• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ja Rule makes me ashamed to be from Hollis.

"Hey, spindashing, where are you from?"

"I'm from Hollis, Queens. If you don't know that city, it's near J--"

"No, I know that spot. Ja Rule is from there, right!? MURDAA"

"..." *rolls eyes.* "Well, yeah, but ... a much better name, Run-D.M.C. is from there."

"That's hot!"

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
That Katy B chick is alright, I just have a hard time listening to british accents sing and especially rap. It grates on me. Lilly Allen and Dizzee Rascal are the only two I really like.

Ja Rule had a place in hip hop as a pop rapper that made radio hits that on occasion were fun to listen to. I would never consider him a serious rapper outside of his very good debut album but it's still a shame he couldn't just ignore the 50 beef and continue making pop music.

HiResDes

I Understand from N.O.R.E.aster is the fucking shit!

nore-easter-cover.jpg

HiResDes

The rest of it fucking sucks, well except for Like the Way, and parts of Stand Tall...Overall it's the epitome of mediocre, but I like that track a lot.

siddx

HiResDes said:
The rest of it fucking sucks, well except for Like the Way, and parts of Stand Tall...Overall it's the epitome of mediocre, but I like that track a lot.

Oh I thought the album was called "I Understand From NOREeaster" lol
Sounds like something that half wit would name his album.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
siddx said:
That Katy B chick is alright, I just have a hard time listening to british accents sing and especially rap. It grates on me. Lilly Allen and Dizzee Rascal are the only two I really like.

Ja Rule had a place in hip hop as a pop rapper that made radio hits that on occasion were fun to listen to. I would never consider him a serious rapper outside of his very good debut album but it's still a shame he couldn't just ignore the 50 beef and continue making pop music.
katy b sings not raps.

Edit: I guess she is semi rapping in one of the tracks.

siddx

MThanded said:
katy b sings not raps.

Edit: I guess she is semi rapping in one of the tracks.

Thats why I said sing and rap, not just rap. Both are hard to listen to for me.

finally got around to giving atmosphere's new album and xv's zero heroes a few more spins, atmosphere is growing on me but still not near when life gives you lemons or to all my friends

xv's is probably his 3rd best thing he's done, while there arent any single worthy songs like everybody's nobody its still a great "mixtape" from start to finish. I think he is adjusting to the pressure from being signed with a major and getting back to what he's comfortable with beat selection and lyrically, pretty much the opposite of vizzy zone which feels very forced

also i know its not GAF hop's style, but the new Brotha Lynch is fucking surprisingly amazing, the only album from him since EBK4 that I've given more then 1 listen

siddx said:

No love for Klashnekoff or Roots Manuva?

HiResDes

GodfatherX said:
finally got around to giving atmosphere's new album and xv's zero heroes a few more spins, atmosphere is growing on me but still not near when life gives you lemons or to all my friends

xv's is probably his 3rd best thing he's done, while there arent any single worthy songs like everybody's nobody its still a great "mixtape" from start to finish. I think he is adjusting to the pressure from being signed with a major and getting back to what he's comfortable with beat selection and lyrically, pretty much the opposite of vizzy zone which feels very forced

also i know its not GAF hop's style, but the new Brotha Lynch is fucking surprisingly amazing, the only album from him since EBK4 that I've given more then 1 listen
What are you talking about, I love Loaded and Season of Da Siccness

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Tokubetsu said:
You really want this fucking vevo thing huh?
Well yeah if you don't stream the shit and then say it's going to arrive a month later and it still doesn't, am I supposed to embed a imokaywiththis.jpg here?

EDIT: Found half decent explanation for delay: https://twitter.com/#!/micfoxvevo/status/61423487935447041

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Tokubetsu said:
Never been a huge E-40 guy but Graveyard Shfit is fucking great. EXCELLENT production. How's Overtime Shift?

Both are awesome, and feel different. In fact both are much better than the first two albums he released before them...

kamspy

Tokubetsu said:
Never been a huge E-40 guy but Graveyard Shfit is fucking great. EXCELLENT production. How's Overtime Shift?

Same. Slappin'. GAF hates NORE? You guys have no soul. Night Shift is boss as fuck too.

Blackace

kamspy said:
Same. Slappin'. GAF hates NORE? You guys have no soul. Night Shift is boss as fuck too.

Night Shift was the better of the two.. I am a huge 40 water fan and felt a little let down by Day Time and Night Shift, I thought a single album between the two would have been hawt.. but then he releases the overtime shifts and spits hotness for two complete albums..

Blackace

kamspy said:
The last few songs on Nightshift are brilliant.

no doubt.. but I felt that he could have taken the best songs from both Dayshift and Nightshift and made a super dope album..

And I am also saying that both overtime albums are true start to finish (almost) bangers that deserved to be two ablums unlike the first effort imo..

Again being as big of a 40 water fan as I am I still loved the nightshift and dayshift albums but thought it hurt him a bit releasing like that.. at the worst he should have released an old school double disk album like Pac

siddx

Blackace said:
no doubt.. but I felt that he could have taken the best songs from both Dayshift and Nightshift and made a super dope album..

And I am also saying that both overtime albums are true start to finish (almost) bangers that deserved to be two ablums unlike the first effort imo..

Again being as big of a 40 water fan as I am I still loved the nightshift and dayshift albums but thought it hurt him a bit releasing like that.. at the worst he should have released an old school double disk album like Pac

I agree completely and believe I have said so in the past. There were some magnificent songs on day/night but also some really really dull or generic songs as well. A single album would have imo been one of his very best albums ever.

Definitely enjoying graveyard/overtime far more. Far fewer boring songs. I am not really a big fan of the droop-e sound. I like 40's charisma and style which still holds me, but I prefer when his production feels more like that old 90's e-40.

Blackace

siddx said:
I agree completely and believe I have said so in the past. There were some magnificent songs on day/night but also some really really dull or generic songs as well. A single album would have imo been one of his very best albums ever.

Definitely enjoying graveyard/overtime far more. Far fewer boring songs. I am not really a big fan of the droop-e sound. I like 40's charisma and style which still holds me, but I prefer when his production feels more like that old 90's e-40.

Mr. Flam 2k11 is that sound, with clean production and a cleared sample...

siddx

Blackace said:
Mr. Flam 2k11 is that sound, with clean production and a cleared sample...

I also love "43" and "Lookin back"
Which I realize is weird because 43 is produced by droop-e but it doesn't sounds like a stereotypical droop-e beat imo.

Blackace

siddx said:
I also love "43" and "Lookin back"
Which I realize is weird because 43 is produced by droop-e but it doesn't sounds like a stereotypical droop-e beat imo.

Maybe poppa 40 slapped him around a bit..

Also how you liking Quik?

siddx

Blackace said:
Maybe poppa 40 slapped him around a bit..

Also how you liking Quik?

Loving it, really stepped up his production, which is amazing considering how great it has always been. Still not fond of time stands but babylon is growing on me a tiny bit, still tend to skip it though. Safe and Sound is still my favorite of his albums, but this is his best album imo since rhythm-al-ism. I like that the production feels like classic Quik, but he seems to have found new instruments and sounds to work with. And polished to hell and back my god. Producers should spend an hour in the studio with quik to learn how to spitshine a beat into perfection.

Acid08 said:
Beastie Boys new album is out there.

ooooh lovely. i'm probably going to wait for the actual thing though...they're one of the few artists that i can feel confident in with purchasing their music blindly without hearing anything.

has anyone heard the new Fabolous mixtape? The Soul Tape?

overcast

Holy shit can Kendrick Lamar spit. Just listened to OD. I won't say he's better than Cole (one of my current favs), but I will keep him on my radar.

Acid08

Banned
4 songs into Hot Sauce Committee Part 2 and it's pretty fucking good. Has a sick grit to it.

Song with Nas is fuckin raw/

HiResDes

Emperor Bohe said:
ooooh lovely. i'm probably going to wait for the actual thing though...they're one of the few artists that i can feel confident in with purchasing their music blindly without hearing anything.

has anyone heard the new Fabolous mixtape? The Soul Tape?
I really really like just about 90 percent of it, and I usually hate mixtapes featuring rehashes of old songs.

RickA238

Anyone know when/if Curren$y's Covert Coup is gonna be released for real? All I've been able to find are shitty 192k CBR transcodes; I can't run that shit on a good system. Is it ever going to even be released on plastic? I want it in lossless.

That said, I think it's my favorite Curren$y album so far. There's not one song I don't like on it, and that Freddie Gibbs verse is fire.

hubes

RickA238 said:
Anyone know when/if Curren$y's Covert Coup is gonna be released for real? All I've been able to find are shitty 192k CBR transcodes; I can't run that shit on a good system. Is it ever going to even be released on plastic? I want it in lossless.

That said, I think it's my favorite Curren$y album so far. There's not one song I don't like on it, and that Freddie Gibbs verse is fire.
http://covertcoup.currensyspitta.com/album/covert-coup

Tokubetsu

RickA238 said:

Tokubetsu said:
Better Quality Cover Coup:
http://covertcoup.currensyspitta.com/album/covert-coup

Now I spent 17 dollars on a grinder for nothing. Fuck my life.

Detox

Warren G's tribute song to Nate Dogg is crazy good, it's coming out tomorow with all proceeds going directly to Nate Dogg's mother and the Nate Dogg Foundation. I think he called out Dre for saying Nate can't sing, fucked up that they're brothers I guess Dre didn't get him on Detox. Warren G f. LaToya Williams "This Is Dedicated To You"

Em and Royce are finally going to do the Bad meets Evil EP with Havoc apparently producing on it. Hopefully Em brings the Slim Shady/ first three album shit back and doesn't just scream down the mic.

Tokubetsu

Detox said:
Warren G's tribute song to Nate Dogg is crazy good, it's coming out tomorow with all proceeds going directly to Nate Dogg's mother and the Nate Dogg Foundation. I think he called out Dre for saying Nate can't sing, fucked up that they're brothers I guess Dre didn't get him on Detox. Warren G f. LaToya Williams "This Is Dedicated To You"

Em and Royce are finally going to do the Bad meets Evil EP with Havoc apparently producing on it. Hopefully Em brings the Slim Shady/ first three album shit back and doesn't just scream down the mic.

Don't do this to yourself man. Lower your expectations from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom