• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf, help me get a new stop gag gpu before rtx 5090!

luca_29_bg

If OP has been happy running a rx 590 for six years I guarantee he ain't buying a 5090 😂

I snagged a 4070ti for £599 new on Amazon last month. Coming from a 2070super and it's a beast upgrade for that price. 4k max with dlss on newer titles and 4k max settings on anything 2 plus years old or older.
I wasn't happy and i didn't bought it six year ago, i had a very old computer till last october (i7 860) so a new powerful gpu wasn't an option, plus i had a full hd tv till last year as well, now that i have a 4k tv and a new pc, i want all the bells and whistles! But i will switch to nvidia with the most powerful gpu they have for the maximum impact, because i'm interested in raytracing and pathtracing. So for now i will remain with amd, and maybe i will switch to an 7900xt because it's more suited for 4k compared to the 7800. I'm on the fence right now! Tomorrow i have to contact the shop and see what i want to do (they will ship tuesday the 7800 already paid otherwise).

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
6750 xt is better than a 4060, closer to a 4070
It’s quite far from a 4070. It’s much closer to a 3070. Its one big advantage over it is the VRAM. In terms of performance, it falls slightly behind the 3070/2080 Ti but obviously is more preferable to the former due to its much larger VRAM.

Last edited:

buenoblue

I wasn't happy and i didn't bought it six year ago, i had a very old computer till last october (i7 860) so a new powerful gpu wasn't an option, plus i had a full hd tv till last year as well, now that i have a 4k tv and a new pc, i want all the bells and whistles! But i will switch to nvidia with the most powerful gpu they have for the maximum impact, because i'm interested in raytracing and pathtracing. So for now i will remain with amd, and maybe i will switch to an 7900xt because it's more suited for 4k compared to the 7800. I'm on the fence right now! Tomorrow i have to contact the shop and see what i want to do (they will ship tuesday the 7800 already paid otherwise).
Exactly, I find it hard to believe someone who didn't value upgrading from a mid range 6 year old system in all this time suddenly needs a GPU to tide him over to 5090, which is unannounced by the way. Just buy a 40 series card right now and you will be blown away. You obviously don't value cutting edge tech and performance otherwise you would of upgraded much sooner.

Nonehxc

It's stop GAP, my Mediterranean pastabro neighbour, gag is, for example, when you put something hard and long deep in your throat and you gag...like a 4090. 😆

xKV3TA4.gif

Last edited:

luca_29_bg

Exactly, I find it hard to believe someone who didn't value upgrading from a mid range 6 year old system in all this time suddenly needs a GPU to tide him over to 5090, which is unannounced by the way. Just buy a 40 series card right now and you will be blown away. You obviously don't value cutting edge tech and performance otherwise you would of upgraded much sooner.
I couldn't upgrade for money reason, now i can do it. It's so simple to understand. People on forums are very weird, they give themselves the answer they like more about completely totally strangers over internet. Boh :D

GreatnessRD

At this point you might as well check your local used market for something like a RX 6650 XT. No need to pay midrange prices when your endgoal GPU will be out by Q1 2025. Unless you just like to waste monies.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I would go for a 6800xt if it's just for a stop gap. No reason to spend too much on it. 350 USD will hold you over, keep in mind the 5090 is likely to be 2000, so if you can swing it for a few months it should do ok.

EDIT:
Oh you got a 7800xt. Still good. Thread over.

Last edited:

luca_29_bg

I would go for a 6800xt if it's just for a stop gap. No reason to spend too much on it. 350 USD will hold you over, keep in mind the 5090 is likely to be 2000, so if you can swing it for a few months it should do ok.

EDIT:
Oh you got a 7800xt. Still good. Thread over.

Actually a 7900xt, it will be shipped tomorrow or the day after! Thanks for the advice!

• Thoughtful
Reactions: amc

luca_29_bg

At this point you might as well check your local used market for something like a RX 6650 XT. No need to pay midrange prices when your endgoal GPU will be out by Q1 2025. Unless you just like to waste monies.

I got a 7900xt (because i have an 4k tv, and the extra performance at 4k it's useful for me) and i won't buy the 5090 on launch of course, maybe with with this gpu it can drive me to the 6090, because i want to swap to nvidia with the maximum performance possible with raytracing and pathtracing. But maybe Nvidia will do a miracle with 5090. Let's see!

MikeM

Gold Member
I got a 7900xt (because i have an 4k tv, and the extra performance at 4k it's useful for me) and i won't buy the 5090 on launch of course, maybe with with this gpu it can drive me to the 6090, because i want to swap to nvidia with the maximum performance possible with raytracing and pathtracing. But maybe Nvidia will do a miracle with 5090. Let's see!
I have the same GPU (AMD reference version). Bought it day 1 and its been fantastic. Repasting it soon though with the ptm7950 stuff on my vacation.

GreatnessRD

Ahh ok. 7900 XT is a fine card and you'll have a fun time with it for sure. It will definitely hold you over until you switch back to Nvidia and their enthusiast class.

buenoblue

You went from a six year old Rx 590 to a 7900xt as a 'stop gap' no dude this is your upgrade. What a weird thread. If you wanna buy a new GPU just buy one, we've all done it just use Google don't need to make this weird ass thread. I don't know why this annoys me so much 😂

luca_29_bg

You went from a six year old Rx 590 to a 7900xt as a 'stop gap' no dude this is your upgrade. What a weird thread. If you wanna buy a new GPU just buy one, we've all done it just use Google don't need to make this weird ass thread. I don't know why this annoys me so much 😂
Initially, i wanted a stop gag gpu for real, that's why i created this thread, to get some advices about the various models of gpu that are available, i wanted something decent at the lowest price possible, but then i watched some benchmark and i realized that i need extra performances right now because i have a 4k tv, and i didn't want to wait for the 5090 until next year. I could buy one if the performance will be very very impressive but after some years that i will exploited this! For then 6090 will be already out so who knows. I didn't kill anyone, so i also don't know why this bother you so much :p

RobRSG

If you suffered all this time with this ancient RX card, you can certainly wait a bit more to upgrade.

At least this is what I would do.

hinch7

Maybe an Intel Arc card? Can be found for pretty cheap. A750/A770 performs around a 3060/6600 to a 3060Ti depending on SKU.

Their resale value still very good and you can get back most of the cost when the 5090 launches.

Last edited:

luca_29_bg

Maybe an Intel Arc card? Can be found for pretty cheap. A750/A770 performs around a 3060/6600 to a 3060Ti depending on SKU.

Their resale value still very good and you can get back most of the cost when the 5090 launches.

Thank you but i have already made a decision, i have corrected the main post! ^_^

Last edited:
Top Bottom