• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Now that I've given it a better listen in the car, it's actually not that bad. I only made it to track 12 before I reached my destination but being able to listen to it without gaf's bitchy little girl voice influencing me and with some decent subs made a big difference.
The only negatives I found were 1. A lack of energy production wise in some of the tracks. They are still great beats, just not yelawolf beats I've come to expect.
2. The hooks in the middle chunk range from tolerable to crimes against humanity. A lot of the songs in that section are actually pretty damn good, but the generic female with an average voice singing the hook ruins the fuck out of the enjoyment.

1. radioactive intro : Good intro, nice little verse and a decent low key beat but probably will get skipped some. 3/5
2. get away : Not feeling shawty or mystikals verses at all, but the beat is good 3/5
3. Lets roll : Maybe the fact it doesn't sound like kid rock is why I actually like the hook. Good song, but this is the third song in a row that didn't hit me in the face with the yela energy 3.5/5
4. Hard White : heard it long ago but I still love this track. Heres that energy I was looking for. 5/5
5. Growing up the gutter : Just a solid song, nothing remarkable but enjoyable 3.5/5
6. Throw it up : again, heard it before, still like it, but I was hoping for a beat with more energy. But regardless, good song. 4/5
7. Good girl : For what is is, it's a good track. I like the beat, the hook is stupid but for a song about girls meant to make them buy the album, it's not half bad. 3/5
8. Made in the USA : Beat is great, verses are great, hook is fucking horrible. This would be a 4/5 song if the hook didn't mangle it. 2.5/5
9. Animal : I can see why some people are flipping over this track. Personaly I love the beat, but Im a sucker for a good electrohiphop type beat. Lots of energy, yela comes correct. It's the hook once again that is the issue. Parts of it actually sound almost decent, but the entire hook is just cringe worthy as a whole. 3.5/5
10. The Hardest Love song : Great beat, and yes it's another song about girls but the hook is only somewhat shit, it's still listenable. Beat nets it a 4/5
11. Write Your Name : Fuck this shit. I hit skip the second that girl's voice started singing. It fucking pierced into my brain and fucked it with no lube and with no rubber on. Maybe the rest of the song is good but I might never know. 0/5
12. Everything I love the Most : This song is fucking great and fuck you if you disagree. Reminds me of being on a my grandparents farm in Georgia in the summer. Just some feel good southern shit. 4.5/5

Looking forward to hearing the rest on my way home. I expect all those scores to drop or rise by .5 over the next week.

Oh and yes I'm buying the album.

PBY

Banned
siddx said:
Now that I've given it a better listen in the car, it's actually not that bad. I only made it to track 12 before I reached my destination but being able to listen to it without gaf's bitchy little girl voice influencing me and with some decent subs made a big difference.
The only negatives I found were 1. A lack of energy production wise in some of the tracks. They are still great beats, just not yelawolf beats I've come to expect.
2. The hooks in the middle chunk range from tolerable to crimes against humanity. A lot of the songs in that section are actually pretty damn good, but the generic female with an average voice singing the hook ruins the fuck out of the enjoyment.

1. radioactive intro : Good intro, nice little verse and a decent low key beat but probably will get skipped some. 3/5
2. get away : Not feeling shawty or mystikals verses at all, but the beat is good 3/5
3. Lets roll : Maybe the fact it doesn't sound like kid rock is why I actually like the hook. Good song, but this is the third song in a row that didn't hit me in the face with the yela energy 3.5/5
4. Hard White : heard it long ago but I still love this track. Heres that energy I was looking for. 5/5
5. Growing up the gutter : Just a solid song, nothing remarkable but enjoyable 3.5/5
6. Throw it up : again, heard it before, still like it, but I was hoping for a beat with more energy. But regardless, good song. 4/5
7. Good girl : For what is is, it's a good track. I like the beat, the hook is stupid but for a song about girls meant to make them buy the album, it's not half bad. 3/5
8. Made in the USA : Beat is great, verses are great, hook is fucking horrible. This would be a 4/5 song if the hook didn't mangle it. 2.5/5
9. Animal : I can see why some people are flipping over this track. Personaly I love the beat, but Im a sucker for a good electrohiphop type beat. Lots of energy, yela comes correct. It's the hook once again that is the issue. Parts of it actually sound almost decent, but the entire hook is just cringe worthy as a whole. 3.5/5
10. The Hardest Love song : Great beat, and yes it's another song about girls but the hook is only somewhat shit, it's still listenable. Beat nets it a 4/5
11. Write Your Name : Fuck this shit. I hit skip the second that girl's voice started singing. It fucking pierced into my brain and fucked it with no lube and with no rubber on. Maybe the rest of the song is good but I might never know. 0/5
12. Everything I love the Most : This song is fucking great and fuck you if you disagree. Reminds me of being on a my grandparents farm in Georgia in the summer. Just some feel good southern shit. 4.5/5

Looking forward to hearing the rest on my way home. I expect all those scores to drop or rise by .5 over the next week.

pretty much cosign all of this

siddx

Beezy said:
Radioactive is not what I was expecting. Where's my bass? I just wanted more Trunk Musik. :(

The minute he signed to shady I worried about this. Radioactive isn't an album for fans of Trunk Muzik, it's an album for fans of Recovery. You can smell the label and em's guiding hand in it. "Dude, that trunk muzik is good and all, but if you want to sell, you have to target white teens and girls. Dedicate at least a third of your album to making them buy your shit and you'll be successful."
Its the same formula every single major release this year from Lil Wayne to Game to Cole have followed. Like I said above, I like the album so far, but yeah, its not trunk muzik. It's not going to get nearly as much play as that album did. But maybe he'll put out a mixtape with more of that sound.

Detox

Throavium said:
I welcome Luda to the Temple of Hip-Hop.

Speaking of which they updated the site, subscription based lol
0C8ml.png

siddx

Also, its not even that he has girls singing hooks on those tracks. Cause Speaker Sex is one of my favorite Yela tracks and it's largely because of the great hook. It's just how fucking generic and awful the girls he got to sing the hook are. Animal is the only one that actually sounds somewhat non generic but it just doesn't work. If the hook was on a different beat, I'd probably like it.

PBY

Banned
siddx said:
Also, its not even that he has girls singing hooks on those tracks. Cause Speaker Sex is one of my favorite Yela tracks and it's largely because of the great hook. It's just how fucking generic and awful the girls he got to sing the hook are. Animal is the only one that actually sounds somewhat non generic but it just doesn't work. If the hook was on a different beat, I'd probably like it.
He should have gotten Kesha to do it.

Once people start talking about "growers" the album is usually dead to me. Almost nothing has ever grown on me for as long as I can remember. I loved Trunk Music right away, and despite only hearing it toward the end of last year it still made my top 10. Radioactive on the other hand left me feeling disappointed, and I won't be able to shake that. Ever. :/

siddx

peterb0y said:
He should have gotten Kesha to do it.

You know what, I actually fucking love Kesha. I want to fuck her in the butt, go out to breakfast with her, get drunk as fuck with her while sitting in a kiddie pool, and do it all over again. Her music is stupid but enjoyable. I fuck with kesha way more than any of the other pop/rnb/electro singers out there like gaga, beyonce and rihannastein.

PBY

Banned
siddx said:
You know what, I actually fucking love Kesha. I want to fuck her in the butt, go out to breakfast with her, get drunk as fuck with her while sitting in a kiddie pool, and do it all over again. Her music is stupid but enjoyable. I fuck with kesha way more than any of the other pop/rnb/electro singers out there like gaga, beyonce and rihannastein.
haha i was totally being serious, shed fit the beat so well; I think I like rihanna overall more though

njean777

siddx said:

Tell us how you really feel about kesha... :p

Beezy

siddx said:
The minute he signed to shady I worried about this. Radioactive isn't an album for fans of Trunk Muzik, it's an album for fans of Recovery. You can smell the label and em's guiding hand in it. "Dude, that trunk muzik is good and all, but if you want to sell, you have to target white teens and girls. Dedicate at least a third of your album to making them buy your shit and you'll be successful."
Its the same formula every single major release this year from Lil Wayne to Game to Cole have followed. Like I said above, I like the album so far, but yeah, its not trunk muzik. It's not going to get nearly as much play as that album did. But maybe he'll put out a mixtape with more of that sound.
Yeah, you're right. I agree with most of your track for track review also. Let me know what you think of the track 'Radio'. It's the only track I outright skipped after the first couple of seconds. It's probably not even bad, but it's not something that I ever expected from him. That and 'Write Your Name' are the two most offensive ones imo.

PBY

Banned
Beezy said:
Yeah, you're right. I agree with most of your track for track review also. Let me know what you think of the track 'Radio'. It's the only track I outright skipped after the first couple of seconds. It's probably not even bad, but it's not something that I ever expected from him. That and 'Write Your Name' are the two most offensive ones imo.
I like Radio- his storytelling is pretty good on that song.

CRS

Acid08 said:
Those are sick. Can you preorder them anywhere?
I don't think so. I tried looking too but Converse just announced them today so I think it might be a little while. They are being released in February though so if there is a pre-order, it should be pretty soon.

Gorillaz is doing the same thing KiD CuDi did on that Summer track with Best Coast and Rostam of Vampire Weekend for Converse so I hope the other two collaborators for the Gorillaz' track are dope.

More music, Kno remixed JMSN's Alone track.

JMSN – Alone (Kno Remix)

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
kamspy said:
This mix needs Mack 10 - Foe Life and Ice Cube - Ghetto Vet.

Otherwise, it's pretty much perfect. The Lil John kinda doesn't fit. But overall it's my favorite WCW.

Used Foe Life a few mixes ago, but I was thinking he same thing. Basically Mack 10's the name replaced it.

Ll John doesn't fit, but Cube sounds so good on Crunk beats..

Not sure where I am going next week...

siddx

Mack 10 is so embarrassingly bad. He has a few songs worth listening to but for the most part he is just a wack ass mess.

Blackace

siddx said:
Mack 10 is so embarrassingly bad. He has a few songs worth listening to but for the most part he is just a wack ass mess.

That's true. But when he was Ice Cube Jr he wasn't so bad... and he did fit WSC...

siddx

Blackace said:
That's true. But when he was Ice Cube Jr he wasn't so bad... and he did fit WSC...

WSC is the only time I've enjoyed him. Perhaps because he had two actually talented west coast vets around to push him to up his game. Stress of stepping his shit up got to him though and he had to bitch out and run after album number 2.

edit: I know thats not why Mack left WSC, im just playin. But the comment about Cube and WC forcing him to get his shit together rap wise remains.

Blackace

siddx said:
WSC is the only time I've enjoyed him. Perhaps because he had two actually talented west coast vets around to push him to up his game. Stress of stepping his shit up got to him though and he had to bitch out and run after album number 2.

edit: I know thats not why Mack left WSC, im just playin. But the comment about Cube and WC forcing him to get his shit together rap wise remains.

Mack 10's self-titled album was decent.. because Cube was overseeing it. Then he started doing his own thing and started sucking.. made a label and signed worthless West Coast Talent like Yukmouth and Eiht. Then talked Cube into making a 2nd album and tried to rob the Don MEGA...

iavi

Google just announced at their conference that Busta is going to debut his new album exclusively on Google Music. They say that the first single is up there right now, but the page is broken for me atm.

overcast

Guess I'll listen to Radioactive after class. Expectations are set low now.

Those Gorillaz Chucks are hot, damn. Too bad they will be pricey.

kamspy

The first two Mack 10 albums are dope as hell, Back then, we were swimming in classics and probably didn't appreciate them enough. If either of those albums dropped today we'd be lining to post about how raw they are.

Foe Life? Chicken Hawk 2? Dopeman? They don't make shit like that anymore.

Maybe he fell off. All I've heard from dude is the first two albums and the WSC joints. Enjoyed him a lot on all of those.

Man....Westside Connection. Some of yall young bucks might not have been around for it, but when this dropped, no one listened to anything else. I don't think the genre is even capable of producing an album of this stature today. God damn.

GxkI4.jpg

siddx said:

agreed with all of this.

Right now I'd say Radioactive > Cole World > Take Care (to be fair though I think Drake's fucking boring as hell)

but my expectations were too high since I was expecting Trunk Muzik with some studio polish. The only song that really came with that energy for me was Hard White. Throw it Up is greaaaaat (as is the skit) but it don't got that energy I was looking for. Also the Ritz feature could have been better.

....I like Pac Div's debut album more than these other cats right now to be honest, and I wasn't expecting that at all.

Will buy though, because I still love Yela and this album is pretty decent. I have a feeling Shady records put their grubby hands all over this, Recovery comparisons are apt from Peterboy and sidd.

Needed some southern sounding beats here too, him and Krit are tight he would have given him a beat fo sho. Willpower was all over this but I could hardly tell aside from Throw it Up

siddx

kamspy said:
The first two Mack 10 albums are dope as hell, Back then, we were swimming in classics and probably didn't appreciate them enough. If either of those albums dropped today we'd be lining to post about how raw they are.

Foe Life? Chicken Hawk 2? Dopeman? They don't make shit like that anymore.

Maybe he fell off. All I've heard from dude is the first two albums and the WSC joints. Enjoyed him a lot on all of those.

Man....Westside Connection. Some of yall young bucks might not have been around for it, but when this dropped, no one listened to anything else. I don't think the genre is even capable of producing an album of this stature today. God damn.

I loved "Based On a True Story" back in the day, but I listened to it again a few months ago and I thought I had downloaded the wrong album. I thought it was fucking awful. Throwaway beats and Mack 10 falling all over himself track after track. One of those albums that should have stayed in my past.

I'm loading up the self titled album for a listen tonight, thats another one I havent listened to in a decade.

But yeah, anyone who hasn't heard Bow Down needs to get that album right fucking now. It was one of those albums that I wasn't expecting when it came out, I had heard nothing about it and suddenly I see some album on the CD rack with cube's face on the cover. Best blind purchase ever. It's the last west coast classic in my opinion (not counting chronic 2001). It marks the turning point in the West Coast sound and nothing has sounded the same since. I enjoyed doggystyle a bit more, but if I was to pick an album to represent the west coast, I'd pick bow down.

iavi

Discotheque said:
....I like Pac Div's debut album more than these other cats right now to be honest, and I wasn't expecting that at all.

I still need give that a spin. Next to Yela, I was most hyped for KRIT. I have a feeling he's going to come correct.

siddx

Miri said:
I still need give that a spin. Next to Yela, I was most hyped for KRIT. I have a feeling he's going to come correct.

I would guess he has the least pressure to appeal to the 14 year old white girls who want some dude to roll up and buy them a purse. So I agree, I think he will come the most correct. I've been on a Krit blackout for a while now to build up my hunger for the album.

I don't know why, but I'm expecting to be disappointed by common's album. I ended up really disliking blue sky after repeated listens. I'm a big Common fan (well used to be) but I just have zero hype for his album.

iavi

siddx said:
I would guess he has the least pressure to appeal to the 14 year old white girls who want some dude to roll up and buy them a purse. So I agree, I think he will come the most correct. I've been on a Krit blackout for a while now to build up my hunger for the album.

I don't know why, but I'm expecting to be disappointed by common's album. I ended up really disliking blue sky after repeated listens. I'm a big Common fan (well used to be) but I just have zero hype for his album.

Haha, basically.

As for Common, I'm just hyped for a release full of No I.D. I'm new to the guy and I've been loving just about everything I've heard from him. Blue Sky hasn't gone stale yet.

Recon

Banned
siddx said:

I have never been a big Common fan( I just don't like his "almost" spoken word like flow). But I'm really damn hyped for his new album. The three songs that have dropped have been great. I do admit i like the video to Blue Sky more than the song, but damn, it is still good song. I have high hopes for KRITT. I have put about 10 people onto him, so i hope his debut doesn't disappoint.

siddx

ReconYoda said:
I have never been a big Common fan( I just don't like his "almost" spoken word like flow). But I'm really damn hyped for his new album. The three songs that have dropped have been great. I do admit i like the video to Blue Sky more than the song, but damn, it is still good song. I have high hopes for KRITT. I have put about 10 people onto him, so i hope his debut doesn't disappoint.

Fuck yeah, I've pimped both Krit and Yela to everyone I know. Got a bunch of people on to them.

Recon

Banned
HiResDes said:
A thrift store in Cincinnati, they're still some left, but I got most of the good ones.

Fucking Ohio, only state that i might dislike more than my own state, or at least the same amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom