• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
So now the jackass is saying he won't release the Dre single until he gets 3000 followers.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Two tracks in two days. Signing him was great, if only because we got new music from him so fast. lol

If Jay is spitting like he is on this track, Watch The Throne should be pretty epic. I just need a GOOD Friday track with, Yeezy, Jay Elec, and Jay Z. lol

TheOddOne said:
Even if he did bring us BIG, he still is/wasn't relevant.
trying too hard, dogg.

you don't have to like or respect the guy. I don't give 2 fucks. But suggesting Diddy wasn't ever relevant is to suggest 90s hip-hop didn't happen. He and Bad Boy set the standard for music videos, held arguably the dopest hip-hop artist to ever live, and helped produce many classics. That includes Mary J Blige's "What's the 411?" legendary shit. 112's classic shit. Total's classic shit. Lil Kim's quasi-classic shit. Hell, his own 'No Way Out' was great shit. BIG's legendary shit and remixes don't even require mentioning.

Fuck, outside of Dre and Wu, Puff was as significant to mid 90s hip-hop (and black music in general) as it got. It is what it is.

see5harp

Okay I'll give you Mary J., Total, and 112 but you crazy with that Lil' Kim shit. Diddy is very important to 90's hip hop though. There is no question about that. Not sure whether he was the sole producer on the Method Man All I need Remix with Mary J. Blige, but that right there is enough to justify his existence.

Dreams-Visions said:
trying too hard, dogg.

you don't have to like or respect the guy. I don't give 2 fucks. But suggesting Diddy wasn't ever relevant is to suggest 90s hip-hop didn't happen. He and Bad Boy set the standard for music videos, held arguably the dopest hip-hop artist to ever live, and helped produce many classics. That includes Mary J Blige's "What's the 411?" legendary shit. 112's classic shit. Total's classic shit. Lil Kim's quasi-classic shit. Hell, his own 'No Way Out' was great shit. BIG's legendary shit and remixes don't even require mentioning.

Fuck, outside of Dre and Wu, Puff was as significant to mid 90s hip-hop (and black music in general) as it got. It is what it is.

What exactly did Diddy produce, hip hop wise? Outside of the skits on Ready to Die, easily the worst aspect of that classic album. Diddy's talent and influence on music has always been misrepresented. The fact is that he barely produced anything, had ghost writers and producers working for him, and has stolen millions from his artists. The man is nothing more than a snake and I have absolutely NO respect for him or anything he has ever done.

He's a good businessman, although not with music. His albums were selling when everyone's albums were selling. He has been completely unable to adapt to the current state of hip hop. Notice how the second it seems like he has a somewhat big record he's still remixing it to oblivion, still spending millions on videos, etc. That doesn't work anymore. Every few years it seems like Bad Boy makes a comeback off the back of a one hit wonder - remember Cassie and Young Joc? Then what happens: remix after remix, over exposure, and before you know it no one remembers them as they're trying to pay back their budget. If Cassie wasn't sucking Diddy's dick she wouldn't even be on the label anymore. I don't think she's talented, but you'd think she could have a decent career with a generic electronic beat to sing over. Yet Bad Boy can't even provide that for her.

see5harp said:
Okay I'll give you Mary J., Total, and 112 but you crazy with that Lil' Kim shit.
there's a reason why I said the word "quasi" in relation to Kim. BIG wrote some great lines for her. I definitely enjoyed her on some of the Junior MAFIA projects. I also thought DRUGS and Crush On You off of her first solo album are under-appreciated.

see5harp said:
Diddy is very important to 90's hip hop though. There is no question about that. Not sure whether he was the sole producer on the Method Man All I need Remix with Mary J. Blige, but that right there is enough to justify his existence.
well...at least he gets a little acknowledgement.

90s would have been very different without Puff getting his acts (BIG, Mary J, 112, Junior MAFIA, Total, Craig Mack, The LOX, Mase, Faith, etc.) out there...and if he wasn't producing for people like TLC, Boys II Men, Mariah Carey, Usher and others. Perish the fucking thought. :lol

PhoenixDark said:
What exactly did Diddy produce, hip hop wise?
how about you look it up? no reason to rant (or even read beyond the beginning of your post) when in the very first sentence you express a clear lack of knowledge on the subject. so why not just look it up, get a little enlightenment and report back?

siddx

PhoenixDark said:
What exactly did Diddy produce, hip hop wise? Outside of the skits on Ready to Die, easily the worst aspect of that classic album. Diddy's talent and influence on music has always been misrepresented. The fact is that he barely produced anything, had ghost writers and producers working for him, and has stolen millions from his artists. The man is nothing more than a snake and I have absolutely NO respect for him or anything he has ever done.

He's a good businessman, although not with music. His albums were selling when everyone's albums were selling. He has been completely unable to adapt to the current state of hip hop. Notice how the second it seems like he has a somewhat big record he's still remixing it to oblivion, still spending millions on videos, etc. That doesn't work anymore. Every few years it seems like Bad Boy makes a comeback off the back of a one hit wonder - remember Cassie and Young Joc? Then what happens: remix after remix, over exposure, and before you know it no one remembers them as they're trying to pay back their budget. If Cassie wasn't sucking Diddy's dick she wouldn't even be on the label anymore. I don't think she's talented, but you'd think she could have a decent career with a generic electronic beat to sing over. Yet Bad Boy can't even provide that for her.

We are talking about relevance, not talent. Plenty of people with no talent are (or were) musically relevant and vice versa.

Diddy was the centerpiece of hip hop for a time. The fact he got other people to make his music for him doesn't change the fact there were several years where he was a household name and whether we like it or not, one of the faces of hip hop.

Dreams-Visions said:
how about you look it up? no reason to rant (or even read beyond the beginning of your post) when in the very first sentence you express a clear lack of knowledge on the subject. so why not just look it up, get a little enlightenment and report back?

I asked in a rhetorical manner. Diddy didn't produce anything relevant for Biggie or any other rapper. Period. He's a producer in the sense that he came up with themes for albums, skits, motivation for his artists, etc. In terms of making beats? He has no relevance and that's a fact.

Lack of knowledge? Seriously? We can argue about Diddy's influence on rap, but it's a fact that he hasn't produced much of anything of hip hop.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Pinko Marx said:
I just want Dear Moleskine. Dammit. Why the hell does he just SIT on this shit?
THIS.

The new Jay Elec is alright, nothing special, but seriously all that clapping being overlayed is kinda unnecessary.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Was Akon really necessary on this track? I usually love Dre when he uses piano keys, but I also feel they were kind of not needed for the majority of the song.

Otherwise, song is better than expected.

Also, :lol @ Nate Dogg and Akon on the same track, I thought I'd never see the day.

enzo_gt said:
Was Akon really necessary on this track? I usually love Dre when he uses piano keys, but I also feel they were kind of not needed for the majority of the song.

Otherwise, song is better than expected.

Also, :lol @ Nate Dogg and Akon on the same track, I thought I'd never see the day.
Akon was necessary because of his international appeal. He's not big around here...but outside the US? dude is still huge. his presence ensures the world will hear this song.

so yes, he was an important strategic addition.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Dreams-Visions said:
Akon was necessary because of his international appeal. He's not big around here...but outside the US? dude is still huge. his presence ensures the world will hear this song.

so yes, he was an important strategic addition.
Dre is about strategies now than making good music? Never seen him as the type to try and go for international appeal for a song called "Kush." Not very much of a pop joint either.

Why is Akon huge internationally? And I thought he was fairly known in North America.

EDIT: Hmm. I guess they know the voice but I never pictured him as being "huge" in places like UK, South America, etc.

enzo_gt said:
Dre is about strategies now than making good music? Never seen him as the type to try and go for international appeal for a song called "Kush." Not very much of a pop joint either.

Why is Akon huge internationally? And I thought he was fairly known in North America.
you asked why he would be on the song. it's the only reason I can think of. but is that really any different than why someone would pay Weezy or Jay-Z for a less than spectacular guest spot on their songs over the last few years? Star appeal matters. Nobody should be surprised about that...hip-hop GAF least of all.

and I'm not sure exactly why he's so big internationally. I just know that he is. he's one of the biggest music stars in the world...which takes Americans by surprise. He's well known here but not greatly adored or anything here. But elsewhere, dude is a force.

Edit: Forbes on him earlier this year http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/53/celeb-100-10_Akon_JRSB.html

keep in mind, it's been several years since he made anything really huge...and he's STILL top 30 in the WORLD in web searches and social site searches. that's power you can't buy.

PBY

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
yessir. shit goes hard. The prospect of a new Dre album coming in the forseeable future is giving me a chub.
seriously- that track absolutely blew my mind

mostly because i wasn't sure whether dre had it in him anymore, especially after under pressure

siddx

"Sexy Bitch" was huge overseas. I remember being in Chile last year and hearing it coming out of every damn car and playing on the radio every 5 seconds. Akon has been smart enough to latch onto other pop artists that have given him a boost in non hip hop markets.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
peterb0y said:
seriously- that track absolutely blew my mind

mostly because i wasn't sure whether dre had it in him anymore, especially after under pressure
If you needed any indication Dre still had it, Topless is your indication.

God damn I'm so angry, that song could've been PERFECT for Dre's return to hip hop. Beat was 10/10, lyrics were 10/10.

PBY

Banned
enzo_gt said:
If you needed any indication Dre still had it, Topless is your indication.

God damn I'm so angry, that song could've been PERFECT for Dre's return to hip hop. Beat was 10/10, lyrics were 10/10.
truth, can't argue with that

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
A friend once told me to listen to Red Gone Wild because he though the album was pretty dope.

Needless to say I have never touched another Redman song or album ever again.

PBY

Banned
enzo_gt said:
A friend once told me to listen to Red Gone Wild because he though the album was pretty dope.

you never listened to Blackout!
?

siddx

enzo_gt said:

Sometimes you say things in here that make me want to poke you in the fucking eye.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
siddx said:
Sometimes you say things in here that make me want to poke you in the fucking eye.
What redeemable quality does Red Gone Wild have? I'm asking quite seriously. Production was pretty bad from what I remember as well.

And no I've never listened to Blackout, since, well yeah I've never went close to anything Redman ever again after listening to Red Gone Wild. Is that that album with Meth? I like Meth though.

PBY

Banned
enzo_gt said:
What redeemable quality does Red Gone Wild have? I'm asking quite seriously. Production was pretty bad from what I remember as well.

And no I've never listened to Blackout, since, well yeah I've never went close to anything Redman ever again after listening to Red Gone Wild. Is that that album with Meth? I like Meth though.
get on that shit asap dude, Blackout! is fucking awesome, and Blackout! 2 is also pretty good

siddx

enzo_gt said:

Avoiding Redman is the issue. Not the red gone wild avoidance. If I avoided artists based on a single terrible album I would have abandoned Kanye after 808.

PBY

Banned
siddx said:
Avoiding Redman is the issue. Not the red gone wild avoidance. If I avoided artists based on a single terrible album I would have abandoned Kanye after 808.
ice cold :lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
siddx said:
Oh shit :lol I don't naturally avoid artists like that, but really doesn't give me much incentive to listen to more, yknow?

After reading through the list-a-thon several pages back I've amassed a list of 24 albums to check out that I haven't already.

You guys have any idea how much it sucks being a young hip-hop fan? All the good shit and classics came out way before I really got into hip-hop, so it's difficult to appreciate, let alone go back and find all this shit. My generation is doomed to be criticized by all of the long-time hip-hop fans cause y'all actually lived through the golden era. :lol

siddx

enzo_gt said:
Oh shit :lol I don't naturally avoid artists like that, but really doesn't give me much incentive to listen to more, yknow?

After reading through the list-a-thon several pages back I've amassed a list of 24 albums to check out that I haven't already.

You guys have any idea how much it sucks being a young hip-hop fan? All the good shit and classics came out way before I really got into hip-hop, so it's difficult to appreciate, let alone go back and find all this shit. My generation is doomed to be criticized by all of the long-time hip-hop fans cause y'all actually lived through the golden era. :lol

Well when you listen to this albums, my advice is to let them grow on you. Even for myself, who bought a lot those albums when they first released, it sometimes took a long time to appreciate them. I remember buying enter the 36 chambers, listening once, and sticking in the back of a cd case for a year before I put it on as background music and next thing I know I was enthralled.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
siddx said:
Well when you listen to this albums, my advice is to let them grow on you. Even for myself, who bought a lot those albums when they first released, it sometimes took a long time to appreciate them. I remember buying enter the 36 chambers, listening once, and sticking in the back of a cd case for a year before I put it on as background music and next thing I know I was enthralled.
Yeah, I had to sit on 36 chambers for a bit but I do fully understand now why it's the landmark record that it is. Same with Paid in Full. Oddly enough, I immediately liked stuff like Extinction Level Event & all of 2Pac's stuff.

But yeah, its really difficult especially to appreciate the production I think, being so in tune with the fruity and more electric sounds of today's production vs. 90s production. Makes a lot of albums sound samey from start to finish, but I guess that's mostly due to artists sticking to one, or very few producers for entire albums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom