• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT14| The 6 God is Five Writers, And One False Idol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nibel

lol-wtf-7-5has8s.gif

Kyzer

Banned
Yeezus almost got there for me, but almost all of its high points were dragged down by the moments where some lyrics were uncharacteristically corny or amateurish for yeezy, and that combined with simplistic production took it from "minimalist classic" to "eh." in my opinion though Bound 2 is one of the best Kanye tracks we've heard in a very long time.

Fjordson

Yeezus had some hilarious lyrics. Part of why I liked it.

I am a god
So hurry up with my damn massage
In a French-ass restaurant
Hurry up with my damn croissants

Kopite

I like Yeezus. New Slaves, I am a God, Black Skinhead and Blood on the Leaves are all great.

The Xmas parody was good too.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Half the album should've been thrown in the recycle bin. The other half of good songs on the album were usually too short. Send it up for example.

Fjordson

Bound 2's beat is damn good, even if the lyrics are whatever. And Charlie Wilson's bit was dope.

Also never bought the idea about Kanye "trolling older fans" because it was a soul sample. Always seemed like bullshit overthinking imo. Think I read that on KTT though so maybe it was just a few crazy fans thinking that.

Kyzer

Banned
That's the weakest track in the album. It's like he felt he had to put something in to appease the old school Kanye fans. It goes against the entire vibe.

Interesting. Not to me. To me, it was the most sonically appealing song, and his most satisfying lyrical delivery on the album. It does go against the whole rest of the album's vibe, but what would that vibe even be? A fat square synth?

I "get" art more than most people, I'm pretty comfortable saying, and I happen to be familiar with the ins and outs of production from pre to post to publishing and back, and idk. The same way I don't think the beatles should get as much credit as they do, because the content of their music is agreeable from a philosophical and life-ideology point of view, I don't think Kanye should get that much credit for having a cohesive minimalist artistic vision.

Also, the stories of how the album ended up that way, with Rick Rubin and Kanye ripping songs down to their skeletons and him finishing lyrics in the final hours leading up to the deadline take away from even that angle of liking it. Sorry. I don't think it's not this big piece of art that people just don't "get", its Kanye West's most incomplete body of work.

Kanye is probably my favorite overall artist of all time, by the way.

Edit: It's also worth knowing, in order to sympathize with my perspective, that I prefer a good-sounding track over a song with a good message any day of the week. That's why I would put Bound 2 over New Slaves, for example. Talking about music is so hard ><

Courage

Also never bought the idea about Kanye "trolling older fans" because it was a soul sample. Always seemed like bullshit overthinking imo.

I don't think he was trolling them, but it's like he only put it in to use it as a single (and make that outrageous video). It's a shame because the rest of the album is uncompromising.

Listening to Fashawn's The Ecology and this shit is aight.

Fuck Nas' verse on Something to Believe In tho lmao

Money getter until I'm a one-percenter
Business is warfare, fuck you niggas

Fjordson

I don't think he was trolling them, but it's like he only put it in to use it as a single (and make that outrageous video). It's a shame because the rest of the album is uncompromising.
It's a weird inclusion to be sure, but I dunno. Nowhere close to the best song on there, but not a bad track for me.

Courage

come on what im trying to get that out of the way before someone tries to tell me I don't "get" yeezus or understand production or artistry

Well regardless, it's his most experimental album. There's a reason it's so polarizing. There isn't anything deep to grasp, as it's pretty blunt and straightforward.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Well regardless, it's his most experimental album. There's a reason it's so polarizing. There isn't anything deep to grasp, as it's pretty blunt and straightforward.
I mean if you don't get that it's supposed to be loud, abrasive, and energetic by the first five seconds of on site you already lost track of the album.

Literally my rankings

What is LO, though? Late Orchestration??
Yes, also, that's not my actual rankings. I just started randomly listing his albums. I don't really rank his albums cause that shit changes depending on what type of mood I'm in.

Kyzer

Banned
Vic Mensa is setting himself up to be one of the biggest disappointments of the generation if you ask me

He's about to launch and is already post-yeezus kanye personality-wise...and he's starting to bill himself as the rock and roll rapper which could end up making him look bad unless he's really about that life cuz its gonna look silly otherwise

Ugh..this is kinda what I mean though. Everyone keeps saying it's so experimental and crazy but it's not. To people that listen to other genres of music, Yeezus was not anything new. I hear shitty EDM all the time :p

People keep projecting their imaginary interpretations of everything behind yeezus like every thing that could be criticized was this artistic design choice or intentional nod from kanye to "make people" do this or think that or feel that.

But it's pretty obvious to me that it ran into a lot of problems (this is even backed up in interviews) and its pretty well known by now that the thing was falling apart and getting close to its deadline, and they completely stripped and revised it by the time it was finished, and it was done in a very rushed manner.

I don't buy it as this grand experimental push of the envelope. It was "saved" from catastrophe and Kanye is an art major who knows how to talk about his work. That's it.

If DJ Mustard could frame it the same way as Kanye, I bet people would defend his simplistic productions as well. (Obviously its good...but simplicity and uniqueness doesnt = experimental

PS - I know what you mean and where you're coming from though! I do like Yeezus. I always dig myself into argument-holes by being devils advocate for my own views on semantics and stuff.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Vic Mensa is setting himself up to be one of the biggest disappointments of the generation if you ask me

He's about to launch and is already post-yeezus kanye personality-wise...and he's starting to bill himself as the rock and roll rapper which could end up making him look bad unless he's really about that life cuz its gonna look silly otherwise
Hopefully he self implodes via kid cudi antics before he even gets started.

Daria

I think it has to do with the amount of support, money and everything else they get before actually being something. They put all this effort into getting to point B that they lose focus on what they really wanted in the beginning. Vic probably was about that life in one way or another before all of this but then he caught support from Kanye which would lift anybody's ego 100 levels up. He's trying to play ball in the big boy league without having done the amount of practice these vets have put in. "it's just practice" you say but let's be real, there's a standard set in place with making a song sound like your own and have it be held to a certain standard everywhere you show up after that.

Kyzer

Banned
I think it has to do with the amount of support, money and everything else they get before actually being something. They put all this effort into getting to point B that they lose focus on what they really wanted in the beginning. Vic probably was about that life in one way or another before all of this but then he caught support from Kanye which would lift anybody's ego 100 levels up. He's trying to play ball in the big boy league without having done the amount of practice these vets have put in. "it's just practice" you say but let's be real, there's a standard set in place with making a song sound like your own and have it be held to a certain standard everywhere you show up after that.

That's a really good way of putting it. He's hanging out with the big kids.

Courage

Ugh..this is kinda what I mean though. Everyone keeps saying it's so experimental and crazy but it's not. To people that listen to other genres of music, Yeezus was not anything new. I hear shitty EDM all the time :p

People keep projecting their imaginary interpretations of everything behind yeezus like every thing that could be criticized was this artistic design choice or intentional nod from kanye to "make people" do this or think that or feel that.

But it's pretty obvious to me that it ran into a lot of problems (this is even backed up in interviews) and its pretty well known by now that the thing was falling apart and getting close to its deadline, and they completely stripped and revised it by the time it was finished, and it was done in a very rushed manner.

I don't buy it as this grand experimental push of the envelope. It was "saved" from catastrophe and Kanye is an art major who knows how to talk about his work. That's it.

If DJ Mustard could frame it the same way as Kanye, I bet people would defend his simplistic productions as well. (Obviously its good...but simplicity and uniqueness doesnt = experimental

PS - I know what you mean and where you're coming from though! I do like Yeezus. I always dig myself into argument-holes by being devils advocate for my own views on semantics and stuff.

Read what I said. It's his most experimental album. I'm sure people that listen to industrial didn't think it was that left field, but fans of Kanye, and rap really, that don't listen to that type of music thought it was pretty different. You don't need any background knowledge to acknowledge that really. That's just how it is.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Read what I said. It's his most experimental album. I'm sure people that listen to industrial didn't think it was that left field, but fans of Kanye, and rap really, thought it was pretty different. You don't need any background knowledge to acknowledge that really. That's just how it is.

Your failing isn't in in defending it as experimental, it's when you conflate experimental and different with "good." It was experimental, for a Kanye record. Since it was "different' (again, only really for a Kanye record) there is a segment of the population who then believes it's good. From a certain point of view, this has merit, I suppose. If you're overdosed on samey music, something "different" can be stimulating.

But banging garbage cans together can stimulate in the way your 13th listen of a symphony may not. That doesn't make it good. Just different. Yeezus was different. It tried to wrangle together a cacophony of sharp sounds and broken melodies. In that sense it was different. In a very real sense, it just wasn't a very good album of music to listen to.

It was a great album for the Fantanos of the world to tongue probe, but it wasn't real interesting beyond the fact that it was different. For an "experimental" record, it managed to be one of the duller releases of the year. If any rapper without the history of Ye had released it, it would already be entirely forgotten. A dozen better experimental records are released every year, and were being released long before Ye tried to Jigga the subgenre.

Kyzer

Banned
Read what I said. It's his most experimental album. I'm sure people that listen to industrial didn't think it was that left field, but fans of Kanye, and rap really, thought it was pretty different. You don't need any background knowledge to acknowledge that really. That's just how it is.

Okay, I see what you mean, and for Kanye. It's different from usual, sure...kinda...

But even for hip-hop...calling it experimental is a stretch.... It's not that crazy (Bound 2 would actually probably be the most experimental track IMO lmao)..

Can you explain to me what was experimental about the album? I can't think of anything about it production-wise was new OR risky. Other than Bound. And why should he get any credit for experimentation when the whole reason the album sounded experimental at all was because they had to strip it down and he barely even finished his lyrics before it was due?

That's like calling this experimental:

jA1pxOq.jpg

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Game is all fucked up right now. Choose exclusivity deals between 2-3 different streaming companies all trying to make the most profit off of you. Choose between iHeartRadio or Hot97 and suffer the other one locking you out and refusing to play your music. Choose between labels who will help you stay relevant for a bigger slice or the volatile indie grind. Choose wisely.

Courage

Your failing isn't in in defending it as experimental, it's when you conflate experimental and different with "good." It was experimental, for a Kanye record. Since it was "different' (again, only really for a Kanye record) there is a segment of the population who then believes it's good. From a certain point of view, this has merit, I suppose. If you're overdosed on samey music, something "different" can be stimulating.

But banging garbage cans together can stimulate in the way your 13th listen of a symphony may not. That doesn't make it good. Just different. Yeezus was different. It tried to wrangle together a cacophony of sharp sounds and broken melodies. In that sense it was different. In a very real sense, it just wasn't a very good album of music to listen to.

It was a great album for the Fantanos of the world to tongue probe, but it wasn't real interesting beyond the fact that it was different. For an "experimental" record, it managed to be one of the duller releases of the year. If any rapper without the history of Ye had released it, it would already be entirely forgotten. A dozen better experimental records are released every year, and were being released long before Ye tried to Jigga the subgenre.

ok? If that's how you feel about it, that's cool. I don't think it's great solely because it's 'different' but I feel it did everything you're complaining about pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom