• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recon

Banned
BlackBeltBambi said:
No arguing over here, just saying. What about that darling Rah Digga? You don't like?
It's just something about the female voice rapping I just can't tolerate much. Which is why I probably like Dessa since she is pretty unique.

BlackBeltBambi

Neo Member
HiResDes said:
Bahamadia is super ill as well.

Also, Missy's first album is godlike.
Very underrated MC, and her first album is never mention on people's top list, when it should. Mannnnn, we need a new Missy album for the clubs. Her beats are always on point, even her singing...So good.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Times like this I wish Lady of Rage's album had actually come out.

Ooops, I guess it did! Time to hunt it down for a listen.

......What is this..?

Are people mentioning great female rappers without naming V-Nasty? Do we need a reminder of who will be taking over the rap game when she blows up?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ReconYoda said:
I cant stand Missy, at all, like she actively annoys me.
Missy was great when she came out. Now going back and listening to her stuff kinda makes me wonder why I liked her so much back then.

Tokubetsu

enzo_gt said:
Missy was great when she came out. Now going back and listening to her stuff kinda makes me wonder why I liked so much back then.

Everything up to Miss E...So Addictive is great. You don't know what you're talking about.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Tokubetsu said:
Everything up to Miss E...So Addictive is great. You don't know what you're talking about.
I never really listened to the albums either, but the singles were fun to listen to and for some reason haven't aged as well as I expected.

Needs more Fatman Scoop, agreed?

Jay Sosa

Tguy said:
I've never listened to a Missy Elliot album....I love her singles though.
her first album is phenomenal. always liked good rnb mixed with rap and that record is a perfect example. the song with that brat has one of the best beats beats ever. everything she did after that was nowhere as good imho.

listened to big bois album ftft today and you guys werent kiddin, also to that ryan leslie record transition. anyone who likes frank ocean and stuff like that should give it a listen, lyrically is unfortunately solely about relationships but musically its amazing.

Tokubetsu

Jay Sosa said:
her first album is phenomenal. always liked good rnb mixed with rap and that record is a perfect example. the song with that brat has one of the best beats beats ever. everything she did after that was nowhere as good imho.

listened to big bois album ftft today and you guys werent kiddin, also to that ryan leslie record transition. anyone who likes frank ocean and stuff like that should give it a listen, lyrically is unfortunately solely about relationships but musically its amazing.

Supa Dupa Fly is definitely her classic. Great mix of rnb and straight rap. The production on it is just, phenomenal. Everyone thought that Best friends track with aaliyah off J.Cole's last tape was an Aaliyah track for some reason but that's a supa dupa fly beat/track.

Recon

Banned
Jay Sosa said:

Can i get a link?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Listened to Overly Dedicated and Handshakes and Middle Fingers today. Both really, really dope records. Like Handshakes and Middle Fingers a bit more though, just an overall solid, entertaining album. I like KL's flavour he brings to tracks track though, his flow and sound make for some real interesting stuff to listen to, even if what he's talking about is snooze-worthy.

TheOddOne

BlackBeltBambi said:
Listen sunshine, Lil Kim first 3 albums went platinum and her last one was her best work(The Naked Truth, earning her 5mics on the source)La Bella Mafia is my favorite production wise. She bounced back lovely from that disaster "The Notorious K.I.M" And thanks to her, Mobb Deep enjoy further success on their only platinum selling album "Murder Muzik" Her resume speaks for itself. No need to hate, sunshine..Is all love<3 Oh and thank you BASEDGOD for making a gaffer, so blessed..BASED#
I aint talking about sales, I'm talking about as a MC. She is terrible, there are better female MC's out there.

BlackBeltBambi said:
Listen sunshine, Lil Kim first 3 albums went platinum and her last one was her best work(The Naked Truth, earning her 5mics on the source)La Bella Mafia is my favorite production wise. She bounced back lovely from that disaster "The Notorious K.I.M" And thanks to her, Mobb Deep enjoy further success on their only platinum selling album "Murder Muzik" Her resume speaks for itself. No need to hate, sunshine..Is all love<3 Oh and thank you BASEDGOD for making a gaffer, so blessed..BASED#

Nicky Minaj is better

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Oooh female rappers discussion.
Dessa is most definitely a rapper, she just doesn't rap all the time.
Lil Kim is fucking joke, always has been, always will be. She's her era's nicki minaj, created, written, and produced for by others. The only thing she brought to it was her pussy, ass, and tits for a nation of teenage boys to ogle.

Missy's is a average artist who happens to be able to get the very best out of timbaland. She can't rap for shit, she is a below average singer, but she is great at creating hooks and making songs that are catchy and fun.

Invincible is the opposite. A great rapper who can't make a song worth shit.

Lauren Hill is a fraud.
Eternia and Moss are great, Bahamadia is great, Lady of Rage was great until Death Row beat the desire to make music out of her, Rah Digga is good but boring.

But MC Lyte is the motherfucking shit. I haven't heard anything recent so I can't comment on her current ability, but there was a time when she was one of the top rappers in the game, not just top female rappers, top rappers period.

On a different note, Blackace may cyber punch me for this but on repeated listens, now that it's had several weeks to sink in...I'm not feeling book of david as much as I thought. It's still good, hell it's quik, even his worst efforts are better than a lot of rappers best efforts. But after going back and listening to Trauma, Rhytmalism, Safe and Sound...it just isn't as good as I thought.

dskillzhtown

TheOddOne said:
What... explain yourself, good sir!

Lauren being 4 hours late to her show in Houston, 5 hours late to her show in San Antonio and being "under the influence" at both shows last week is wack.

siddx

TheOddOne said:
What... explain yourself, good sir!

Just a girl with a decent voice that had everything done for her. They handed her lyrics, told her how to sing them, stuck her in a booth, and said go. I know I'm not the only one who has heard this, as it was someone else on gaf that clued me in. She also comes across as a mean, arrogant, slightly stupid person in her interviews. But thats something else.

Anyways, I was looking at Quik's wiki page just to see if they had more info on his and AMG's on again off again beef and saw that he was dropped from Arista after his album only sold 400K back in 2000. To think, a decade later, that selling 400K would be considered great and make you a star on the label...my how times have changed.

Tokubetsu

siddx said:
Just a girl with a decent voice that had everything done for her. They handed her lyrics, told her how to sing them, stuck her in a booth, and said go. I know I'm not the only one who has heard this, as it was someone else on gaf that clued me in. She also comes across as a mean, arrogant, slightly stupid person in her interviews. But thats something else.

Anyways, I was looking at Quik's wiki page just to see if they had more info on his and AMG's on again off again beef and saw that he was dropped from Arista after his album only sold 400K back in 2000. To think, a decade later, that selling 400K would be considered great and make you a star on the label...my how times have changed.

Yea, I think it was me who first brought it up. I know Common was one of her ghost writers at one point. Had a run in with her (and the rest of my family) too when I was younger and she was a total bitch. So much so that the staff at the resort my mom worked at ended up making all her food with bacon grease (she was/is a vegan) because she was being a bitch to them as well. Another Aunt of mine stopped listening to her album after she met her. Most of the Marley family (Lauren is married to a Marley IIRC) are arrogant assholes though, not just Lauren. Damien (met him awhile back too) and Stephen are pretty much the only ones who aren't trying to ride Bob's coat tails/aren't giant dicks.

siddx said:

Lauryn is very talented, but it's certainly true other people wrote much of her album and never got credit. And while she's fallen off the radar since her first album, there have been signs since that she's more than capable of doing her own thing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vendmtw_XcI

Decent voice though..? She's an amazing singer with a great voice. That's been the case since she was like 6 years old bro.

She's a slave of a cult now though, sadly

dskillzhtown

siddx said:
On a different note, Blackace may cyber punch me for this but on repeated listens, now that it's had several weeks to sink in...I'm not feeling book of david as much as I thought. It's still good, hell it's quik, even his worst efforts are better than a lot of rappers best efforts. But after going back and listening to Trauma, Rhytmalism, Safe and Sound...it just isn't as good as I thought.

Book of David has a few standout tracks, but as a whole it isn't a strong effort. Too many songs that sound alike, IMO. The best songs are great though.

siddx

PhoenixDark said:
Lauryn is very talented, but it's certainly true other people wrote much of her album and never got credit. And while she's fallen off the radar since her first album, there have been signs since that she's more than capable of doing her own thing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vendmtw_XcI

Decent voice though..? She's an amazing singer with a great voice. That's been the case since she was like 6 years old bro.

She's a slave of a cult now though, sadly

Rebecca Black has an amazing voice. Lauren is just decent.
No but seriously, I never found her voice that great, very one dimensional.

nns3d

HiResDes said:
Her genius works were all ghost-written, should be common knowledge by now

.... D:

I still love Miseducation, but I never knew this...

I still need to listen to Quik's new album. Haven't checked out anything since Balance and Options, but I've heard his collab album with Kurupt and thought it was great.

Bishman

LOZLINK said:
Onierology > Goblin. Are we all in agreement about this just to be clear?
Tyler the Creator sucks. He tries that shock / horror rap but he can't rap at all. When Eminem does it... at least he rapping his ass off and his flow is sick.

Em's 3 AM > everything Tyler the Creator has done.

KRIT, J. Cole, Wiz, Frank Ocean, XV, Laws, The Weeknd >>>>>>>>> Tyler the Creator

nns3d

Jay Sosa said:
EDIT: ^ You need to get Trauma, love that record.

I really do, Quik probably my favorite West-Coast producer (sorry Dre). Does Trauma sound anything like Balance and Options or is it closer to the stuff he did in Safe&Sound and Rythmalism?

KRIT, J. Cole, Wiz, Frank Ocean, XV, Laws, The Weeknd >>>>>>>>> Tyler the Creator

I'll agree that Cole and K.R.I.T. are better than Tyler, but Wiz? That's kindof stretchin' it (going by Wiz' debut album, haven't heard much of him outside of the song he did with K.R.I.T.). Haven't heard alot of XV to make a fair comparison either.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Bishman said:
Tyler the Creator sucks. He tries that shock / horror rap but he can't rap at all. When Eminem does it... at least he rapping his ass off and his flow is sick.

PpBKRupzI1.gif

I agree though.

HiResDes

Bishman said:

Throwing out random people that are better than Tyler, what the hell lol...How would you even compare the chillwave bullshit that is The Weeknd to the music Tyler makes? Wiz better than Tyler? Get your soft ass out of here.

DominoKid

Bishman said:

KRIT = yeah
J. Cole = he can spit, but he has no distinguishing qualities
Wiz = i dig him, but he cant rap for shit
XV = garbage
Frank Ocean = not rap.
Laws = see J. Cole
The Weeknd = not rap.

so 1/7. not bad though.

Bishman

HiResDes said:
Throwing out random people that are better than Tyler, what the hell lol...How would you even compare the chillwave bullshit that is The Weeknd to the music Tyler makes? Wiz better than Tyler? Get your soft ass out of here.
Are you honestly going to sit here and tell me that Tyler is a good rapper? Listen to song from him then listen to a song from KRIT or J. Cole. And it is hilarious to me that the fan base that Tyler has is the white indie crowd. He will never get the hip hop crowd until he improves his rapping skills or content.

An great example is Lupe. There may people who may not like him but he is RESPECTED in the hip hop community because he can actually rap and actually has content.

Tyler the Creator is a joke. The bar is so low now in music, anyone can make it with all the social media we have now.

Recon

Banned
DominoKid said:
KRIT = yeah
XV = garbage
Frank Ocean = not rap.
Laws = see J. Cole
The Weeknd = not rap.

so 1/7. not bad though.
I think XV is more talented than Tyler, and his content is more interesting to me.

Edit: Hiresdes, why the hate for the weeknd, this isn't the first time I'm seeing it from u?

siddx

DominoKid said:
KRIT = yeah
XV = garbage
Frank Ocean = not rap.
Laws = see J. Cole
The Weeknd = not rap.

so 1/7. not bad though.

Agreed...except for wiz. Soft as a spider monkey's nutsack after a perm.

Jay Sosa

Afrocentric-Asian said:
I really do, Quik probably my favorite West-Coast producer (sorry Dre). Does Trauma sound anything like Balance and Options or is it closer to the stuff he did in Safe&Sound and Rythmalism?

Hard to say..I always thought that every album he did sounds very unique. He once said in an interview that he spends all his earned money on new equipment maybe that's why. But it's been a long time since I've listened to it..lemme check.

I'd say it sounds kinda like a mixture between Blaqkout and Balance and Options, production is (duh) fucking amazing, even better than I remembered. Very smooth..even has one very old school sounding G-Funk track..GOD DAMN that album is good.. (writing this post while listening to it)

Yeah It actually sounds kinda old school, not as "experimental" as the Kurupt album..

KRIT = yeah
XV = garbage
Frank Ocean = not rap.
Laws = see J. Cole
The Weeknd = not rap.

so 1/7. not bad though.

*Ralph Garman voice* How dare you sir!

HiResDes

He's decent. He has charisma. He's funny sometimes. He picks good beats. He has the potential to craft very imaginative lyrics. He's less boring than most rappers.

...Could I name a bunch of better rappers than him, sure. But the same goes for about 90 percent of the rappers you could name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom