• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT14| The 6 God is Five Writers, And One False Idol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyzer

Banned
Game is all fucked up right now. Choose exclusivity deals between 2-3 different streaming companies all trying to make the most profit off of you. Choose between iHeartRadio or Hot97 and suffer the other one locking you out and refusing to play your music. Choose between labels who will help you stay relevant for a bigger slice or the volatile indie grind. Choose wisely.

its growing pains... on the other side of this calamity is the new music industry 2.0 where labels and publishers don't own every little thing the artist does and make every decision for them based on their own pockets. it will be glorious. the music industry is falling apart right now because it was one of the most convoluted businesses of all time, with 100 middle men (and gatekeepers!, the final hurdle for a paradigm shift) trying to get a cut of every piece of action. And now they have trouble even staying afloat with indie distribution flourishing. It's a lot like what gaming is going through because of mobile.

MoodyFog

Kill yourself.

Bogdan_Wolynetz.png

Tokubetsu

thread so demonic right now about to go full bankai on mfers
johndoe and daria about to align the chakras and let the sharingan go

UNmQzMf.gif

Courage

But even for hip-hop...calling it experimental is a stretch.... It's not that crazy (Bound 2 would actually probably be the most experimental track IMO lmao)..

Can you explain to me what was experimental about the album? I can't think of anything about it production-wise was new OR risky. Other than Bound. And why should he get any credit for experimentation when the whole reason the album sounded experimental at all was because they had to strip it down and he barely even finished his lyrics before it was due?

How about you find me something that sounds like it instead? Other than clipping, Dalek and Death Grips, which are also considered underground acts.

Esch

Banned
In the modern sense words like 'experimental' and 'progressive' are just pretty much just critic fodder. It's not really like Kanye was doing some john cage 4'33" shit that redefines the boundaries of music, he took a bunch of other dudes work and mashed it all together with his own sensibilities on top. It's only 'experimental' in the rap sense in that its giving a lot of availability to typically niche material.

just say you like it and it was a ballsy release for a pop artist and keep it moving

lXgZTVg.png

Daria

when people call Yeezus experimental they need to realize what he was trying to do on it. in the Zane Lowe interview he mentioned that Yeezus was just a test. it was "experimenting with different sounds" (rough quote there) he said, so that's why it's such a drastic change compared to his earlier albums. he's paving the way for his next album to make everything sound cohesive and he can pick and choose what "experimental" sounds he can work with and what needed to be shelved afterwards.

when people call Yeezus experimental they need to realize what he was trying to do on it. in the Zane Lowe interview he mentioned that Yeezus was just a test. it was "experimenting with different sounds" (rough quote there) he said, so that's why it's such a drastic change compared to his earlier albums. he's paving the way for his next album to make everything sound cohesive and he can pick and choose what "experimental" sounds he can work with and what needed to be shelved afterwards.

There it is, Ye himself admitted that it was just a bunch of shit thrown at the wall to see what sticks.

Glad we cleared that up.

Courage

what

why the fuck is context or intent needed? Just listen to the album and you can tell it sounds different than most releases. Fuck, why is this so difficult for some of you to understand?

Full Disclosure time brehs: I'm an unabashed Migos stan. I listened to their mixtapes more times than I care to admit.

But this latest record is super basura half way through.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
what

why the fuck is context or intent needed? Just listen to the album and you can tell it sounds different than most releases. Fuck, why is this so difficult for some of you to understand?

Why is it so hard to just say "I liked an album" without having to cram a load of empty phrases designed to make "I liked a thing" more intellectual than it is? It wasn't avant garde, it was only experimental in the framework of Kanye's musical output to that point and it sure as hell wasn't a classic by any definition of the word. People can't just say "I like this record." It's got to be some Rolling Stones-lite accumulation of cliched phraseology from 1975 Hunter-inspired stream of consciousness text mashed with tired words that are full of sound and fury and signifying exactly fuck all.

tl;dr: I didn't like a thing.

Courage

Why is it so hard to just say "I liked an album" without having to cram a load of empty phrases designed to make "I liked a thing" more intellectual than it is? It wasn't avant garde, it was only experimental in the framework of Kanye's musical output to that point and it sure as hell wasn't a classic by any definition of the word. People can't just say "I like this record." It's got to be some Rolling Stones-lite accumulation of cliched phraseology from 1975 Hunter-inspired stream of consciousness text mashed with tired words that are full of sound and fury and signifying exactly fuck all.

'Classic' for me personally. I'm not even trying to shove the album's greatness down anyone's throats. I don't know why you're insinuating that I think it's some avant-garde piece of art, when I'm in the camp that thinks it's experimental in the framework of his output, as you said.

Nibel

On the first day, Kanye sat in his studio. "How can I - brilliant mind, genius, avantgarde of nu-sûrreal creativity - revolutionize beats again?"

Then it hit him and he stood up. He went into a deep squat position, spread his buttcheeks.. and jumped on the producer soundboard, jumping around for 10 hours. This is how Yeezus production was born.

On the second day, Kanye sat in his studio. "How can I - brilliant mind, genius, flagship of inspiration and innovation - revolutionize vocals again?"

Then it hit him and he stood up. He went into a deep squat position, spread his buttcheeks.. and ran outside, grabbed the filthiest trash can, put it over his face and stood in front of the mic for 10 hours - he called this 'natural-surreal voice filter'. This is how Yeezus vocals were born.

On the final day, Kanye sat in his studio. "How can I - brilliant mind, genius, forefront of fantasia extravaganza - revolutionize myself again?"

Then it hit him and he stood up. He went into a deep squat position, spread his buttcheeks.. and accidentally shat a huge dump on the Versace carpet. Shocked and confused, he picked his shit up, saying "..this is it." and deleted all the work he did on the first two days. He smeared the shit over an empty CD, put it in his boombox and.. this is how the real Yeezus was born.

- the end

Daria

what

I don't think it's necessarily difficult to understand. most people a la music journalists just continue to ask what the hell artists are thinking when making a certain album/song even when the music should be interpreted on a individual basis.

WanderingWind

the minute artists actually *try* for that crossover appeal they tend to fail

Toku with the deep cut wisdom. Fucker should be on a mountain top with 30 concubines washing his hair while broken people ask him for advice. "Toku, what is the meaning of life?" they'll ask.

They won't be ready for the answer.

Koozek

That's why I often say "personal classic". Like The Love Below, Be, Fantastic Vol. 2, Butter, Glass Swords, etc.

EDIT: Hehe.
'Classic' for me personally. I'm not even trying to shove the album's greatness down anyone's throats. I don't know why you're insinuating that I think it's some avant-garde piece of art, when I'm in the camp that thinks it's experimental in the framework of his output, as you said.

On the first day, Kanye sat in his studio. "How can I - brilliant mind, genius, avantgarde of nu-sûrreal creativity - revolutionize beats again?"

Then it hit him and he stood up. He went into a deep squat position, spread his buttcheeks.. and jumped on the producer soundboard, jumping around for 10 hours. This is how Yeezus production was born.

On the second day, Kanye sat in his studio. "How can I - brilliant mind, genius, flagship of inspiration and innovation - revolutionize vocals again?"

Then it hit him and he stood up. He went into a deep squat position, spread his buttcheeks.. and ran outside, grabbed the filthiest trash can, put it over his face and stood in front of the mic for 10 hours - he called this 'natural-surreal voice filter'. This is how Yeezus vocals were born.

On the final day, Kanye sat in his studio. "How can I - brilliant mind, genius, forefront of fantasia extravaganza - revolutionize myself again?"

Then it hit him and he stood up. He went into a deep squat position, spread his buttcheeks.. and accidentally shat a huge dump on the Versace carpet. Shocked and confused, he picked his shit up, saying "..this is it." and deleted all the work he did on the first two days. He smeared the shit over an empty CD, put it in his boombox and.. this is how the real Yeezus was born.

- the end

doc-rivers.gif

Kyzer

Banned
How about you find me something that sounds like it instead? Other than clipping, Dalek and Death Grips, which are also considered underground acts.

Okay I'm going through the tracks and you're more right than I was giving credit for. I can see why you use the word experimental. I'll have a hard time finding another artist that raps over "beats" that are nothing but a synth that aren't on soundcloud. And definitely won't find another mainstream rapper with an album that sounds like that. But I still have a hard time agreeing. I think it's weird to call an album that was ripped to basics and barely finished "experimental", especially when, for those few tracks that you can definitely say sound experimental, it probably had nothing to do with Kanye, AND was not what he originally wanted the song to sound like. I definitely know what you mean now though. "Experimental" in a genre sense. I thought you meant like. He was being this crazy artist by making these crazy decisions. You mean experimental like. You would describe the genre as experimental hip hop.

HOLY

WanderingWind

That's why I often say "personal classic". Like The Love Below, Be, Fantastic Vol. 2, Butter, Glass Swords, etc.

Word. I'll defend say, GKMC as a modern classic all day long. On the other hand, I listen to Obie Trice's Cheers like, once a month still. That's a personal favorite of mine. But you got to have some self-awareness that not everything you love is a classic or even realistically great.

Average Man though. "Ayo, I'm focused..."

Daria

I'll listen in the order of (1) Hanna Montana (2) Handsome & Wealthy since you both linked those ones and (3) One Time to top it off.

Word. I'll defend say, GKMC as a modern classic all day long. On the other hand, I listen to Obie Trice's Cheers like, once a month still. That's a personal favorite of mine. But you got to have some self-awareness that not everything you love is a classic or even realistically great.

Average Man though. "Ayo, I'm focused..."

SOOOOO many people get salty once you call their favorite album trash and that will never end. Half of the billboard tracks are garbage but does the mass radio appeal make them an automatic "classic" when looking at the popular opinion from the mainstream view?

Kyzer

Banned
my biggest "personal classics" are

Man on the Moon: The End of Day by Kid Cudi
Finally Famous by Big Sean

I feel like I would have a hard time convincing hip hop heads that these are some of the best hip hop albums of all time, but they are to me. Im all about dem sounds in dere

Daria

so in the order they were given to you in?

yes assuming they're ranked from 5 flame emojis down to 4.5 fire emojis.

are you mad I insulted your art knowledge cheddar?

this I can agree on since it was released at a pinnacle point in my teenage years. every time it brings me back to those summer nights with people I don't talk to anymore and emotions crawl up from the abyss that I'd wish would stay hidden.

BlackJace

I feel like I would have a hard time convincing hip hop heads that these are some of the best hip hop albums of all time, but they are to me. Im all about dem sounds in dere

PEQmgcD.png
PEQmgcD.png
PEQmgcD.png

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

bf38863ca6db3cc2f5068b49b257c74e.640x360x61.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom