• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldvein

Banned
Pinko Marx said:
they're a record label, I know.
Let me specify then. He'd listen only to Atmosphere, Brother Ali, & Mac Lethal. All day everydamn day when he wasn't blasting some shitty rock song crying about girls or Christian folk music (which, oddly enough, was the most tolerable thing).
This isn't rhymesayers but he had this shit on repeat for a week. NONSTOP. It hurt to listen to it even now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGt54Ozo8LQ

in that case, i can understand your disgust. but to write off every rhymesayers MC as shit would be foolish imo. slug is one of the greats, ali is okay, mac lethal is genius. but if that's all you hear every day even they can get old.

and that song is horrible.

He was some redneck dood from Pennsylvania. I liked him. Good roommate. He walked in on me masturbating and didn't make a big deal out of it.

coldvein

Banned
kamspy said:
Perfect example. Mad Creed / Nickelback raps on that label that sound a lot like this. Can't fux with it.

you really have no respect for rhymesayers entertainment? c'monson.gif

slug, POS, eyedea (rip), are some of the best straight writers that rap has ever seen.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Anyone who hates everything Rhymesayers has to offer is a fucking idiot who doesn't know shit about music and probably should just go off himself in a corner somewhere. I don't believe kamspy is that fucking stupid. He's just trying to rile up other posters.

coldvein

Banned
siddx said:
Anyone who hates everything Rhymesayers has to offer is a fucking idiot who doesn't know shit about musich and probably should just go off himself in a corner somewhere. I don't believe kamspy is that fucking stupid. He's just trying to rile up other posters.

agreed. and i'm willing to get riled up. hahaha

Rhymesayers as a whole shits on 99% of every other indie label
P.O.S.
Grieves
Atmosphere
Mac Lethal (not sure if he is still there though)
Eyedea
Jake One

Only other indie I fuck with that comes close is QN5 but really that's just Cunninlynguist + tonedeff

siddx

coldvein said:
agreed. and i'm willing to get riled up. hahaha

I've also always said that I can understand if Atmosphere isn't someone's thing, I mean it makes them an inferior human being if they don't like Atmosphere but hey thats just life, some people are lesser human beings. But with such a large and varied catalog, if you cant find at least ONE song by them that you can relate to, you are just dead inside. You might as well get stuffed with packing peanuts and have someone shove their hand up your ass and use you as a puppet to keep children entertained cause you died long ago.

GodfatherX said:
Rhymesayers as a whole shits on 99% of every other indie label
P.O.S.
Grieves
Atmosphere
Mac Lethal (not sure if he is still there though)
Eyedea
Jake One

Only other indie I fuck with that comes close is QN5 but really that's just Cunninlynguist + tonedeff

When Def Jux was doing it big no one was fucking with it.

coldvein

Banned
there is the 1% that they don't shit on:

el-p, del, SA smash, c-rayz, camu tao (rip), aesop rock, lif, cage, murs, dizzee (fucking) rascal..

edit: (yes, i'm talking about def jux).

coldvein

Banned
and if we want to get into the glory days, there's this group called can ox.. a record called "the cold vein".. even kam would love the shit.

siddx

coldvein said:
and if we want to get into the glory days, there's this group called can ox.. a record called "the cold vein".. even kam would love the shit.

I have to be honest, I didn't like can ox at all. However I listened to cold vein during my short pop rap faze in college where I was almost exclusively listening to radio/club rap. If I had heard it just a few years before during my underground rap obsession times, I probably would have loved it.

coldvein

Banned
siddx said:
I have to be honest, I didn't like can ox at all. However I listened to cold vein during my short pop rap faze in college where I was almost exclusively listening to radio/club rap. If I had heard it just a few years before during my underground rap obsession times, I probably would have loved it.

man. i'm sorry to hear that. give it another shot sometime. to me, the cold vein is the NY rap record. over everything.

my life's not right.. my life's not right.. you ready?
see, i exist. iron fist.
metal speech. scientist.
came out the womb of a phoenix,
expect nothin less, than a mature flame
velocity's my plane
my thought is my train
the galaxy is the body
the sun is the heart
and the black hole is the brain.

IrishNinja

you burnin' the candle at both ends/I'm supposed to be the friend, I'm gettin' fried in the end
the big bang theory: what is this a trend?/you ask a girl out, and the universe extends

kamspy

Well, I was kinda trolling at first. Then I went to the Rhymesayers website and clicked a few of the names mentioned here. Now I'm actually more inclined to roll with my previous post.

What am I missing? I played the main video displayed on the artist pages. Are those bad examples?

coldvein

Banned
kamspy said:
Well, I was kinda trolling at first. Then I went to the Rhymesayers website and clicked a few of the names mentioned here. Now I'm actually more inclined to roll with my previous post.

What am I missing? I played the main video displayed on the artist pages. Are those bad examples?

i can't say, cuz i don't realy check the website. my advice: go to your local record store. buy a copy of el-p's record "i'll sleep when you're dead". next time yr takin the kids to soccer practice in your minivan (i know it has a cd player) rock that shit instead of your normal wacca flacca gucci blacca ching chang. just give it a shot.

njean777

Rhymesayers is fucking amazing, Grieves alone makes it worth more then most labels for me at least. I need to check out more artisits on the label.

DominoKid

kamspy said:

I never took you for the type that likes nerd rap so I doubt you'll like much on the Rhymesayers roster.

I'm very familiar with them from my past as well as being subjected to that shit by my roommate on a daily basis. I hold a special hate in my heart for Atmosphere because of him.

Out of all their artists the only ones I fuck with are Freeway, DOOM & Jake One.
Eyedea too but he's dead. RIP

the rest of that shit?
oprah-smh-o.gif

Stones Throw > Rhymesayers. comparable rappers, far better producers. although both of them are shells of what they used to be.

What's the best Common album to start off with?

Also Rhymesayers is great. Atmosphere, Eyedea and Abilities are good. I've heard Doomtree is good as well.

coldvein

Banned
DominoKid said:
I never took you for the type that likes nerd rap so I doubt you'll like much on the Rhymesayers roster.

I'm very familiar with them from my past as well as being subjected to that shit by my roommate on a daily basis. I hold a special hate in my heart for Atmosphere because of him.

Out of all their artists the only ones I fuck with are Freeway, DOOM & Jake One.
Eyedea too but he's dead. RIP

the rest of that shit?
oprah-smh-o.gif

Stones Throw > Rhymesayers. comparable rappers, far better producers. although both of them are shells of what they used to be.

nerd rap?

coldvein

Banned
CoffeeJanitor said:
I've heard Doomtree is good as well.

doomtree is 5,000x hotter than rhymesayers right now. i've argued (with much resistance in this thread) that they're the dopest crew in america.

check:

P.O.S.: Never Better
SIMS: Badtime Zoo
Dessa: A Badly Broken Code
Cecil Otter: Rebel Yellow

also, check www.doomtree.net to download andrew sims' FREE wildlife EP. basically cuts that didn't make his full length, but pretty damn good. and free.

siddx

kamspy said:

I'm not sure why Im bothering, I already know you'll claim to dislike everything. But perhaps others will find something they like.

You're a father right?

Atmosphere - Good Daddy

Atmosphere - Little Man

Three of the greatest verses ever written, Brother Ali : Tightrope

Then again you do profess to dislike thoughtful lyrics so how about this, Brother Ali - Bad muthafucka part 2

Maybe something ridiculous instead, Hail Mary Mallon - Grubstake
bonus for others: the most ridiculous hip hop video in recent years Breakdance Beach

Who doesn't lik a good Premo beat? Evidence - You

Something darker? Grayskul - Prom Quiz

Maybe Kam just doesn't like white rappers, POS - Drumroll
Blueprint - Keep Bouncing
Toki Wright - DEvil's Advocate
Abstract Rude - Nuff Fire

coldvein

Banned
sid getting crazy with the links.

drumroll is off the fucking chain. don't know if the (early next year?) POS album could top never better.. which might be one of the most aptly named records of all time.

edit for siddx: read a recent interview with slug where he was asked "what's exciting to you in music right now?" and his answer was "first and foremost, my friend steph (AKA POS).".

siddx

coldvein said:
sid getting crazy with the links.

drumroll is off the fucking chain. don't know if the (early next year?) POS album could top never better.. which might be one of the most aptly named records of all time.

edit for siddx: read a recent interview with slug where he was asked "what's exciting to you in music right now?" and his answer was "first and foremost, my friend steph (AKA POS).".

POS had some very good buzz when Never Better dropped, I was seeing them talked about in wider circles and it was clear he had a lot of support from the label and other artists. To be honest some of the production on the album wasn't my thing but POS himself is great. I'm definitely looking forward to the next one.

coldvein

Banned
siddx said:
POS had some very good buzz when Never Better dropped, I was seeing them talked about in wider circles and it was clear he had a lot of support from the label and other artists. To be honest some of the production on the album wasn't my thing but POS himself is great. I'm definitely looking forward to the next one.

i guess the prod. on never better is hate or love. drumroll is a good example. to me, it was some of the newest rawest shit to come around in a long time. just my opinion.

(there are a couple exceptions. goodbye, and get smokes.. pretty standard shit)

DominoKid said:
I'm biased because other than Kanye, DOOM is the most influential artist to my development as a hip hop fan. One of the few artist's i'll straight stan out for.

DOOM is...literally the most clever and hilarious rapper I've ever heard. I think the reason why his fans love him, aside from the fact that he's a pretty good producer, is because of how he can twist simple phrases into some incredibly dope shit but he'll do it in a roundabout way. DOOM can tell you water is wet without you noticing it. He's one of the few rappers whose ability actually impresses me. You hear it and you realize the difficulty of his writing style.

I still pick up lines of his from 5+ years ago that I finally understand. You have to really be on your shit to pick up what he's talking about.

DOOM ain't for everybody though. I think the main thing that a lot of people don't like about him is that he sounds like disregards the beat and just ramble flows. I hear that a lot.

He's also a bit of a sketchy person. The DOOMposter issue rubbed a lot of people the wrong way although I thought it was hilarious and unintentionally in character. Or maybe it was intentional I can see why people would be mad about it though.

If ever an underground rapper had a claim for the GOAT, DOOM's your guy. I'll put his abilities and discography against anybody.

Best post since my return post. Props

siddx

coldvein said:
i guess the prod. on never better is hate or love. drumroll is a good example. to me, it was some of the newest rawest shit to come around in a long time. just my opinion.

I love drumroll, but for instance I'm not very fond of how Purex goes spastic with the drums. But the album i mostly great material.

coldvein

Banned
siddx said:
I love drumroll, but for instance I'm not very fond of how Purex goes spastic with the drums. But the album i mostly great material.

yeah, i guess that's where the catch is. me, i love that shit. especially knowing that homeboy recorded those drums live himself.

outside of the production and such, though. i don't think anyone would disagree that he's one of the best rappers in america. tight, fast when he wants to be, lyrics smart and layered as fuck. if there's another cat who has as much going lyrically as steph does i'd like to hear his shit.

Dmented

Banned
DominoKid said:
I'm biased because other than Kanye, DOOM is the most influential artist to my development as a hip hop fan. One of the few artist's i'll straight stan out for.

DOOM is...literally the most clever and hilarious rapper I've ever heard. I think the reason why his fans love him, aside from the fact that he's a pretty good producer, is because of how he can twist simple phrases into some incredibly dope shit but he'll do it in a roundabout way. DOOM can tell you water is wet without you noticing it. He's one of the few rappers whose ability actually impresses me. You hear it and you realize the difficulty of his writing style.

I still pick up lines of his from 5+ years ago that I finally understand. You have to really be on your shit to pick up what he's talking about.

DOOM ain't for everybody though. I think the main thing that a lot of people don't like about him is that he sounds like disregards the beat and just ramble flows. I hear that a lot.

He's also a bit of a sketchy person. The DOOMposter issue rubbed a lot of people the wrong way although I thought it was hilarious and unintentionally in character. Or maybe it was intentional I can see why people would be mad about it though.

If ever an underground rapper had a claim for the GOAT, DOOM's your guy. I'll put his abilities and discography against anybody.
Agree completely. Absolutely love DOOM, I had a hard time with him at first but he grew on me fast. Can't say much else that you haven't covered.

siddx

coldvein said:
yeah, i guess that's where the catch is. me, i love that shit. especially knowing that homeboy recorded those drums live himself.

outside of the production and such, though. i don't think anyone would disagree that he's one of the best rappers in america. tight, fast when he wants to be, lyrics smart and layered as fuck. if there's another cat who has as much going lyrically as steph does i'd like to hear his shit.

I would think you'd be a fan of Grayskul's Deadlivers album since you're such a cold vein fan and grayskul pretty much said cold vein inspired that entire album.

coldvein

Banned
siddx said:
I would think you'd be a fan of Grayskul's Deadlivers album since you're such a cold vein fan and grayskul pretty much said cold vein inspired that entire album.

we're on a first name basis.

Esch

Banned
coldvein said:
the only thing def jux has put out i'm really into. thats some john blaze shit. amazing production

oh and of course stones throw>>>>>rhymesayers

coldvein

Banned
EschatonDX said:
the only thing def jux has put out i'm really into. thats some john blaze shit. amazing production

oh and of course stones throw>>>>>rhymesayers

john blaze shit? it's otherworldly shit. the production on coldvein is like going to coney island and getting a rainbow sno cone laced with LSD and shards of shrapnel. total mindfuck.

(disclosure: i've never been to coney island. yall know what i mean tho.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom