• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT14| The 6 God is Five Writers, And One False Idol

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this reinforces for me is that it must suck to be Drake. I mean, yeah, he gets to fuck pretty much anything he sees, but there's always some lingering shit that gets to him.

Tension with his idol Kanye, direct shots from Jay, an R&B singer throwing bottles at him in a club, Common getting tight over a woman, giving Kendrick his biggest shot at the mainstream and then Kendrick pulling power moves, setting Makonnen up to be the first star under him only to figure out he has tourettes low key, getting slapped by Diddy out of nowhere and that slap being heard across the world, Birdman not paying him millions he's owed, now Meek threatening his brand perception.

Gotta respect a dude who's been through all that shit and still trucking.

You forgot one.
Drake used to ride for Clipse haaard, Pusha especially, so Pusha dissing him must've hurt a little.

Kreed

It's interesting how much social media has changed public perception and expectations. There is a demand for an immediate response, and the wait is legitimately hurting Meek. Whereas nobody today remembers or cares that Ether came out more than a month after Takeover. I could be wrong but I think Meek has lost this no matter what - and his diss isn't even out yet.

Initially I said I hoped Meek wouldn't rush a response. Now I almost feel like Meek wasn't gonna respond to Charged Up. His behavior was so carefree and trivial I think maybe he was gonna ignore that shit and keep it moving. The initial assumption was that Drake was baiting him in order to drop the "real" diss. Well Meek didn't take the bait and Drake still dropped it. That tells me Meek wasn't impressed and didn't let his team gas him up...and it also tells me Drake doesn't think he can lose. This is the same dude who didn't say shit when Kendrick went at his neck btw. He's not scared or concerned about Meek.

I'd blame Flex and Hot97 more than I'd blame social media for the demand of a quicker response. They hyped up a track release/more reference tracks and didn't deliver, which also IMO let Drake see "blood in the water" and throw out another track.

Dereck

Didn't someone call Makkonen ILoveMacaroni in the last OT?

And, someone called OG Maco, OG Lacko

Ab-Soul = Flab Soul

These are priceless

Koozek

EDIT: NORE back on Hot97, talks the Meek/Drake/Flex stuff but mostly just shooting the shit. Man, dude is just a bundle of hilarity and energy. He makes a point about hip-hop missing the middle class, and Ebro does too talking about strippers being the A&Rs today.

"Ghostwrite for me? You'd have to be dyslexic. Ain't nobody doin that."
"Flex was on the radio like SNUFF YOUR MOTHERS"
"We need to make Flex IMMORTAL again"

LOL@NORE nonchalantly pulling out the hand sanitizer immediately after he gave Rosenberg a handshake (at 30m27s):
https://youtu.be/bARzlS3pYOA?t=30m27s

LOL@NORE nonchalantly pulling out the hand sanitizer immediately after he gave Rosenberg a handshake (at 30m27s):
https://youtu.be/bARzlS3pYOA?t=30m27s

LIOucFv.gif

Yeah, Slum Village will make this year's Top 3(/5 depending on Drake and Yeezy eventually), no doubt. So smooth and coherent production-wise.

https://play.spotify.com/album/3S3A1qu8bdElWTMM6um47O

It's a damn shame Elzhi isn't on that album. Obviously there are ugly business disputes between their manager and him but damn...even Dilla's brother is on that album, they've squashed beef with just about everyone but Elzhi. I think Houseshoes might be still on the outs with them too.

It's a damn shame Elzhi isn't on that album. Obviously there are ugly business disputes between their manager and him but damn...even Dilla's brother is on that album, they've squashed beef with just about everyone but Elzhi. I think Houseshoes might be still on the outs with them too.

At this point I'm convinced that Elzhi must be an absolute dick because I can't remember when he's had an appearance on any of his past affiliates records. Nothing with Black Milk, Royce, Guilty etc.

Also Lead Poison will be trash.

Speaking of Elzhi, do we finally have a release date on his upcoming album?

Nothing concrete. Last time they wrote something on the KS was back in February when they released... "February".

HiResDes

Didn't do this before, only started listening to hip hop less than 2 years ago, I've read nearly every GAF-Hop post for a while though.

1. Pick a Coast to rep (Chiraq or Atlantistan) - Chiraq since I listen to YE and Lupe, I wanna listen to more Outkast although I've not really been hooked by ATLiens, which is the first Outkast album I'm giving a spin.
2. What’s your favorite subgenre of rap? (Conscious/Backpack, Trap/Drill, Mafioso, WC Gangsta, Swag, Weed, Hyphy, Club, etc) - Conscious,Mafioso
3. Favorite Artists (Pick Five) - Biggie, Kendrick , Nas , Eminem, Hov
4. Favorite Artists Outside of Hip-Hop (Pick Five) - Arcade Fire, The Beatles, MJ, My Chemical Romance, Oasis
5. What was your hip-hop AOTY last year? What’s your current hip-hop AOTY?- RTJ2, TPAB
6. What are you listening to right now? - Summertime 06', Reasonable Doubt
7. What’s something you like that you might consider a guilty pleasure? What’s something you haven’t listened to that you think a hip-hop aficionado might give you shit for?-Em,Ye and Drake albums. Wu albums,Black Album and recently DS2.
8. Rank a Random Rapper’s Discography (Pick Someone With > 3 Albums)
The Eminem Show>MMLP>SSLP>Relapse>MMLP2>Recovery>Encore

GAF-Hop Discusses

1. What do you like about the current state of hip-hop? What’s missing from the game? Lots of great albums this year. Not enough mafioso albums but maybe that era has passed.
2. Who’s Your Favorite Wu-Tang Member?- Method Man
3. Jay-Z or Nas? Biggie or Pac? Young Thug or OG Maco? - Nas,Biggie, Thugga since I don't know who OG Maco is.
4. What Hip-Hop Album Are You Currently Anticipating? - VFT6, Nas' new album
5. Who is the Most Underrated Emcee? Who is the Most Overrated?- Depending on who you ask, Em fits into both categories. I've been told that Phenomenal is a great track and that Em has always been trash by different people.
6. Would You Rather Eat An Ass or Have Your Ass Eaten?- Would rather have my ass eaten but I like to eat asses too.
7. Onions, Avocados, Both, or Neither? - Neither
8. Do you still listen to Eminem? Why? - I still like the stuff he puts out, his last good track IMO was Guts Over Fear which isn't even a year old.
9. Who’s your favorite pop artist? And who’s the finest? - MJ if he qualifies, finest is either Tinashe or Ariana Grande.
10. Recall a personal event that went down about a week ago... - Got really drunk on my birthday and had to be wheeled out in a trolley.
goat response besides the Em stuff tbh.

Kyzer

Banned
Ive never, over the years, initiated. Guess its time.

Musical Tastes

1. Pick a Coast to rep (Chiraq or Atlantistan) - These aren't coasts? East Coast, and Chiraq between the two cuz Kanye Common Lupe Chance
2. What’s your favorite subgenre of rap? (Conscious/Backpack, Trap/Drill, Mafioso, WC Gangsta, Swag, Weed, Hyphy, Club, etc) - fuck this question. depends on the song more than anything, there are songs from each subgenre that make me want to say thats my favorite but at the end of the day it had a lot less to do with the subgenre and more to do with that tracks specific instrumentation and whatever else.
3. Favorite Artists (Pick Five) - ok this was hard. dont quote me on this because im pretty sure it changes hourly 1) Young Kanye 2) Young Eminem 3) J Cole 4) Drake/QM 5) Lupe Fiasco
4. Favorite Artists Outside of Hip-Hop (Pick Five) - 1) Coheed & Cambria 2) Michael Jackson 3)The Mars Volta 4) Drake/Quentin Miller 5) Bassnectar
5. What was your hip-hop AOTY last year? What’s your current hip-hop AOTY? 2014 Forest Hills Drive, I guess IYRTITL so far or Mr. Wonderful. Liked TPAB but havent given it enough time yet, also still haven't listened to Tetsuo & Youth or DS2 yet
6. What are you listening to right now? - random indie shit on soundcloud
7. What’s something you like that you might consider a guilty pleasure? What’s something you haven’t listened to that you think a hip-hop aficionado might give you shit for? I like a lot of Nicki Minaj's shit (sometimes shes got bars...), and I think people would give me shit for not knowing very much Wu-Tang.

Graduation > MBDTF > College Dropout > Late Registration > 808s and Heartbreaks >>> Yeezus

GAF-Hop Discusses

1. What do you like about the current state of hip-hop? What’s missing from the game? I like the diversity and the way its opening up to a more artistic view instead of just "real hip hop", but the worst part of the game right now is by far the move toward everything being the same trap beats and everyone rapping like the migos.
2. Who’s Your Favorite Wu-Tang Member? Method Man by far
3. Jay-Z or Nas? Biggie or Pac? Young Thug or OG Maco? Jay(sorry I always chooce sonics > content Nas is a better rapper IMO but thats not what gets you on my ipod), BIG, Thugga
4. What Hip-Hop Album Are You Currently Anticipating? jay Electronica rofl
5. Who is the Most Underrated Emcee? Who is the Most Overrated? Most underrated is probably Kendrick , most overrated is also somehow Kendrick. Stans ride too hard, haters need to check themselves too though
6. Would You Rather Eat An Ass or Have Your Ass Eaten? Eating a nice ass wouldn't be too bad, not sure about having my salad tossed..
7. Onions, Avocados, Both, or Neither? The fuck? What are we making? Either, both, and neither.
8. Do you still listen to Eminem? Why? No, he doesn't make good music anymore. My ears don't like it.
9. Who’s your favorite pop artist? And who’s the finest? Drake is the best pop artist, Tinashe is the baddest omg i cant stand it
10. Recall a personal event that went down about a week ago...my girlfriend Deirdre (deedee) kept bugging me while I was in the studio, I was excited to finally be able to yell, "DEEDEE GET OUT OF MY LABORATORY"

Nibel

Rumor: Jay Z wants to leave Tidal

Tidal has gone eerily quiet of late, apart from statements of support from Nicki Minaj and Madonna, and the word is that Jay Z is looking to get out. This ambitious undertaking has cost him millions of his own money because he never got the expected funding, he still hasn’t paid the licensing fees to the rights holders and no one is likely to throw him a life preserver and bail him out, so he has little choice at this point except to stop the bleeding. What will his exit strategy look like? Interesting to note that it’s not Apple, Sony, UMG or WMG that could be putting the final nail in the Tidal coffin, but Cash Money’s Slim and Baby Williams, with their copyright-infringement suit against the service for its recent exclusive with alienated label artist Lil Wayne.

Kyzer

Banned
I think he's lunchin if true. Fix the problems and stick it out, then when one day people are actually looking for a spotify/apple alternative they will be there. It was crazy of them to think they were literally gonna take over overnight. I think it would be a double mistake if all the investment and infrastructure they did was for nothing. Revise edit and fix what you got, and buckle down for the long game. If he wasn't ready for that since the beginning, it really was nothing more than a compulsive cash grab idea.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You forgot one.
Drake used to ride for Clipse haaard, Pusha especially, so Pusha dissing him must've hurt a little.
Oh yeah, forgot about this. He bought Clipse memorabilia off of eBay and shit, right?

Reminds me that Exodus 23:1 is still one of the hardest diss tracks in recent memory, shit is timeless and cuts deep.

Im loving how quiet their peers have been on this shit. Meek gonna regret speaking on the elephant in the room in rap. The rap song creation process get farmed/sourced out like pop music.
Yeah I think the implications here could be big. Either it's about to become more transparent than ever or they're gonna start locking out people who try to bring people out of their comfort zone.

It's not that big of a deal but Meek also probably regretting blowing this up after Drake is on the biggest song off of his album. Might be weird to perform now and he can't put out a video.

JohnDoe

Banned
I'm not new but thought I could give this a shot since I've never done it before.

Musical Tastes

1. Pick a Coast to rep (Chiraq or Atlantistan) - ATL
2. What’s your favorite subgenre of rap? (Conscious/Backpack, Trap/Drill, Mafioso, WC Gangsta, Swag, Weed, Hyphy, Club, etc) - Mafioso
3. Favorite Artists (Pick Five) - RZA, Jay-Z, MF DOOM, Kanye, Ghostface
4. Favorite Artists Outside of Hip-Hop (Pick Five) - Prince, Brian Eno, Sly Stone, Joni Michell, D'Angelo
5. What was your hip-hop AOTY last year? - Piñata
What’s your current hip-hop AOTY? - TPAB
6. What are you listening to right now? - DS2
7. What’s something you like that you might consider a guilty pleasure? - Drake
What’s something you haven’t listened to that you think a hip-hop aficionado might give you shit for? - A lot of 80s shit. I've barely scratched the surface there.
Kanye:
CD > LR > MBDTF > 808s > Graduation > Yeezus

GAF-Hop Discusses

1. What do you like about the current state of hip-hop? - The abundance of choice as far as types of music goes. I feel that if you keep an open mind and dig deep there's sonething for everyone out there right now.
What’s missing from the game? - The only thing "missing" right now would be a groundbreaking album that makes huge waves à la "The Chronic" for example. But I guess things are moving so fast in music nowadays and hip-hop has been here for a while now so it's gonna take a while.
2. Who’s Your Favorite Wu-Tang Member? - Ghostface Killah
3. Jay-Z or Nas? Biggie or Pac? Young Thug or OG Maco? - Jay, Biggie, Young Thug
4. What Hip-Hop Album Are You Currently Anticipating? - VFT6, Freddie Gibbs's next album
5. Who is the Most Underrated Emcee? - Right now I feel a lot of people are still sleeping on Gibbs but I think Piñata is changing that.
Who is the Most Overrated? - Immortal Technique
6. Would You Rather Eat An Ass or Have Your Ass Eaten? - I'd rather eat an ass.
7. Onions, Avocados, Both, or Neither? - Both
8. Do you still listen to Eminem? Why? - No. He's corny and his music is awful.
9. Who’s your favorite pop artist? And who’s the finest? - Rihanna is my favorite. Beyoncé is the finest.
10. Recall a personal event that went down about a week ago...
Ghostface and Action Bronson fuckery 🌚

Hold on a second... didn't Meek tweek that he's going to be in the lab on his way to Montreal? And still no diss track?!

So playing with Twitter my man... Just take the L and be done with all of this.

At this point it's probably over. Apple's successful launch has effectively made Tidal irrelevant. Spotify remains the big dog at free.99. My initial read of the situation was that Tidal was meant moreso as a premium service than a mainstream one. There was no free option because they wanted more serious consumers (better audio quality, exclusive content, etc). In short the goal was never to topple Spotify but instead to basically be a higher end alternative.

The problem is that most people don't give a fuck about audio quality, and the exclusive content has largely been half assed ("look, Beyonce playing piano! A video for a year old Jay-Z song!"). So right there you lose your hook for audiences.

The other problem was the launch. Self righteous, pretentious, laughable. Focused entirely on major multi million/billion dollar artists instead of highlighting any indies or smaller acts.

Jay-Z should have required exclusive content in exchange for that 3% partnership. None of the artists on stage own their music, and thus couldn't put exclusive albums on Tidal. But they could have released exclusive live performances (like Hov's b sides concert), documentaries, fan interaction shit, etc. I think Jack White did a concert on Tidal but that was it for the artists outside of Hov. The goal should have been to make Tidal effectively the Netflix of music streaming.

Fjordson

Pretty comfortable disregarding the people who didn't get Yeezus. Helps to know upfront.
damn.png

At this point it's probably over. Apple's successful launch has effectively made Tidal irrelevant. Spotify remains the big dog at free.99. My initial read of the situation was that Tidal was meant moreso as a premium service than a mainstream one. There was no free option because they wanted more serious consumers (better audio quality, exclusive content, etc). In short the goal was never to topple Spotify but instead to basically be a higher end alternative.

The problem is that most people don't give a fuck about audio quality, and the exclusive content has largely been half assed ("look, Beyonce playing piano! A video for a year old Jay-Z song!"). So right there you lose your hook for audiences.

The other problem was the launch. Self righteous, pretentious, laughable. Focused entirely on major multi million/billion dollar artists instead of highlighting any indies or smaller acts.

Jay-Z should have required exclusive content in exchange for that 3% partnership. None of the artists on stage own their music, and thus couldn't put exclusive albums on Tidal. But they could have released exclusive live performances (like Hov's b sides concert), documentaries, fan interaction shit, etc. I think Jack White did a concert on Tidal but that was it for the artists outside of Hov.
I don't have Tidal, but the exclusives have sounded completely uninteresting. And yeah, higher audio quality isn't enough to rope people in.

I kinda wanna get Apple Music. At least for the 3 month trial. Not even just for the streaming, I think the radio stuff is actually pretty interesting.

I think the diss is coming guys. Nobody in Meeks camp has tweeted all day.

Meek knows he can't tweet shit again until we hear a track because of that Twitter fingers line.

This cat really let Aubrey press him

At this point, unless Meek is coming out with Ether Pt.2, he might as well cop his plea, say he was wrong, take the mid-sized L and keep it moving.

Koozek

Pretty comfortable disregarding the people who didn't get Yeezus. Helps to know upfront.
Look, I understood what it was going for artistically and thought it was quite bold for Ye at the time, but on the other hand I don't really want to listen to it anymore.

Courage

I'm comfortable in calling Yeezus a classic. We won't ever see anything like it in this genre, from the buildup to the album, the circumstances surrounding the release, but also from a sonic standpoint.

Fjordson

Yeezus might be my favourite post-LR Ye album. Was expecting to hate it after not liking MBDTF, Watch the Throne and Cruel Summer, but it was dope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom