• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT14| The 6 God is Five Writers, And One False Idol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
R500yP7.gif

Koozek

Word. I'll defend say, GKMC as a modern classic all day long. On the other hand, I listen to Obie Trice's Cheers like, once a month still. That's a personal favorite of mine. But you got to have some self-awareness that not everything you love is a classic or even realistically great.

Average Man though. "Ayo, I'm focused..."

Exactly. I was hesitating for a moment, though, when it came to Be. I think you could safely call it an objective classic, no? The production is pure gold. Probably also Kanye's best solo production, meaning raw beats mostly made by himself (I assume at least) and not as a "conductor" in a collab with dozens of others like his later work.
What better album was their from a known rapper between '06 and '12?

EDIT: You know what, I'm going to listen to Finding Forever, which I slept on, to see how good Kanye's production is (though from what I remember it didn't necessarily achieve what Ye was aiming for, namely imitating Dilla with regards to the chopping-techniques).

Kyzer

Banned

ROFL

man FF was fire (im being serious nibel)

Wait For Me
Get It (DT) (award for best unintentionally homosexual lyrics)
Memories II
High
Live This Life
So Much More
What Goes Around
Celebrity
100 Keys

(and it had pretty good radio singles for what it was, good dance music. Dance (A$$), Marvin & Chardonnay, and I Do It)

and LOL at some of yall LEGITIMATELY bothered by people having different taste in music of all things

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Please, we can go through some post histories. Y'all fucking loved Finally Famous at the time. I think siddx called it his AOTY.

illadelph

I honestly like Sean more than most in here and fuck with Detroit, Dark Sky Paradise, and the Finally Famous tapes

didn't really like his first two studio albums at all, though

Kyzer

Banned
I honestly like Sean more than most in here and fuck with Detroit, Dark Sky Paradise, and the Finally Famous tapes

didn't really like his first two studio albums at all, though

my man illadelph!

yeah i might feel slightly different bro, I think FF (album) was the best in terms of body of work and lyrics and vibe, Dark Sky Paradise I think he's not as good at rapping anymore but his beat selection was whoaaaaaaaa. Hall of Fame was pretty bad but with a few tracks i really like.

Kyzer

Banned
wait WTF "Be" isn't considered a classic? to me its literally the best body of work so far to embody what hip hop is and JUST my style of beats ughh

alright yall are crazy add Be to my personal classics I guess but im pretty sure yall are lunchin if you dont agree

Big Sean cycle lets go

FF > DSP > FFVol.3 > Detroit > HoF

I don't think I've ever agreed point for point with a rankings list, but thereitiiiiia (RHQ voice)

Can't speak for everyone else, but I don't really mean it when I express condemnation for people's favorite stuff, nothing all that wrong with a bit of ribbing.

The lines get blurry on forums, but I don't think anyone's serious. At least I hope not. Everyone puts a few mediocre or trash albums on a pedestal. Gives you character.

Honestly, I'd be more wary of a person if they didn't like something that was widely panned or shrugged off.

Daria

The lines get blurry on forums, but I don't think anyone's serious. At least I hope not. Everyone puts a few mediocre or trash albums on a pedestal. Gives you character.

Honestly, I''d be more wary of a person if they didn't like something that was widely panned or shrugged off.

what are some examples? lets say 2010 and later just to keep it short

Koozek

wait WTF "Be" isn't considered a classic? to me its literally the best body of work so far to embody what hip hop is and JUST my style of beats ughh

alright yall are crazy add Be to my personal classics I guess but im pretty sure yall are lunchin if you dont agree

Honestly.

Courage, I swear I'd buy you a ticket to Germany so you can come and say to my face that Be isn't at least a semi-objective classic.

People were tripping over themselves to heap praise on BE when it came out. It's one of the few releases in the last decade you could argue was a real classic.

Plus contender for GOAT intro. Right after Twitter Fingers anyway.

Koozek

People were tripping over themselves to heap praise on BE when it came out. It's one of the few releases in the last decade you could argue was a real classic.

Thank you.

While we're at it, what comparable "real" classics where there between Be in '06 and (MBDTF in '11)/GKMC in '12? I can't remember anything, honestly.

Be ain't even a top 3 Common album but Ye stans will try to convince you otherwise
7mRlTCU.png

Okay, now I'm curious.

Fjordson

Thank you.

While we're at it, what comparable "real" classics where there between Be in '06 and (MBDTF in '11)/GKMC in '12? I can't remember anything, honestly.
Below The Heavens imo

edit: also Take Care imo. That will set some people off in here but meh

IrishNinja

ya'll really outchea hyping stripper advice and makommen tweets

i also really don't get how some of ya'll were just acknowledging how little any of drakes fanbase would care about ghostwriting but act like it's this huge nuke all the same

This is the same dude who didn't say shit when Kendrick went at his neck btw. He's not scared or concerned about Meek.

choosing safer/lower hanging fruit doesnt make you a braver hunter though, just smarter

You're gonna be wading through tens of thousands of 6 Goddesses convincing you Back to Back was fire when he didn't say shit and somehow managed to add credence to Meek's claims in a response diss to the allegations.

fam i know you didn't dig it, but it had some legit shots for a drake diss in 2015, and how exactly did it add credence to the ghostwriting bits? by not addressing them?

Gets his choice of any woman, multimillionaire, life is really hard for Aubrey.

How does he deal with it all

seriously, the pity-party for drizzy was interesting

It's a damn shame Elzhi isn't on that album. Obviously there are ugly business disputes between their manager and him but damn...even Dilla's brother is on that album, they've squashed beef with just about everyone but Elzhi. I think Houseshoes might be still on the outs with them too.

yup. was surprised how much i enjoyed it without him too, but the absence was felt

No surprise here

courage dont let them peterboi you in your own thread

*adds username to list* ��

that was the post that did it? did you miss all the prior recklessness

I'm comfortable in calling Yeezus a classic.

there's an entire spectrum people
why ya'll only wanna use the two ends

Lyrics in 2015 are overrated

we've got OTXV's title here

Bound 2 is a trash song due to historically bad lyrics.

but they're bad on purpose fam, you just don't get it #LEVELS #Suda51

cmon now, we all can get along in here

yo fuck that, look at all these gafhoppers laid back

Be isn't a classic, but nothing is a classic if you think about it

nah, Be can be a classic, so nuts to that

Be ain't even a top 3 Common album

Resurrection
Like Water for Chocolate

what else you got above it? One Day It'll All Make Sense? cmon now

Like Water For Chocolate > Resurrection > Be >> Finding Forever > The Dreamer, The Believer > One Day It'll All Make Sense > Can I Borrow a Dollar? >> Electric Circus > Universal Mind Control

aint even heard his 2014 album lmao

what are some examples? lets say 2010 and later just to keep it short

Really though, without combing through my hard drive some that come to mind are

- Riff Raff's music (some of it, anyway, can't defend all of this)
- Yung Lean's stuff
- Yelawolf's Trunk Muzik Returns (which I think is a legitimately great tape)
- The Game's Jesus Piece was a dope album that people just pushed past (especially with all those bonus tracks attached)
- Big Boi's Vicious Lies and Dangerous Rumors got a middling reception, I thought it was good

Esch

Banned
Like Water For Chocolate > Resurrection > Be >> Finding Forever > The Dreamer, The Believer > One Day It'll All Make Sense > Can I Borrow a Dollar? >> Electric Circus > Universal Mind Control

post-25374-Michael-Jordan-YEAH-gif-Imgur-X3MA.gif

except that you putting Can I Borrow A Dollar lower than The Dreamer the Believer and Finding forever rustled tf out of my jimmmies stop it

IrishNinja

mostly agreed, FF & Dreamer/Believer seem high, honestly
and Electric Circus over UMC? i gotta be the only dude on here that thought the latter wasn't complete shit then, damn

IrishNinja

i should maybe revisit Electric Circus but see Esh's post on progressive =/= good

Electric Circus is good brehs. And better than Be.
not by much but still

hold on, im searching coli for that next level FOH gif to better encapsulate my feelings

Wasn't even bad tbh. Not top tier Common, but not trash either.

kinda forgettable though, as we're proving right now
also see: whatever the roots did last

Mid-tier Common albums kinda blur together in my head, I aint heard them in a minute. Main thing there are three great albums, 2 awful ones, and some decent-to-solid ones in between.

Fjordson

Man, I loved Below The Heavens. Exile, whew.
Seriously one of my favourite producers. The number of great beats under his belt is crazy.

Blu's also one of my favourite rappers, but he hasn't really lived up to his potential after Below the Heavens.

IrishNinja

man, i still gotta give her favorite colour or whatever a proper spin...that one wasn't recorded in a train station bathroom as i recall

Trey

Just found out the other day the Blu is still making music.

For some reason the feeling is similar to running into your high school teacher years after you graduate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom