• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Z

Questions for ya'll.

Do you buy into what any given artist projects? Especially when the messages are on the extreme end? For example gangster, thug and misogynistic projections. Do those messages ever bother or embarrass you or do you just view it as superficial entertainment? And if you do find it entertaining, why?

Is it because that you are vicariously living a (dark) fantasy through these artists? Also, what is your definition of "keeping it real?" If an artist projects the gangster/thug image but yet nothing happens to an opposing force when there's beef, does that mean that particular artist isn't "real"?

My take on all this can be summed up with this lyric: "In the real world; these just people with ideas/They just like me and you when the smoke and camera disappear"

Esch

Banned
Questions for ya'll.

Do you buy into what any given artist projects? Especially when the messages are on the extreme end? For example gangster, thug and misogynistic projections. Do those messages ever bother or embarrass you or do you just view it as superficial entertainment? And if you do find it entertaining, why?

Is it because that you are vicariously living a (dark) fantasy through these artists? Also, what is your definition of "keeping it real?" If an artist projects the gangster/thug image but yet nothing happens to an opposing force when there's beef, does that mean that particular artist isn't "real"?

My take on all this can be summed up with this lyric: "In the real world; these just people with ideas/They just like me and you when the smoke and camera disappear"
It's entertainment, unless it's kanye west. then its embarassing on a racial and national scale.

chuuuuuch

Master Z

It's entertainment, unless it's kanye west. then its embarassing on a racial and national scale.

chuuuuuch

Heh. I like to compare music (especially hip hop) to the film industry. It's primarily entertainment driven that caters to the lowest common denominator. Kayne West would be like your big budget summer blockbuster where one just turns off your brain, sits back and enjoys all the explosions, fancy cars and sexy woman. Everything is embellished, over the top with a plot that requires you to suspend your disbelief in order fully enjoy.

Then artists like say, Talib Kweli or The Roots are like independent films, character driven stories often with deep messages and social commentary.

Macca

I pretty much split the character from the person. But if what the person is rapping about is real, I think it makes me the music better for me.

Like, all that stuff about the Wu? Man, I believe what they say now.

It's odd in some cases though, listened to Below The Heavens by Blu last year, and he seemed like such a cool humble dude. Hearing and reading the opposite about him on here has changed the way I listen to his music a bit.

Master Z

I pretty much split the character from the person. But if what the person is rapping about is real, I think it makes me the music better for me.

Like, all that stuff about the Wu? Man, I believe what they say now.

It's odd in some cases though, listened to Below The Heavens by Blu last year, and he seemed like such a cool humble dude. Hearing and reading the opposite about him on here has changed the way I listen to his music a bit.
I was more inclined to believe that the Wu are as hard as they project because the evidence was there right from the start. Ghostface was shot in the neck and up on murder charges when 36 chambers dropped, then soon after that was the mis-adventures of ODB.

Blu obviously has some personal problems and vices that make him seem jaded but he's still a guy that I'd like to meet and have a few beers with. He seems like a complex person with an interesting story to tell.

Questions for ya'll.

I do my best to not be disingenuous about it. I don't really like the misogyny and homophobia that a lot rappers can't seem to get over. I always smile a bit when listening to "Ain't no fun" knowing Snoop and Kurupt are both married men now.

If a rapper is going to play the gangsta image, I'd rather it be guys who lived it or witnessed it. The Wu like you mentioned, spending time in shitty situations have credibility in my eyes. Its a reason I find Drake so off putting, I suppose there's not a whole lot to rap about when you grow up in a privileged suburb in Canada, it just seems like he'd rather play a character.

I can give leeway for metaphors and other devices like that involving gang life and violence, the same leeway I give movies or other genres of music. But I don't much like the glorification of ignorant ass ideas.

Pol_Pothead

Neo Member
Finally i'm in! I actually can't believe how fucking long it takes to join this shit I mean goddamn! I got asked for the action to activate my account last year on the 24th of August and it took till the 28th of January to verify! I only wanna talk about rap music every now and then and they got me waiting like i'm trying to get into some ultra exclusive white man country club or something! Plus I had to contact my university so i could use my old email as for some reason you're not allowed to use free ones like hotmail, that shit cra... actually I promised myself I wouldn't use that word anymore. Anyway...

1. Rank Kanye's albums

College Dropout < MBDTF < Late Registration < Graduation < WTT... and i'm still trying to block out that autotuned turd he had out. I might have dreamt that anyway so it's not making an appearance here.

2. Pick a coast to rep

The South Where The girls come thick, gettin' money ain't shit.

3. Pac or Biggie?

Gotta go with Biggie, if for nothing else other than him sounding better imo on this

4. Make a comparison between Wiz Khalifa and something soft

Wiz Khalifa is softer than a shitty diaper left in a bin for days during a freak heatwave. He is human candyfloss, and as Roc Marciano would say, he has a Haagen-Dazs heart

5. Who won the Jay-z Nas beef?

It's cliche at this point but Nas won the battle, Jay-z won the war. Plus Jigga left condoms in the babyseat if the super ugly song is to be believed so it's kinda debatable whether Nas even won the battle.

6. Flocka or Royce?

Royce up until around Bar Exam 2 which is a mixtape I was feeling a lot. Nowadays though i'm siding with flocka. FLEX!

7. What do you think of J Cole?

Looking back I feel a bit silly for not seeing his career trajectory going this way, but he's kinda becoming a slightly more lyrical Drake which is not good. I liked Come Up, Warm Up, and i feel Friday Night Lights is his best and most cohesive work as a whole, but Sideline Story was mostly some bullshit. Bet I could outfart him to. He strikes me as the kind of guy that does those lil pansy high pitched farts.

8. Who is the best Wu-Tang member?

Ghost has made the best solo albums so i'm siding with him.

9. Can 2pac rap or do Biggie got DAT FLOW?

Shit I think this kinda appeared twice in that picture I used to see the initiation questions but yeah i'm still going with Biggie.

10. Rate Lupe on a scale of 1-10

About 5 maybe. F&L and The Cool were pretty great, but he's always had an annoying tendency to try and overcomplicate his rapping by going further and further into punchlines and concepts that don't really need it. His opinions, hair, production choices, whining about fans downloading leaks and of course lasers also leave much to be desired. He has so much talent though so it will be good if he sorts himself out but right now I can't be arsed to give a fuck. I haven't even bothered to get round to listening to his newest dubsteppy mixtape in full yet.

11. Lil B. Genius or mentally challenged?

Mentally challenged guy with an occasionally genius ear for beats. Also his videos and random adlibs can be pretty fucking funny I admit but I don't care for his music in general. If I had been a famous rapper around the time, I would have released a mixtape titled 'I'm Straight' just to troll his ridiculous publicity stunt of an album I'm Gay. Plus he watered down the title by putting i'm happy in parentheses, what was the point?

12. Pick an era of Eminem

I was cool with most Eminem related material up until The Eminem Show. Approximately 75% of the stuff he does nowadays just makes me sad.

13. How does Drake write such deep lyrics?

Acting as a guy who from my understanding ended up in a wheelchair on that Degrassi show or whatever i'm sure gave him a much deeper appreciation for the human condition.

14. Is Nas old and dusted with a horrible ear for production?

Yes and no. Lyrically he's shown quite a few recent signs that he still has it but his ear for production has been less than impressive for a long fucking time.

15. Joe Budden; Introspective and witty, or annoying emo fetus killing asshole?

He's an annoying emo fetus killing asshole who also happens to be introspective and witty on occasion.

Albums of 2011:

Supa Villain - 40 Acres And A Muller
Kendrick Lamar - Section 80
Freddie Gibbs - Cold Day In Hell
Main Attrakionz - 808 & Dark Grapes II
G-Side - Island
Rittz - White Jesus
Ampichino & Young Bossi - Cop Heavy Gang
HD - Fresh: The Album
Zilla - Zilla Shit
Young Gully - David

Some Honorable Mentions/Mixtapes & EPs in no specific order

Danny Brown (XXX and Black & Brown with Black Milk)
Don trip & Starlito (Stepbrothers)
Supa Villain (Vill-rizon Wireless, I-10 Exit 34, Emmit Vill: from Frowns to Crowns)
Roc Marciano & Gangrene (Greneberg EP)
T-Nutty (Tonite Show)
Killer Mike (Pl3dge)
Joe Blow - You Should Be Payin' Me
Boldy James (Trappers Alley: Pros and Cons)
TKO Capone (Tropical Swaggin' Duh)
Davinci (Feast or Famine EP)
DJ Burn One (Joints)

25 Songs of 2011

King Louie - Get Money (MUBU Remix)
Cousin Fik - Pow
Kendrick Lamar - Hiipower
Big K.R.I.T. - Money On The Floor
G-Side - Jones
Freddie Gibbs - Let 'em Burn
Don Trip & Starlito - Life
Main Attrakionz ft. ASAP Rocky - Take 1
Bossman & DJ Cunta ft. R Dot - Debo
DB Tha General - Upgrade 'em 2
Schoolboy Q - Betigotsumweed
Roc Marciano - Emeralds
Danny Brown - Pac Blood
Kristmas - Simple Economics
Young Twizzy & Saint Nick - 3AM
Zilla ft. 2Eleven & Monster - Mella Hating
Young L ft. Freeway - Flourescent Lighting
TKO Capone - 1 Deep
T.I. ft. Big K.R.I.T. - I'm Flexin
Shady Nate ft. HD - Gimme Da Loot
Lil Wodie & Supamane - City Lights
Fat Trel - Respect With The Tech
Famlay ft. Three Six Mafia & Project Pat - Money Makin trick
Yelawolf ft. Eminem & Gangsta Boo - Throw It Up (If Shit I Seen was 2011, that instead)
Laroo ft. E-40 - Money To Blow

Verse Of The Year

Freddie Gibbs - Scottie Pippens

Man Of The Year

Supa Villain.

Tapes being enjoyed in 2012 so far

Schoolboy Q - Habits & Contradictions
Young Lox - Loxy Cotin
Livewire - M.A.F.I.A.
Dank - Cheech & Chong
Gucci Mane - Trap Back

Also I guess I better contribute something new to this thread so i'm going with this It should be on Rittz's new tape White Jesus: Revival which i'm quite looking forward to and really hoping its not just White Jesus with a few additions but alas the title seems to be strongly hinting at that.

overcast

chuuuuuch
tumblr_lyw7lbGofb1rovmado1_500.gif

Pol_Pothead

Neo Member
Cheers complex shadow! It feels good, can't even remember how I first stumbled across here and im not the kinda person who can normally be bothered to comment on the internet as lurking is more my style, but I love rap and that whole u-god business that was going on before had me laughing so hard I thought I was gonna have a stroke. I'm definitely up for an ASAP/schoolboy project of some kind. Habits is some good shit. ASAP kinda annoys me because all he seems 2 do is appropriate certain tropes and ways of enunciating from the south without really doing anything interesting with them. But I wont deny he has a few good songs like Wassup, Trilla and Kissing Pink off of liveloveasap. Also any of you see that snippet from the live performance of the pretty flacko remix asap is doing with waka? That shit's gonna have me swagging hard enough to cause a mini earthquake in my room I know it! But anyway yeah they Rocky and Schoolboy work really well together as has been previously noted. I read somewhere that Rocky gonna team up to do a project with Araabmuzik called Asapmuzik as well, im on my phone otherwise I would try to link it but that might be something to look forward to as well.

RJT

I am doing a speech on how to rap. Does anyone know of any interesting statistics related to writing rap lyrics?

http://rapmetrics.wordpress.com/ has some cool shit.

Example:

Variance is defined as:

a measure of how far a set of numbers are spread out from each other.

The smaller the number, the more consistent the track. Here&#8217;s some numbers from random songs:

screen-shot-2011-09-26-at-8-23-21-pm.png
´

Notice Juicy J and Gucci, bother hovering around 1.40 in syllable variance, are the lowest by quite a lot. I think this is a trend we&#8217;d see over a big sample size. Gucci and Juicy J&#8217;s sound is largely characterized by their writing styles. There&#8217;s a rhythm built by this repetition and structure that&#8217;s very fun to listen to.

The other day I did an analysis of pronoun usage in rap songs. Nas&#8217; Illmatic was high on the list. Telling stories how Nas did on Illmatic is what fans love about him. When he stopped doing this, he started making less quality music. So, maybe on Illmatic he was using words like &#8220;I&#8221;, &#8220;me&#8221;, &#8220;myself&#8221; etc. more? The data:

screen-shot-2011-09-15-at-11-57-50-pm.png

Hooray! Data that supports the thesis that Nas fell off when he stopped writing stories from his own POV. Also, some proof that Stillmatic was a comeback album!

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
SDRR.png

Planet VI - Think Rich

I can't believe no one has posted anything by Planet VI.
Download The American Dream. Shit is jamming!!!!!!!!

Planet VI feat Killa Kyleon - Money. Anything Kyleon is FIRE
Planet VI feat 2 Chainz and Jarren Benton - Fuck you too. Anything 2Chainz is FIRE

Planet VI - Tryna Make it in America. THIS MADE ME CRY WITH HAPPINESS!

I'll check out the music in a bit, but right now I'm more pre-occupied with the chick in the album art...must find source.

Macca

I am doing a speech on how to rap. Does anyone know of any interesting statistics related to writing rap lyrics?
If you haven't already you should read this book. How To Rap. It's really fantastic, even if you aren't interested in writing your own rhymes, it really gives perspective on just how talented the people at the top are.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Questions for ya'll.

I stopped believing 99% of rappers years ago. As far as I'm concerned they are all entertainers embellishing their lives to make entertaining music. And I'm ok with that unless they try to bring it into the real world (see Drake and the whole tattoo artist thing).

Detox

Ice T made a hiphop documentary, Something From Nothing: The Art of Rap which is being shown at Sundance. The trailer looks great.

Synopsis:
Hip-hop didn’t invent anything . . . hip-hop reinvented everything.—Grandmaster Caz

Visually luscious and drenched with the big beats of classic cuts and freestyle rhyming by some of the masters of the music, SOMETHING FROM NOTHING: THE ART OF RAP is a performance documentary about the runaway juggernaut that is hip-hop. At the wheel of this unstoppable beast is Ice-T. The practitioner/filmmaker, with codirector Andy Baybutt, takes us on a personal journey into the asphalt roots of the music that saved his life.

This film is not about stardom, bling, or beef; it’s about craft and skill—what goes on inside the minds and erupts from the pens of rap legends. Ice-T travels from coast to coast, engaging intimately with the likes of Afrika Bambaataa, Grandmaster Caz, Nas, Mos Def, Eminem, Chuck D, KRS-One, Run-DMC, Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, and Snoop Dogg. What emerges is a mighty soul tribute to the original American art form that brought poetry to a new generation.

Questions for ya'll.

Kinda falling into this Section 80/Hiiipower shit. Even though I was born in the 90's

this needs to happen. sprinkle a few kendrick verses on there and it could easily be my AOTY

Not if that Kendrick/Cole joint comes out this year.

Macca

Damn, too bad I didn't like Yela's last efforts so far. I would endorse this statement otherwise.
Originally the plan was Yela going over some of Krits beats, and Krit going over some of Yela's and then some new tracks done together. Shit sounded hot. I hope it still gets done.

Originally the plan was Yela going over some of Krits beats, and Krit going over some of Yela's and then some new tracks done together. Shit sounded hot. I hope it still gets done.

Sounds dope, hopefully Yela is featured on a song or two on this new KRIT tape coming up. Could be a mind changer.
Also, woke up and started playing Big Seans Album this morning, it's production rivals some of the best of last years no doubt.

Macca

Do we even have any idea who is going to be on either Krits tape or album? Seems like we haven't heard much at all. I mean, the tape is out in less than 2 weeks and the album is supposed to be out relatively soon too.

Also, first track off White Jesus Revival - Rittz ft. Nikkiya - Paradise. Pretty smooth. Definitely would prefer more like High Five though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Coco is like Venus of Willendorf. Or like an RPG character when you take every slider and crank it to the max to see what kind of estranged, disproportional creation would result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom