• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Cosigning Luda here, I think he's the best in the south period. Luda's delivery is godlike and that's what keeps him ahead of the pack. When Luda jumps on a beat it gets hype as fuck instantly. I put him in the same category as Busta Rhymes of underrated rappers that will never get the dues they deserve.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
enzo_gt said:
Cosigning Luda here, I think he's the best in the south period. Luda's delivery is godlike and that's what keeps him ahead of the pack. When Luda jumps on a beat it gets hype as fuck instantly. I put him in the same category as Busta Rhymes of underrated rappers that will never get the dues they deserve.

Great analogy. I always thought of Luda as the Busta of the south.

overcast

So I made a playlist of party (terrible) music for my prom limo. I didn't think it would turn out well since I am not too great with club songs. But I did a great job as a DJ. All good until one of the dudes in our car broke the sunroof.

Hmm I saw somebody recommended Fear of God to the guy asking for music. I wasn't overly impressed by that tape. It was solid, but I kind of expected better.

Throavium

overcast said:
So I made a playlist of party (terrible) music for my prom limo. I didn't think it would turn out well since I am not too great with club songs. But I did a great job as a DJ. All good until one of the dudes in our car broke the sunroof.

Hmm I saw somebody recommended Fear of God to the guy asking for music. I wasn't overly impressed by that tape. It was solid, but I kind of expected better.

Yeah that was me, and I kind of agree for Pusha T it was kind of mediocre but still had some good tracks.

Detox

The undisputed boss of the south is Scarface just the shit he went through with geto boys to get play in New York is enough for him to be in the hall of fame.

HiResDes

HiResDes said:
Anyway, here's my final list:

C4ExE.jpg
mrCyt.jpg
Hl6NL.jpg
yMyV5.jpg
Fs5bc.jpg
IALur.jpg
LKtPw.jpg
O76AM.jpg
mv9ht.jpg
O9Mj9.jpg

*(From Left to Right, In Ranking Order)*

Deacon the Villain & Sheisty Khrist/Niggaz With Latitude - 3
- There are not many albums being made in this day and age of that are able to stick so firmly to a singular concept and vision without sacrificing anything in the way of being fun and entertaining. Niggaz With Latitude is fun, deep, and cohesive a throwback to the early days of when new ideas and auteuristic concepts were being unfolded all the time.

Kno/Death Is Silent - 2
- See the above review for N.W.L as it mostly applies to this album, however Kno's sometimes lackluster rhyming skills and almost overly stringent focus on its concept (Death) keep this album from being as fun and entertaining as N.W.L.

Roc Marciano/Marcberg - 2
- Another throwback album but to a different era. Roc Marciano comes with the no-nonsense boom bap shit comparable to the level of Wu-Tang in its heyday. I think this album should be remembered as a classic, even though its lack of exposure is going to hurt it in the long run. Marcberg is every bit as good of an overall package as any singular Wu-Tang album.

Kendrick Lamar/Overly Dedicated - 2
- This is that mellowhype type of shit, Kendrick's flow and demeanor are phenomenal, and the amount of depth packed into each of his rhymes is incredible. Kendrick is easily one of the deepest, most lyrically gifted artist to emerge in the past two or three years. Kendrick is constantly launching lyrical assault on every beat he's on, and somehow the somewhat laidback production makes his concentrated barrage go do down nice and smooth.

Skyzoo & Illmind/Live from the Tape Deck - 2
- Another album that deserves to be remembered as a classic, Skyzoo abandons his slow methodical approach for something more loud and aggressive. His rhymes are menacing, Illmind's production is near-flawless boom bap shit, and the album is pretty much devoid of flaws. However, it's relatively short length may detract it's value from some, but when a package is this concentrated that would be a rather unfair assessment.

Strong Arm Steady/In Search of Stoney Jackson - 2
- Like a blunted out west coast Wu-Tang featuring forever dope madlib production...One parts weed rap, the other intellectual make this album maybe the most re-playable of the year

Apollo Brown/The Reset - 2
- Somehow this album feels like both pure boom bap shit and pure soul, Apollo's meticulous flow makes for an ill delivery, and with the an album made up of mostly battle raps this is of utmost important. The production is extremely varied never settling on a certain tempo or sound, yet it still manages a level of cohesion that characterizes the greatest albums in hip-hop history.

Add-2/Tale of Two's City Vol.4 - 2
- Add-2 is probably the best pure rapper not named Common in Chicago. He can rap extremely fast, and slow it down to crawl when it needs to as well. Illmeel kills the production making for a mostly laidback, yet highly lyrically complex album. However, the uptempo, aggressive tracks might be the best on the album...SPARE NONE

Kanye West/MBDF - 2
- This is more than a good hip-hop album it's arguably the most transcendent, genre-hopping album ever produced in rap. What Kanye's album lacks in cohesion it makes up for in pure ambition. The themes of religious contemplation and moral ambiguity might be lost on some who belittle Kanye's lyrical skill, but are indeed present. I'd say MBDF has the highest highs of any album made this year, but it's simply not consistent enough and the constant presence of a motley of guest features makes it quite messy in places.

Thee Tom Hardy/Secret of the Green Magic- 1
- Tom just seems like he's having so much fun every time he spits, and his sense of humor is up there with the likes of Asher Roth and Das Racist. His effortless flow makes every song sound like it was freestyled, while maintaining a level of cleverness unseen in many other rappers. Whoever said 9th Wonder fell off hasn't listened to his work this year, as the cat simply kills it with hypnotic beats and a use of a much wider range of samples.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Lambtron said:
Luda's fine, but best in the south? Nah. Not even close.
Luda makes better music than the rest in the south IMO. A few better rappers, not many better overall musicians that I can think off. The presence Luda brings to a track is incomparable.

You could argue UGK, I guess, but I was never a huge follower.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
enzo_gt said:
Luda makes better music than the rest in the south IMO. A few better rappers, not many better overall musicians that I can think off. The presence Luda brings to a track is incomparable.

You could argue UGK, I guess, but I was never a huge follower.
UGK is the best ever, let alone in the south. Show some god damn respect. They blow Luda away. Scarface, Devin the Dude, Eightball & MJG... man, Luda's nowhere close to the top.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Lambtron said:
UGK is the best ever, let alone in the south. Show some god damn respect. They blow Luda away. Scarface, Devin the Dude, Eightball & MJG... man, Luda's nowhere close to the top.
All four of those are really good picks, but show some respect..? lol?

Detox

Scarface is the king of the south. He is southern hiphop he wrote some of the greatest tracks ever, mind playing tricks is a timeless classic. Scarface has to always come on top of any southern hiphop list and then the rest follow.

I can see why someone would say ludacris is the best rapper from the south. I mean I would of put some other rappers ahead of him personally, but yeah at least he's giving reasons. Luda would probably be top 5 from the south to me or top 10 I'd really have to think about that. I agree about him being the busta of the south

HiResDes

Great guest appearances do not equate to great albums...Although Ludacris has managed to make a couple of good ones.

LOZLINK said:
When you guys refer to the South, Where's the cutoff line?
Confederate states, no but seriously it's not that hard to figure out what's south, it's basic geography

LOZLINK

HiResDes said:
Great guest appearances do not equate to great albums...Although Ludacris has managed to make a couple of good ones.

Confederate states, no but seriously it's not that hard to figure out what's south, it's basic geography
I'm not American, and while I know that much, I was wondering if places like Louisiana and ATL are considered the south.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Tguy said:
I can see why someone would say ludacris is the best rapper from the south. I mean I would of put some other rappers ahead of him personally, but yeah at least he's giving reasons. Luda would probably be top 5 from the south to me or top 10 I'd really have to think about that. I agree about him being the busta of the south
I would argue then Luda is a definite top 5. There are better rappers, not saying that, but Luda has made a shitload of southern rap tracks. Some that have defined southern rap to some extent. Perhaps influential is a better term?

Detox

Scarface is much more influential. Him and geto boys were at the frontlines trying to get southern hiphop heard in New York etc when Luda's balls still hadn't dropped. When Face was up for that Southern award he rejected there were so many people saying he deserved it for everything he had done and no one could really criticise him when he refused to accept it because of the 'dirty' label.

Dopeman music was pretty good considering he rushed it just to get some money in for all his debts.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
LOZLINK said:
I'm not American, and while I know that much, I was wondering if places like Louisiana and ATL are considered the south.
Pimp C didn't consider ATL the south, because it's in the Eastern time zone, which I found hilarious. But ATL is definitely the south.

Slizz said:
We are talking best rapper in the south though right? Andre 3k, and Big Boi. 1 and 2
Pimp C, Scarface, Bun B, Devin the Dude, Eightball are my top 5.

kamspy

It's been a while since Face has been relevant though. He's in the "retired" category. Like Nas. Nas is so retired that people are already making tribute albums. He prolly had to go on twitter just to tell people he didn't get shot or anything every time one drops.

kamspy

Well, a lot of the best southern groups aren't active right now.

UGK
David Banner
3-6 Mafia
OutKast
Goodie Mob
Geto Boys
Chamillionaire & Paul Wall

etc.

So are we talking active or all time?

kamspy

enzo_gt said:
I wouldn't consider Luda active either really. Cham is more active than him.

I'm not talking about Cham as a solo artist. The duo album is better than anything from either one's solo catalog. Get Ya Mind Correct is still ahead of it's time. And it came out 9 years ago.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
kamspy said:
It's been a while since Face has been relevant though.
Emeritus was fucking great and that came out at the way tail end of 2008. That's an eternity in today's music world, I suppose, but there haven't been many albums that have come out since Emeritus that are nearly as good.

kamspy

Lambtron said:
Emeritus was fucking great and that came out at the way tail end of 2008. That's an eternity in today's music world, I suppose, but there haven't been many albums that have come out since Emeritus that are nearly as good.

I've never even heard of it, but I'll check it out. I didn't like The Fix as much as everyone else, but The Diary, is like, top 3 hip hop albums all time.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
kamspy said:
I've never even heard of it, but I'll check it out. I didn't like The Fix as much as everyone else, but The Diary, is like, top 3 hip hop albums all time.
Made is worth checking out, too. I don't really like The Fix that much either, but I suppose people like it a bit more since it doesn't sound too much like a Southern album.

LOZLINK said:
Ah, then Cunninlynguists, Big KRIT, and Curren$y are the best things coming out of the south currently.
since CunninLynguists are from ATL and Kentucky (currently 2 from Kentucky) many don't consider them southern, as Kentucky is typically not considered a southern state, but also not a mid-west state.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
GodfatherX said:
since CunninLynguists are from ATL and Kentucky (currently 2 from Kentucky) many don't consider them southern, as Kentucky is typically not considered a southern state, but also not a mid-west state.
but don't CunninLynguists consider them selfs south?

overcast said:
Outkast is my favorite southern rap group easily.
for sure.

IrishNinja

kamspy said:
It's been a while since Face has been relevant though. He's in the "retired" category. Like Nas. Nas is so retired that people are already making tribute albums. He prolly had to go on twitter just to tell people he didn't get shot or anything every time one drops.

kamspy: harsher than your average

Scarface gets the classic vote, Outkast, Luda and a few others are definitely top 5 for me. I can enjoy cham but not for a whole album personally, same with paul or 3-6. gonna go get Emeritus.

GodfatherX said:
What? Kentucky is a southern state. Who have you been talking to that said it wasn't?

The M.O.B

I don't consider Atlanta as being part of the south but technically it is. And technically Florida is too so Rick Ross could be considered a southern rapper as well.

K.R.I.T is the best thing out the South in awhile

The M.O.B said:
I don't consider Atlanta as being part of the south but technically it is. And technically Florida is too so Rick Ross could be considered a southern rapper as well.

K.R.I.T is the best thing out the South in awhile
Yeah anything below Virginia and Kentucky are considered southern states technically(Yes North Carolina is a southern state). I agree KRIT is the best thing out the south.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom