• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Game of the Year 2009 - Voting Thread - 3 POINT SYSTEM, rules updated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Does anyone else get the feeling that more GAFers own PS3s than 360s from these threads?

Not trying to start a console war or anything, just an observation.

I think we all know that not all of us have every console, but our own console distribution would skew our results. I'd love it if we could have the "as-is" list as well as a normalized list based on console ownership percentages.

eg: If 75% of the voters have PS3s and 50% of the voters have 360s, than the 360's numbers are inflated to account for the lost percentage of voters.

Can of worms and would be nearly impossible to get, but I'd love to see it.

Please don't start a console war over this post, just making an observation.

Ikopi

New Super Mario Bros Wii - 3 points
Batman : Arkham Asylum - 2 points
Torchlight - 2 points
Wii Sports Resort - 2 points
Little King's Story - 1 point

meehan666

Neo Member
Dragon Age Origins - 3
Batman: Arkham Asylum - 2
Modern Warfare 2 - 1
Killzone 2 - 1
Uncharted 2 - 1
Dawn Of War II - 1
Infamous - 1

john tv

Even tho I'm in Japan, I'll stick to games that were released in the West in 2009.

Dragon Quest V - 2 pts
New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 2 pts
Uncharted 2 - 1 pt
Modern Warfare 2 - 1 pt
Resident Evil 5 - 1 pt
Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon - 1 pt
Retro Game Challenge - 1 pt
Bionic Commando Rearmed - 1 pt

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Street fighter IV - 3
Left 4 Dead 2 - 3
Halo ODST - 1
shadow complex - 1
peggle XBLA - 1

edit: didn't read :O

magus

Uncharted 2: Drakes Fortune - 3
Demon's Souls - 2
Dragon Age - 2
Left 4 Dead 2 - 2
New Super Mario Brothers Wii - 1

Struct09

Assassin's Creed II - 3
Shadow Complex - 2
New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 2
Uncharted 2 - 1
Punch-Out!! - 1
Batman Arkham Asylum - 1

jibblypop

Banned
RubxQub said:
Does anyone else get the feeling that more GAFers own PS3s than 360s from these threads?

I definitely noticed a lot of people only picking PS3 games which tells me they probably didn't even play the best games for the other 2 consoles so it will definitely hurt the results in my opinion. However, people are allowed to vote for whatever they want to so if they want to pretend every good game this year was released on one console, then that is their right.

Kuraudo

Banned
UK here, although I don't think it makes a difference with anything I listed.

2 points - Dragon Age: Origins
2 points - Resident Evil 5
2 points - Street Fighter IV
1 point - Dragon Quest V
1 point - Dissidia Final Fantasy
1 point - Assassin's Creed II
1 point - Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena

Meier

Shadow Complex - 3
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - 2
Dragon Age - 1
Uncharted 2 - 1
Batman: Arkham Asylum - 1
The Beatles Rock Band - 1
New Super Mario Bros Wii - 1

Bunch of games I still haven't played.. Ratchet and Clank, Mario & Luigi 3 are the two biggies. Oh well, what can ya do.

jibblypop said:
I definitely noticed a lot of people only picking PS3 games which tells me they probably didn't even play the best games for the other 2 consoles so it will definitely hurt the results in my opinion. However, people are allowed to vote for whatever they want to so if they want to pretend every good game this year was released on one console, then that is their right.

Even though I own all consoles, I have to agree with many others that the PS3 just had a superior year overall when it came to exclusives. I think even the Wii out did the 360 this year when it came to Exclusives. I expect a much better year next year from MS but really it just was one of their weakest years. The best games on 360 were pretty much multiplatform titles. It's looking like people are being biased, but really when it came to exclusives outside of ODST there was not a whole lot that was very notable.

It's not just gaf, just look at the awards being given out by all the websites and publications. Multiplatform games are dominating almost every list and PS3 exclusives have been making a decent showing.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Uncharted 2 - 3 points
Trials HD - 2 points
Killzone 2 - 2 points
Batman: Arkham Asylum - 1 point
Street Fighter IV - 1 point
Demon's Souls - 1 point

Vexidus

Uncharted 2 - 3
Infamous - 2
Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time - 2
Machinarium - 1
PixelJunk Shooter - 1
Flower - 1

Ryn

Uncharted 2: 3 points

Batman AA: 2 points
Borderlands: 2 points
Mushihimesama Futari v 1.5: 2 points

Resident Evil 5: 1 point

eznark

Banned
jibblypop said:
When I made my list I noticed that and it seemed odd. Batman was the only good game I played on my 360 this year though. Maybe...I know, prepare for a shock..people just liked PS3 games this year?

RubxQub said:

I don't get that impression from GAF in general, although the PS3-only population can certainly be overly vocal. There's a fair amount of insecurity there. On the other hand, the PS3 really did have a good year.

Raxus

Batman Arkham Asylum: 3
Demon's Souls: 2
Plants vs. Zombies: 2
Street Fighter IV: 1
Borderlands: 1
Halo: ODST: 1

Wish I had more points :(

Jander

Banned
Uncharted 2 | 3 Points
inFAMOUS | 2 Points
Batman: Arkham Asylum | 2 Points
Flower | 2 Points
Killzone 2 | 1 Point

LosDaddie

Banned
RubxQub said:

GAF leans toward Sony consoles. I thought that was obvious to anyone who has been here a while.

That said; I can see why Uncharted2 would be on most GAFers' GotY list. I haven't finished the game, but I thought the 5hrs or so I played it was awesome. It would probably be in my Top 3 otherwise.

Also, no need to justify your MW2 GotY pick. The game is easily my most-played of 2009. I'd have no problem listing it as my GotY on that basis alone. Fuck the haters.

RubxQub said:

Absolutely. This year I absolutely agree with Uncharted 2 though.

HiResDes

cr_blah_blah said:
Absolutely. This year I absolutely agree with Uncharted 2 though.
Yeah Demon's Souls is damn good too; I am surprised it isn't fairing better. Although, it just so happens that most of my favorite games this year were multiplats.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
eznark said:
When I made my list I noticed that and it seemed odd. Batman was the only good game I played on my 360 this year though. Maybe...I know, prepare for a shock..people just liked PS3 games this year?

I have only had a PS3 for three weeks and I voted for those games because they impressed me the most. The only Xbox 360 exclusives I really liked this year were Shadow Complex and GTA IV Episodes, which I voted for.

There are cross platform games that I played on 360 but were a let down. I am not voting for MW2 because it is a fucking mess. I know some issues will get patched but my time spent with it in 2009 will go down as migraine inducing.

R0nn

Dragon Age: Origins - 2
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 2
Forza Motorsport 3 - 2
Machinarium - 1
Assassin's Creed II - 1
Demon's Souls - 1
Batman: Arkham Asylum - 1

Speevy

Banned
Uncharted 2 - 3 points
flower - 2 points
New Super Mario Brothers Wii - 2 points
Trials HD - 1 point
Numblast - 1 point
Pixeljunk Shooter - 1 point

Mardil

Uncharted 2 - 3
Modern Warfare 2 - 2
Resident Evil 5 - 2
New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 1
Batman Arkham Asylum - 1
Infamous - 1

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
RubxQub said:

It couldn't be that it had a stronger line-up, no? FWIW, of the sixI voted for, I put two games I played on 360 (Batman AA, GB) on. It had a bunch of decent games, but nothing GOTY caliber.

Demon's Souls - 3
Uncharted 2 - 2
Dragon Age: Origins - 1
Killzone 2 - 2

I like this voting system, But I'm seeing the same 8 games in every post. We might end up with a very short list.

Lince

Banned
TheRagnCajun said:
I like this voting system, But I'm seeing the same 8 games in every post. We might end up with a very short list.

well, there's a reason the thread topic is "Game of the Year", we could have another thread for posting our 20 favorite games of the year but this one is only for the best, usually no more than 5 games will fight each year for that "privilege".

RubxQub said:

I think we all know that not all of us have every console, but our own console distribution would skew our results. I'd love it if we could have the "as-is" list as well as a normalized list based on console ownership percentages.

eg: If 75% of the voters have PS3s and 50% of the voters have 360s, than the 360's numbers are inflated to account for the lost percentage of voters.

Can of worms and would be nearly impossible to get, but I'd love to see it.

Please don't start a console war over this post, just making an observation.

Overall I prefer my 360, but even hardcore XBOTs have to admit this was a weak year. IMO XBL Arcade was the 360's saving grace.

I hate that I'm going to most likely vote Uncharted 2 as my GotY. When possible I like to vote against the grain. Maybe something in my backlog can surpass it. ;)

J-Rzez

RubxQub said:

Or the PS3 had a superior line up this year. But it couldn't be that, naw. Go a make a poll thread or something on what consoles people own if it bothers you that much. This is the GOTY thread.

Alts

Not a fan of the new system. I think shifting the complexity of the system to the voters was a bad call. Someone already linked to my thread from a while ago, but here it is again: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=381248

My list
Demons' Souls (3)
Flower (2)
New Super Mario Bros Wii (2)
Wipeout Fury (2)
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (1)
Zeno Clash
MadWorld
ScribbleNauts

3 points: Demon's Souls

2 points: Uncharted 2, New Super Mario Bros. Wii

1 point: Batman: AA, Ratchet and Clank: ACiT, Assassin's Creed 2