• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lupe, why are you slowly self-destructing? He's probably my favorite rapper, and it's kind of sad to see him having to take part in twitter beef. B.M.F. didn't "click" with me for probably the same reasons you guys don't like it. (If you watch The Boondocks, B.M.F. reminded me of the episode where no one cares about Thugnificent and he ends up releasing trash.) Japanese Cartoon, while it was expressive, didn't really interest me at all. Lasers, when it gets released, will probably be ignored by the masses because of lack of promotion/marketing/etc. Those twitter posts of Prolyfic did leave me asking myself a good question..

Why are Altantic Records NOT releasing Lasers?

I remember Lupe saying in some interview that he doesn't want to be a "Jay-Z". He doesn't want to be mainstream like that and would rather be talking at colleges and doing things for charities. That's all fine, but as someone mentioned before, why is he so bent on album sales and illegal downloading if this is the case?

I dunno. I just want Lasers and I'm going crazy and I'm typing on my blackberry while freestyling on a radio show, I don't know anymore, LOL.

EDIT: Lmao, daaaaayum @ Foxy. That guy's face oglin' her from the back is hilarious. I don't know bout the rest of you, but I'd still hit it.

Kimosabae

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
My rationalization of is a bit like a flow chart I guess. We have mainstream rap or what average joe considers to be the atypical rap. This changes over time to incorporate different sounds (much like other genres). These older or "outdated" sounds fall to the side and kinda become sub-genres. It's all hip-hop but based on area, year etc they're different. I don't really know what else you want me to say haha. It's easier to define things once they're labled.

Thanks for that, but I have a problem with you putting mainstream rap in the center of that chart.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Any of you live near Chicago? I've bounced around in this thread before, mainly touting Astronautalis. Just found out he's playing here in Chicago in October with K-Os and Shad over at Lincoln Hall. Pretty damn good show for $15 I'd say. :D

HiResDes

30000-ft-High-Rising-Cover.jpg

Download (Scroll for Direct Link)

...Definitely some bangers on this.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Man it's like I planned this shit or something. :lol :lol :lol

I asked wtf was up with the Lupe album earlier today, and boom a few hours later I get a reply because Twitter-Hop is blowing up with some crazy Lupe shiznit! :lol

I like Lupe's old stuff as much as most around here and I'm not even a hip-hop head, but he has gone crazy. I mean even I knew he was prone to do some random stuff, but he's sort of off the depend now. I like his music, and would love for him to get back on track.

Count me in the camp that wonders why he's so obsessed about leaks and sales on one hand, but doesn't care about being mainstream or getting big or anything on the other. Just seems rather contradictory.

Anyways out of the 5 things I've downloaded/bought from this thread I'd rank them as follows...

5. Gilbere Forte' - 98 Dreams

Starts off hot, but then it gets IDK rather generic IMO. It's no wonder to because the 1st track is a remix of a new indie song and the production was done by one of the guys from Passion Pit who I really like. I also think the album closes well too as it gets back to being IDK dreamy like. The middle just seems kind of blah to me. I might be in the minority but give me more 1st Floor and Dawn and less Burn Me Down and Black Chukkas please.

4. Wale - Mix Tape About Nothing

Sure this comes in at 4 but I consider there to be a large ass gap between my top 4 and Forte's drop. This is a solid outing and all, but IDK all the stand out Wale tracks for me are on the actual album. So I tend to want to listen to the album over the mix tape if I want to get my Wale fix.

3. Wale - Attention Deficit

I REAALLLLY like the cover for this album for some reason. IDK it just really resonates with me. Favorite Wale track has to be #3 on this one aka Mirrors. This album just jumped out to me. I LOVE the beat, and think the flow really matches it as well from both Wale and Bun B. I had this song stuck in my head two weekends ago fo sho!

2. XV - Everybody's Nobody

Mad props to XV getting a deal. I just really like this album as a whole. Unlike the other 3 albums where I just want to listen to certain tracks or want to skip stuff or never want to just put it on and play, I never skip to a track on Everybody's Nobody. I just put this one and let it roll out. From the Intro to In Due Time I'm digging the flow and the beats riding the whole mix tape wave.

1. The ILLZ - The Pursuit

This shit is on another level. I don't just like this album. I don't just like this album now. Hell my GF heard this album one time last week when we were making out, and asked if I could share the next day. This album isn't just a good hip-hop album. It's not just a great hip-hop album of 2010. Hell it's not just a great album for 2010. I can say this is one of the best albums I've heard of the past 5 years or so in ANY genre.

The cover for this one is just fuck'n sooooooo in tune with the album it's scary. That it's beyond twilight but not like zomg it's fuck'n totally black out feel. The it's a lazy train ride at night where you aren't sure if you are really awake but you can tell you aren't really dreaming either. You're just drifting through your thoughts while you stare out the window and let "life just with a blink or pass by us." It almost has this throw back feel you'd get from an old movie with some detective in his office late at night without the jazzy horns.

Illz lyrics and flows just fit the feel he's trying to get across is fuck'n awesome. To quote Illz at the end of the 1st track the appreciation...

"I like to really come across with a lot of emotion and I want people to be able to relate to who I'm writing too. If you listen to my music there's not really nothing crazy I don't really brag to much on record uh it's just you know I make music that people can really relate to you know when you have issues you know it's it's I like to come across with a lot of emotions I really like to connect with people that way and that's basically how I approach every track..."

Well bravo sir you definitely have connected with me! :D

Brettison said:

Mad props to XV getting a deal. I just really like this album as a whole. Unlike the other 3 albums where I just want to listen to certain tracks or want to skip stuff or never want to just put it on and play, I never skip to a track on Everybody's Nobody. I just put this one and let it roll out. From the Intro to In Due Time I'm digging the flow and the beats riding the whole mix tape wave.

This is becoming increasingly rare in hiphop for me, there's very few albums where I can listen through an entire album and never have the urge to skip a song. The first one that comes to mind is DJ K.O. - Picture This..., Finale & Spier 1200 - Develop, Freeway & Jake One - The Stimulus Package, The ILLZ, A couple Canibus albums, Jedi Mind, Skyzoo, Outerspace, and maybe a few others. I'm sure I could think of more that would seem like a big list, but in reality with the huge amount of hiphop I have, the list of albums I can play from A to Z is fairly small in contrast to what's out there.

I rarely skip a track on Square in the Circle, and I have 40 days/nights down to about 20 unskippable tracks, Everybody's Nobody has a few I skip but still great

Only other albums to come out that I listen start to finish are POS and Kid Cudi

Tokubetsu

Kimosabae said:
Thanks for that, but I have a problem with you putting mainstream rap in the center of that chart.

Yeah but im going off what mainstream media currently perceives as hip-hop. It's whatever, not like anyone will be "right" on this since there is no right. It's just however YOU manage to navigate the maze.

HiResDes

Since we're revisiting semi-old mixtapes, been bumping this one today:

Dee-Goodz-ConGradUlations-Cover-540x540.jpg

DL LINK

Definitely some laid back shit, slizza posted this in the old thread I believe.

Kimosabae said:
No, you suck.

Believe it or not, there's actually a lot of racial baggage being carried in the term "backpacker" - people typically use it to refer to the new millennium explosion of underground white rap artists. He didn't just say " I don't like Aesop and Atmo", he stated their very existence within the "subgenre" made it objectively unstable, somehow. He directly relates two black acts to two white acts. It may have just been subconscious but I wouldn't call it a coincidence.

Honestly, I've never heard anyone refer to rappers such as BT and Talib as "backpack".
Huh? WTF your rambling about, the term "Backpacker" has never carry that "Racial" tone your talking about. The term change over the decades when it was actually reference to graffiti writers who had underground rap music that you hear on WKCR-NY for example in their backpacks. People use the term to described Underground Rap Music(Or Fans)nowadays.

Oh man, can't wait to tell this to DJ Eclipse at Fat Beats tomorrow, lol.

IrishNinja

yeah, uh, what the fuck was that? almost everyone i know that talks @ Kweli calls his music "backpacker" hip-hop/rap. looking for a pattern and then calling it some unconscious shit is silly, and requires you to close your ears to make the pieces fit.
for what it's worth: what ive heard from aesop is weak.

still looking forward to new Wale. im following RZA's tweets, still nothing on Liquid Swords 2? i hope it's actually going down this year.

Tokubetsu

Look at what Lupe has done. He's ruined this thread.

Finally listened to:
jKNPIl.jpg

Good shit but what is up with them using Smooth Sailing? Was it planned for this but just ended up on Wu Massacre first? "The Testimony" by Killah Priest is my favourite track on the album. Beat is dope, chorus is great and Priest kills it like usual. I know I was fucking late but I'm glad I finally got into Priest.

Jay Sosa

HiResDes said:
Since we're revisiting semi-old mixtapes, been bumping this one today:

http://cdn.tss.uproxx.com/TSS/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Dee-Goodz-ConGradUlations-Cover-540x540.jpg
[URL="http://usershare.net/lbdrxqle1tmb"]DL LINK[/URL]

Definitely some laid back shit, slizza posted this in the old thread I believe.[/QUOTE]

Yeah said it before in the old thread that winner track has one of my favorite beats I heard this year. Too bad I can't find a link anywhere..

@the foxy pic: At least Foxy still looks like she belongs on our planet.

I think a lot of people are gonna be disappointed when Lasers comes out, the hype Lupe gets is nearly as big as when GRODT was released. He's like the Justin Bieber of the Hip Hop Community, you guys scream and faint when you see him? :lol

Ashhong

this is all obviously 1 big viral marketing scheme and plan to get his album out! judging by that atlantic records tweet, it just might have worked :D

Brettison said:
Count me in the camp that wonders why he's so obsessed about leaks and sales on one hand, but doesn't care about being mainstream or getting big or anything on the other. Just seems rather contradictory.
I don't find it to be contradictory at all. Selling your product and being "mainstream" CAN have a bit of overlap, but they really are mutually exclusive issues.

In short, I'm sure he understands its important to maintain and sell to your niche. because your market isn't huge, being able to sell to that market is even more important than usual. This does not mean, however, that he should compromise his musical integrity in order to reach those not ordinarily attracted to his music...which in this context means simplified lyrics, generic themes, and club stuff. Not that there's really anything wrong with those things...but its inherently antithetical to who he wants to be and be known as.

again, two mutually exclusive issues. as long as what he's making sells to the appropriate levels of critical mass, Atlantic will STFU and he can remain who he is without getting dropped or something. If his stuff gets leaked, it makes it difficult to reach the necessary amount of sales, blah blah blah, problem.

or am I missing something? Because I don't see the conflict you're seeing.

Kimosabae

Banned
As I stated before, "Backpacker" is a muddy, but, largely empty description that carries a lot of connotations. I probably shouldn't have used the word "typically" as it really depends on era and area. For a time, the underground rap scene WAS largely represented by whites. There's no denying this, especially with the explosion of the Mid West in the new millennium. The underground white rapper, DJ, and Producer was on the rise. DJ White Lightning, Robust, Qwel, RJD2 Atmo, Aesop, Blockhead, Eminem, Jakeone, Meaty Ogre, Mac Lethal, Necro, EL-P, MC Chris etc., etc... I can go on and on. All these artists hail from the same era.

Just because some of you never encountered the term in that context doesn't mean it doesn't carry any weight in said context. It largely refers to underground rap, and at a time, whites were dominating underground rap.

Also, I'm probably overstepping my boundaries here, since I've spent almost my entire life in South Florida, but I haven't associated anyone outside whites with graffiti since the new millenium. Obviously, that doesn't mean people outside whites don't do graffiti. But today, it largely seems to be represented by middle class white society.

Kimosabae

Banned
Sorry for the Double Post.

I'm truly shocked at all the Aesop hate in here. I know he's not for everyone, but I thought he at least got the general respect he deserved.

Funny story - people tried putting me onto Aesop continuously in the early 00s, and I tossed his CDs out my car window each time. I thought he was nonsensical trash. One day I decided to actually sit and listen to his music discerningly in an attempt to understand how he managed to trick publishers into releasing his bullshit and actually generate a fanbase.

Without hesitation, I'll say that was a defining moment for me. Aesop's music changed my life. His lyricism totally opened my mind to what I should expect not only from music; but from entertainment in general. This, in turn, forced me interpret the world around me differently and I was constantly seeking stimulation. I can't expect him to have that kind of effect on everyone, but I honestly think he could if people would let him - but that sounds conspicuously like religious conviction, so I'll stop there.

I'ma start posting more Aesop shit.

This is the first track I sat down and listened to when I discovered him:

The Tugboat Complex
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=125j6-Gt67k

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Brettison said:

This shit is on another level. I don't just like this album. I don't just like this album now. Hell my GF heard this album one time last week when we were making out, and asked if I could share the next day. This album isn't just a good hip-hop album. It's not just a great hip-hop album of 2010. Hell it's not just a great album for 2010. I can say this is one of the best albums I've heard of the past 5 years or so in ANY genre.

The cover for this one is just fuck'n sooooooo in tune with the album it's scary. That it's beyond twilight but not like zomg it's fuck'n totally black out feel. The it's a lazy train ride at night where you aren't sure if you are really awake but you can tell you aren't really dreaming either. You're just drifting through your thoughts while you stare out the window and let "life just with a blink or pass by us." It almost has this throw back feel you'd get from an old movie with some detective in his office late at night without the jazzy horns.

Illz lyrics and flows just fit the feel he's trying to get across is fuck'n awesome. To quote Illz at the end of the 1st track the appreciation...

"I like to really come across with a lot of emotion and I want people to be able to relate to who I'm writing too. If you listen to my music there's not really nothing crazy I don't really brag to much on record uh it's just you know I make music that people can really relate to you know when you have issues you know it's it's I like to come across with a lot of emotions I really like to connect with people that way and that's basically how I approach every track..."

So glad i'm not the only one. I'd love to know what samples he used on some of the tracks, the girl sounds so familiar. I have been listening to this album non stop since I got it, just such an amazing album and definitely one of my favorite albums of all time. Just epically enjoyable on every level. I'm sure some nas fans would have a heart attack at this statement, but to me, it's a modern day illmatic. A compact album that gets right to the point, throws a short tracklist of unique songs that just speak to you from beginning to end, and combines beautiful production with fantastic lyricism. I love that he weaves from jazzy to radiohead-ish tracks (I always said radiohead would be one of my favorite bands if they had a different lead singer). It's got a very dark feel but it's never depressing, just fascinating and beautiful.

I love that it peaks at Come in, the one very upbeat track on the album. I'm not much of a romantic anymore and I usually hate songs like this (see nothing on you from BOB) but this is just a fantastic track. The pursuit wraps it up by bringing the vibe back to beginning, and then the last track feels like it brings it full circle. The only thing I might complain about is that the bonus track at end of track 11 kind of ruins the feel of progression, but it's still a great track, even if it doesn't entirely fit on the album.

I've been pimping this harder than my own music on gaf and elsewhere, and for a good reason, people need to hear this (and while your at it DL my garbage too :p lol)

Tokubetsu said:
Look at what Lupe has done. He's ruined this thread.

Finally listened to:

Good shit but what is up with them using Smooth Sailing? Was it planned for this but just ended up on Wu Massacre first? "The Testimony" by Killah Priest is my favourite track on the album. Beat is dope, chorus is great and Priest kills it like usual. I know I was fucking late but I'm glad I finally got into Priest.

Lol nah, I'd rather have people talk about the integrity of music and artists ambitions than something as pointless as GOAT.

Good stuff by the way, I forget about Priest a lot and "rediscover" him months later.

Dreams-Visions said:
In short, I'm sure he understands its important to maintain and sell to your niche. because your market isn't huge, being able to sell to that market is even more important than usual. This does not mean, however, that he should compromise his musical integrity in order to reach those not ordinarily attracted to his music...which in this context means simplified lyrics, generic themes, and club stuff. Not that there's really anything wrong with those things...but its inherently antithetical to who he wants to be and be known as.

A fitting Freestyle quote addresses this discussion: Now what's the use of rhymin' if you can't do what you feel, you ready to sacrifice and sign your life just to get a deal? They got you by the strings when theres no creative control, dollars amount to nothin' when your body don't have a soul, its like living with no skeletal frame, you rather settle for fame and play the game instead for critical acclaim.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Kimosabae said:
Sorry for the Double Post.

I'm truly shocked at all the Aesop hate in here. I know he's not for everyone, but I thought he at least got the general respect he deserved.

Funny story - people tried putting me onto Aesop continuously in the early 00s, and I tossed his CDs out my car window each time. I thought he was nonsensical trash. One day I decided to actually sit and listen to his music discerningly in an attempt to understand how he managed to trick publishers into releasing his bullshit and actually generate a fanbase.

Without hesitation, I'll say that was a defining moment for me. Aesop's music changed my life. His lyricism totally opened my mind to what I should expect not only from music; but from entertainment in general. This, in turn, forced me interpret the world around me differently and I was constantly seeking stimulation. I can't expect him to have that kind of effect on everyone, but I honestly think he could if people would let him - but that conspicuously like religious conviction, so I'll stop there.

I'm start posting more Aesop shit.

This is the first track I sat down and listened to when I discovered him:

The Tugboat Complex
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=125j6-Gt67k

Ignore Kampsy, any man who hates atmosphere isn't worth the shit he's so full of. Aesop, whether you like his style or not, is one of the greatest producers alive.

This talk of Atmosphere has gotten me listening to this album again.
album-you-cant-imagine-how-much-fun-were-having.jpg

Their best album, IMO. Silenced any haters that said that they were just "Emo-Rap".

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I am really hyped for Bun B next week. Though it seems that day is a big crowded with releases.

Bishman

Brettison said:

Thank god for GAF. I've seen these two albums on hip hop blogs but you know how there is so much music out there. When I see everyone co-signing these albums and giving a lot of praise - I had to listen. It did not disappointed! :D

Bishman

I love Lupe but at the same time, fuck him.

Why is punishing fans like me with no new music. Even Kanye before he dropped Graduation, dropped a mixtape. Drake gave his fans So Far Gone as a mixtape and that could be an album. Eminem dropped multiple freestyles before Relapse and Recovery. T.I. doesn't even like making mixtapes but dropped one too called "Fuck a mixtape!" lol.

To Lupe: screw you!

I'm still going to buy Lasers though. :D

Pinko Marx said:
Who else is dropping?

Today:

2 Hungry Bros & 8thW1 - No Room For Dessert
Common Grackle - Great Depression
Cut Chemist - Sound Of The Police
Fat Joe - The Dark Side
Goldtoes Presents - The Gold Club
Goons United by the New School - The New Era
Kooley High - Eastern Standard Time
Lil Joe - High School Dropout
Madlib - Medicine Show No. 7: High Jazz
Moe Pope - Life After God
Paper Tiger - Made Like Us
Shawn Jackson - Brand New Old Me
Shawn Jackson - Brand New Old Me [Vinyl]
Slum Village - Villa Manifesto
Step Up 3D Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Super Chron Flight Brothers - Cape Verde
Tech N9ne Collabos: The Gates Mixed Plate
Young D - Northern Cali Lifestyle
Spoken Word - After the Pain

http://www.netweed.com/hiphop/albums/

Bun B & El-P on 8/3.

Devil Theory said:
Today:

2 Hungry Bros & 8thW1 - No Room For Dessert
Common Grackle - Great Depression
Cut Chemist - Sound Of The Police
Fat Joe - The Dark Side
Goldtoes Presents - The Gold Club
Goons United by the New School - The New Era
Kooley High - Eastern Standard Time
Lil Joe - High School Dropout
Madlib - Medicine Show No. 7: High Jazz
Moe Pope - Life After God
Paper Tiger - Made Like Us
Shawn Jackson - Brand New Old Me
Shawn Jackson - Brand New Old Me [Vinyl]
Slum Village - Villa Manifesto
Step Up 3D Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Super Chron Flight Brothers - Cape Verde
Tech N9ne Collabos: The Gates Mixed Plate
Young D - Northern Cali Lifestyle
Spoken Word - After the Pain

http://www.netweed.com/hiphop/albums/

Bun B & El-P on 8/3.

SAY WHAT!?

Pinko Marx said:
This talk of Atmosphere has gotten me listening to this album again.
album-you-cant-imagine-how-much-fun-were-having.jpg

Their best album, IMO. Silenced any haters that said that they were just "Emo-Rap".

Hell yeah. That whole album is great, especially the track "Get Fly".

Jay Sosa

@kimo: Got that "Freezerburner" album today, the production is outstanding and Qwel is as nice as I expected. So far I like it even better than "The New Wine"

thisiswhatimtalmbout:

Freezer_Burner_Qwel_Meaty_Ogre__6634704.jpg

So damn amazing:

Saved

Forgive 'em

And listened to that Moe Green tape, very chill, perfect for a little walk during my lunch break.

Title match

EDIT: Just saw this video of Qwel freestyling, he looks like he posts here, get a haircut for christ's sake.

Old hobo looking motherfucker :lol

SUPREME1

Banned
Kimosabae said:
No, you suck.

Believe it or not, there's actually a lot of racial baggage being carried in the term "backpacker" - people typically use it to refer to the new millennium explosion of underground white rap artists. He didn't just say " I don't like Aesop and Atmo", he stated their very existence within the "subgenre" made it objectively unstable, somehow. He directly relates two black acts to two white acts. It may have just been subconscious but I wouldn't call it a coincidence.
Honestly, I've never heard anyone refer to rappers such as BT and Talib as "backpack".

Whatever.

Kamspy

Figures you'd choose Aesop's generally least regarded, and most experimental, album as your starting point to form an opinion on him.

SMH.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Trying to decide if I am going to the Bun B CD release concert next week. General admission is 25 on the floor, reserved seating in the balcony is 50 bucks.

Kimosabae

Banned
Jay Sosa said:
@kimo: Got that "Freezerburner" album today, the production is outstanding and Qwel is as nice as I expected. So far I like it even better than "The New Wine"

thisiswhatimtalmbout:

Freezer_Burner_Qwel_Meaty_Ogre__6634704.jpg

So damn amazing:

Saved

Forgive 'em

And listened to that Moe Green tape, very chill, perfect for a little walk during my lunch break.

Title match

EDIT: Just saw this video of Qwel freestyling, he looks like he posts here, get a haircut for christ's sake.

Old hobo looking motherfucker :lol

Tell 'em Jay. They're 'sleepin.

Stand out tracks for me:

'Id Glue', 'Read Writer', 'Who's the Boogieman'

'Fourth Reich of the Rich'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxaXS...ext=1&index=71

'Fourth Reich', IMO, is the best hip hop track I've heard critiquing the woes of capitalism. He doesn't beat you over the head with his principles, but if you listen to the lyrics, it's clear he researched and he knows his shit.

And yeah, Qwel definitely looks like he belongs in your WoW guild, not slaying some instrumental. But all you gotta do is look at him to see that he lives by the principles he highlights in his music. A mendicant soul housing a lot of pain. I love him.

Jay Sosa

dskillzhtown said:
Trying to decide if I am going to the Bun B CD release concert next week. General admission is 25 on the floor, reserved seating in the balcony is 50 bucks.

Why not? Dude is a legend and you should support him. I would go if I wasn't a hundred thousand miles away. I bet there will be half of Htown on stage.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Kimosabae said:
No, you suck.

Wow, I missed this. No, backpacker has been around since the early 90s at least. It was used in Yo! MTV Raps! You completely made up the racial connotations, but for what reason I haven't a clue.

Also, when comparing Aesop Rock to fucking Talib Kweli OF COURSE fucking Aesop is going to come up short....it has nothing to do with race. If you'd compare Talib and Eminem, then Kewli would lose.

You wouldn't call it a coincidence because you want somebody not liking two rappers (who have a marginal fanbase to begin with) to be racial. It's not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom