• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Game of the Year 2009 - Voting Thread - 3 POINT SYSTEM, rules updated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm not planning on voting because this thread really hasn't been executed well. Sorry to anyone involved.

No one was voting strategically last year. The voting was fair, the results were fair. This year we've had a mid-thread locking, unlocking, and rules change, a bunch of people are going to have to revote, and the resulting system doesn't provide any real improvement from last year's.

Really? You get ten points, and you get to give one game 3 points and distribute your other seven by giving other games from one to two points each or if you want you can split the 3 points into multiple games but if you do that every game has to get two points or one point? *shrugs*

Bigfoot

New SMB Wii - 3
Grand Slam Tennis - 2
Wii Sports Resort - 1
Mirror's Edge (PC) - 1
Bejeweled Blitz (iPhone, FB) - 1
geoDefense: Swarm (iPhone) - 1
Metroid Prime Trilogy - 1

esbern

Stumpokapow said:
I'm not planning on voting because this thread really hasn't been executed well. Sorry to anyone involved.

No one was voting strategically last year. The voting was fair, the results were fair. This year we've had a mid-thread locking, unlocking, and rules change, a bunch of people are going to have to revote, and the resulting system doesn't provide any real improvement from last year's.

Really? You get ten points, and you get to give one game 3 points and distribute your other seven by giving other games from one to two points each or if you want you can split the 3 points into multiple games but if you do that every game has to get two points or one point? *shrugs*
+1

XenoRaven

Street Fighter IV - 3 points

New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 2 points
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - 2 points
Resident Evil 5 - 2 points

Left 4 Dead 2 - 1 point

Dragon Age: Origins - 3 points

Batman AA - 2 points

Torchlight - 1 point
Left 4 Dead 2 - 1 point
Shadow Complex - 1 point
Borderlands - 1 point
Red Faction: Guerrilla - 1 point

Cryect

Batman: Arkham Asylum - 3
Left for Dead 2 - 2
Warhammer 40k Dawn of War II - 2
Borderlands - 1
inFamous - 1
New Super Mario Bros Wii - 1

Geoff9920

Modern Warfare 2 - 3
Uncharted 2 - 2
Forza 3 - 1
Batman AA - 1
Dragon Age: Origins - 1
Red Faction Guerrilla - 1
Street Figher 4 - 1

eXistor

Demon's Souls--3 points

Risen (PC)--1 points
Little King's Story--1 point
New Super Mario Bros. Wii--1 point
Uncharted 2--1 point
Dragon Age-1 point
Batman: Arkham Asylum-1 point
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story--1 point

New Super Mario Bros Wii - 3
Uncharted 2 - 2
Street Fighter IV - 1
Modern Warfare 2 - 1
Left 4 Dead 2 - 1
Batman: Arkham Asylum - 1
Splosion Man - 1

PasteyMF

Uncharted 2 - 3 points

Street Fighter IV - 2 points
Batman: AA - 2 points
Wipeout Fury - 2 points

Assassin's Creed 2 - 1 point

Kweh

Uncharted 2 - 3

Batman Arkham Asylum - 2
Tales of Vesperia - 2
Street Fighter IV - 2

Lerft 4 Dead 2 - 1

drkOne

First of all, thanks timetokill for all the effort you put on making this thread.
And I missed the locked voting thread/the reasons it was closed, so I'm not sure what happened there.
But I think the previous rules worked better. No one comes here with the "strategy vote" in mind, what would they win by doing that?
That said, this year I find myself in a position where I can either give two/more games the same amount of points, or else the difference of points between them is 2/3 or more.
Going by my list of games I was going to vote for, I can't pick a game to simply give 3, while the others will get 2 points max, the gap is too big. And I also don't find it fair to give them all the same points, because there were some I enjoyed more than others.
I won't be voting this year, and I didn't come here to boycott the thread, just thought I'd give my opinion on this year's rules.

ksamedi

Dragon Age origins: 3
Mario and Luigi: Bowsers inside story: 2
Tales of Vesperia: 2
New Super Mario Bros: 2
Zelda Spirit Tracks: 1

Borderlands - 3
Dirt 2 - 2
DJ Hero - 2
F.E.A.R. 2 - 1
Halo ODST - 1
Red Faction: Guerrilla - 1

drkOne said:
I won't be voting this year, and I didn't come here to boycott the thread, just thought I'd give my opinion on this year's rules.
2rqhant.gif

GPsych

I'm amazed at how few votes CoD:MW2 is getting. Actually, it looks like Killzone 2 currently has it beat. I didn't vote for either game, but I didn't play MW2 as I'm burnt out on shooters. What happened with MW2? Does it suck compared to the original? It's just surprising given that it had the largest opening of any game ever with regards to sales. Obviously, sales does not equal quality, but I would figure MW2 would still put up a good showing here. I actually wonder if it will even be in the top 5...

Slaylock

Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time - 3 points
Infamous - 2 points
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves - 2 points

Edit - misunderstood the scoring system

HiResDes

Stumpokapow said:

I've never heard anyone quibble so much about something so insignficant as gaf's game of the year voting...As if it were supposed to be scientific or something.

GPsych said:
I'm amazed at how few votes CoD:MW2 is getting. Actually, it looks like Killzone 2 currently has it beat. I didn't vote for either game, but I didn't play MW2 as I'm burnt out on shooters. What happened with MW2? Does it suck compared to the original? It's just surprising given that it had the largest opening of any game ever with regards to sales. Obviously, sales does not equal quality, but I would figure MW2 would still put up a good showing here. I actually wonder if it will even be in the top 5...
It's a great game, but full of very specific flaws that ruin the experience for some people. Also GAF is full of weeaboos that can't embrace their inner bro.

Macmanus

Zeno Clash - 3
Torchlight - 2
Dragon Age - 1

edit: Not done intentionally, but just noticed my top three are all new IPs. I'm gonna skim the pages and see how many ballets this applies to.

HiResDes

drkOne said:
First of all, thanks timetokill for all the effort you put on making this thread.
And I missed the locked voting thread/the reasons it was closed, so I'm not sure what happened there.
But I think the previous rules worked better. No one comes here with the "strategy vote" in mind, what would they win by doing that?
That said, this year I find myself in a position where I can either give two/more games the same amount of points, or else the difference of points between them is 2/3 or more.
Going by my list of games I was going to vote for, I can't pick a game to simply give 3, while the others will get 2 points max, the gap is too big. And I also don't find it fair to give them all the same points, because there were some I enjoyed more than others.
what the hell do you want then, a system based on decimals and not whole numbers? Again, seems awfully nitpicky for something that is suppose to be a rather fun activity.

HiResDes

Son of Godzilla said:
It's a great game, but full of very specific flaws that ruin the experience for some people. Also GAF is full of weeaboos that can't embrace their inner bro.
That's pretty spot on. And yes, I'm guilty as charged.

Uncharted 2 - 3 points

Batman Arkham Asylum - 2 points
Infamous - 2 points

Flower - 1 point
Killzone 2 - 1 point
Resident Evil 5 - 1 point

No_Style

Stumpokapow said:

This is how I felt. The Top 10 style was fine. Even GiantBomb is doing this with their user GOTY awards. And I was looking forward to making my top 10 for GAF as well. (I'm still making one for myself, but still..)

HiResDes said:
What is trials? I might look like an idiot, but I genuinely do not know.
It's like a motorcycle trick game, like a 2D platformer but with 3D graphics. I think there was a PC version but also a XBLA version.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Forza Motorsports 3 - 3pts
Demon's Souls - 2pts
Shadow Complex - 2pts
Modern Warfare 2 - 2pts
Dragon Age Origins - 1pt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom