• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Game of the Year 2009 - Voting Thread - 3 POINT SYSTEM, rules updated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spasm

Assassin's Creed II - 3
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 2
Resident Evil 5 - 2
Shadow Complex - 1
Forza Motorsport 3 - 1
Street Fighter IV - 1

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
3 - forza 3
2 - halo 3: odst
2 - shadow complex
1 - cod: mw 2
1 - need for speed shift
1 - dirt 2

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Modern Warfare 2- 3 Points
Borderlands - 2 Points
Halo 3: ODST - 2 Points
Resident Evil Five - 1 Point
Street Fighter IV - 1 Point
Left 4 Dead Two - 1 Point

My justification for giving MW2 my top spot is simple. I've put the most time into the multiplayer than I have for any other game on console to date (already logged ~5 days of playtime). The game was released with some game breaking bugs. The single player AI lacked any depth or realistic behavior. The story was nonsensical. The airport scene was unnecessarily serious in a game that allows people to run around at 50mph with a shotgun in each hand.

But the fact remains, I've logged in so much time and had so many fun experiences that I just can't ignore that this is my GotY.

It's the first game since the original Counter-Strike that's given me a great multiplayer experience, despite it's flaws.

I could have given this a 2 instead of a 3 due to all the release bugs, but I've clearly been willing to ignore them all and continue playing.

Not the most interesting choice on my part, but no MP game rewards me better or makes me more frustrated than MW2.

tturunen

Neo Member
Batman: AA - 3
DQ 5 (ds remake / eu) - 2
Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - 2
Uncharted 2 - 1
Forza 3 - 1
Shatter - 1

I love playing AC2 but that end just ruined whole game for me.
And I still got Dragon Age and Torchlight waiting.

faridmon

reading this thread made me realise how few new games i have played, nevertheless, here is my list:

Little King Story - 3
Dissidia: Final Fantasy - 2
Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulation (EU version) - 2
FIFA 10 - 2
Star Ocean: Second Evolution - 1

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Oh man, without a constant repost of the current standings, how am I suppose to remember all the games I've played this year?! :lol

edit:

I want to vote to extend the deadline to the proposed 9th. I don't even get The Crystal Bearers from Amazon till Jan 4th !

I'm for pushing the deadline to the 10th. I might be able to get around to Uncharted 2 if so. It would be a shame if it was disqualified from my illustrious list, given the weight it carries.

Rolf NB

Noshino said:
It isn't. Now the max score per game is 3, making votes count less per person. Meaning that niche games, which will be less voted for, are likely to have less points.
Nonsense. Under the old system the top 1 game received 10x as many points as the top 10 one. Under the current system the top 1 game can (at the choice of the voter) at most receive 3x as many as the lowest ranking one.

Hence it's actually harder now for a common top 1 game to wash away commonly listed but lower-ranked games.

The new system is better in precisely the aspect you complain about.
Shurs said:
Sure, I can post 40 games, but I only have 10 points to disperse. In order to get 10 games onto the GOTY master list, I have to give an equal point to every game, and that is where the problem lies.
Select the ones that matter the most.

jibblypop

Banned
A Boy and His Blob - 3
Street Fighter IV - 2
New Super Mario Bros Wii - 2
Trials HD - 1
Wii Sports Resort - 1
Raiden Fighters Aces - 1

RubxQub said:
Modern Warfare 2- 3 Points
Borderlands - 2 Points
Halo 3: ODST - 2 Points
Resident Evil Five - 1 Point
Street Fighter IV - 1 Point
Left 4 Dead Two - 1 Point

My justification for giving MW2 my top spot is simple. I've put the most time into the multiplayer than I have for any other game on console to date (already logged ~5 days of playtime). The game was released with some game breaking bugs. The single player AI lacked any depth or realistic behavior. The story was nonsensical. The airport scene was unnecessarily serious in a game that allows people to run around at 50mph with a shotgun in each hand.

But the fact remains, I've logged in so much time and had so many fun experiences that I just can't ignore that this is my GotY.

It's the first game since the original Counter-Strike that's given me a great multiplayer experience, despite it's flaws.

I could have given this a 2 instead of a 3 due to all the release bugs, but I've clearly been willing to ignore them all and continue playing.

Not the most interesting choice on my part, but no MP game rewards me better or makes me more frustrated than MW2.

You don't have to justify your MW2 pick to the Gaf "taste" tards. ;)

squicken

grandjedi6 said:

If you'll read the whole post, I said the best system is the one whoever is willing to do the work uses. Of the ones being discussed hypothetically, I preferred timetokill's. The world will still turn if the internet is denied the #10 game of random GAF user 5589.

I didn't know Rez wanted to do it. I don't know how that decision came about, I just hope there is only one thread.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Noshino said:
I don't think we are saying the same thing :C

With this new system, niche games have even less of a chance of appearing, which was one of the reasons as to why people were asking for change of yesterday's system, since people are voting more and more for blocbusters/more mainstream games, or so it seems...really defeats the purpose of the change.

Anyway, I ll wait eagerly for the results so that next year's format is change accordingly (no way we are going back to 1-to-10)
I know, and the current format is obviously a compromise. But at least it's much better than yesterday's format, which is what I was saying :p

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 3
Flower - 2
Batman: AA - 2
Mario Brothers Wii - 1
Ratchet & Clank - 1
Infamous - 1

Argh its hard to narrow it down, but here's what i've got. I still have plenty of games to get to still, so here's from what i've played. I probably would have Demon Soul's on the list but have only played the first area.

Mohonky

Assassins Creed 2 - 3
Borderlands - 2
Batman Arkham Asylum - 2
Forza 3 - 2
Mario & Luigi Bowsers Inside Story - 1

Baker

Banned
Assassin's Creed 2 - 3 points
Batman: Arkham Asylum - 2 points
Guitar Hero: Metallica - 2 points
Uncharted 2 - 1 point
Street Figher IV - 1 point
Demon's Souls - 1 point

Noshino

bcn-ron said:
Nonsense. Under the old system the top 1 game received 10x as many points as the top 10 one. Under the current system the top 1 game can (at the choice of the voter) at most receive 3x as many as the lowest ranking one.

Hence it's actually harder now for a common top 1 game to wash away commonly listed but lower-ranked games.

The new system is better in precisely the aspect you complain about.
Select the ones that matter the most.

Uh, I wasn't talking about the 1-to-10 system, I was talking about the one from yesterday's thread...

Turbo

Neo Member
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 3
Ratchet & Clack - 2
Infamous - 2
Batman : AA - 1
Modern Warfare 2 - 1
Demon Soul - 1

Wipeout HD fury - 2 points
Uncharted 2 - 2 points
MW2 (MP exclusively) - 2 points
Flower - 2 points
Pro evo 10 - 1 point
Anno 1404 - 1 point

I wish I could hand out 3 points, but I didn't see a DC revival (BELIEVE!!!) :D

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Warhammer40k: Dawn of War 2 - 3
Dragon Age: Origins - 2
Brütel Legend - 2
Guitar Hero Metallica - 2
Drop7 - 1

Jesus christ, those are the only games I bought this year and one of them is an iPhone game.

It seems my taste was not made for this year. Really there isn't a single game I feel I missed out on, except for maybe Batman AA.

Curufinwe

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 3 points

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor - 2 points

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 - 1 point
Resident Evil 5 - 1 point
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2 Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon - 1 point
Wipeout HD Fury - 1 point

pvpness

New Super Mario Bros Wii - 3
Little King's Story - 2
Demon's Souls - 2
Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks - 2
Shadow Complex - 1

Krispy Killa v3

Neo Member
Demons Souls - 3 -

Dragon Age Origins - 2 -

Star Ocean: The Last Hope - 2 -

Halo 3: ODST - 1 -

Knights in the Nightmare - 1 -

Assassins Creed 2 - 1 -

There is very little love on this list for Star Ocean: TLH... it wasnt that bad... right?

Az

Uncharted 2 - 3 points

Batman: AA - 2 points
Assassin's Creed 2 - 2 points

Killzone 2 - 1 point

I won't give MW2 any points. Hopefully I will return playing it someday, when it gets a bit smoother.

Lothars

Dragon Age Origins - 3
Assassin's Creed 2 - 2
Uncharted 2 - 2
Resident Evil 5 - 1
Modern Warfare 2 - 1
Brutal Legend - 1

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
New Super Mario Bros - 3
Spelunky - 3
Borderlands - 2
Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - 1
Resident Evil 5 - 1

vermadas

Demon's Souls - 3

Trials HD - 2
Batman: Arkham Asylum - 2

Uncharted 2 - 1
Red Faction Guerilla - 1
Modern Warfare 2 - 1

Aladuf

Banned
Uncharted 2 - 3 points
Modern Warfare 2 - 2 points
Borderlands - 1 point
Batman: AA - 1 point
Infamous - 1 point
Ghostbusters - 1 point
Halo ODST - 1 point

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
PopcornMegaphone said:
You don't have to justify your MW2 pick to the Gaf "taste" tards. ;)
Honestly it's more of a justification to myself as much as others :lol

If you read my posts in the MW2 thread, I'm almost always bitching about something. I've been dogging this game since it released...and yet I can't stop playing it.

That game as my #1 is such a double-edged selection, but if I search deep down in my soul...it's the only one.

I really hope timetokill pushes the deadline until 9th of January.
I'm not sure wheather I'm gonna finish Uncharted 2 until the 3rd and I'm not even gonna bother voting without playing that...

Congratulations to naughty dog for wining GAF's GotY (and probably many others).

mernst23

Batman: Arkham Asylum - 3
Resident Evil 5 - 2
Left 4 Dead 2 - 2
Metroid Prime Trilogy - 1
Halo 3: ODST - 1
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 - 1

Haven't played FM3, AC2 or MW2 yet, guh.

3 Points Uncharted 2
2 Points Assassin's Creed 2
2 Points Batman Arkham Asylum
1 Points Need for Speed: Shift
1 Points God of War Collection
1 Points Infamous

J-Rzez

Uncharted 2 - 3pts
Demon Souls - 2pts
Infamous - 1 pt
Ratchet ACiT - 1pt
Killzone 2 - 1pt
Batman AA - 1pt
A.Creed 2 - 1pt

Uncharted 2 - 3
Killzone 2 - 1
Flower - 1

I didn't play many games this year but the ones I did were released before 2009, like Mirror's Edge which I played a ton. Honorary mention goes to the Bad Company 2 beta, I spent a whopping 50 hours enjoying one map.

House of the Dead: Overkill - 3
Borderlands - 2
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - 2
MadWorld - 1
The Wizard of Oz: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road - 1
Ghostbusters - 1

Lagspike_exe said:
I really hope timetokill pushes the deadline until 9th of January.

It makes sense. A lot of 2009 games will be christmas presents, and people need time to play them.

IMO it should be pushed even further. Say the 15th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom