• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natural

Going to see Wiz in London in a few hours - anyone seen him live before? He any good?

My cuz thinks Big Sean is supporting him but I read somewhere that it's Mac Miller supporting him which I'd much prefer.

effzee

Lambtron said:
What I am saying is that I can overlook some items if the entire package is good. I've listened to plenty of skilled rappers who bore me to tears because they have awful production. Or rappers with complex lyrics who have uninteresting flows. I basically listen to rap all day at work as a way to escape from the doldrums of working in an office and to keep myself awake. I just want to hear something that bumps, and Flocka does that.

You are basically a fan of the production and that's it. Cause Flocka does nothing to those beats that "bump" that another talentless rapper couldn't do.

I listen to plenty of different kinds of rap, but I will reach for Flocka (or Gucci or Rich Boy) more often than the other stuff. Especially if I just want to listen to something fun to wild out to.

I actually doubt you do. You only seem to pop into these threads to defend Gucci or whatever garbage is out at the moment in an attempt to say its something you bump to, drive to, or hood music or whatever else category you invent so you can try to justify them.

You like it? Cool good for you. But that is like trying to argue why Hannah Montana is superior than some pop star (say for example Gaga) who writes, produces, and sings all her own stuff simply because the beat is banging or the chorus is catchy. Doesn't mean its better than anything the superior artist has put out.

The Eminem comment was mostly just trying to troll ReconYoda since he constantly trolls Flocka & Gucci, but I do stand by it. I've been out of my teens the last 10 years which is probably a big part of me wanting nothing to do with Eminem anymore, but his music has just gotten boring. He ran out of ideas and he has no hunger anymore.

Nice try. Trying to belittle Eminem's music as simply something teens enjoy makes no sense. Yes he has fallen off considerably but even at this point of his career he could out rap Flocka. But I don't even think you are arguing rap lyrical ability cause your argument makes even less sense then. And Eminem is teens music then what is Flocka? Grown man music? I don't get how you in one sentence belittle Em as a teen music artist and then go on to defend you affinity for the very definition of throw away teen music by "artists" like Gucci and Flocka.

And comparing Em to Flocka doesn't even makse sense. Why not pick another artist who raps over similar beats, raps about the same kind of subject matter, but does it better? That is like me saying hey I like Fabolous and his album is better than anything Atmosphere put in the past 10 yrs. WTF?

And its not even like I dislike all disposable music. I don't even like Ross but at least with him you can tell the dude can spit and actually tries. And he spits over those same hard grown man adult mature beats. I actually listen to the radio and enjoy quite a bit of the music that would be considered mainstream.

Are you also part of Soulja Boy's fan club?

effzee

spindashing said:
My first and only post defending Lasers right now:

Although I too think Lasers sucks, there are some standout tracks on it.

-All Black Everything
-Till I Get There (though Lupe himself sounds bored/lazy on it)

And that's it. Take those two tracks and make them an extension of The Cool or something.

I don't know them by titles, but tracks 1-2 and tracks 11-12 (I think All Black and the John Legend song) are great. Rest is good to mediocre to garbage with catchy beats/hooks.

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but, here's the confirmed producer list of people they've worked with on the next Slaughterhouse album (so far).

Eminem
Dr. Dre
Alchemist
Just Blaze
Boi1da
Alex The Kid
No I.D.
Mr. Porter
Araab Muzik

Looks like shit is going to get interesting!

kamspy

Out rapping Flocka =! making better songs than Flocka.

dope4goldrope said:
Don't know if this has been posted yet, but, here's the confirmed producer list of people they've worked with on the next Slaughterhouse album (so far).

Eminem
Dr. Dre
Alchemist
Just Blaze
Boi1da
Alex The Kid
No I.D.
Mr. Porter
Araab Muzik

Interesting if you interested in hearing 48 consecutive minutes of battle raps.

effzee said:
I don't know them by titles, but tracks 1-2 and tracks 11-12 (I think All Black and the John Legend song) are great. Rest is good to mediocre to garbage with catchy beats/hooks.
Other than the John Legend hook, I can't listen to Lupe's uninspired lyrics on that song, and that's one thing the album suffers from, Lupe not caring.

State Run Radio? It's one of the most liveliest tracks that Lupe has ever performed on stage. The album version is its bastard cousin. Devoid of emotion and a bad hook.

Words I Never Said (feat. Skylar Gray) is good for what it is, a radio friendly track. Not sure I agree with a lot of the political things Lupe talks about, but I can't lie -- I have bobbed my head to it from time to time.

Poo Poo, Lupe, Poo Poo...

Edit: Lol, it's so funny @ that Slaughterhouse producer list. I was like "Alchemist? Nice. No I.D.? Nice. Just Blaze? Nice. Boi1da? What the hell? Alex The Kid? Oh no.

Recon

Banned
I wasnt trolling the flocka fans, there is just way too many good releases from the last 1-2 years to be wasting your time with that shit.

kamspy said:

I don't think it'll be that way around this time. Joe Budden said he yielded to the rest of the group's judgement too much on the first album and said he and Eminem agreed that they need to introduce more introspective and thought provoking records.

Recon

Banned
kamspy said:

Better than 48 minutes of Flocka struggling to make coherent raps.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
kamspy said:

Flocka doesn't make songs. Lex does. Flocka just got lucky enough to own pictures of lex fucking a horse or something so he gets to blackmail lex into producing a whole album for him. You could replace flocka with a 10 year old with a speech impediment and you'd end up with the same album.

Recon

Banned
siddx said:
Flocka doesn't make songs. Lex does. Flocka just got lucky enough to own pictures of lex fucking a horse or something so he gets to blackmail lex into producing a whole album for him. You could replace flocka with a 10 year old with a speech impediment and you'd end up with the same album.

This, very much this.

kamspy

ReconYoda said:
I wasnt trolling the flocka fans, there is just way too many good releases from the last 1-2 years to be wasting your time with that shit.

Flockaveli was one of the top 10 releases in the last 2 years though.

siddx

effzee

dope4goldrope said:

Eminem
Dr. Dre
Alchemist
Just Blaze
Boi1da
Alex The Kid
No I.D.
Mr. Porter
Araab Muzik

Good and diverse list. Araab Muzik, NO I.D., Boi1da, and possibly Dre should provide "bangers" or whatever you might want to call the battle rap type songs. The songs produced by Alchemist, Eminem, Just Blaze, and Mr. Porter better be about more than how awesome each person is. If the album is even a half-half split between battle rap songs (which admittedly are pretty fun the first 1-2 times) and songs that are actually you know songs I think it should make for a pretty good album.

spindashing said:
Other than the John Legend hook, I can't listen to Lupe's uninspired lyrics on that song, and that's one thing the album suffers from, Lupe not caring.

State Run Radio? It's one of the most liveliest tracks that Lupe has ever performed on stage. The album version is its bastard cousin. Devoid of emotion and a bad hook.

Words I Never Said (feat. Skylar Gray) is good for what it is, a radio friendly track. Not sure I agree with a lot of the political things Lupe talks about, but I can't lie -- I have bobbed my head to it from time to time.

Poo Poo, Lupe, Poo Poo...

Edit: Lol, it's so funny @ that Slaughterhouse producer list. I was like "Alchemist? Nice. No I.D.? Nice. Just Blaze? Nice. Boi1da? What the hell? Alex The Kid? Oh no.

I actually like Lupe's lyrics on the John Legend song. Yeah its not him going at his best but it fits the song and unlike the uninspired and forced love and party songs it actually works. State Run Radio was ok to me live and is terrible on the album. The studio version has no energy to it.

Outside of the truther line in Words I Never Said I love everything about it, the message, the lyrics, the beat, and the chorus. Then again I don't find Alex Da Kid's production to be ears bleeds inducing, especially if its a part of collection of different sounds and producers and limited to 1-2 songs on an album.

effzee

dope4goldrope said:
I don't think it'll be that way around this time. Joe Budden said he yielded to the rest of the group's judgement too much on the first album and said he and Eminem agreed that they need to introduce more introspective and thought provoking records.

Yeah while I don't know what is going on with his baby momma drama now and if he will or should go to jail, in terms of content the group should follow his lead. Not the whole album but for when they actually want to make a song and not just random verses put together.

effzee said:
Yeah while I don't know what is going on with his baby momma drama now and if he will or should go to jail, in terms of content the group should follow his lead. Not the whole album but for when they actually want to make a song and not just random verses put together.

lol he's definitely not in any legal trouble. that situation happened like 4-5 months ago and she dropped the charges and they got back together.

SUPREME1

Banned
Smh at the Flocka/Gucci advocacy going on in here.

The only time I ever feel any regret paying for Sirius is when one of these bums is on the air.

It's simpleton music.

I can't imagine people would shell out hard earned money for their garbage. Or, for you pirates out there, waste your precious time downloading it.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
SUPREME1 said:
Smh at the Flocka/Gucci advocacy going on in here.

The only time I ever feel any regret paying for Sirius is when one of these bums are on the air.

It's simpleton music.

I can't imagine people would shell out hard earned money for their garbage. Or, for you pirates out there, waste your precious time downloading it.

I don't mind people propping their likes. It's all opinions. People listen to music for different reasons, trying to get deep messages, having a good time, something that they can pump in their car, etc.

Lord knows that I went through a period when I thought Two Live Crew was the best rap group in history.

kamspy

Smh at the Flocka/Gucci hating going on in here. I mean, have you guys even heard the whole albums? Are you in the target demographic?

Ask yourself these questions and please post the answers so we can get to the bottom of this once and for all.

1. Is there bang in your trunk? If so, how much?
2. Do you intoxicate yourself daily?
3. Blunts or rolling papers?
4. Last time you're got head?
5. How much jewelery do you own?
6. What cut of jeans do you wear?
7. Do you consider Eminem or Lupe Fiasco the greatest MC ever?
8. How many guns do you own?
9. What's the longest blade you own?
10. Did you get into rap when the Slim Shady LP came out?

EDIT:

Whatchu say about 2 Live Crew DskillzHTown??????????????

Recon

Banned
kamspy said:
Smh at the Flocka/Gucci hating going on in here. I mean, have you guys even heard the whole albums? Are you in the target demographic?

Ask yourself these questions and please post the answers so we can get to the bottom of this once and for all.

1. Is there bang in your trunk? If so, how much? I have two 12 inch subs in my trunk
2. Do you intoxicate yourself daily? Weekends for alcohol
3. Blunts or rolling papers? Blunt, but im on probation so nothing until august
4. Last time you're got head? 4 days ago
5. How much jewelery do you own? Im not a girl
6. What cut of jeans do you wear? Relaxed fit
7. Do you consider Eminem or Lupe Fiasco the greatest MC ever? nope
8. How many guns do you own? Im on felony probation, so none
9. What's the longest blade you own? See above
10. Did you get into rap when the Slim Shady LP came out? Got into rap with creepin on ah come up

EDIT:

I played your game, and Flocka still is garbage.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
kamspy said:

EDIT:

lol. Just saying, when I was growing up and I heard 'Move Something', I thought, "This is RAP!!!!". It all depends on where you are in life, what you are trying to get out of music at the time. If I am just a dude that loves to party and hit the club, then what I think is great is going to be alot different than others.

I am not going to shit on Wacka fans, Gucci fans, Lil B fans, Wiz fans, whoever. You just like something different than I do. Big fucking deal.

kamspy

ReconYoda said:
I played your game, and Flocka still is garbage.

reading your answers, I'm not surprised.

So far the my Flocka system is 100% infallible.

2 Live Crew is awesome dskillzhtown. To this day I'll put in on blast in the summer.

siddx

kamspy said:

EDIT:

lol this will be fun

1. Got two subs in a nice box, subs are average quality though, the box (which has a subtle blue glow to it and a nice glass front) deserves better. Still bangs though
2. My liver says yes
3. Don't smooooke no weed. My other addictions cost me too much money, I don't need to add weed to that.
4. Girlfriend was over on Sunday.
5. Zip zero nada nothing, jewelry is for women
6. Loose to baggy
7. Fuck no
8. None yet unfortunately, plan on picking one up within the year though, I live in the middle of fucking nowhere and a gun would be a wise purchase.
9. Chainsaw count? Machete otherwise. Chop chop bitches
10. 1990 was the first year I bought a hip hop album.

Flockavelli has one track that gets a lot of play from me, "live by the gun". And it has nothing to do with flocka, and everything to do with how ridiculously hype that beat is.
Which again leads me to the fact that flockavelli's listenablility (yeah i'm making that a word bitches) has everything to do with lex and nothing to do with flocka. In fact, just imagining even a halfway decent rapper on those beats makes me nut myself.

Recon

Banned
kamspy said:
reading your answers, I'm not surprised.

So far the my Flocka system is 100% infallible.

2 Live Crew is awesome dskillzhtown. To this day I'll put in on blast in the summer.

So you have to wear jewelry, get high and drunk everyday, and wear your pants around your ankles to be a fan of Wocka?

kamspy

ReconYoda said:
So you have to wear jewelry, get high and drunk everyday, and wear your pants around your ankles to be a fan of Wocka?

It helps. But it's not conclusive....Those are not the magic on/off question in my list.

effzee

ReconYoda said:

Ha.

I don't even care that the dude has fans. Or that he "fits" somehow. Its just that when those fans try to claim he is more than what he is.

But Kampsy's test fits me I guess. I don't drink or smoke, don't own a gun, my jeans are reasonably fit and not baggy, and I actually did get into rap around the MMLP came out which was my freshmen year in HS.

I guess I don't fit the stereotype. Fuck I might be missing out on something magical.

kamspy

It's not that man, it's just not meant for you. Your not supposed to like it. That's not a bad thing on you or Flocka. It's just like really backpacky backpack rap. It's not meant for me, so I don't like it, or wonder why other people like it.

I mean, I could troll Aesop Rock and Atmosphere for days in this thread and love every keystroke. But I don't. I recognize that their music isn't intended for me.

effzee

kamspy said:
It's not that man, it's just not meant for you. Your not supposed to like it. That's not a bad thing on you or Flocka. It's just like really backpacky backpack rap. It's not meant for me, so I don't like it, or wonder why other people like it.

I mean, I could troll Aesop Rock and Atmosphere for days in this thread and love every keystroke. But I don't. I recognize that their music isn't intended for me.

I get what you are saying. But you don't troll them do you? And I don't really listen to Aesop myself cause while I recognize how talented he is I can't get into it beyond a song or two. But I would never clown someone who professes their love for him because there is talent there.

But Flocka? What is his talent? Picking beats? At least don't compare him to any rapper that actually tries to rap.

Recon

Banned
kamspy said:

I get that, but when dealing with the Flockas and Plies of the world, you can objectively say that they just arent good artists. They have producers that make them catchy beats and make them more than they are. Good for you if like them, but dont try to make them out to be some great artist that others just dont "get".

kamspy

effzee said:
I get what you are saying. But you don't troll them do you? And I don't really listen to Aesop myself cause while I recognize how talented he is I can't get into it beyond a song or two. But I would never clown someone who professes their love for him because there is talent there.

But Flocka? What is his talent? Picking beats? At least don't compare him to any rapper that actually tries to rap.

Flocka's talent is his charisma and ability to write songs. Even if you don't like Hard N The Paint, you probably know every word to it. While it's not exactly some quadruple entendre, mind bending methaphorical shit, it's a good song.

Yeah siddz, Luger's beats do take at least 50% of the spotlight, but that's how that whole genre of rap works. It's leans much more toward electronic music than most forms of rap. He's not doing the usual intro->verse->hook->verse 2->hook->breakdown->verse 3 pattern. It's even more simplified. Usually just 8-16 bars over a beat, repeating.

Now, ReconYoda, could Nas, Lupe, Jay-Z etc. make a "Hard N the Paint" type of song as effective as Flocka does? We heard how well Jay does over Luger beats.

Double D

So I've never actively listened to a Flocka song. I've listened to many Hard in the Paint remixes, but aside from hearing something on the radio in the background, I've never played anything of his. A few days ago as I was falling asleep, I stopped on a rerun of last year's BET awards and saw that he was about to perform. I kept it on, genuinely interested in his performance (I'll post it below). I actually rewound my DVR to make sure I didn't nod out for a minute there because no rapping was actually done.

Now, I'm gonna actually go out and get Flockavelli and give it a shot because, while I primarily go for lyrical content and a great flow, I can appreciate hard beats/bang your trunk/hood shit every once in a while.

So, here's the video. Seriously, what the fuck is this shit?

hubes

i'm a white kid that's never been around a gun in my 20 years of living and thought flockaveli was a top 5 album last year. i usually don't like mindless rap but flocka & lex luger just make good songs. good shit to listen to on my 2 12" subs just driving around.

PBY

Banned
Natural said:
Going to see Wiz in London in a few hours - anyone seen him live before? He any good?

My cuz thinks Big Sean is supporting him but I read somewhere that it's Mac Miller supporting him which I'd much prefer.
wiz was awesome live when i saw him a few months ago

Acid08

Banned
Natural said:

Just bring plenty of moisturizer and baby wipes and you'll fit right in.

RPS37

I think this album finally clicked with me just now. It came out at the end of March.
quiiE.jpg

It looks like it's streamable on DatPiff

kamspy

RPS37 said:
I think this album finally clicked with me just now. It came out at the end of March.
http://i.imgur.com/quiiE.IMG]

It looks like it's [URL="http://www.datpiff.com/HOPE-Beleive-In-HOPE-Wright-mixtape.215335.html"]streamable on DatPiff[/URL][/QUOTE]

That's pretty jammin actually. Good diversity of beats. Started with track 2 and thought: "Oh, competent east coast mc #43920". But skip around a little bit and there's a little versatility. Download now.

Kyzer

Banned
Hey guys I just dropped my first mixtape (Hotboxing The Universe) and made a thread so I could get feedback, so if you guys could check it out and let me know what you think that'd be tight.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=430536

and heres the mixtape

http://www.datpiff.com/Kyzer-Hotboxing-The-Universe-mixtape.230059.html

Also, I posted this more than once a long time ago...but I'm looking for good producers who could make cool anime and/or video game inspired hip hop beats! Didnt make the cut I guess for Hotboxing The Universe but I would still love to collab with some of NeoGAFs finest..

I'm having a Mobb Deep listening marathon right now, and I just realized that Havoc is always on the left and Prodigy is always on the right on every single one of their album covers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom