55 points to disperse, you can list between 3 and 10 games, the most points you can allot is 10, and any two games cannot have the same point value.

HiResDes

Lostconfused said:
Well I guess that's my problem but I would end up listing those games anyways. Because they were pretty good. This point system made me think about which ones I had more fun with this year rather than just listing an ok AAA game.
I for one like the point system; it encourages variety.

Noshino

Shurs said:
Sure, I can post 40 games, but I only have 10 points to disperse. In order to get 10 games onto the GOTY master list, I have to give an equal point to every game, and that is where the problem lies.

With the old system, people had to put their games in order of preference, hell, even if one wanted to just name 3 games, they couldn't put the 3 of them at the top, one HAD to be better than the other. That problem is solved this time around.

The only problem with this list, is that it shortens the amount of games listed, that's it.

KaYotiX

Banned
Uncharted 2----3 pts
Dragon Age--- 2 pts
Forza 3---- 2 pts
Beatles Rockband----1 pt
Modern Warfare 2----1pt
NSMBW----1pt

Macstorm

Demon's Souls - 3
Half-Minute Hero - 2
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride - 1
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - 1
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor - 1

Demon's Souls - 3
Red Faction: Guerilla - 2
Metroid Prime Trilogy - 2
Retro Game Challenge - 1
NyxQuest - 1
Assassin's Creed II - 1

dk_

Uncharted 2 - 2
Red Faction Guerilla - 2
Demon's Souls - 1
Assassin's Creed 2 - 1
FIFA 10 - 1
Killzone 2 - 1
Resident Evil 5 - 1
Batman AA - 1

Noshino

Jocchan said:
I believe we're saying the same thing :p
I said this system isn't perfect, it still has its flaws, but it's leagues better than the one from last thread, where people would just give Console Exclusive #1 and Console Exclusive #2 five points each and call it a day :p At least now people willing to spend all of their points (most, so far) will have to name at least five games.
It's true that this gives less power to a single user, but that's exactly the point: a single user being able to give Game A five times the points of Game B creates an extreme unbalance between the 3-4 top tier games that came out this year and everything else. With the current system, this unbalance is strongly reduced.

I don't think we are saying the same thing :C

With this new system, niche games have even less of a chance of appearing, which was one of the reasons as to why people were asking for change of yesterday's system, since people are voting more and more for blocbusters/more mainstream games, or so it seems...really defeats the purpose of the change.

Anyway, I ll wait eagerly for the results so that next year's format is change accordingly (no way we are going back to 1-to-10)

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Uncharted 2 - 3
Batman: Arkham Asylum - 2
Excitebike: World Rally - 2
Red Faction: Guerrilla - 1
New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 1
Borderlands - 1

Spiegel

Uncharted 2 - 3
Assassin's Creed 2 - 2
Batman: Arkham Asylum - 1
Resident Evil 5 - 1
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles - 1
Little Big Planet PSP - 1
Resistance Retribution - 1

Ray163

Neo Member
Trials HD -- 2
Torchlight -- 2
Brutal Legend -- 2
Time Gentlemen, Please -- 2
Dawn of War 2 -- 1
Dragon Age -- 1

Shurs

Haunted said:
Better being a douchebag than listing MW2 as the best game of 2009!

MW2 certainly isn't my favorite game of 2009. I just think that, in a thread where people are listing their favorite games, to basically say that some people who list a certain game have bad taste is, in fact, in bad taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom