• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detox

I wouldn't be surprised if die hard is yet another Detox track not produced by Dre. Exactly as DOC called it he is just ditching his old team and getting these new guys who have some shitty #1 tracks. Where is Mel-man, Stu-b-doo, bud'da, Scott storch, yella because they all need to come back and slap some sense into Dre.

If what we've heard so far is Detox then
Dre is doing a great job cleaning our system of the dope songs he gave us with two Chronic's. I think he just doesn't want to do this album, so far he hasn't shown any interest by getting other people's beats. He is probably more interested in the planets instrumental album he was talking about.

Wtf, since when did Nas start directing?Apparently he has won an award for directing and scoring a documentary.

HiResDes

CleanAssWhip-500x500.jpg

DOWNLOAD LINK

Or

STREAM

I remember so much talk about Detox debuting a newer, revised Dre sound, just as 2001 gave his earlier g-funk sound a more cinematic flare. Yet so far we've simply heard three tracks not produced by Dre - one which sounds like GRODT era Dre (Kush), one that could have been on any other rapper's album (I Ned a Doctor), and another that sounds like...dunno, another Dre throwaway track (Die Hard).

And oh yea, that Under Pressure song with Jay-Z with the electro dance sound. Seems like whatever is hot will be co-opted by Dre, and when it fails he throws the sound file in the trash.

Tokubetsu

PhoenixDark said:
I remember so much talk about Detox debuting a newer, revised Dre sound, just as 2001 gave his earlier g-funk sound a more cinematic flare. Yet so far we've simply heard three tracks not produced by Dre - one which sounds like GRODT era Dre (Kush), one that could have been on any other rapper's album (I Ned a Doctor), and another that sounds like...dunno, another Dre throwaway track (Die Hard).

And oh yea, that Under Pressure song with Jay-Z with the electro dance sound. Seems like whatever is hot will be co-opted by Dre, and when it fails he throws the sound file in the trash.

Die Hard sounds like a Relapse beat. One of the poorer ones.

HiResDes

Listening to these Detox leaks brings up so many questions:

1. How is that the oldest Detox track to leak might be the best?
2. Did Detox get progressively worse as Dre reworked it for the mainstream?
3. Is this really the album that he has been working on for several years?
4. How is it that Kno could lend impeccable productions to three albums in the past year?
5. Does Dre really think he's a decent enough rapper that I'd like to listen his pseudo-chiefing ass struggle over mediocre beats?
6. Has Dre ever been a trend-setter, or merely a facilitator?

Tokubetsu

I'm interested in what Blackace to say. I understand he wanted us to temper ourselves until the album drops but at this point can he be cool about it?

Detox

Old unfinished detox tracks are better than the new stuff because he probably still had DOC and the rest of his old team with him. Now he looks at the charts sees people like Alex da Kid, boi 1da on top. They probably give their beats for practically free just to get a Dre co-sign.

Either that or he is trying to do what he done when he transitioned from chronic to 2001, where he brought in Mel-man, Bud'da and Sam Sneed from Pittsburg to help him out. Except this time it's failing.

I would also like to say DOC said he and Dre split because Dre chose the new kids Detox over the one DOC and presumably the old guys made, which I'm willing to bet has tracks actually produced by Dre. There are two potential Detox's in the vault and DOC said he was interested to see which one Dre went with when the album came out. Judging from recent tracks Dre went with the new kids which is a shame.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
HiResDes said:
C'mon dude you couldn't possibly be more wrong, start with Extinction Level Event, no questions.
Well, I presume Big Bang is easier to get into, being its more recent than ELE, even if ELE is a classic.

TheOddOne

Its funny that Snoop jacked the best beats from Dre for Tha Blue Carpet Treatment. Boss' Life and Imagine are leages better then the shitty singles we got now.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
TheOddOne said:
Its funny that Snoop jacked the best beats from Dre for Tha Blue Carpet Treatment. Boss' Life and Imagine are leages better then the shitty singles we got now.
Imagine gave me SO much hope for Detox when it came out. Still one of the best Dre beats in the past few years.

kamspy

Detox sure doesn't sound 10 years in the making. Sounds like he started a couple months ago judging by Eminem's form, the beats etc.

So why the wait if it's not some decade long uber project. He's just throwin a producer album together. Scram Jones has one coming out soon too. How funny is it gonna be when the Scram record is better then the Dre record.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
kamspy said:
Detox sure doesn't sound 10 years in the making. Sounds like he started a couple months ago judging by Eminem's form, the beats etc.

So why the wait if it's not some decade long uber project. He's just throwin a producer album together. Scram Jones has one coming out soon too. How funny is it gonna be when the Scram record is better then the Dre record.
He said he didn't want to do it out of obligation and that's why he scrapped the older versions of Detox and waited this long to put this version out when it felt genuine.

And to be honest, all signs are pointing to it being the other way around with the Documentary beats being harder than anything out of this latest version of Detox so far. Infinite hope, but this is not a good look at all. I still think he's got it in him to make some classic beats, but whatever vibe or sound he's feeling right now is not cool.

Detox

He has to be doing it out of obligation because the vibe he is giving off at the moment is one of apathy. Kush was produced by Khalil, I need a doctor by Alex da kid. He is putting his name on this album and I don't understand why. The only reason why people get hyped for Dre is the beats, we all know about the lyrics so I don't understand how he can even drop this album. He isn't writing or producing so far it's just some sort of manufactured album.

Someone needs to sneak in and leak the Detox, Dre and DOC worked on together.

TheOddOne

enzo_gt said:
Imagine gave me SO much hope for Detox when it came out. Still one of the best Dre beats in the past few years.
Yeah, I got the feeling that those two tracks where just throwaways. I was like "if this is stuff he gave to Snoop, then his own album must be bonkers".

Tokubetsu

enzo_gt said:
He said he didn't want to do it out of obligation and that's why he scrapped the older versions of Detox and waited this long to put this version out when it felt genuine.

And to be honest, all signs are pointing to it being the other way around with the Documentary beats being harder than anything out of this latest version of Detox so far. Infinite hope, but this is not a good look at all. I still think he's got it in him to make some classic beats, but whatever vibe or sound he's feeling right now is not cool.

Funny you mention Documentary. I threw it on yesterday after listening to Die Hard and I just appreciate that record even more. Love How We Do and Start from Scratch. Dre's fingerprints are all over the record even if he didn't produce all the tracks himself.

effzee

Yeah I would want a Dre produced album more than anything else. Don't care if it sounds too Dre or isn't revolutionizing the game. Just wanted a Dre album. Instead so far 2 out of the 3 songs have sounded nothing like Dre.

so are we still guessing who will be ghost writing/producing on Detox?

ghost writers
-eminem
-kendrick lamar
-bishop lamont
-crooked I

ghost producers
-Seven, in fact i'm 99% sure of this one

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Tokubetsu said:
Funny you mention Documentary. I threw it on yesterday after listening to Die Hard and I just appreciate that record even more. Love How We Do and Start from Scratch. Dre's fingerprints are all over the record even if he didn't produce all the tracks himself.
Yup. Dre is an incredible executive producer. He knows the ins and outs of making a good album, in fact I cosign the notion that a Dre-produced album is more relevant to me than an actual Dre album.

GodfatherX said:
so are we still guessing who will be ghost writing/producing on Detox?

ghost writers
-eminem
-kendrick lamar
-bishop lamont
-crooked I

ghost producers
-Seven, in fact i'm 99% sure of this one
I'm not even sure if it's ghost writing or ghost producing anymore because it's so blatant and admitted. Just look at the wiki.

It seems like everyone and their mama has written for Dre. Whether it's going to be used? No one knows. I would say Khalil, Scott Storch, Slim Da Mobster, Eminem, Snoop, Kendrick Lamar and Jay are a lock though. But really, after hearing some of these atrocious verses, you have to wonder how even shit verses rise to the top and who they're by. Not only that, go to the singles section of the wiki and look at the catalogued amount of damage control from Dre. Under Pressure is unfinished (wouldn't even sound good IF finished). Kush is not representative of the album. Die Hard is not an official single. Looks like Dre is going right back into the experimentation phase of things, which he never really left.

I just know, under that mountain of throwaways, there are some absolutely mindblowing beats to be unearthed somewhere. Which hopefully won't get leaked like Topless so Dre can get up off his ass and put em out there.

HiResDes

At this point you're optimism is way beyond even that of most Dre-Stans...It's like you've had your mouth surgically attached to his nuts.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
All the tracks Bishop Lamont ghostwrote for are probably on the "old" version of detox that Dre scrapped. A handful of songs Bishop has released over the years sound like they were intended for detox and all are better than the shit Dre has put out so far. Still...I have hope...

Detox

HiResDes said:
At this point you're optimism is way beyond even that of most Dre-Stans...It's like you've had your mouth surgically attached to his nuts.
On the scale of how hyped I am for Detox, I would probably be just below Game. :(

enzo_gt said:
Yup. Dre is an incredible executive producer. He knows the ins and outs of making a good album, in fact I cosign the notion that a Dre-produced album is more relevant to me than an actual Dre album.
I would agree on this now. Dre should scrap Detox and just get into the lab with Game, focus on making R.E.D a classic.

Tokubetsu

Detox said:
On the scale of how hyped I am for Detox, I would probably be just below Game. :(

I would agree on this now. Dre should scrap Detox and just get into the lab with Game, focus on making R.E.D a classic.

I am 100% okay with this.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Detox said:
This is the best solution to the Dre problem. Won't happen though, cause Dre is too busy scouting new talent. He's probably bored with Game now, I doubt he's even actually given Game any beats for R.E.D. no matter how much Game will insist they're in the lab together.

siddx

Dre has the attention span of a 2 year old. He likes an artist for a few months, and then gets bored and puts them on the shelf. Unless game can suck a mean dick, Dre isn't ever going to give him any kind of effort again.
Eminem remains in his scope only because he makes him money, if Eminem stopped selling, Dre would stop fucking with him.

LegoArmo said:
Dre should do a Kanye and release all his throwaway tracks weekly. He won't, but I think he should.

You mean the Kanye throwaway tracks that all ended up being on the retail album?

Detox

siddx said:
Dre has the attention span of a 2 year old. He likes an artist for a few months, and then gets bored and puts them on the shelf. Unless game can suck a mean dick, Dre isn't ever going to give him any kind of effort again.
Eminem remains in his scope only because he makes him money, if Eminem stopped selling, Dre would stop fucking with him.
I don't think Dre would have resigned Game to Aftermath if he didn't want to work with him. I think they got that compton thing going on which is why Dre dropped fiddy as soon as Game came up, or Dre just got him back to ghost-write Detox. Game re-signed at the worst time when Jimmy Iovine is probably now pushing Dre to drop Detox.

Anway Nas is taking the piss, he has got one of the best producers ever wanting to work with him. Probably the best that suits his style and he ain't even trying to get him on smh. If what kampsy keeps saying about Nas's next album comes true, then that is just fucked up.
NewBitmapImage2.jpg

The west coast needs to move on and forget about Dre, god knows he has forgotten about the west coast.

Nas is going to stick to his same producers, and throw in an Alex Da Kid track, maybe a Lugar beat. He's just in it to pay them child support bills

siddx

fucking Nas. Come on Premo, just go work with someone who actually deserves your production and let Nas further push himself in irrelevancy. Maybe he can find another Reggae singer to carry him through an entire album.

TheOddOne

siddx said:
fucking Nas. Come on Premo, just go work with someone who actually deserves your production and let Nas further push himself in irrelevancy. Maybe he can find another Reggae singer to carry him through an entire album.
Nas keeps ignoring DJ Khalil too. God, Nas Esco Lets Go was the hardest shit you didn't put on your album.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dre re-signed Game? Didn't Iovine just flip the same contract back to Interscope after he had to get out of the G-Unit situation so he signed to Geffen while paying royalties to 50 and Interscope? Jimmy Iovine is one of the realest motherfuckers ever. He told Game and 50 straight up, if you guys want to stop being little children and want to make some money, give me a call. I guess Game finally made that call without 50.

R.E.D. album isn't going to ever come out. Game's lost his relevance, is digging himself deeper down with the throwaway singles, couldn't follow up on all the Purp&Patron marketing blitz that was out of left field, and he's most likelily waiting on Dre which means he'll be waiting forever. You can only pray Dre personally tattoos the Aftermath logo right over Game's Star Trak tattoo and helps make the R.E.D. album from scratch, and changes it's horrible name in the process.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
enzo_gt said:
This is the best solution to the Dre problem. Won't happen though, cause Dre is too busy scouting new talent. He's probably bored with Game now, I doubt he's even actually given Game any beats for R.E.D. no matter how much Game will insist they're in the lab together.

Figures. Everybody else is bored with Game too.

Detox

Yeah Jimmy flipped the contracts. I meant Game wouldn't have worked with Dre if he wasn't on Aftermath. Presumably the whole point of getting him back was part of the hype train to say Game is back where he started and is working with Dre again. Dre will almost certainly appear on R.E.D with a couple of tracks.

Game also said Jimmy gave the go ahead to put out R.E.D, around the end of August.

Tokubetsu

Detox said:
Yeah Jimmy flipped the contracts. I meant Game wouldn't have worked with Dre if he wasn't on Aftermath. Presumably the whole point of getting him back was part of the hype train to say Game is back where he started and is working with Dre again. Dre will almost certainly appear on R.E.D with a couple of tracks.

Game also said Jimmy gave the go ahead to put out R.E.D, around the end of August.

Right around when all the hype he built would be completely dead? Jimmy is a total troll.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Detox said:

Jimmy also gave Game the go ahead to put the album out whenever Game wants now..

..except Game is still looking for the right single.

:lol

Should be Monsters In My Head but Game is a dope, and wont do it.

kamspy

Tokubetsu said:
Jimmy is a total troll.

Master troll. I think him and Dre just hang out and smoke blunts and fuck with artists.

Flashback about 3 years......

Jimmy: Hey Dre, wanna troll Marshall and that Royce guy who won't stop emailing everyone?
Dre: Yeah. Hell yeah.
Jimmy: Good, because I just signed some fucking idiot out of the ATL to Shady. Stat Quo. Just imagine when that Rashad guy get's that news and looks him up on youtube?
Dre: LOL! I just googled him. Good shit. It's Royce by the way, not Rashad. Yeah he'll be salty. That Stat guy is horrible. This is gonna be a great couple months.
Jimmy: LOL! I know right? LOL. God I love my job. You up for some seared asian baby tonight on the jet?
Dre: Hell yeah. I'll bring the hot sauce.

siddx

kamspy said:
Master troll. I think him and Dre just hang out and smoke blunts and fuck with artists.

Flashback about 3 years......

Jimmy: Hey Dre, wanna troll Marshall and that Royce guy who won't stop emailing everyone?
Dre: Yeah. Hell yeah.
Jimmy: Good, because I just signed some fucking idiot out of the ATL to Shady. Stat Quo. Just imagine when that Rashad guy get's that news and looks him up on youtube?
Dre: LOL! I just googled him. Good shit. It's Royce by the way, not Rashad. Yeah he'll be salty. That Stat guy is horrible. This is gonna be a great couple months.
Jimmy: LOL! I know right? LOL. God I love my job. You up for some seared asian baby tonight on the jet?
Dre: Hell yeah. I'll bring the hot sauce.

Looking at the list of acts that used to be on aftermath at one time
Amiee Terrin
Antonio
Bishop Lamont
Brooklyn
Busta Rhymes (released one album on the label)
Dawn Robinson
Eve
Focus...
G.A.G.E.
Hi-Tek
Hittman
Joe Beast
Joell Ortiz
King Tee
Marsha Ambrosius
Raekwon
Rakim
RBX
Stat Quo
Shaunta
The Firm (released one album on the label)
The Last Emperor
Tiffany Villarreal
Truth Hurts (released one album on the label)

Aaaaaand the artists still signed
Dr. Dre
Eminem
50 Cent
Slim da Mobster
Hayes
Game
Nikki Grier

Nikki, Slim, Game and Hayes better get ready to join the other list.

Add in Obie Trice and Bobby Creekwater from Shady, as well as the inevitably to be released Cashis, and Aftermath is just a artist graveyard. In fact it's pretty fucking shitty, all these artists with varying degrees of potential, all shit on and tossed aside, wasting years of their life sometimes waiting for Dre to do something with them. Or hell, someone like Bishop Lamont who recorded endless amounts of material and all he wanted was to release an album. He had the songs for it, and yet Aftermath tells him no. Fuck that. Fuck Dre, Fuck Jimmy Iovine, fuck Eminem, fuck Aftermath, Fuck Shady, Fuck 50, fuck that whole camp....

...ok i'm a little drunk.

siddx

I can't take Cam seriously anymore. He makes a few good songs but he such a fucking clown.

Detox

Speaking of Cam I think Dipset are signed to Aftermath/Interscope as well. Siddx Dre has fucked around with a lot of guys careers over the years. I think the problem is they constantly sign people and then let them make tracks. If Dre hears one track he likes then he gets that artist and makes a full album with them. IIRC that's what Game said happened to him in the making of The Documentary. Dre heard a track from Game he liked can't remember what it was and then basically started working on an album with him.

Aftermath artists fuck up by waiting on another man to feed them. You gotta be active, you gotta tour, release mixtapes, etc etc etc. Usually someone gets on Aftermath, releases one mixtape full of gloating then disappear. If Dre isn't fucking with you, there are obviously damn good producers on the label who want to make their own name.

siddx

PhoenixDark said:
Aftermath artists fuck up by waiting on another man to feed them. You gotta be active, you gotta tour, release mixtapes, etc etc etc. Usually someone gets on Aftermath, releases one mixtape full of gloating then disappear. If Dre isn't fucking with you, there are obviously damn good producers on the label who want to make their own name.

Look at Bishop Lamont, as I said, he's released endless tracks over the years, had a whole album finished plus several mixtapes. He spent years ghostwriting and working his ass off for Dre, only to continually have his album pushed back over and over. The problem lies in Dre's ego and desire to control everything while not caring enough to make his control issues a benefit. Artist albums come out when HE wants them to. And too often that means never. Fuck Dre. It's time to give control of your label to someone who actually wants to release more than one album a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom