• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince

I must say I really really like the Big Boi album. It has that old Outkast feel but still sounds fresh. A lot better then their last few albums!

I also like the new Kero One album:

51WSUFmfFBL._SS500_.jpg

Kero One - Kinetic World feat. Fashawn

Single: Kero One - On Bended Knee feat. Sam Ock

Tokubetsu

Oh god. Twitter beefs. Why can't we just Lupe Fiasco die off? Let's move on people, there are plenty of other great artists around that haven't even dropped two lps yet. Let's let Lupe go climb another mountain.

K5PbK.jpg

This is so sad. You are clowning yourself Lupe.

kamspy

The Lupe meltdown was inevitable. By the time he get's the LP on shelves it will be leaked in it's entirety(for months, not days) and go on to push less than 100k.

Threi

notag
Yeah I find it kinda hard to follow anything from Lupe right now...it's ok though because Shad is my new Lupe :)

Tokubetsu

kamspy said:
The Lupe meltdown was inevitable. By the time he get's the LP on shelves it will be leaked in it's entirety(for months, not days) and go on to push less than 100k.

Even if it didn't leak it wouldn't sell. He squandered any buzz or hype he generated at least two years ago. I would have taken some farewell with LUPEnd but then he just went far left. Now we have that english punk band shit and the song he did for Twilight and mixtape where he goes over old beats. I really don't expect Lazers to be any good at all.

The M.O.B

Has this Prolyfic guy ever heard of a blog???

No clue why people hate Lupe now. He doesn't want to make a hit???

Look at B.o.B, he made a ton of hits with his latest album(Platinum album now) and what did he get for it? Most people throw him in the "pop" "mainstream" music category now and refuse to acknowledge him as a rapper. A lot of people call him out as a "sell out" now. In fact if you look at the billboard top hits for the rap category he is no where to be found.

Lupe wants to make songs that people will like, but he is not gonna sacrifice being somebody hes not.

On the other hand I doubt this Prolyfic guy is just making up stuff so perhaps Lupe should stop worrying about "leaks" and get back to making music. Whether its a "hit" or a mixtape, I wouldnt mind lupe putting out a mainstream club record or something if it means his album getting released.

My 2 Cents.....................lazers

thetechkid

The M.O.B said:
Has this Prolyfic guy ever heard of a blog???

No clue why people hate Lupe now. He doesn't want to make a hit???

Look at B.o.B, he made a ton of hits with his latest album(Platinum album now) and what did he get for it? Most people throw him in the "pop" "mainstream" music category now and refuse to acknowledge him as a rapper. A lot of people call him out as a "sell out" now. In fact if you look at the billboard top hits for the rap category he is no where to be found.

Lupe wants to make songs that people will like, but he is not gonna sacrifice being somebody hes not.

On the other hand I doubt this Prolyfic guy is just making up stuff so perhaps Lupe should stop worrying about "leaks" and get back to making music. Whether its a "hit" or a mixtape, I wouldnt mind lupe putting out a mainstream club record or something if it means his album getting released.

My 2 Cents.....................lazers

Whats this about people calling B.o.B a sell out now?

exarkun

Tokubetsu said:
Even if it didn't leak it wouldn't sell. He squandered any buzz or hype he generated at least two years ago. I would have taken some farewell with LUPEnd but then he just went far left. Now we have that english punk band shit and the song he did for Twilight and mixtape where he goes over old beats. I really don't expect Lazers to be any good at all.

I mean can we hate on a dude who just wanted to try different types of shit? I hate his attitude towards the situation, but as for being in the situation there isn't much I can say.

I just want more music from him, with him providing some nasty lines. Give him a good beat, and hes great. Give him a great beat and its some of my favorite shit ever.

kamspy

Tokubetsu said:

So you're saying he's the J Hood of backpack rap?

I agree.

The M.O.B

I had to go to urban dictionary just to to find out wtf a backpack rapper was. smh its someone who raps about personal experiences right?

Am I the only that the views Lupe as more of a story teller than anything else, A lot of his songs talk about real stuff but most, or maybe even all of them tell stories.

PS. Anyone who says that Lupe has been lame should really reconsider. He is easily in my top 10.

Tokubetsu

exarkun said:
I mean can we hate on a dude who just wanted to try different types of shit? I hate his attitude towards the situation, but as for being in the situation there isn't much I can say.

I just want more music from him, with him providing some nasty lines. Give him a good beat, and hes great. Give him a great beat and its some of my favorite shit ever.

I'm hating because none of it's good. I don't mind the track he did for twilight but it's very average. He's good to great at rap so why not keep plugging it? A wise man once told me, if you have to experiment, you weren't an artist in the first place. He's trying to be some sort of alt super artist, failing miserably and basically shitting on the fans that were behind him back in 05.

exarkun

Tokubetsu said:
I'm hating because none of it's good. I don't mind the track he did for twilight but it's very average. He's good to great at rap so why not keep plugging it? A wise man once told me, if you have to experiment, you weren't an artist in the first place. He's trying to be some sort of alt super artist, failing miserably and basically shitting on the fans that were behind him back in 05.

When was his last actual album dropped? Has it really been since 05?

Kimosabae

Banned
People still use "Backpacker" in a pejorative fashion? Grow up.

People need to wait to hear Lupe's side of the story before they crucify him. Sometimes publishers have a narrow vision for what a "hit" can be.

Prolyfic brings up good points, though. I often forget about Lupe until I read his name in this thread. He probably does belong in "Top 3", whatever-the-fuck that means, but I'm not that big of a fan.

kamspy

Kimosabae said:
People still use "Backpacker" in a pejorative fashion? Grow up.

Most of you knew exactly what I meant without having to describe the genre. Seems like an effective term.

Personal note: I'm a big fan of good backpack rap. Tribe. De La. Souls of Mischief. etc. Somehow I have a lower tolerance for mediocre to bad backpack rap than I do other sub genres. For every Talib there's an Atmosphere. For every Black Thought there an Aesop Rock. Just not a very consistent genre.

So me going on a Lupe trolling spree is really just me being upset about his implosion. It's like seeing a good athletic prospect bomb in the pros because of his own stupidity (supercool beas).

Oh, and backpack rappers can make club songs that generate radio play. Look at that one Q Tip solo from a while back. Had some big songs. He squandered the buzz the same way Lupe did though. :/

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
kamspy said:
Most of you knew exactly what I meant without having to describe the genre. Seems like an effective term.

Personal note: I'm a big fan of good backpack rap. Tribe. De La. Souls of Mischief. etc. Somehow I have a lower tolerance for mediocre to bad backpack rap than I do other sub genres. For every Talib there's an Atmosphere. For every Black Thought there an Aesop Rock. Just not a very consistent genre.

So me going on a Lupe trolling spree is really just me being upset about his implosion. It's like seeing a good athletic prospect bomb in the pros because of his own stupidity (supercool beas).

...did you just trash Atmosphere?

Threi said:
Yeah I find it kinda hard to follow anything from Lupe right now...it's ok though because Shad is my new Lupe :)

This. People really need to cop that TSOL album. I'm glad you been spamming the shit out of Shad:D

kamspy

WanderingWind said:
...I definitely missed something.

Scribblejam a few years back. Got pretty ugly. Said some stuff you can't un-say.

For what it's worth, I'd still be bashing him if not for the 'incident'. Wasn't a big fan beforehand.

Kimosabae

Banned
kamspy said:

Oh, and backpack rappers can make club songs that generate radio play. Look at that one Q Tip solo from a while back. Had some big songs. He squandered the buzz the same way Lupe did though. :/

No, you just have a low tolerance for the art, along with a sullied perception of any artist that doesn't fit into your narrow conception of what a rapper is and what they do.

I mean, if you consider yourself a fan of hip hop and can't observe the similarities that truly exist between artists like Black Thought and Aesop or Talib and Atmos, then I don't know what to say to you.

'Backpacker' is a completely ignorant and empty distinction used to create a sterilized "other".

Also, have you ever considered the possibility that some artist don't care to make club music?

WanderingWind

kamspy said:
Scribblejam a few years back. Got pretty ugly. Said some stuff you can't un-say.

For what it's worth, I'd still be bashing him if not for the 'incident'. Wasn't a big fan before hand.

He trashed Cincy? Worse than the Bengals continue to do every year? OUTRAGE!

implied smilie

Kimosabae said:
No, you just have a low tolerance for the art, along with a sullied perception of any artist that doesn't fit into your narrow conception of what a rapper is and what they do.

I mean, if you consider yourself a fan of hip hop and can't observe the similarities that truly exist between artists like Black Thought and Aesop or Talib and Atmos, then I don't know what to say to you.

'Backpacker' is a completely ignorant and empty distinction used to create a sterilized "other".

Also, have you ever considered the possibility that some artist don't care to make club music?

Uh, dude. You so missed the point. He was saying there is quality backpack rap and bad consciousness rap. Not that everybody needs to be on some dance club shit.

calmdownbro.jpg

Whoa. Sudden Lupe hate, I don't get it. Dude is an amazing rapper, but people oughta know that he is prone to saying/doing stupid shit every now and again. This isn't the first incident where Lupe has embarassed himself. Yeah, Japanese Cartoon was HORRIBLE, but who didn't see that coming? Before that though, he had the "Enemy of the State" mixtape which wasn't super good, but it had some gems in it.
Idk if Lasers is gunna be as good as The Cool, but I have little doubt that its gunna be a great album.

Kimosabae

Banned
WanderingWind said:
Uh, dude. You so missed the point. He was saying there is quality backpack rap and bad consciousness rap. Not that everybody needs to be on some dance club shit.

calmdownbro.jpg

"For every Talib there's an Atmosphere. For every Black Thought there an Aesop Rock"

So he's not dissing Aesop and Atmosphere here?

WanderingWind

Kimosabae said:
"For every Talib there's an Atmosphere. For every Black Thought there an Aesop Rock"

So he's not dissing Aesop and Atmosphere here?

So? That wasn't what you were responding to. You responded as if he said all "backpack" rappers sucked and why didn't they make more club bangers and shit. Not that he disliked a few within that genre. He likes Talib, etc.

Besides, Aesop does suck. It's even in his Wiki.

kamspy

Kimosabae said:

I just wanna see them do well. Lupe isn't the only rapper squandering his talents. He's just the one being a diva about it right now. Calling out blogs and producers is idiotic. Those are the bricks you build your house from, not call out on twitter.

I have no problem with artists who don't want to make club music. I'm a dad, I don't really do the club thing anymore. I don't have any personal use for club records.

Did you hear his B.M.F. remix? Has to be the most pretentious drivel I've heard all summer. I'm shocked I actually prefer the Rick Ross version. Maybe I'm not shocked and that's why I'm mad. The squandered rap talent cycle has claimed another victim. If anyone sees him on his way down to the squandered rap talent tenement, have him say wassup to Slim Thug, The Lox, Budden and Royce. Gotta pour one out for those cats every now and then.;)

Wocka Flocka is making money right now people, so it's not like the competition is stiff. :|

EDIT: I'm pretty much completely dissing Aesop and Atmosphere there. I've bought their records. I'm allowed to complain about bad product. Bazooka Tooth was enough to get me off the backpack for a good year cold turkey.

Kimosabae

Banned
WanderingWind said:
So? That wasn't what you were responding to. You responded as if he said all "backpack" rappers sucked and why didn't they make more club bangers and shit. Not that he disliked a few within that genre. He likes Talib, etc.

Besides, Aesop does suck. It's even in his Wiki.

No, you suck.

Believe it or not, there's actually a lot of racial baggage being carried in the term "backpacker" - people typically use it to refer to the new millennium explosion of underground white rap artists. He didn't just say " I don't like Aesop and Atmo", he stated their very existence within the "subgenre" made it objectively unstable, somehow. He directly relates two black acts to two white acts. It may have just been subconscious but I wouldn't call it a coincidence.

Honestly, I've never heard anyone refer to rappers such as BT and Talib as "backpack".

Whatever.

Kamspy

Figures you'd choose Aesop's generally least regarded, and most experimental, album as your starting point to form an opinion on him.

kamspy said:
EDIT: I'm pretty much completely dissing Aesop and Atmosphere there. I've bought their records. I'm allowed to complain about bad product. Bazooka Tooth was enough to get me off the backpack for a good year cold turkey.

I'll agree that he can be a bit hit or miss, but Labor Days and None Shall Pass are absolutely amazing. I don't see how someone can hate on Atmosphere though.

Kimosabae

Banned
Tkawsome said:
I'll agree that he can be a bit hit or miss, but Labor Days and None Shall Pass are absolutely amazing. I don't see how someone can hate on Atmosphere though.

What work outside "Bazooka Tooth" would you consider to be misses?

Tkawsome said:

Atmosphere is awesome, personally, but I can most definitely see how some people don't like them. It can be too "emorap" for some, or too "indierap" or whatever. I'll also second Labor Days and None Shall Pass are awesome.

kamspy

Tkawsome said:

Comes to Scribblejam, agrees to battle local rappers on a side stage, proceeds to get toasted, instead of giving dap goes on stage, tirade about how shitty the cincy scene is, how shitty scribblejam is, how no one in cincy has a record deal other than hi-tek, throws his drink on a guy, verbally calls for security when said guy approaches, etc. etc.

He basically came to our biggest yearly hip hop event and told us we were shit.

Our scene is a mess though. T.I. came and did basically the same thing and the dumb asses shot his manager. Nice job Cincy hip hop scene. :| Now everyone wants a collab.

Kimosabae said:
What work outside "Bazooka Tooth" would you consider to be misses?

Not really misses just something I never really got into. Random tracks off Float or Bazooka Tooth that pop up on Pandora. I don't own those albums though and music can take a while to grow on me, so who knows if I'll have the same attitude after I buy those albums. Still, Labor Days and None Shall Pass solidify him as one of my favorites.

Kimosabae

Banned
Tkawsome said:
Not really misses just something I never really got into. Random tracks off Float or Bazooka Tooth that pop up on Pandora. I don't own those albums though and music can take a while to grow on me, so who knows if I'll have the same attitude after I buy those albums. Still, Labor Days and None Shall Pass solidify him as one of my favorites.

Please. Pleeeeaaaase. Listen to 'Float'.

Tokubetsu

I don't think anyone will say Bazooka Tooth was a "good" or even "decent" album. That said I can understand not digging Atmosphere or Aesop. It's just another sub genre, you don't have to like it. I think they're important to have in the game though, to break that myth that hip-hop is a one trick poney and not multi-faceted.

Labor Days & Float > Daylight EP > None Shall Pass > Fast Cars, Danger, Fire and Knives
> Appleseed > Muse for Earthworms > Bazooka Tooth

Kimosabae

Banned
Oh, C'mon. BT wasn't that bad. The scope of the album is him trying to be more light-hearted with topics of conversation. I know most peeps don't like the production, though, which is fair, as he did most of the work himself. I think you're being a bit harsh, though.

I disagree that Aesop and Atmo qualify as a type of "subgenre". You'd have highlight the elements of their music that make them merely a derivative of Rap music and not Rap music wholesale to convince me. Obviously, that discussion has the potential to get muddy, but I'd really like to here what makes the music those guys make so derivative in-and-of-itself.

Float > Labor Days > Music for Earthworms > Appleseed > Daylight EP > None Shall Pass > Bazooka Tooth > Fast Cars

HiResDes

kamspy said:

For what it's worth, I'd still be bashing him if not for the 'incident'. Wasn't a big fan beforehand.
Whoa I'm from and live in Cincy right now...Oh and yeah I hate to say it but I've never been a huge fan of Aesop Rock, Atmosphere, or even much of Busdriver's shit.

Tokubetsu

Kimosabae said:
Oh, C'mon. BT wasn't that bad. The scope of the album is him trying to be more light-hearted with topics of conversation. I know most peeps don't like the production, though, which is fair, as he did most of the work himself. I think you're being a bit harsh, though.

I disagree that Aesop and Atmo qualify as a type of "subgenre". You'd have highlight the elements of their music that make them merely a derivative of Rap music and not Rap music wholesale to convince me. Obviously, that discussion has the potential to get muddy, but I'd really like to here what makes the music those guys make so derivative in-and-of-itself.

Float > Labor Days > Music for Earthworms > Appleseed > Daylight EP > None Shall Pass > Bazooka Tooth > Fast Cars

When I said sub-genre, I didn't mean it in a deragatory way.

Tokubetsu

Kimosabae said:
I didn't think you did. I was just interested in hearing your rationalization of it.

My rationalization of is a bit like a flow chart I guess. We have mainstream rap or what average joe considers to be the atypical rap. This changes over time to incorporate different sounds (much like other genres). These older or "outdated" sounds fall to the side and kinda become sub-genres. It's all hip-hop but based on area, year etc they're different. I don't really know what else you want me to say haha. It's easier to define things once they're labled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom